BioShock Vita never started development, executives put it "on hold"

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/07/bioshock-vita-could-still-happen

He only had an idea for the game but never actually started development on it. He also said the game is out of his hands right now and it's really the business people(executives) who will make the decision if they make the game. Straight from the creator of the franchise:

"That is in the hands of business people right now. Its something Im still interested in, and people ask me that all the time. Right now Im just sort of waiting to see what the business people come up with, and thats sort of out of my hands at this point. Thats something that I think has a lot of potential. The game idea we have has a lot of potential. Its just a question of [if] their stars all align."

Wow and I almost bought a Vita for this : (

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Wow, all of that Vita support.

Suddenly....gone.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

That's sad, oh well. If they decide to go with it I would want them to put all their focus and effort in and not have something come out that was rushed liked COD.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

Bioshock isn't coming to Vita. This is a spoiler that will break the hearts of the 4 people who own a PS Vita.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
It's all terrible news, the Vita is so cool, but the support has been so non-existent. It's a shame.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Bioshock isn't coming to Vita. This is a spoiler that will break the hearts of the 4 people who own a PS Vita.

jimmypsn

Actually, it's just one person. finalstar bought 4 of them.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmypsn

You can tell from that article that Kevin Levine is trying to cover his butt and blame investors. LOL. He doesn't want to come out and say it that the Vita is a failure.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
All those promises... gone! Shame on your Sony.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
People didn't want watered down console games on vita to begin with amirite?
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

No loss, Bioshock was a terrible spiritual successor to System Shock 2 and made by different people. Bioshock had so much promise but a lack of any challenge or scare factor ruined it for me.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimmypsn

This is just a small snippet of the myriad number of companies to jump ship. If you have a Vita, no better chance to bail out then now while its still worth something. Just helping out my fellow gamers.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

jimmypsn
OMG This troll is back! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimmypsn

No loss, Bioshock was a terrible spiritual successor to System Shock 2 and made by different people. Bioshock had so much promise but a lack of any challenge or scare factor ruined it for me.

1080pOnly
You're calling Bioshock a terrible game just because it isn't coming to Vita? Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

To simplify their statement, "When we saw how bad the Vita was bombing we decided to save our money."

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

To simplify their statement, "When we saw how bad the Vita was bombing we decided to save our money."

Fizzman
Pretty much this. No publisher is going to invest in a dying platform.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Why would top third party developers put effort into it when even Sony will not. All of the big name 1st party titles are made by lesser developers and not the developers that made those games good.
IPWNDU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IPWNDU2
Member since 2006 • 2535 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

MFDOOM1983

Pretty much this. No publisher is going to invest in a dying platform.

We have a winner

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
This reminds me of resident evil PSP.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimmypsn

The premise of the Vita was flawed from the start. How much does it cost to develop a high profiled AAA console game 10-20 million. Even more for higher profiled games. Who's gonna put that money behind the Vita for games when the install base in nonexistance. "Console quality on the go" has been a failure for Sony from the start.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

I hope those resources will go on to the Wii U port instead

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Why would top third party developers put effort into it when even Sony will not. All of the big name 1st party titles are made by lesser developers and not the developers that made those games good. CanYouDiglt
1st Party: Hot Shots Golf Killzone (Unreleased) Tearaway (Unreleased) Unit 13 Wipeout 2048 Outsourced: Little Big Planet Resistance Uncharted Sony are supporting the PS Vita with their 1st Party more then they have outsourced development on the Vita.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Lol Vita
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Why would top third party developers put effort into it when even Sony will not. All of the big name 1st party titles are made by lesser developers and not the developers that made those games good. FlamesOfGrey
1st Party: Hot Shots Golf Killzone (Unreleased) Tearaway (Unreleased) Unit 13 Wipeout 2048 Outsourced: Little Big Planet Resistance Uncharted Sony are supporting the PS Vita with their 1st Party more then they have outsourced development on the Vita.

The ones that got outsourced seem like the ones which should have been developed in house.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jimmypsn

If Vita doesn't have the games then it can still sell if Sony drops the price to 100 bucks. But this would put Sony in the tank. But they need the install base to pull third parties in. Its a no win situation for Sony.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Fizzman

Quoted for truth.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Why would top third party developers put effort into it when even Sony will not. All of the big name 1st party titles are made by lesser developers and not the developers that made those games good. SaltyMeatballs

The ones that got outsourced seem like the ones which should have been developed in house.

I agree but Sony isn't going to pull ND off of consoles to work on handheld Uncharted and Insomniac aren't 1st Party (They also said after R3 that they were done with the franchise.). Little Big Planet turned out well and is a AAE game for the Vita so, outsourcing isn't always bad.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Why would top third party developers put effort into it when even Sony will not. All of the big name 1st party titles are made by lesser developers and not the developers that made those games good. FlamesOfGrey

The only big one is Killzone and is GG doing that? The outsourced ones you mention are big name titles as far as their library goes.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

GreySeal9

Actually, it's just one person. finalstar bought 4 of them.

lulz

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Why would top third party developers put effort into it when even Sony will not. All of the big name 1st party titles are made by lesser developers and not the developers that made those games good. CanYouDiglt

The only big one is Killzone and is GG doing that?

Yes, they're co-developing it with Sony Cambridge.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] 1st Party: Hot Shots Golf Killzone (Unreleased) Tearaway (Unreleased) Unit 13 Wipeout 2048 Outsourced: Little Big Planet Resistance Uncharted Sony are supporting the PS Vita with their 1st Party more then they have outsourced development on the Vita.

The only big one is Killzone and is GG doing that?

Yes, they're co-developing it with Sony Cambridge.

Well that is good news for that game then.
Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

People didn't want watered down console games on vita to begin with amirite?ultraking
Of course, but that's not what they're getting. So it's not even an issue worth mentioning.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

This is very old news. They said ages ago they are not going to start a vita bioshock until bioshock infinite is finished.

Just another Vita hate thread:roll:

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FlamesOfGrey

This is very old news. They said ages ago they are not going to start a vita bioshock until bioshock infinite is finished.

Just another Vita hate thread:roll:

PCgameruk
Indeed however, this does show that Sony aren't on the ball with making sure these games are coming out (This game would more some systems with core gamers for sure). Even though development wouldn't start until Bioshock Infinite is out, Sony should have made sure this game was a lock to be developed and not have a question mark over it.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I wasn't expecting to play it anyways. Unless I see a trailer of the game (with gameplay), I consider the game non-existent.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

The premise of the Vita was flawed from the start. How much does it cost to develop a high profiled AAA console game 10-20 million. Even more for higher profiled games. Who's gonna put that money behind the Vita for games when the install base in nonexistance. "Console quality on the go" has been a failure for Sony from the start.

jimmypsn
Psp was successful with that same ideology ."console quality on the go". So I wouldn't say it was a failure from the start.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

Not surprised, to assume I was would be, not the brightest of thoughts

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
I called it! I totally called it! First the Resident Evil logo for PSP, then the "COD is coming to Vita" talk for months with no game to show and then we find out Nihilistic took 5 months to develop it and look at how bad it came out. I was telling people that simply showing a logo for a theoretical game back at E3 wasn't a good idea. That could end up being like Resident Evil PSP. Honestly with no sign of a long term boost in Vita hardware/software sales why even make it if it isn't a port? The budget would have to be very, very small to turn a profit.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

p4s2p0
Psp was successful with that same ideology ."console quality on the go". So I wouldn't say it was a failure from the start.

But consumer interest in America and Europe (anywhere outside of Japan) in a handheld that can produce 'console quality on the go' was on a huge decline since 2008. After 2008 and every year after PSP sales in America fell 50% nearly each year. I'd argue that coming up with a 'console quality on the go' handheld a second time with the Vita after the general non-Japanese consumer wasn't interested in that on the PSP for 3-4 years straight was starting off badly. Don't get me wrong, the Vita is a great console with a good library and it has a solid future. But it would have had a better future had it not be as expensive, powerful, and focused more on having unique handheld versions of games that can't be found anywhere else instead of getting PS3 downports like the PSP received so many PS2 ports. Just IMO.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 p4s2p0
I called it! I totally called it! First the Resident Evil logo for PSP, then the "COD is coming to Vita" talk for months with no game to show and then we find out Nihilistic took 5 months to develop it and look at how bad it came out.bonesawisready5
How did cod turn out bad? Most of the people I've talked to like it as I do. Missing zombies is the only real complaint I've heard.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]I called it! I totally called it! First the Resident Evil logo for PSP, then the "COD is coming to Vita" talk for months with no game to show and then we find out Nihilistic took 5 months to develop it and look at how bad it came out.p4s2p0
How did cod turn out bad? Most of the people I've talked to like it as I do. Missing zombies is the only real complaint I've heard.

The multitude of negative reviewers explain why the game is bad in a pretty comprehensive way.

Also, the user score is 5.8. It seems that you're not talking to enough people.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
Sony lost all 3rd party with this device. They are going to have to do what Nintendo did with the GameCube and support the system themselves with a bunch of 1st party development.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 p4s2p0
[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Don't get me wrong, the Vita is a great console with a good library and it has a solid future. But it would have had a better future had it not be as expensive, powerful, and focused more on having unique handheld versions of games that can't be found anywhere else instead of getting PS3 downports like the PSP received so many PS2 ports. Just IMO.

Sony has more unique games this gen and look where its getting them, so far anyway. Out of my first 5 games on psp 4 were ports while on vita its only 2/5. So while people are saying that is what it needs, the market must not agree.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

This reminds me of resident evil PSP. King_Dodongo

That's exactly what I compared it to when it was first "announced" ...and here we are.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

And this is why sales matter.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 p4s2p0

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]I called it! I totally called it! First the Resident Evil logo for PSP, then the "COD is coming to Vita" talk for months with no game to show and then we find out Nihilistic took 5 months to develop it and look at how bad it came out.GreySeal9

The multitude of negative reviewers explain why the game is bad in a pretty comprehensive way.

Also, the user score is 5.8. It seems that you're not talking to enough people.

I asked to see if anyone had their own opinion on the matter. The 5.8 user score is only out of 72 people. Can anyone vote on that or do they have to own the game like on psn? Which rated it 4/5 out of 951 people.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

There's the problem. A PC & console game on a handheld...

Vita should stop being a wannabe of other systems and find its own identity.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wiimotefan

GamerwillzPS

GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlac

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Wiimotefan

Well, I'm not a fanboy like you.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wiimotefan

[QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

GamerwillzPS

Well, I'm not a fanboy like you.

Mmm hmm. I like my PC, PS3, Wii and to a lesser extent, my 360. Such a fanboy.

Anyways, nice dodge lol.