Better Story Telling? Uncharted 4 VS The Witcher 3

• 76 results
Snowywonders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Better Story Telling? Uncharted 4 VS The Witcher 3 (96 votes)

Uncharted 4 21%
The Witcher 3 79%

Also, a more subjective question, what game has the BETTER story?

Since someone will eventually come and argue that they can't be compared for whatever reason, I say they probably can be compared because they're both finales in their series and heavy narrative games.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Uh, good question.

I'd say Uncharted 4 is better on both fronts, with the caveat that The Witcher 3's story has a far larger scope than Uncharted 4's, and Witcher 3 generally has far better writing and characterization, and across more characters at that.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Uncharted 4 is very linear, while the witcher 3 allows the player to make several key choices.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

You've got to be kidding me....

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

I cant comment on uncharted 4 but Witcher 3 has one of the most boring storyline i have ever seen. too many boring dialogues that i have forced to skip over and over again. its all Geralt finding "ashen hair woman" then goes to "finding this" "finding that".

characters with the exception of few like zoltan are very boring.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

The Witcher 3 hands down.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

hard to be objective, but the witcher story and characters grew on me more than Uncharted's, so I'll say W3

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Witcher 3 by far. Very few old games come close or surpass it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I would still argue it isn't a great comparison to try to shove forward. But the thing with TW3 is you aren't playing "a" storyline. There's the main story, yes, but it's perhaps less compelling than earlier ones in the series. The stronger part of TW3's "story" is the convergence of many stories. You explore and live out the narrative of a world through many interesting side-quests and interactions. This is VERY different from a linear UC-type story-telling. IMO TW3's narrative quality is greater than the sum of its parts. The passable main quest and many snippets of a life in that war-torn world told through the myriad of side-quests gives the player a chance to experience a phenomenal meta-narrative.

I think there's more beauty in that, so I'll cast my vote for TW3. But UC will offer a tighter focused story than the main TW3 campaign. So depending on what/how you are juxtaposing them UC4 could win instead.

Junky-trunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Junky-trunk
Member since 2016 • 228 Posts

If you like to hear a mono tone, steroid I can slaughter any munster how much? All game long then vote Witcher 3

If you like top notch, brilliant dialogues with funny jokes then vote Naughty Dogs and almost all of their games

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Just when you think cows can't become any more dumber...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I haven't played UC4 but i did play a ton of TW3 and lol good luck doing a better job.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Impossible to pick one. Both are the best at what they are trying to do. Uncharted 4 is telling a story in a very traditional way, linear and well crafted while being as cinematic as films. Witcher 3 is telling a massively broad yet incredibly deep story that the player has a lot of control over. Witcher 3's brilliance comes in how it integrates player's choices and branches seamlessly with a high level of cinematic quality.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've completed both games. Uncharted 4 wins in story telling. Witcher 3 wasn't bad by any means, but as it was the only game in the series I played and the sheer scope of what was being told, I didn't feel that I cared about what happened to Geralt. All I knew is that I wanted him to end up with the smoking hot red head. Uncharted on the other hand, I've been invested in the characters for nearly a decade and the story surrounds just them; not an entire country.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@junky-trunk said:

If you like to hear a mono tone, steroid I can slaughter any munster how much? All game long then vote Witcher 3

If you like top notch, brilliant dialogues with funny jokes then vote Naughty Dogs and almost all of their games

One liners in the vein of over the top treasure hunter movies are so inventive after all these years. Where are my :roll eyes: emotes?

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Both are bad

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Come on now. UC4 has better presentation but it's another cheesy, basic action story, just like every other Uncharted. Witcher 3 at least has some lore and depth to the way you interact with it, and a far more interesting array of characters and plot threads.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Just my sheer amount of content the witcher 3 wins easily. one quest in the witcher 3 is pretty much all of uncharted 4.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I think UC4 and TW3 are both very comparable games in that they both have a focus on story that is difficult to care about due to the gameplay and combat between these story moments just being unbearably bad. One game has snoozefest "follow this path of handholds" climbing sections while the other has "follow this path of red footprints/scent" quests. One game has the most shallow, tedious, button-mashing gameplay of any ARPG while the other has some of the worst gunplay and combat mechanics of any TPS.

Overall I guess I prefer TW3, but I find it hard to care about either.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

The Witcher,Uncharted has some decent banter but is not on the same level of TW3,at all.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StealthMonkey4

@mems_1224 said:

Just my sheer amount of content the witcher 3 wins easily. one quest in the witcher 3 is pretty much all of uncharted 4.

Ummm what the hell are you talking about?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

video games

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

The Witcher 3 story was more interesting to me, but UC4 story was told better. So UC4 based on the question.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@charizard1605: Lol, to me that sounds like Witcher is better...

I haven't played U4, but W3's storytelling is magical.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StealthMonkey4

@mems_1224 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

video games

One quest in The Witcher 3 is 30 minutes to an hour and consists of following a red trail and killing some monsters.

So... what the hell are you talking about? Do you mind expanding what you meant?

Or are you drinking the kool-aid and are one of those people who claims Witcher 3 is a 500 hour game?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mems_1224

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@mems_1224 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

video games

One quest in The Witcher 3 is 30 minutes to an hour and consists of following a red trail and killing some monsters.

So... what the hell are you talking about? Do you mind expanding what you meant?

Or are you drinking the kool-aid and are one of those people who claims Witcher 3 is a 500 hour game?

not really

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

witcher 3 easily , UC4 has a great directing and a good narrative but storywise it's not on the same lvl with TW3 ...

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@silversix_ said:

I haven't played UC4 but i did play a ton of TW3 and lol good luck doing a better job.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I was completely absorbed in The Witcher 3's storytelling and dialogue for over 100 hours, and I can't wait to try the new expansion.

The storytelling in The Witcher 3 is masterful. CDPR managed to achieve storytelling that rivalled the best singleplayer games into a setting of tremendously large scope - and I cannot think of a single open world game that has made me care so much about its characters and quests.

One thing I loved is how frequently the game subverted your expectations. Simple monster hunts typically have clever twists or interesting backstories, you often choose between lesser evils, and you're rarely painted as the hero of each story. It's brilliant stuff.

In contrast, I played a few hours of Uncharted 1, and the writing was awful. The dialogue had this stupid fratboy should-be-a-movie-staring-Seann-William-Scott quality to it that made it feel like the game was aiming for a much younger audience. I hated it, and I can't imagine Uncharted 4 being much better.

Deschannel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Deschannel
Member since 2016 • 9 Posts

Is uncharted 4 something similar to the last of us?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Apples and oranges in terms of storytelling. I've yet to play UC4, but I already know it's going to tell a much tighter story, solely due to the nature of the game allowing better pacing. Whether it's better... I don't know.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The Witcher 3's narrative actually works with its gameplay, if the previous Uncharted games are any indication, you have to suspend a serious amount of disbelief when it comes to Uncharted. Now if it's Last of Us or The Witcher 3, I'd take The Last of Us any day of the week.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The story in UC4 isn't even that special. At the end of the day, it's still just another action blockbuster. The main difference being that most blockbuster video games are told in 6-8 hours, while UC4 is 15 hours for some reason. It is a poorly paced and uneven adventure.

Witcher 3's main story isn't all that great, but the world building and smaller stories are infinitely more satisfying.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Uh, good question.

I'd say Uncharted 4 is better on both fronts, with the caveat that The Witcher 3's story has a far larger scope than Uncharted 4's, and Witcher 3 generally has far better writing and characterization, and across more characters at that.

When a game presents an open world in which a player can venture off of the path of the main story I feel it is harder to compare it to a game like Uncharted 4. The story is guided and moving forward as intended by the creators. I put over 100 hours into Witcher 3 on PC and ventured off the story's path so much that when I would jump back in it often took me some time to remember why I am going to where I was.

For this reason I do agree with you that Uncharted 4 edges it, but I had more fun and will continue to with the Witcher 3.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#35  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

I haven't played Uncharted but from what I understand the universe in The Witcher is bigger and it has an older way of telling stories than Uncharted...

Plus The Witcher has books and if you read those to supplement the game it becomes a pretty goddamn big story.

Like I don't see how Uncharted could beat TW3 unless you like linear moviestyle storytelling.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

The Witcher 3's narrative actually works with its gameplay, if the previous Uncharted games are any indication, you have to suspend a serious amount of disbelief when it comes to Uncharted. Now if it's Last of Us or The Witcher 3, I'd take The Last of Us any day of the week.

TLOU suffers from the same symptoms as Uncharted, even if to a lesser extent.

My disbelief came crashing down and left a hole in the floor when you kill like 50 dudes as Ellie halfway through the game.

And then, directly after, Joel rises up from his deathbed after several months of slumber and kills another hundred rescuing her, while still wounded.

Even the game itself makes remarks about that on several occasions. "This one dude with a little girl took out all our guys, what?!"

You're not playing as believable people in those games.

You're playing as a fucking tsunami.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

There is one part in Uncharted 4's dialogue in a cutscene that I LOL'd at with getyeryaya's. Rafe calls Nate's brother as bluffing when holding a hostage with "Come on these guys don't kill in cold blood" WTF? I had just finished slaughtering how many men in shootouts? LOL

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#38  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@Planeforger said:

I was completely absorbed in The Witcher 3's storytelling and dialogue for over 100 hours, and I can't wait to try the new expansion.

The storytelling in The Witcher 3 is masterful. CDPR managed to achieve storytelling that rivalled the best singleplayer games into a setting of tremendously large scope - and I cannot think of a single open world game that has made me care so much about its characters and quests.

One thing I loved is how frequently the game subverted your expectations. Simple monster hunts typically have clever twists or interesting backstories, you often choose between lesser evils, and you're rarely painted as the hero of each story. It's brilliant stuff.

In contrast, I played a few hours of Uncharted 1, and the writing was awful. The dialogue had this stupid fratboy should-be-a-movie-staring-Seann-William-Scott quality to it that made it feel like the game was aiming for a much younger audience. I hated it, and I can't imagine Uncharted 4 being much better.

Yeah this is exactly my experience when comparing the first uncharted and probably most uncharted games to the Witcher.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jg4xchamp
@R10nu said:
@jg4xchamp said:

My disbelief came crashing down and left a hole in the floor when you kill like 50 dudes as Ellie halfway through the game.

And then, directly after, Joel rises up from his deathbed after several months of slumber and kills another hundred rescuing her, while still wounded.

Even the game itself makes remarks about that on several occasions. "This one dude with a little girl took out all our guys, what?!"

To an extent, but at least Joel's characterization is built around him being a savage. Nathan Drake is just supposed to be a normal dude, and the game is a bit more light hearted ala Indian Jones/National Treasure, except Nathan Drake kill count would make Hannibal Lecter blush.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#40 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Wiedzmin 3

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Uncharted 4 wins by a mile. I didn't find anything about The Witcher 3 to be exceptional.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Witcher 3 has a better story, They have a ton of source material to draw on since it's from a series of books as well. Uncharted has the better story telling.

Same as it's always been.

Also the pacing is seriously pretty poor in the witcher 3. The fact it's open world doesn't exactly help.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@R10nu said:
@jg4xchamp said:

To an extent, but at least Joel's characterization is built around him being a savage. Nathan Drake is just supposed to be a normal dude, and the game is a bit more light hearted ala Indian Jones/National Treasure, except Nathan Drake kill count would make Hannibal Lecter blush.

That's every video game ever.

When it comes to normal dudes murdering thousands of people, Assassin's Creeds characters are the only ones that stand out as odd to me.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#44 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@R10nu said:
@jg4xchamp said:

That's every video game ever.

When it comes to normal dudes murdering thousands of people, Assassin's Creeds characters are the only ones that stand out as odd to me.

Ludonarrative dissonance, basically.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

No brainer. Witcher 3.

Uncharted 4 is linear at best. Whilst UC4 has a good story, the branching storyline for W3 provides a better sense of immersion than UC4.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I chose Uncharted 4 just by the design of the game.

TW3 is slightly a superior game though.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DragonfireXZ95

@jg4xchamp said:
@R10nu said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I found the same hilarious thing when I played through the first Tomb Raider reboot. She becomes mortally wounded, applies a medkit and is off in just a few hours killing tons of people as if she had never been hurt in the first place.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: And the scene where Lara didn't want to kill the first dude was cringe-worthy because after that, it's murder a-hoy for Lara.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DragonfireXZ95

@jasonofa36 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: And the scene where Lara didn't want to kill the first dude was cringe-worthy because after that, it's murder a-hoy for Lara.

Yes, that part also had me in a "WTF" state.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jg4xchamp
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I found the same hilarious thing when I played through the first Tomb Raider reboot. She becomes mortally wounded, applies a medkit and is off in just a few hours killing tons of people as if she had never been hurt in the first place.

Yeah, except Tomb Raider is extra shitty in the writing department. Amy Hennig even while working with generic archtypes has a handle on good moment to moment banter between characters. More than makes up for some misfires on the plot and how devoid of creativity the story is, Tomb Raider? **** no, her character development is total wank.