Can we finally admit the Wii U is last generation now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

You guys are all thinking way too deep into this lol. But its funny watching tho. :D

rjdofu

I have no idea whats deep about that.  He was acting like they don't when clearly they do.  Its simple actually.

lmao nice sig.

:lol:

I forgot I even had it.  Is that guy banned now?  I haven't seen him since that day.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

People want to write off the Wii U as being last gen so they wont have to acknowledge the high scores, inevitable GOTYs, and likely high sales.

Same way people tried to put the Wii in its own category last gen to discredit any accomplishments it had.

Preemptive damage control at its worst.

I will laugh my ass off if the Wii U outsells the PS4 this coming holiday and gets a goty... "but, bu, bu teh standerdz!"  :cry:

ConanTheStoner

Yep, history has sure proven that Nintendo normally gets those haha.

Actually yes, yes it has.  Were you trying to be funny?

Actually it hasn't, they've had the least games for 3 generations now, 6 GOTYs, 3 of which being on the GC, the least sales bar this generation (hurr dreamcast). So I don't know what you are talking about.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
It's easier to consider it 8th gen for discussion. It will be up against the PS4 and Durango. Apart from that, who really cares? Whether I consider something worthwhile or not is what I care about.
stayhigh1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 stayhigh1
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

When the Playstation 4 announced it was hard for me to remember if the WiiU is real or not..Does it exist? Just read the title it was a last gen console no wonder

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Yep, history has sure proven that Nintendo normally gets those haha.

GD1551

Actually it hasn't, they've had the least games for 3 generations now, 6 GOTYs, 3 of which being on the GC, the least sales bar this generation (hurr dreamcast). So I don't know what you are talking about.

Ok, so again.  They get lots of gotys.  Lots of high scoring games, usually (pretty much always) the highest scoring of the gen.  Lots of high selling games.  And besides the GC there hardware always does very well.

What you're dealing with, in basic terms, is Scotoma.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

I have no idea whats deep about that.  He was acting like they don't when clearly they do.  Its simple actually.

rjdofu

lmao nice sig.

GLove093093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 GLove093093
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts
Generation isn't determined by specs.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

ConanTheStoner

Ok, so again.  They get lots of gotys.  Lots of high scoring games, usually (pretty much always) the highest scoring of the gen.  Lots of high selling games.  And besides the GC there hardware always does very well.

So how did that work out this gen? I like how you use the word "lots" liberally, when they always have by far the least, and who cares about having the highest scoring game this gen? Again the "lots" of high selling games.. lol, you mean all the Mario games right?....lmao the 64 and GC did not sell well.

Avatar image for Sir-I_exCalibur
Sir-I_exCalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Sir-I_exCalibur
Member since 2013 • 724 Posts
Doesnt matter what gen it is, fact is: PS4 > PC > Wiiu > 720.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Generation isn't determined by specs.GLove093093
This. I don't understand why people think it is....
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#211 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]No, it's not determined by power. GD1551

Then what is it determined by? It seems quite clear at least to the industry, that it's determined by capabilities of the system.

No. The industry defines generations by model succession. The Wii U succeeded the Wii, just as Wii succeeded Gamecube, that succeeded SNES, and so on. Same as PS3 succeeded PS2... do you see how this works now?

Only ignorant and biased fanboys use the "power argument". Which is irrelevant since power isn't always equal within the same generation. Or do you want to say PS2 wasn't in the same generation as Xbox and Gamecube, going by your "logic" (and I'm being generous granting the word logic in your case here)

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="delta3074"]Console generations are not determined by power at all, it's all written down here, its by succession Magnavox oddyssey Ves-Atari2600 Coleco vision-NES-Sega master system Snes-Megadrive Ps1-N64-Atari jaguar-Saturn-3DO-pippin Ps2-Gamecube-xbox Ps3-Wii-Xbox 360 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

delta3074

It says the PS 4 will be the first of the new gen.

NO it doesn't, can you read? 'Sony's Playstation 4 is the latest major eight generation console.' Latest is not first 'On the home console front, the Wii U introduces a controller/tablet hybrid whose features include the possibility of augmented reality in gaming. Microsoft is expected to release a new eighth generation console later in the year.' Learn to read dude.

It says:Sony's Playstation 4 will be the first console of the 8th generation.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="Heil68"]No, it's not determined by power. jg4xchamp
Yeah in the using the word correctly sense, the term isn't judged by power. But it's clearly not in the same damn league as the other 3.

Which may very well be, but as anybody with a grasp of logic can understand, "leagues" is not the same thing as "generations".

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

So how did that work out this gen? I like how you use the word "lots" liberally, when they always have by far the least, and who cares about having the highest scoring game this gen? Again the "lots" of high selling games.. lol, you mean all the Mario games right?....lmao the 64 and GC did not sell well.

You're really trying hard to sweep anything Nintendo under the rug.  I have no idea this is such a personal issue for you.  Either that, or you're just oblivious to the facts.

You tried to say that historically, Nintendo does not have these merits.  Yet all you have to do is look at some #s to see that you're wrong.

You try to say that Nintendo doesnt get high scoring games.  It is a fact that they have among the most high scoring titles each gen.

You try to say Nintendo doesnt get GotYs.  It is a fact that Nintendo gets them each gen.

You try to say that Nintendo hardware doesnt sell well.  Again, minus the Gamecube, they always manage at least reasonable hardware sales, and sometimes great!

And yes, Mario does sell well.  Is that not allowed?  You wouldnt be trying to curve this argument to fit with your desired beliefs would you?  Anyways, its not just Mario.  They have tons of great selling games.

You're very quick to cherry pick data that suits you and ignore anything and everything that does not.

Very transparent my friend.  Like an open book.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Cranler
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

No, it's not determined by power. Heil68

Then what is it determined by? It seems quite clear at least to the industry, that it's determined by capabilities of the system.

No. The industry defines generations by model succession. The Wii U succeeded the Wii, just as Wii succeeded Gamecube, that succeeded SNES, and so on. Same as PS3 succeeded PS2... do you see how this works now?

Only ignorant and biased fanboys use the "power argument". Which is irrelevant since power isn't always equal within the same generation. Or do you want to say PS2 wasn't in the same generation as Xbox and Gamecube, going by your "logic" (and I'm being generous granting the word logic in your case here)

So if Sega released a monster console it would be 7th gen?
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Cranler"]

Cranler

NO it doesn't, can you read? 'Sony's Playstation 4 is the latest major eight generation console.' Latest is not first 'On the home console front, the Wii U introduces a controller/tablet hybrid whose features include the possibility of augmented reality in gaming. Microsoft is expected to release a new eighth generation console later in the year.' Learn to read dude.

"Aside from the usual hardware enhancements, consoles of the eighth generation focus on further integration with other media and increased connectivity. Sony's Playstation 4 is the latest major eight generation console. The portable consoles include new features like glasses-free 3D (from the Nintendo 3DS), and rear touch pads and dual analog sticks (from Sony's PlayStation Vita). On the home console front, the Wii U introduces a controller/tablet hybrid whose features include the possibility of augmented reality in gaming. Microsoft is expected to release a new eighth generation console later in the year." Attempt to edit wiki status: FAIL!
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Cranler

Swing and a miss.

Avatar image for Sir-I_exCalibur
Sir-I_exCalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Sir-I_exCalibur
Member since 2013 • 724 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Cranler"]

Cranler

Another gen, another troll post by delta, nothing to see here folks.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Who cares? It is only a term. What's the fuss about it? > It is the next iteration of a Nintendo system, aka next gen. > And next gen doesn't mean powerful hardware as we have seen multiple times.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#220 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
No, why would we? The Wii wasn't in the Xbox/PS2/GC generation because it was essentially an overclocked Gamecube. Don't be an idiot TC.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Cranler
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Cranler"]

NO it doesn't, can you read? 'Sony's Playstation 4 is the latest major eight generation console.' Latest is not first 'On the home console front, the Wii U introduces a controller/tablet hybrid whose features include the possibility of augmented reality in gaming. Microsoft is expected to release a new eighth generation console later in the year.' Learn to read dude.delta3074

"Aside from the usual hardware enhancements, consoles of the eighth generation focus on further integration with other media and increased connectivity. Sony's Playstation 4 is the latest major eight generation console. The portable consoles include new features like glasses-free 3D (from the Nintendo 3DS), and rear touch pads and dual analog sticks (from Sony's PlayStation Vita). On the home console front, the Wii U introduces a controller/tablet hybrid whose features include the possibility of augmented reality in gaming. Microsoft is expected to release a new eighth generation console later in the year." Attempt to edit wiki status: FAIL!

Work submitted to Wikipedia can be edited, used, and redistributedby anyone, ie wiki has no credibility.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Cranler
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Swing and a miss.

Dodging the question.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Cranler

I've seen term next gen used by authors in articles to define the next steps in tech. So it seems that like many other words in our language it has multiple meanings.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Its a next gen system with last gen specs but here on SW its better to call this relic next gen so Sheep sleep well at night.
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

ugh.. why do people even care about what generation a system is in? it makes no difference.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

ugh.. why do people even care about what generation a system is in? it makes no difference.

Sword-Demon

On SW everything that gives an edge matters!

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] So if Sega released a monster console it would be 7th gen? Cranler

Swing and a miss.

Dodging the question.

If sega did release a new console now, it would be an 8th gen system as it's in the release cycle of the PS4 and Wii U. Again power has nothing to do with it.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Only on these forums can someone try to change the definition of a f*cking word just to support their argument.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
Let's just say it's 8th gen and PS4/720 are 9th gen.
MasterX666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 MasterX666
Member since 2013 • 359 Posts
People stop posting in this thread... It makes it look as if someone cares about the WiiU
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Let's just say it's 8th gen and PS4/720 are 9th gen.fernandmondego_

Yeah lets do that. Ouya and Wii U can duke it out in the 8th gen while PS4/720 will bring about the 9th gen :P

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Let's just say it's 8th gen and PS4/720 are 9th gen.BPoole96

Yeah lets do that. Ouya and Wii U can duke it out in the 8th gen while PS4/720 will bring about the 9th gen :P

Fun fact: Did you know that ouya will see yearly releases? :P
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#233 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

WiiU - 8th Gen

PS4 - 8th Gen

Is it really that hard to understand :?

MasterX666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 MasterX666
Member since 2013 • 359 Posts

WiiU - 8th Gen

PS4 - 8th Gen

madsnakehhh
Yes...Yes it is
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 fernandmondego_

WiiU - 8th Gen

PS4 - 9th Gen

madsnakehhh
Fixed.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Let's just say it's 8th gen and PS4/720 are 9th gen.Pete-B

Fun fact: Did you know that ouya will see yearly releases? :P

8th Generation of console: Fall 2012 - Fall 2013 gg Nintendo
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#237 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

WiiU - 8th Gen

PS4 - 9th Gen

fernandmondego_

Fixed.

It must be true if you say it :roll:

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

Wii-U ,PS4and the next Xbox are all 8th gen.

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

WiiU - 8th Gen

PS4 - 9th Gen

madsnakehhh

Fixed.

It must be true if you say it :roll:

It sure is:)
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Cranler
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Swing and a miss.

Dodging the question.

If sega did release a new console now, it would be an 8th gen system as it's in the release cycle of the PS4 and Wii U. Again power has nothing to do with it.

Wasnt it you who said the industry defines generations by model succession. So is it model succession or when its released?
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#241 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Generations are not determined by power.

Boolehoo, it's not as powerful as other current gen offerings :cry:

That doesn't matter. The Dreamcast was released earlier and weaker than the oncoming competition, yet it's still considered sixth gen - same as the Xbox. It's about timing.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] Dodging the question. Cranler

Wasnt it you who said the industry defines generations by model succession. So is it model succession or when its released?

My main point was, any new system is considered current generation when it succeeds its previous model by the company. This is to combat the myth that Wii U is last gen because of a power difference. In the case of Sega, even having skipped a generation, a newly released one now wouldn't be "last gen" because it had to catch up with it's generational gap. It would be current/next gen, regardless of power stature.

It's still about newer systems replacing the older ones, and it's exceptionally rare that a company having dropped out, comes back to replace an old system 1 or 2 generations later. Atari tried this with the Jaguar to compete with the SNES and Genesis, and failed, but it was still current to that gen, not the NES gen that was already past its time.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#243 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
No, it's not determined by power. Heil68
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#244 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Nintendo released it compete with Next gen consoles, hardware wise is not next gen.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Nintendo released it compete with Next gen consoles, hardware wise is not next gen.Rattlesnake_8
Next gen hardware includes the Wii U as the Wii U is a next gen console, therefore it's hardware would be grouped with the other consoles of the generation.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
When will people realize that the word generation implies time. It's not rocket science people, seriously.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
You're right. The wiiU is not Next Gen. It's Current Gen. Next Gen will be the PS5, Xbox 900 and Hopefully Super NES 2
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

The gen is defined by the time the console releases, not by it' power. Also the gap between the systems isn't as big as cows want you make belive

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#249 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts

The Wii-U is the laughing stock of gaming consoles kinda like how the New York Jets is for Football :lol:

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Cranler
When will people realize that the word generation implies time. It's not rocket science people, seriously.Shottayouth13-
Generation implies time does but the term next gen does not. Sure we can count the wiiu as 8th gen but next gen hardware? Hell no, it cant even run current gen multiplats at 1080p.