Best Trilogy of this Generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

While there are games that have been great continuations of series that had their beginnings in previous generations, this gen has seen the rise of some amazing trilogies.

So the criteria is pretty clear for what qualified entry into the poll;

* 3 games to the primary series, not including spin-offs, prequels, etc...
* beginning and concluding in this generation.

I still haven't played AC3, but my experiences with the series up to Revelations have been a joy. I also think Gears of War really brought something to the shooter table, and would like the chance to play Uncharted some day. But the trilogy I pick as the best of this gen will probably surprise you.

Yeahhhhh, it's Mass Effect, for it's rich universe, diverse races, memorable characters and some epic set pieces. But most of all for having such strong continuity across a trilogy. Unlike other series, you don't play some tangent character loosely connected to the one you played in the first game, running their own parallel path to the overall story. Each instalment is a direct continuation of the story of your character, personalized to your design along the entire journey. And that's what a trilogy should be.

But now it's time to vote and have your say, System Warriors :)

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

As far as best balance, then Uncharted. Every one of those series in your list has bad games in it except Uncharted.

Mass Effect 1 sucked

AC 1 sucked

Gears of War 2 sucked

Resistance 3 sucked

All 3 Uncharted games were great.

Out of your list, I'll take Bioshock if it counts...assuming Infinite is as good as it looks.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Metroid prime trilogy

Wiiyou

Actually began last gen. Only the 3rd game was in this gen.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
STALKER.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Assassin's Creed 3 without a doubt. The only series that got progressively better and still maintained its identity and its quality across every installment. Every other series you listed was too inconsistent: Resistance is overall just about average, and I don't even know why it's on there. Uncharted is great, but depending variously on whom you ask, either only the last two games are worth it, or the first two games are worth it. Sometimes, only the second game amounts to anything. Mass Effect blew it with the ending. A trilogy with a poor ending and a poor third act fails at being a cohesive trilogy. Gears of War has Gears of War 2, so it is automatically disqualified from consideration.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

The choices in your poll are bad and you should feel bad.

inb4 the BioDrones line up and start chanting about how great MassEffect is like they were brainwashed to do

inb4 nobody except maybe Shake says Resistance

inb4 the Cows talk about how much they loved being a poor man's Indiana Jones

inb4 someone says Gears of War and actually tries to defend Gears of War 2

inb4 someone says Assassin's Creed and forgets that 1. It's not a trilogy and 2. How ridiculously uneven it's been

I vote for none of the above because they all failed spectacularly in their own special way.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Naughty Dog's masterpiece.

Z-Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Z-Fatalis
Member since 2012 • 1058 Posts

I'd say Uncharted, it's the best all round trilogy imo, as I enjoyed all 3 games

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#10 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Mass Effect.

While I think Mass Effect 2 has some gameplay issues with basic RPG elements AND basic action that just makes it feel simple to play, I have grown to appreciate the characters and their individual stories very much on my replay of it. ME2 is the REASON why Mass Effect 3 is so emotionally charged at times.

It was planned as a trilogy, and THAT makes it the best. AC, Uncharted, Gears of War and whatever else was out this gen was not planned as such. So things just started to fall into place, really.

Too Human was planned but failed, but it looks like the next major trilogy we can look forward to is Halo's Reclaimer trilogy.\

Still, for this gen, Mass Effect stands as the best trilogy. It creates a wonderful and interesting universe, introduces a colorful cast of characters and brings it all to a rousing end. (And those end choices have been brought up since the first Mass Effect, so replaying the trilogy gives the endings context as well).

Even Mass Effect 2, which feels inconsequential from a story standpoint manages to highlight the true, final fate of the Protheans, builds up the Illusive Man as a genuine antagonist for ME3 and sets up much of the tragedy for ME3. It was all planned and so it works wonderfully.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

All those games are GREAT and should be played and worthy of 'Best of Gen' and 'Game Of the Year' and one way or another, 'Raising the Bar of Gaming'

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

hmm interesting question....... I would have to say........

Dang all the game I can think of are generic mainstream casual games:|

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
None of the games in the poll have exactly three games in the series, except Mass Effect.
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#14 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't say that any gaming trilogy this gen was a total success. Out of all the series mentioned, each has at least one game with some pretty glaring problems.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

My vote goes to Mass Effect, that's the only trilogy I've played through of the ones listed, but honestly I cannot imagine anything beating it.
It's a very captivating story with rich characters that invoked real emotion in me.
The ME games are among a select few that have made me really care about the choices I make in the game, and sometimes there were some really diffcult decisions to make, and I mean difficult in reality for me as a person, sometimes I had to remind myself that my choices in the game didn't affect my real life.
I think that says something about the game, or perhaps about me.
I loved the ending too, it just fit very well, and really good stories doesn't end like a childrens fairytale, this ending makes you deal with it, not just shrug and go for the next game.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
None of the games in the poll have exactly three games in the series, except Mass Effect.dotWithShoes
That doesn't stop them being trilogies. I'd argue that out of all of them the only one you could argue isn't a trilogy is Uncharted. Despite there being 3 games all numbered they don't really follow a continuous narrative.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkLink77

Honestly, I wouldn't say that any gaming trilogy this gen was a total success. Out of all the series mentioned, each has at least one game with some pretty glaring problems.

WTA2k5
I like you.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Out of your list, I'll take Bioshock if it counts...assuming Infinite is as good as it looks.

senses_fail_06

Infinite's story is completely unrelated to 1 and 2. I don't think that counts.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

Uncharted & Mass Effect for me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

While there are games that have been great continuations of series that had their beginnings in previous generations, this gen has seen the rise of some amazing trilogies.

* excatly 3 games to the series

AdobeArtist

None of the games in the poll meet that first criteria:

Gears of War: 4th one announced
Mass Effect: 4th one announced
Assassin's Creed: there have already been 6 or more games
Uncharted: 4 games have been released
Resistance: 5 games have been released

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I haven't played all the games in any of the trilogies that started this gen. But if I were guess, Stalker would probably be my pick.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
I pick Uncharted and with that comes a big thank you to Naughty Dog.  For not only given us 3 of the best games of this generation but for making them exclusive to Sony and the PS3. You guys knew right away back in 2001 that Sony was the console to call home and you have been delivering the good ever since. With Uncharted 3 you have given us the pinnacle of gaming and another monster hit sure to sell millions. A special mention should go to Key people

Evan Wells   Christophe Balestra-Co-presidents Amy Hennig, Creative director and Bruce Straley  Game director, Thank you.

and
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

The Uncharted trilogy is my absolute favorite, but I think Mass Effect is the most important for what it represents and what it has done for the industry in terms of artistic merit and the innovative save transferring that was really cool.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Mass Effect is the best, easily.
ps3theJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ps3theJT
Member since 2010 • 1137 Posts

Really close between Uncharted and Mass Effect but gotta give it to Uncharted.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Why choose? I like games so I say all of them have good and bad things about em (though I've never played any resistance games)

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

R4gn4r0k

I believe he's referring to currently released numbered entries, so spin offs (like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood), and sequels that have yet to release (like Gears of War: Judgement, which is also a non numbered entry, and Mass Effect 4 which is still a long ways off and doesn't even have a concrete name) don't ruin the criteria.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

The Uncharted trilogy is my absolute favorite, but I think Mass Effect is the most important for what it represents and what it has done for the industry in terms of artistic merit and the innovative save transferring that was really cool.

SPYDER0416

Golden Sun on the GBA did it first and I'm sure there are other titles even before that transferred saves between games.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Mass Effect, of course. There is not even a debate about this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

SPYDER0416
The save file transferring wasn't even all that innovative, considering so many other games did it before...
Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

R4gn4r0k

Pretty much this. I´d say the Stalker trilogy.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

Mass Effect for sure

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

SPYDER0416

I believe he's referring to currently released numbered entries, so spin offs (like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood), and sequels that have yet to release (like Gears of War: Judgement, which is also a non numbered entry, and Mass Effect 4 which is still a long ways off and doesn't even have a concrete name) don't ruin the criteria.

I thought so. Not a lot of people here seem to be having difficulty choosing their favourite trilogy, consisting of more than 3 games.

I just think its funny how trilogy and 'exactly 3' can mean more than 3 :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

R4gn4r0k

I thought so. Not a lot of people here seem to be having difficulty choosing their favourite trilogy, consisting of more than 3 games.

Assassin's Creed has five games bro, not six :P
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

Metroid prime trilogy

AdobeArtist

I would've said Metroid Prime Trilogy.

But I only played Mass Effect 1; I have Mass Effect 2 but since I couldn't complete Mass Effect 1 I couldn't play Mass Effect 2. I plan on purchasing Mass Effect Trilogy on the PS3; I got the PC versions free since my friend gifted me his extra copies of those two games through Steam but my PC isn't that good and the reason I couldn't complete the first game was framerate issues.

I only played 5 minutes of Gears of War and I thought it sucked so I stopped playing and didn't play the sequels.

I never played a game in the Resistance series.

I completed Assassin's Creed but I thought it was terrible that I didn't play the sequels but I'm interested in Assassin's Creed III.

So the only game I could pick by default is Uncharted since I played Uncharted and Uncharted 2; I also completed both games I still need to play Uncharted 3.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nanomage
[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

charizard1605

Actually,it has eight,four from the main series and four spin offs.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

charizard1605

Someone is in denial here.

There are six games.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Nanomage

WAT!? That many?

I thought it was 1,2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 and Liberty. What else is there?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

NeonNinja

There are six games.

Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Assassin's Creed III... I count five :?
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

Assassin's creed. The parkour + open world + involving controvertal topics + time periods we don't see a lot of.

Also I just wanted to spite adobe because this is obviously another chance for him to be like "OMFG GUZ ME IS SOOO0O0O0O000000 G0OD"

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#42 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I would say Mass Effect trilogy. Never really been attached to a cast of characters like I would be in a TV or HBO mini-series.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

Metroid prime trilogy

Nintendo_Ownes7

I

I only played 5 minutes of Gears of War and I thought it sucked so I stopped playing and didn't play the sequels.

That's legit.

Really good criteria for judging a game. Five minutes. Makes sense. Do it all the time, myself.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nanomage

[QUOTE="Nanomage"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Assassin's Creed has five games bro, not six :PNeonNinja

WAT!? That many?

I thought it was 1,2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 and Liberty. What else is there?

Here is everything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Nanomage

Ah, we're counting handheld games too. Then we have: Assassin's Creed Assassin's Creed Altair Chronicles Assassin's Creed II Assassin's Creed II: Discovery Assassin's Creed Bloodlines Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Assassin's Creed Revelations Assassin's Creed III Assassin's Creed Liberation
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Assasin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Revelations, Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed 3, Liberation...

Altair Chronicles, Discovery, Bloodlines. Whoo there are a lot in the span of 5 years.

Oooohhh... got ninjad haha.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

NeonNinja

There are six games.

9 actually if we're counting all spin offs and handheld games.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 R4gn4r0k

Assassin's Creed has five games bro, not six :Pcharizard1605

The main series is five games. But don't forget about the ones on DS, PSP and PSV:P

That's 8 games in less than 5 years. AC is milked more than COD come to think of it :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Assassin's Creed has five games bro, not six :PR4gn4r0k

The main series is five games. But don't forget about the ones on DS, PSP and PSV:P

That's 8 games in less than 5 years. AC is milked more than COD come you think of it :lol:

It's nine games if you count everything And nah, it isn't. If you want to count handheld games too, then the number of CoD releases in the last five years DOUBLES.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Nanomage"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Assassin's Creed has five games bro, not six :Pcharizard1605

Ah, we're counting handheld games too. Then we have: Assassin's Creed Assassin's Creed Altair Chronicles Assassin's Creed II Assassin's Creed II: Discovery Assassin's Creed Bloodlines Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Assassin's Creed Revelations Assassin's Creed III Assassin's Creed Liberation

All remember that all of that came out within five years.

Most milked new IP of the gen, right here.