Best Trilogy of this Generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by lundy86_4 (44118 posts) -

Mass Effect. By far my favourite.

#102 Posted by I_AM_MEGATRON (377 posts) -
i vote for dead space
#103 Posted by RR360DD (13005 posts) -
I have to give the edge to the Mass Effect trilogy as all 3 games were superb. Uncharted is a close second, but the first game was a bit weak, same for Assassins Creed trilogy. The only Gears game I really enjoyed was the third, and LOL at resistance.
#104 Posted by topgeareasy (562 posts) -

Has anyone considered GTA 4 as a trilogy? Because Niko's story, Lost and Damned, and Ballad of Gay Tony would fit the bill at least. Personally I thought the expansions had some neat ideas, even if TLAD had a group of characters that came off hella douchy. jg4xchamp

if it counts it would be near worst trilogy rather than best trilogy

#105 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I vote for none of the above because they all failed spectacularly in their own special way.DarkLink77
I agree and vote for the Skate trilogy. Extremely consistent and of good quality.
#106 Posted by Sushiglutton (5466 posts) -
If Rocksteady makes a third Arkham game, and it's not nazi-propaganda or something else extremely offensive, they win. Uncharted is number one so far to me though. But I'm playing Bioshock 2 atm and I must say that game is really awesome. B1 was fanatstic. Is 3 is as good as it seems than Bioshock is also a candidate. If Visceral hired me to do some tweaks on Dead Space it could also have won. Same with Assassin's Creed. So yeah this ramble concludes that Uncharted is the winner (for now).
#107 Posted by GamingVengeance (1874 posts) -
the stalker trilogy should be on there instead of resistance, or really any other trilogy lol. my choice is mass effect tho
#108 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -
Mass Effect Trilogy, it was the most consistent(horrible ending aside) and definitely my favorite, and I never thought I could become so strangely attatched to fictional characters. Assassins Creed-Revelations sucked so it was out of the running, and the first one was too repetitive. Uncharted- Probably a cinematic masterpiece, but I could never liken up to the shooting controls, so not the best trilogy IMO. Winner(out of what I played)-Mass Effect
#109 Posted by AdobeArtist (23023 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

While there are games that have been great continuations of series that had their beginnings in previous generations, this gen has seen the rise of some amazing trilogies.

So the criteria is pretty clear for what qualified entry into the poll;

* excatly 3 games to the series
* beginning and concluding in this generation.

SPYDER0416

None of the games in the poll meet that first criteria:

Gears of War: 4th one announced
Mass Effect: 4th one announced
Assassin's Creed: there have already been 6 or more games
Uncharted: 4 games have been released
Resistance: 5 games have been released

I believe he's referring to currently released numbered entries, so spin offs (like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood), and sequels that have yet to release (like Gears of War: Judgement, which is also a non numbered entry, and Mass Effect 4 which is still a long ways off and doesn't even have a concrete name) don't ruin the criteria.

Yeah, I should have clarified that. Thanks :)

And as pointed out with Bioshock, Infinite is unrelated to the previous two games.

#110 Posted by ujjval16 (1669 posts) -
It's between Mass Effect and Uncharted. However, Uncharted 1 had no replay value, so I'm gonna give it to mass effect.
#111 Posted by AAllxxjjnn (19988 posts) -
I vote for none of the above because they all failed spectacularly in their own special way.DarkLink77
Yep. Every trilogy this gen has felt very uneven. The first game almost always feels like a rough draft of the third game.
#112 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Mass Effect's my favorite out of those. It's got problems, but it's still a damn fun series.

#113 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

Gears of War is the most consistent, I think (speaking only about the campaigns). Each one was better than the last, none of them were effed up in any particular way, and the third game even had an okay ending.

As for my favorite, Phoenix Wright (yes it is this gen, shut up).

#114 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17469 posts) -

Gears of War is the most consistent, I think (speaking only about the campaigns). Each one was better than the last, none of them were effed up in any particular way, and the third game even had an okay ending.

As for my favorite, Phoenix Wright (yes it is this gen, shut up).

Cherokee_Jack

Yeah phoenix wright should count, at least for people that don't speak Japanese. That is my favourite trilogy

#115 Posted by Gibsonsg527 (3313 posts) -

Never played Resistance or Uncharted, but Im going to say none because the rest are really inconsistent.

#116 Posted by Kandlegoat (3147 posts) -

Penumbra.

#117 Posted by hippiesanta (9981 posts) -
nothing beats Uncharted
#118 Posted by Zero5000X (8242 posts) -

I guess I'd have to go with Gears of War by default.

Resistance isn't and has never been anything special.

The first Mass Effect was great, but each successive game got progressively worse as they continued to dumb down and casualize.

The first Assassin's Creed was alright mainly because it felt new, but after that the series got boring because of the terrible combat, boring missions, and absurd stories.

The Uncharted series was good, but I felt like each of the games were overrated. I also found U3 to be way too scripted.

#119 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
I gotta go with Mass Effect. The other series were all great games (except for Mehsistance) but the continuity from start to finish made it special. It also made the failing at the end harder to swallow, but I'll take the bad with the good.
#120 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Props for adding Resistance to the poll. I didn't know you had it in ya, adobe :P

Resistance FTW. Gritty, dark, and challenging campaigns, excellent weapon loadouts, awesome bad guys, and up until R3 some damn fine multiplayer action.

#121 Posted by AdobeArtist (23023 posts) -

Props for adding Resistance to the poll. I didn't know you had it in ya, adobe :P

Resistance FTW. Gritty, dark, and challenging campaigns, excellent weapon loadouts, awesome bad guys, and up until R3 some damn fine multiplayer action.

Master_ShakeXXX

Never underestimate me :cool:

#122 Posted by chocolate1325 (32595 posts) -

Mass Effect for me.

#123 Posted by Ballroompirate (23649 posts) -

Have to go with Mass Effect easily, Uncharted would be an easy 2nd.

#124 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Uncharted.

#125 Posted by jondoe3311 (236 posts) -

The choices in your poll are bad and you should feel bad.

inb4 the BioDrones line up and start chanting about how great MassEffect is like they were brainwashed to do

inb4 nobody except maybe Shake says Resistance

inb4 the Cows talk about how much they loved being a poor man's Indiana Jones

inb4 someone says Gears of War and actually tries to defend Gears of War 2

inb4 someone says Assassin's Creed and forgets that 1. It's not a trilogy and 2. How ridiculously uneven it's been

I vote for none of the above because they all failed spectacularly in their own special way.

DarkLink77
Best post yet
#126 Posted by jondoe3311 (236 posts) -
Oh and the Uncharted series is objectively crap. Linear 6 hour games, anyone who thinks Uncharted is the best probably started gaming this gen.
#127 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Oh and the Uncharted series is objectively crap. Linear 6 hour games, anyone who thinks Uncharted is the best probably started gaming this gen. jondoe3311

Critics disagree with you. Uncharted's awards says hi.

#128 Posted by Chutebox (37983 posts) -

Uncharted, easily.

#129 Posted by Chutebox (37983 posts) -
Oh and the Uncharted series is objectively crap. Linear 6 hour games, anyone who thinks Uncharted is the best probably started gaming this gen. jondoe3311
Somebody sounds insecure.
#130 Posted by lundy86_4 (44118 posts) -

I fail to see the objectivity here, alt. Post under your proper acct.

#132 Posted by FrozenLiquid (12824 posts) -

inb4 the BioDrones line up and start chanting about how great MassEffect is like they were brainwashed to do

inb4 someone says Assassin's Creed and forgets that 1. It's not a trilogy and 2. How ridiculously uneven it's been

I vote for none of the above because they all failed spectacularly in their own special way.

DarkLink77
Best post.
#134 Posted by jondoe3311 (236 posts) -

[QUOTE="jondoe3311"]Oh and the Uncharted series is objectively crap. Linear 6 hour games, anyone who thinks Uncharted is the best probably started gaming this gen. GamerwillzPS

Critics disagree with you. Uncharted's awards says hi.

I'm sure if I bribed the critics they would of said the opposite. No innovation in the game, generic story about sterotypical villain looking for item that can destroy the world, tacked on multiplayer. What was the appeal of Dude Raider again? I wouldn't know since my IQ isn't under 85
#135 Posted by 3rdbass (3296 posts) -

Uncharted followed by Mass Effect. I love just how easy and fun the Uncharted series is to pick up.

#136 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

Mass Effect

#137 Posted by Trinexxx (883 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

While there are games that have been great continuations of series that had their beginnings in previous generations, this gen has seen the rise of some amazing trilogies.

So the criteria is pretty clear for what qualified entry into the poll;

* excatly 3 games to the series
* beginning and concluding in this generation.

R4gn4r0k

None of the games in the poll meet that first criteria:

Gears of War: 4th one announced
Mass Effect: 4th one announced
Assassin's Creed: there have already been 6 or more games
Uncharted: 4 games have been released
Resistance: 5 games have been released

Doesn't matter. The new Gears of War is a prequel. That's like saying the original 3 Star Wars aren't a trilogy because of the new movies, when in reality they are just 2 trilogies that are linked.
#138 Posted by gensigns (1481 posts) -
the one that had all 3 games above 90 on metacritic....
#139 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

DarkLink77
Oh, yeah, I forgot how bad your opinion was. Thanks for the reminder.
#140 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

Mass Effect, without question.

#141 Posted by padaporra (3437 posts) -

the one that had all 3 games above 90 on metacritic....gensigns

Both Gears and Mass Effect have this. Don't they?

#142 Posted by Twin-Blade (6795 posts) -

It's between Assassins Creed and Gears of War for me. Mass Effect is good too. I own all three Uncharted games but I'm only 70% through the first game before I had to stop. I'll push through it because I hear the next two are fantastic, but if the first game is representative of the series it's not one I'm going to really enjoy. Even if the next two are great, I'd regard the first as a let down.

#143 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Has anyone considered GTA 4 as a trilogy? Because Niko's story, Lost and Damned, and Ballad of Gay Tony would fit the bill at least. Personally I thought the expansions had some neat ideas, even if TLAD had a group of characters that came off hella douchy. IAmNot_fun
Story-wise, it is the best trilogy this gen, hands down.

But it's not really a trilogy. It is the 4th in the series and not a new IP. Though it does have 3 stories, the two "sequels" are just expansions, not really full games, even if they are huge and we still have a new Grand Theft Auto coming out this spring.

#145 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
gears of war. Resistance and mass effect are the only ones that can be classified as a trilogy... Uncharted entries dont follow a continuous storyline.. Havnt played ac3 yet, but im guessing there will be an ac4? I say gears was the best TRILOGY
#146 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17469 posts) -

Doesn't matter. The new Gears of War is a prequel. That's like saying the original 3 Star Wars aren't a trilogy because of the new movies, when in reality they are just 2 trilogies that are linked.Trinexxx

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying: Star Wars isn't a trilogy. It consists of 6 films, even more if you want to count them all.

tril·o·gy/trilj/Noun:

A group of three related novels, plays, films, operas, or albums.

(in ancient Greece) A series of three tragedies performed one after the other.

#147 Posted by DarkLink77 (31858 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

lx_theo
Oh, yeah, I forgot how bad your opinion was. Thanks for the reminder.

And I forgot how little I cared about yours. Thanks for the reminder.
#148 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

None of them:

Mass Effect 1 needed better combat and more polish, Mass Effect 2 needed a better story and more RPG like, Mass Effect 3 needed a better ending.

Uncharted 1 and 3 were disappointing in ways while Uncharted 2 is the only extreme high quality game on the list.

Gears have good campaigns though they have their fair share of problems but the multiplayer in 2nd is laughable, needs more polish.

Ass Creed 1 wasn't even that good unlike it's sequels.

Putting Resistance on there is a joke in itself, none of the games are really good, the 2nd one is a disappointment in campaign and the 3rd one has laughably bad multiplayer.

#149 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Not a single delusional texasgoldrush post ?

Strange.

#150 Posted by Lucianu (9548 posts) -

You forgot the Stalker trilogy, which is the obvious answer. And Resistance? Man, that's scraping on the bottom of the barrel.