Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

And subsequently expose pretenders like GTA V and Skyrim that hide shitty gameplay and boring quests behind a huge world with boring activities and in the case of Skyrim, boring NPC's. It'll be a true Zelda with no gimmicks and game design at the forefront of its priorities. No shit like Wii Motion Plus to make you forget you're playing a subpar game like Skyward Sword. Once you've played it, you'll wonder WTF you were playing and older open-world games will look like a bad joke. It'll be what open-world games were aspiring to be for the past 10 years.

You can all quote me on that.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

No it won't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yes it will

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990

@Blabadon said:

No it won't.

Yes it will. I liked you better when you were gone.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blabadon

No it won't.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

no.

nintendo games havent been influential in many years.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Not a chance. This is like the first Nitendo's open world game and you're expecting it to revolutionize open world games? That's wishful thinking. Especially true with the current Nintendo.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

I'm not seeing anything specifically special about it. Just lots of green.. and more green.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Blabadon said:

No it won't.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juub1990
@Blabadon said:

No it won't.

It'll be what Zelda could have been years ago but technical shortcomings prevented that. It'll be like a Link To The Past except far bigger, with more player agency, more things to do and more immersion. It'll be the proper successor of ALTTP.

You'll discover wonders like that boy playing his ocarina in the woods only to disappear every time, you'll play the game 10x over and still discover new things and I'm not talking about bad jokes that self-reference the shortcomings of their own games.

If Nintendo decided to go open-world with Zelda it's because they felt they could add something to the genre.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@kend0_kap0ni said:

no.

@omnichris said:

I'm not seeing anything specifically special about it. Just lots of green.. and more green.

Then you clearly haven't actually followed anything about the game.

It is one of the largest open worlds of all time, with full interactivity and full permanence, and total seamlessness too. Literally no other open world game yet has done that.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990
@kend0_kap0ni said:

no.

Sony games haven't been influential at all.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blabadon

Yes it will.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Ehh... still on the fence about it.

Call me faithless, but I just don't buy that Nintendo will swoop in and revolutionize a genre with their first crack at it. I'm more liable to believe that the game will be good-- great, even. But put the competition to shame? Nah.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Is there a list of the revolutionizing parts? I mean, I looked at all the YT videos of the upcoming game and I can't see much of anything new it brings to the table.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

We shall see. I hope it does well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Is there a list of the revolutionizing parts? I mean, I looked at all the YT videos of the upcoming game and I can't see much new things it brings to the table.

I wrote a feature preview on it which describes some of the sheer level of interactivity found in the game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juub1990
@mmmwksil said:

Ehh... still on the fence about it.

Call me faithless, but I just don't buy that Nintendo will swoop in and revolutionize a genre with their first crack at it. I'm more liable to believe that the game will be good-- great, even. But put the competition to shame? Nah.

They took pages of those countless open-world games that took a shot and failed. Everyone wants to be a GTA clone with those awful mission structures and complete lack of freedom during missions.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

I have the feeling it will be a hell of a game...hopefully one of the best i've played in years...and honestly, i'm not expecting anything else than a great game, couldn't care less if it sets something or not.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jun_aka_pekto
@Juub1990 said:

They took pages of those countless open-world games that took a shot and failed. Everyone wants to be a GTA clone with those awful mission structures and complete lack of freedom during missions.

What are those pages you're referring to?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juub1990
@madsnakehhh said:

I have the feeling it will be a hell of a game...hopefully one of the best i've played in years...and honestly, i'm not expecting anything else than a great game, couldn't care less if it sets something or not.

I do. The Witcher 3 showed you could combine engaging side quests along with a strong narrative in an open-world. Zelda will show you the interactivity and endless possibilities with its gameplay. Hopefully every open-world after that will strive to be more like a combination of Zelda/The Witcher 3 rather than the dreadful combo of TES/GTA.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Hopefully it's as good as Halflife 2.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

What's to say that instead of the established mission structure, Zelda just relies on its reported hundred-plus mini dungeons as substantial content between the main quest? Said main quest being larger dungeon spelunking numbering (hopefully) eight or so before tackling the final boss.

I haven't seen enough of the game in pre-release material to be convinced it will blow away the competition. Heck, I haven't seen enough to convince me it will be anything more than yet another open-world sandbox experience, just with a Zelda skin.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Zelda is made for the open world. It seems natural so lets see. TC those games came in era where open world was the rage no matter how shity things were. There was always lot and lots of game-play though that trumped anything. Its amazing how people are tired of them now.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

no.

eh... in a way they have. The New Tomb Raider exist simply because of Uncharted's success, Uncharted influence Square Enix to revamp Tomb Raider. Thats a straight up direct correlation of on franchise influencing another. But Uncharted also cinematic style of gameplay influence alot of other games on how to do cinematic stories and fluid cinematic gameplay.

The massive attention and success of GOW3 made whatvere dev it was to literally copy and paste Dante's Inferno.

LBP influenced Mario Maker....

Games like Demon Souls paved the way for Dark Souls, and now Nioh.

I know you are gonna say, "Sony didnt make that game", sure, but it was SONY who took the risk in bring the game out and it was Playstation fans who gave the game a try and bought it.

Does nintendo make great game (when they release them) and have unique games, yeah... do those game then influence other devs to make similar games like it? no, we havent seen that in many years.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

no.

I disagree, alot of devs and I mean alot of them tend to talk about Ico alot. Seems very Influential to them.

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 BluFalconUltra
Member since 2014 • 459 Posts

Switch (LOL) Breath of Wild with Horizon and you are correct. HZD puts any open world game to shame and it still has one week left til release.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@kend0_kap0ni said:
@Juub1990 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

no.

eh... in a way they have. The New Tomb Raider exist simply because of Uncharted's success, Uncharted influence Square Enix to revamp Tomb Raider. Thats a straight up direct correlation of on franchise influencing another. But Uncharted also cinematic style of gameplay influence alot of other games on how to do cinematic stories and fluid cinematic gameplay.

I know you are gonna say, "Sony didnt make that game", sure, but it was SONY who took the risk in bring the game out and it was Playstation fans who gave the game a try and bought it.

Does nintendo make great game (when they release them) and have unique games, yeah... do those game then influence other devs to make similar games like it? no, we havent seen that in many years.

The last influential Nintendo game was in 2006. The last influential Sony game was in 2009. It's roughly the same amount of time since either made a hugely influential game. Nintendo took some down time with the Wii U. With the Switch, they look set to try and be ambitious again, if nothing else.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7319 Posts

I'm worried the open world will actually hurt the game. Too much open space with not enough to do was Wind Waker's biggest problem. Still, WW was a great game despite this, and I think BotW will be too.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@charizard1605 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Is there a list of the revolutionizing parts? I mean, I looked at all the YT videos of the upcoming game and I can't see much new things it brings to the table.

I wrote a feature preview on it which describes some of the sheer level of interactivity found in the game.

I took a look at that and this is the only thing that I found unique enough:

"so you run towards the face of the cliff and discover you can climb up its surface"

The rest? I've seen before and better-implemented in some games.

The above would be unique if it works on any surface: trees, buildings, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@charizard1605 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I took a look at that and this is the only thing that I found unique enough:

"so you run towards the face of the cliff and discover you can climb up its surface"

The rest? I've seen before and better-implemented in some games.

Well, yet again- no other open world yet has had an open world this large and this seamless, interactive, and this degree of permanence.

Hopefully the final reviews do a better job of selling you on the game than my write up did, I guess.

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BluFalconUltra
Member since 2014 • 459 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

no.

What are you talking about? Gran Turismo has influenced all racing sims and gave birth to Forza. GOW influenced the action genre and spawned a few copy cats. Uncharted influenced TPS as well as did TLoU and games like Assassin's Creed, Dead Space and COD have been influenced by it's set pieces. The new Star Wars game will be influenced by Uncharted as well. Not Battlefront 2. LOL. You are just making up stuff because you have no rebuttal. The last influential game from Nintendo was Ocarina of Time, but that was only influential to other Nintendo games. Syphon Filter gave birth to the now popular headshot kill that all shooting games use. The EyeToy games created the Wii and Kinect games. HotShots gave birth to Nintendo's Mario Sports games and LBP created Mario Maker. Games are pushing for a deeper narrative and more cinematic and immersive game play because of Sony. You don't see any games looking like anything from Nintendo since the 2D generation when Sonic was created due to Mario.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@blufalconultra said:
@Juub1990 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

no.

The last influential game from Nintendo was Ocarina of Time, but that was only influential to other Nintendo games.

And that should be enough for most people to dismiss what you post.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Doubt it..but willing to be proven wrong. Prove me wrong Nintendo. :P

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@charizard1605 said:

Well, yet again- no other open world yet has had an open world this large and this seamless, interactive, and this degree of permanence.

Hopefully the final reviews do a better job of selling you on the game than my write up did, I guess.

No question about the game being a must-buy. Nintendo quality control is legendary. This Zelda would certainly be the first game I buy if I do get a Switch. But, we're taking about setting standards. For that, simply having the ability to do things isn't enough. It would have to be done better (than the competition) as well. Otherwise, it would be seen as merely copying features from here and there.

Personally, the game doesn't need to set the standard to be a great game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Juub1990
@kend0_kap0ni said:

Uncharted exists because of Tomb Raider. Not the other way around. The cinematic style was pioneered by RE4. Not Uncharted which literally took a page out of RE4's book.

Demon's Souls isn't a Sony game.

@blufalconultra said:

What are you talking about? Gran Turismo has influenced all racing sims and gave birth to Forza. GOW influenced the action genre and spawned a few copy cats. Uncharted influenced TPS as well as did TLoU and games like Assassin's Creed, Dead Space and COD have been influenced by it's set pieces. The new Star Wars game will be influenced by Uncharted as well. Not Battlefront 2. LOL. You are just making up stuff because you have no rebuttal. The last influential game from Nintendo was Ocarina of Time, but that was only influential to other Nintendo games. Syphon Filter gave birth to the now popular headshot kill that all shooting games use. The EyeToy games created the Wii and Kinect games. HotShots gave birth to Nintendo's Mario Sports games and LBP created Mario Maker. Games are pushing for a deeper narrative and more cinematic and immersive game play because of Sony. You don't see any games looking like anything from Nintendo since the 2D generation when Sonic was created due to Mario.

Agreed with Gran Turismo.

Uncharted hasn't influenced any TPS, neither has TLOU lol. Set pieces existed before Uncharted in RE4 and Half-Life 2. As for the rest it's senseless gibberish. Gears of War and KillSwitch have been far more influential to TPS than Uncharted which frankly just took RE4's cinematic style and multiplied it by 10.

LBP didn't invent level editors.

Games with deep narrative have existed in the form of games like Indigoy Prophecy(Farahneit) by Quantic Dream. I know it's surprising but Heavy Rain wasn't their first game.

Nintendo wasn't inspired by the Eye Toy ROFL. Sony actually tried to shamelessly copy the WiiMote. You got this backwards.

Golfing gave birth to Mario Golf. Not Hotshots.

Yeah a whole lot of nonsense overall.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

In terms of being a benchmark in how good it is? Sure highly possible given the lameness of the genre. Actually being a revolutionary addition to that space? Not seeing it yet.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@charizard1605:

I havent watched too many gameplay vids out of spoiler fear, is it reasonable to expect Fallout levels of persistence? Thats one of the most novel and engrossing aspects of Bethesdas open world design.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@22Toothpicks said:

@charizard1605:

I havent watched too many gameplay vids out of spoiler fear, is it reasonable to expect Fallout levels of persistence? Thats one of the most novel and engrossing aspects of Bethesdas open world design.

Not actually sure if it's to that degree, to be honest. The vertical slice I played wasn't enough for me to be sure of that, sorry :(

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Juub1990
@jg4xchamp said:

In terms of being a benchmark in how good it is? Sure highly possible given the lameness of the genre. Actually being a revolutionary addition to that space? Not seeing it yet.

That's what I mean. I expect open-world games going forward to try to blend the narrative/sidequests of The Witcher 3 with the interactivity and adventuring of Breath of the Wild. Hopefully the GTA clones stop. The mission structure is lame. The open-world is lame. The lack of freedom when it matters is lame.

@22Toothpicks said:

@charizard1605:

Huh what?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Horizon just bitched slapped BOTW from here to Sunday.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Juub1990
@emgesp said:

Breath of the Wild isn't even out yet.

Also lol you're a known Nintendo hater.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

It feels like Nintendo studied other open world action games, took the best aspects of each and blended it nicely with Zelda features iced that Nintendo polish on top.

It's going to be an amazing game, no doubt but can't tell if it will push the standard yet.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

@charizard1605: Interactivity and permanence like Minecraft?

Although... to be fair that is more of a sandbox game than an open world game.

As for this game, it looks to make use of the open world format and add meaningful interactivity with the world. Games like Assassin's creed often fail to have any meaningful interactivity. From what I have seen in the new zelda, there is plenty of room for emergent gameplay. And that is something most of these open world games lack. If Zelda sets a standard for emergent gameplay in these open world games, I will be more than satisfied. I would love Open World games to come even close to the standard set by sandbox games.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@emgesp said:

Breath of the Wild isn't even out yet.

Also lol you're a known Nintendo hater.

A known Nintendo hater that owns more Nintendo consoles/games than you.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@Juub1990 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

Demon's Souls wasn't the first Souls game(and if you're going to quote a game, get the title right)..

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

If by set a new standard, you mean, simply meet the standard that has been set by dozens of other studios for generations, then, you're right. lol.

There is nothing about the game mechanic or feature-wise that is "changing" the landscape in any way. The game's selling point is that they are finally marking off checkboxes of mechanics/features that have been industry standard in the genre for the last decade and a half.

The game itself is basically a modernized version of Shadow of the Colossus.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@dotWithShoes: what was the first souls game ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I don't believe that anyone will now start making open world/RPG/action-adventure games in cel shade, that is so two thousand and late.

Were talking about a game made based on being limited by Wii U's capabilities. If you want to know where standards are being set, check Steam's Green Light from the last 5 years. So maybe it will be the new standard for hand held games, cause indies and consoles are better off.

I've seen a ton of BotW, and yes there are interesting aspects added into the open world, like giving Link a way to use physics, the hot/cold gauge, and the horse collecting thing. But all they did was push the boundaries of what Zelda can be by doing standards already set by others, and then they sprinkled a little bit of their magic on top. The map might be huge, but we've seen that the huge blob in the middle is a ton of empty fields where you fight non-critical fights and unless you earn some kind of XP, Hearts, or crafting material from these fights, I don't see the purpose in such a big map.

Honestly, I want BotW, and at that time thought it would be amazing, but it is unclear how great it will actually be. While Horizon only seeing maybe an hours worth, and it is clear that it is something special, and since its a brand new IP, it started from scratch yet climbed so high.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Blabadon said:

No it won't.

@charizard1605 said:

Yes it will

Hmmmmm.

--------

Maybe? I mean it looks great but to set a new standard seems to usually require to do (almost) everything "right" (aka, what GTA games usually do) and/or have a couple of things in there no one else ever did (ie, Witcher 3 and it's quests which to this day are applauded by gamers WW).

It may be the case for the game or not, it certainly looks like a mountain of fun to play at the very least but we'll find out soon enough either way.

And we musn't forget that the current open world kings (R*) are launching RDR2 too (man 2017 is gonna be a crazy good year), which may or may not keep that status quo for R*.