Can we finally admit the Wii U is last generation now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Because basing a generation of anything on anything other than time makes no sense at all? Generations of basketball players aren't defined on skill, generations of pokemon cards aren't based on usefulness of the cards or power, generations of CEO aren't based on success. They are all based on being the successor to the previous lineage and its the same for consoles. Why are you trying so hard?

GD1551

I'm not trying hard at all, because console generations have always been defined by increasing hardware capabilities. As I said earlier this was never an issue before the Wii because most consoles were in the same ballpark of power, but with the Wii and Wii U the issues arises. If a 1960 camry was built exactly like how it was in 1960, today.. would you consider it a modern car?

No, they have been defined by being successor to previous hardware. The fact that they were more powerful is not important. And lol, that analogy is so stupid I'm not going to entertain. Just explain, is what I said about basketball, cards and CEOs inaccurate or does it make sense? Because really, that should be where this argument was decided.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

I'm not trying hard at all, because console generations have always been defined by increasing hardware capabilities. As I said earlier this was never an issue before the Wii because most consoles were in the same ballpark of power, but with the Wii and Wii U the issues arises. If a 1960 camry was built exactly like how it was in 1960, today.. would you consider it a modern car?

GD1551

Even by THAT definition the WiiU would be considered 8th gen since IT IS more powerful than the Wii. Thanks for clearing that up

Except the U uses 10 year old parts.

What 10 year old parts are it using? Video card? Nope that's not 10 years old. CPU? Nope that's not 10 years old either? Modified version of BR? Nope unless they had BR 10 years ago. What exactly is it using that's 10 years old?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Authority on this?

Cranler

Because basing a generation of anything on anything other than time makes no sense at all? Generations of basketball players aren't defined on skill, generations of pokemon cards aren't based on usefulness of the cards or power, generations of CEO aren't based on success. They are all based on being the successor to the previous lineage and its the same for consoles. Why are you trying so hard?

Generation and "next gen" are two completely different terms. Comparing humans to technology?

I used cards as well just to make a point and the next generation would be the genration after the current one. That would be what the WiiU embodies wouldn't it? We're just gonna go back and forth but frankly there are about 20000 examples that support the stance of time and really nothing supporting your want for it to be hardware so I don't see why I'm still habing this discsussion.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] Were talking CONSOLE GENERATIONS here. Thought that would be clear. Who plays handhelds? Long car rides? Toilet? Airplanes? Useless, but I guess kids like them. Advid-Gamer

There is no difference, you're clueless.

No difference? ok. Dumbass

Compelling argument champ   :lol:

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="kingtito"] It's still a 360 no matter how many sku's come out. The WiiU ISN'T the same as the Wii. Stop trying to change the rules because YOU don't happen to agree with them. kingtito
You obviously didnt read what I was replying to. The wii was such a tiny improvement over the Gamecube that I consider both of those to be the same gen of console technology.

You can consider it all you like as long are you realize your opinion =/= truth. GC == 6th gen, Wii == 7th gen and WiiU == 8th

Next gen=/=generation Popular opinion doesnt make something right.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#156 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

Look in Webster.

If the official definition isn't enough, then I don't know what would be.

If I remember correctly, we tend to go by the original definitions for things. Even with multiple definitions they all are still fairly absolute on their meanings.

Nowhere in there does it say anything about an advantageous evolution of anything when it comes to tech. You can imply it, but you can never say its there.

Cranler

Webster doesnt even have next generation in their online dictionary. Cambridge does

next-generation

next-generation: listen to British English pronunciationnext-generation: listen to American pronunciationadjective[before noun]

Definition

used to describe a product that has been developed using the latest technology and will probably replace an existing product:

I typed in just generation myself and it had nothing on that.

Guess it really does depend on what you are talking about. You could say that the WiiU is next gen even if its not a big jump. It does have the gamepad still which that definition says that its using the latest technology, but thats a stretch.

Hell even the PS4 doesn't use the latest technology. I guess none of them are next gen though since it seems not even the straight definition works well for either of them. Only PC can really say anything about it.

I guess we have to play it fast and loose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#157 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="kingtito"] I'm an idiot because you dumb@asses are trying to change the rules of the game? Since when has a generation been determined by power? Yeah that's what I thought kidkingtito
What did you prove with that post "kid"? Consoles have generally been the same power since the snes, Like I said u are a idiot.

So what. That doesn't mean they're catagorized by release dates. I think the only idiot here is YOU and yes you're acting like a kid so I called you one.

Your right it is the next gen nintendo console, thats a fact, fact is they just caught up with the current gen. Its a play on words everyone knows it is the new gen nintendo, but people are not calling it next gen because it dosent belong there. That is all. Nit pick it to death

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="Cranler"] You obviously didnt read what I was replying to. The wii was such a tiny improvement over the Gamecube that I consider both of those to be the same gen of console technology. Cranler
You can consider it all you like as long are you realize your opinion =/= truth. GC == 6th gen, Wii == 7th gen and WiiU == 8th

Next gen=/=generation Popular opinion doesnt make something right.

Next generation =/= generation? That's deep.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
The Wii U is current gen (same as PS3/360) to me. If you expect me to consider the Wii U as gen 8, then I expect you to consider the PS4 as gen 9.
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#160 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

Are you stupid? :| Are you another ShadowMoses? :lol:

Michael0134567

:lol:

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

The Wii U is current gen (same as PS3/360) to me. If you expect me to consider the Wii U as gen 8, then I expect you to consider the PS4 as gen 9.AmazonTreeBoa
Nope

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

lol, look at all this incessant bickering.

It's a next gen console with current gen hardware, there is your answer.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Cranler
[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

Look in Webster.

If the official definition isn't enough, then I don't know what would be.

If I remember correctly, we tend to go by the original definitions for things. Even with multiple definitions they all are still fairly absolute on their meanings.

Nowhere in there does it say anything about an advantageous evolution of anything when it comes to tech. You can imply it, but you can never say its there.

Webster doesnt even have next generation in their online dictionary. Cambridge does

next-generation

next-generation: listen to British English pronunciationnext-generation: listen to American pronunciationadjective[before noun]

Definition

used to describe a product that has been developed using the latest technology and will probably replace an existing product:

Guess it really does depend on what you are talking about. You could say that the WiiU is next gen even if its not a big jump. It does have the gamepad still which that definition says that its using the latest technology, but thats a stretch.

Hell even the PS4 doesn't use the latest technology. I guess none of them are next gen though since it seems not even the straight definition works well for either of them. Only PC can really say anything about it.

Sony could have integrated the Vita with the PS 3 to work just like the Wiiu but that wouldnt make the PS 3 suddenly next gen. It means latest tech for that type of product.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#164 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
Console generations are not determined by power at all, it's all written down here, its by succession Magnavox oddyssey Ves-Atari2600 Coleco vision-NES-Sega master system Snes-Megadrive Ps1-N64-Atari jaguar-Saturn-3DO-pippin Ps2-Gamecube-xbox Ps3-Wii-Xbox 360 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

deangallop
I pointed that out already but no one seemed to get it. People are not calling it next gen because it is same tech as this gen, sheep are splitting hairs, yes sheep we know the console was just released, but it wont fit in with the "next gen" consoles. You get it now?
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]The Wii U is current gen (same as PS3/360) to me. If you expect me to consider the Wii U as gen 8, then I expect you to consider the PS4 as gen 9.vaderhater

Nope

Okay then. I can't consider the Wii U as 8th gen either.
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 vaderhater

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

Advid-Gamer

I pointed that out already but no one seemed to get it. People are not calling it next gen because it is same tech as this gen, sheep are splitting hairs, yes sheep we know the console was just released, but it wont fit in with the "next gen" consoles. You get it now?

You intend to change that to fit your goals?

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 vaderhater

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]The Wii U is current gen (same as PS3/360) to me. If you expect me to consider the Wii U as gen 8, then I expect you to consider the PS4 as gen 9.AmazonTreeBoa

Nope

But it is no matter what You think.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="deangallop"]

vaderhater

You intend to change that to fit your goals?

What goals?
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Cranler

Console generations are not determined by power at all, it's all written down here, its by succession Magnavox oddyssey Ves-Atari2600 Coleco vision-NES-Sega master system Snes-Megadrive Ps1-N64-Atari jaguar-Saturn-3DO-pippin Ps2-Gamecube-xbox Ps3-Wii-Xbox 360 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

delta3074

It says the PS 4 will be the first of the new gen.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#171 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Nope its next gen but has its own generation at least according to Sony.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"]Webster doesnt even have next generation in their online dictionary. Cambridge does

next-generation

Definition

Cranler

Sony could have integrated the Vita with the PS 3 to work just like the Wiiu but that wouldnt make the PS 3 suddenly next gen. It means latest tech for that type of product.

No its says latest technology for that type of product, as in the PS4 could have had a stronger GPU than it does now which there are a couple better than it. Not to mention a stronger CPU than it does now, with even more RAM. The controller may be the only thing next gen that I saw on it and even still that may not use the latest tech on Move capabilities and such. The WiiU has a new fangled gamepad which has never been made the way it has been before, but its still going off the idea of an old product. Still pretty loose.

You can twist this in any way. Thats why I said fast and loose. Just going off what was given in front of me. My definition wouldn't work, but neither is the next-gen one worth a damn either, which really bugs the crap out of me.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="vaderhater"]Nope

vaderhater

As it is no matter what you think, so wtf is your point? Do you even have one?
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#174 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Console generations are not determined by power at all, it's all written down here, its by succession Magnavox oddyssey Ves-Atari2600 Coleco vision-NES-Sega master system Snes-Megadrive Ps1-N64-Atari jaguar-Saturn-3DO-pippin Ps2-Gamecube-xbox Ps3-Wii-Xbox 360 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

Cranler

It says the PS 4 will be the first of the new gen.

NO it doesn't, can you read? 'Sony's Playstation 4 is the latest major eight generation console.' Latest is not first 'On the home console front, the Wii U introduces a controller/tablet hybrid whose features include the possibility of augmented reality in gaming. Microsoft is expected to release a new eighth generation console later in the year.' Learn to read dude.
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 vaderhater

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] Okay then. I can't consider the Wii U as 8th gen either. AmazonTreeBoa

Why is it important for you to try and spin the Wii-U as not an 8th gen console? Loser desperation I smell here?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#176 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
TC, go post where they do then. In E3 MS has called games like l4D exclusive even though they are on PC. Here, they are multiplats. MS are apart of the industry and seem to define multis different. Doesn't matter, because we post in SW, and here WiiU, PS4 and Nextbox are 8th gen. Deal with it. You can still not buy WiiU, not like it, make fun of it. But it is the new gen.
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 vaderhater

TC, go post where they do then. In E3 MS has called games like l4D exclusive even though they are on PC. Here, they are multiplats. MS are apart of the industry and seem to define multis different. Doesn't matter, because we post in SW, and here WiiU, PS4 and Nextbox are 8th gen. Deal with it. You can still not buy WiiU, not like it, make fun of it. But it is the new gen.cainetao11
They love to try and spin reality. Especially sold numbers.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

TC, go post where they do then. In E3 MS has called games like l4D exclusive even though they are on PC. Here, they are multiplats. MS are apart of the industry and seem to define multis different. Doesn't matter, because we post in SW, and here WiiU, PS4 and Nextbox are 8th gen. Deal with it. You can still not buy WiiU, not like it, make fun of it. But it is the new gen.cainetao11

Has valve ever called L4D exclusive? MS is being biased in that regard because it benefits them to say such things, these statements I am using however are unbiased 3rd party developers/publishers. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#179 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It's still roughly 2x Xbox 360's output and has 4x speed blu-ray discs for games.  And another innovative controller and an amazing gamepad.  And next gen UI and OS.  And it would be next generation no matter what because that's how it goes... new console, new gen.

So, no.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#180 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

I dont know if its last gen...

But its sure not a part of PS4 and Nextbox's generation thats for damn sure

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#181 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

[QUOTE="cainetao11"]TC, go post where they do then. In E3 MS has called games like l4D exclusive even though they are on PC. Here, they are multiplats. MS are apart of the industry and seem to define multis different. Doesn't matter, because we post in SW, and here WiiU, PS4 and Nextbox are 8th gen. Deal with it. You can still not buy WiiU, not like it, make fun of it. But it is the new gen.vaderhater

They love to try and spin reality. Especially sold numbers.

Cows are some of the most hypocritical, delusional posters on here. In the PS4 sticky someone said in response to there being no PS4 at the conference and games being shown on a PC, "they have one running in the office". Are you effin kidding me? Cows are willing to lie to cover for a PS4 event that didn't show us a PS4. If Ninty or MS did that it would be the end of the world.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#182 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Amazing as PS4 games like Killzone SF and Witcher 3 are going to look, we'll see some amazing stuff from Nintendo as well.

In addition to being twice as capable as 360, Nintendo won't use processing power for all the particle and crazy effects you see in some of these games putting on a spectacle.  Just pure art is what they show.

People will be picking their jaws from the floor when they show the new 3d mario and whatever Retro's doing.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

The wii u is IMO current gen .5 meaning it is better than the current gen but not next gen. What really worries me is that it will be so waek that 3rd party ports won't be possible with out lots of work. Unless the wii u moves alot of units then I doubt 3rd parties will spend money to port games to it. So it will get ps3/360 ports for a little while but not next gen games.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

People want to write off the Wii U as being last gen so they wont have to acknowledge the high scores, inevitable GOTYs, and likely high sales.

Same way people tried to put the Wii in its own category last gen to discredit any accomplishments it had.

Preemptive damage control at its worst.

I will laugh my ass off if the Wii U outsells the PS4 this coming holiday and gets a goty... "but, bu, bu teh standerdz!"  :cry:

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

People want to write off the Wii U as being last gen so they wont have to acknowledge the high scores, inevitable GOTYs, and likely high sales.

Same way people tried to put the Wii in its own category last gen to discredit any accomplishments it had.

I will laugh my ass off if the Wii U outsells the PS4 this coming holiday and gets a goty... "but, bu, bu teh standerdz!"  :cry:

sandbox3d

That's a whole lotta "ifs"

At the end of the day the PS4 will in all likely-hood be a better system with a better library, and in the end that's what matters to gamers...not sales numbers.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#186 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I dont know if its last gen...

But its sure not a part of PS4 and Nextbox's generation thats for damn sure

Zaibach

The Wii U will be directly competing against the PS4 and 720,so yes, it is part of the same generation.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

deangallop

That's a whole lotta "ifs"

At the end of the day the PS4 will in all likely-hood be a better system with a better library, and in the end that's what matters to gamers...not sales numbers.

Sure is a lot of ifs.  Nintendo getting high scoring games and Gotys really isnt though.  They've been doing that non-stop since the 80s.

PS4 will absolutely be a better system on a technical level and I'm 99% sure it will have a MUCH better library.

The gist of my post was not sales #s, but it seems thats all you really took from it.

All I'm saying is that Wii U is current gen and people are just trying to marginalize it early on for their own fanboyish intents.

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 vaderhater

sandbox3d

The whole point of this crusade by them is to discredit the Wii-U for some of those reasons. Next if it would suit them somehow they would go back and discredit the Wii. Just watch the hollow victory fest.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

sandbox3d

Yep, history has sure proven that Nintendo normally gets those haha.

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#190 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

Congratz TC on successfully pissing everyone off. :lol:

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

GD1551

Highest scoring games in every gen since they've been making games?  Yep.  Tons of GotYs?  Yep.  Top selling games?  Yep.  Hardware sales can go either way, but barring the Gamecube they're usually up there.

I know you tried to be sarcastic, but all you need to do is look at the facts.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="vaderhater"]But it is no matter what You think.

vaderhater

Why is it important for you to try and spin the Wii-U as not an 8th gen console? Loser desperation I smell here?

I (like many) go by tech advancement, not release date. I could release a console next year with the specs of an Atari 2600 and by your logic, it would be next gen. No, I don't think so.
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
can not take this serious since it quotes pachter the guy who is full of crap. it is like everything he says the exact opposite happens. i remember recently when he was at the vgas and he said the twd and journey were only up for goty for show and they had no chance of winning. look how that turned out. if we are going by what he says the wii u will be best seller.
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 vaderhater

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] As it is no matter what you think, so wtf is your point? Do you even have one?AmazonTreeBoa

I (like many) go by tech advancement, not release date. I could release a console next year with the specs of an Atari 2600 and by your logic, it would be next gen. No, I don't think so.

Tough

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

GD1551

Actually yes, yes it has.  Were you trying to be funny?

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#196 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

ConanTheStoner

You guys are all thinking way too deep into this lol. But its funny watching tho. :D

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

i don't consider wii u to be a real console. everyone has known all along it would be ps4 vs 720.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

sanim02

You guys are all thinking way too deep into this lol. But its funny watching tho. :D

I have no idea whats deep about that.  He was acting like they don't when clearly they do.  Its simple actually.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#199 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Nope it current gen, just like PS4 and Xbox whatever. The Wii U is the successor to the Wii which was the successor to the GC, just like PS4 is the successor to PS3 which was the successor to PS2, etc.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

ConanTheStoner

I have no idea whats deep about that.  He was acting like they don't when clearly they do.  Its simple actually.

lmao nice sig.