Best Ending/Worst Ending this generation... *Spoilers galore*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

This generation is coming to a close and most of us have played a healthy portion of great games... In your opinion, which game had the very best ending this generation and which had the very worst...

Mine...

Best-

Portal Dos

p2

Contextually perfect... amazing climax moments and still in line with the scope of the game.

p21

Even a tad humbling as you emerge from a game that provided a beautifully chaotic mind f*ck...

Worst

Assassins Creed 1

Ac1

Get the f*ck out of here with that no ending ending shiit... Made me feel like it was some shiity Lord of the Rings movie... Wake up from the Animus, watch dr. d-bag walk out the door, left only with a cold and lifeless lab, you.... do nothing. the end, thanks for playing now get f*cked. Obviously, when we play monday morning quarterback we can see there was a rhyme and reason to the mystery, but it doesn't excuse the mishandling of the closure of what was a pretty awesome game. Give me SOMETHING for f*cks sake. :P

What say you System Warriors...?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
The worst is easily AC3. IDK about best
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

FOR EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS THREAD

SPOILER TAGS =

[spoiler*] your text here [/spoiler]

Just remove the star

Just thought I'd help out the rest of us.

Worst this generation? Killzone 3 by far, only because of how stupid it is. Gears of War 3's ending made the first two games look pretty much inconsequential.

Best goes to DXHR, Prince of Persia 2008 (F*ck you Epilogue DLC), Spec Ops: The Line, and a few more I can't remember.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Best? Spec Ops: The Line.

Worst? Mass Effect 2 or 3.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

worst ending's? demons and dark souls

best ending? Journey

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Best: The Darkness Worst: Launch version Mass Effect 3
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

SPOILER TAGS =

Just remove the star

Worst this generation? Killzone 3 by far, only because of how stupid it is. Gears of War 3's ending made the first two games look pretty much inconsequential.

Best goes to DXHR, Prince of Persia 2008 (F*ck you Epilogue DLC), Spec Ops: The Line, and a few more I can't remember.

Blabadon
Thanks brother... I probably shouldve noted that myself :)
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Easily the worst ending for me is Mass Effect 3.

If you're making a Trilogy (a planned one especially) Do what Lord of the Rings does, Do NOT do what Mass Effect does. Worst ending to any Trilogy I've ever seen.

I can't tell you the Best Ending to a game for this Generation. I've played a lot of games, but I can't give you a definite ending to choose since I haven't finished a lot of my games. I guess I could say Metal Gear Solid 4 would be the best Ending. It's the only game I can think of that did pretty well on it's ending.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

Best? Spec Ops: The Line.

Worst? Mass Effect 2 or 3.

DarkLink77
I can't wait to dig into spec ops... Its like this guilty pleasure game that sits on my shelf waiting for my kids to go to sleep :P
krisroe_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 krisroe_213
Member since 2003 • 898 Posts

ME3 hands down.

I can't play any of the ME games anymore. It's ruined

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I really liked Alan Wakes ending. The worst is easily Mass Effect 3... thats the worst I think I have ever played

Fear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fear-
Member since 2012 • 499 Posts
You should add spoiler in the title
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

ME3 hands down.

I can't play any of the ME games anymore. It's ruined

krisroe_213
you have shepard in your avi :P c'mon though, as a mass effect nut, with every achievment and numerous playthroughs on all three games, it really didnt bother me all that much... I just wanted shepard to win.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

If I think about it more I may change my answers but for now

Best is a tie -Mass Effect 1- [spoiler] The epic space battle as all the ships fire on Sovereign. The conversation with Saren ending with him shooting himself in the head. At first thinking Shep is dead and then he/she runs unto the rubble with a smirk on his face. I had just had a smile on my face of pure satisfaction when the ending song started to play. [/spoiler]

Best also - Red Dead Redemption -[spoiler] John Marston for me was easily one of the best characters this gen. When he was teaching his son how to shoot, herd cattle and the rest it was clear what was going to happen but it did not stop me from being super pissed. I never got as angry at a character dying as when Marston did. Even though it made me angry it was still done very well and also how years later the son was able to get payback. [/spoiler]

Worst- Rage-[spoiler] It just stopped so abruptly. I had a ton of weapons ready to go during the last stage thinking it was going to be some tough ass stage but like I said it just stopped way too abruptly. [/spoiler]

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
You should add spoiler in the title Fear-
I did good sir.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Best: Castlevania:Lords of Shadows

Worst: Final Fantasy 13-2, i love this game, but its ending made me so mad.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

see spoiler above CanYouDiglt
didnt play rage, but excellent call on ME1 and RDR... really memorable and really good. ps the closing song is called M4 Part2 by the Faunts... I use it in my jogging mix :P it friggin rocks.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blabadon
CanYouDiglt
Holy son of spoilers Batman
Fear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fear-
Member since 2012 • 499 Posts
[QUOTE="Fear-"]You should add spoiler in the title TheEroica
I did good sir.

Good man!
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]If I think about it more I may change my answers but for now Best is a tie -Mass Effect 1- The epic space battle as all the ships fire on Sovereign. The conversation with Saren ending with him shooting himself in the head. At first thinking Shep is dead and then he/she runs unto the rubble with a smirk on his face. I had just had a smile on my face of pure satisfaction when the ending song started to play. Best also - Red Dead Redemption - John Marston for me was easily one of the best characters this gen. When he was teaching his son how to shoot, herd cattle and the rest it was clear what was going to happen but it did not stop me from being super pissed. I never got as angry at a character dying as when Marston did. Even though it made me angry it was still done very well and also how years later the son was able to get payback. Worst- Rage- It just stopped so abruptly. I had a ton of weapons ready to go during the last stage thinking it was going to be some tough ass stage but like I said it just stopped way too abruptly.

Top two are good answers. I didnt play Rage.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Blabadon

haha... true, though to be fair, we're talking about 5 year old games here. still... haha
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

Best ending:

• MGS4 + Journey + RDR - f*cking cried.

Worst ending:

• ME3 + AC3 - f*ck your sh*t.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Best? The Last Story

Worst? ACIII.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]''.TheEroica

didnt play rage, but excellent call on ME1 and RDR... really memorable and really good. ps the closing song is called M4 Part2 by the Faunts... I use it in my jogging mix :P it friggin rocks.

Ya I listen to the song a lot. I am even listening to it now since I was thinking about the ME1 ending lol
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Blabadon

I went back and put tags up just in case but did not worry since all 3 games I mentioned are kinda old.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]''.CanYouDiglt

Ya I listen to the song a lot. I am even listening to it now since I was thinking about the ME1 ending lol

Yes, that was a spectacular ending theme. I also recommend M4 Part1 and they also did remixes of both of the songs that are good.
worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

Best Halo 4 [spoiler] The ending with chief being a wreck he saved the world but lost cortana, he's finally after so many years of hell Human, Or is he? and the didacts speech was by far epic in everyway [/spoiler]

Worst Rage It's obvious if you played the game

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] didnt play rage, but excellent call on ME1 and RDR... really memorable and really good. ps the closing song is called M4 Part2 by the Faunts... I use it in my jogging mix :P it friggin rocks.wolverine4262

Yes, that was a spectacular ending theme. I also recommend M4 Part1 and they also did remixes of both of the songs that are good.

Thx I am checking it out now.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]''.CanYouDiglt

As a career musician I tell myself quite frequently that Ill sit down and flesh out that guitar part but I havent as of yet. I find it hard to believe that its not looped or something given its persistence throughout the song. its about a 6 minute song too I believe.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wolverine4262

As a career musician I tell myself quite frequently that Ill sit down and flesh out that guitar part but I havent as of yet. I find it hard to believe that its not looped or something given its persistence throughout the song. its about a 6 minute song too I believe.TheEroica
I think M4 Part 2 is over 8 minutes actually. but yeah its friggin epic.

M4 Part 1 is also pretty long. I think they are meant to be listened to together because Part 1 builds at the end and has no lyrics.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]CanYouDiglt

I went back and put tags up just in case but did not worry since all 3 games I mentioned are kinda old.

I played a bit of ME recently, so it surprised me when I accidentally read that far. My bad.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Holy son of spoilers BatmanBlabadon

I played a bit of ME recently, so it surprised me when I accidentally read that far. My bad.

I am honestly sorry. I hate having stuff spoiled for me and was just not thinking since they are older games.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Gears 2 is worst (still haventplayed ME3).

Best is heavenly sword...gotta think bout it more

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts

SPOILER TAGS =

Just remove the star

Blabadon
DXHR? [spoiler] I love DXHr as you can probably tell by my sig and avatar but come on man.... press button 1, 2, 3... OR GO AROUND THE CORNER TO PRESS BUTTON 4. But seriously while the endings talked about the games themes well enough, it didn't give closure or anything to the story, like what happened to Malik if you saved her? What happened to Sarifs company? What happened to the illuminati? Based on your decisions, it should have gave a sort of closure with Jensen depending on his choice and an epilogue which told you what happened afterwards (kind of like Dragon age: Orgins). I felt the ending was rushed.... I hope they didn't do these endings just to satisfy the name of the game, a "Deus Ex Machine" for a "Deus Ex" game. But I did like how the endings touched on the themes of the game like transhuminism, corrupt Goverment etc [/spoiler] And for th best endings, I can't really decide. I like DA:O because of how you get to have a final little chat with your companions and the epilogue which told you the exact repercussions ans consequences of your actions. I also liked AC3's ending with Connor, his epilogue which is a bit sad. Bioshock 2 also had a good ending, it was much more emotional and powerful than the original Bioshock. As for worst? Assassin's Creed 3's modern world ending with Desmond.... the original Mass Effect 3 endings (extended version were MUCH better), Dishonored's endings as they felt a bit rushed..... I would say the AC3 modern world ending is the worst in this case as ME3 did get extended cut. It seems like 2012 is the year of bad endings, heh.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

[QUOTE="TheEroica"] As a career musician I tell myself quite frequently that Ill sit down and flesh out that guitar part but I havent as of yet. I find it hard to believe that its not looped or something given its persistence throughout the song. its about a 6 minute song too I believe.wolverine4262

I think M4 Part 2 is over 8 minutes actually. but yeah its friggin epic.

M4 Part 1 is also pretty long. I think they are meant to be listened to together because Part 1 builds at the end and has no lyrics.

Yes, I believe youre right... Ive listened to part 1 a few times and it rocks. I was really hoping for another faunts song at the end of ME2 or ME3 to rock the credits.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Best: Mass Effect 2 Worst: Mass Effect 3 I'm serious.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="TheEroica"] Yes, I believe youre right... Ive listened to part 1 a few times and it rocks. I was really hoping for another faunts song at the end of ME2 or ME3 to rock the credits.

I could have sworn ME3 did have a faunts song. Wasnt it a M4 beat? I honestly cannot remember since I have picked the game up once after lol....
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Best: Mass Effect 2 Worst: Mass Effect 3 I'm serious.

haha... really? ME2 was the most forgettable of the series endings for me. ME1 was boss.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] Yes, I believe youre right... Ive listened to part 1 a few times and it rocks. I was really hoping for another faunts song at the end of ME2 or ME3 to rock the credits.

I could have sworn ME3 did have a faunts song. Wasnt it a M4 beat? I honestly cannot remember since I have picked the game up once after lol....

I finished my insanity run a few weeks ago and I dont recall hearing one, but I couldve missed it due to my huge gaming wood for killing it insanity style ;)
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]Best: Mass Effect 2 Worst: Mass Effect 3 I'm serious.

haha... really? ME2 was the most forgettable of the series endings for me. ME1 was boss.

i really liked the ending. The last fifty minutes of that game might be my favorite ending for any game ever actually.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="TheEroica"] I finished my insanity run a few weeks ago and I dont recall hearing one, but I couldve missed it due to my huge gaming wood for killing it insanity style ;)

I just cannot bring myself to play it again.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Best: Mass Effect 2 Worst: Mass Effect 3 I'm serious. TheEroica

Maybe Charizard is talking about.

[spoiler] How you can tell off the Illusive Man at the end and just walk off like a boss. Not to mention the entire Suicide Mission. [/spoiler]

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blabadon
I am honestly sorry. I hate having stuff spoiled for me and was just not thinking since they are older games. CanYouDiglt
It's all good man.[QUOTE="dracolich55"] DXHR? [spoiler] I love DXHr as you can probably tell by my sig and avatar but come on man.... press button 1, 2, 3... OR GO AROUND THE CORNER TO PRESS BUTTON 4. But seriously while the endings talked about the games themes well enough, it didn't give closure or anything to the story, like what happened to Malik if you saved her? What happened to Sarifs company? What happened to the illuminati? Based on your decisions, it should have gave a sort of closure with Jensen depending on his choice and an epilogue which told you what happened afterwards (kind of like Dragon age: Orgins). I felt the ending was rushed.... I hope they didn't do these endings just to satisfy the name of the game, a "Deus Ex Machine" for a "Deus Ex" game. But I did like how the endings touched on the themes of the game like transhuminism, corrupt Goverment etc [/spoiler] And for my favourite endings, I can't really decide. I like DA:O because of how you get to have a final little chat with your companions and the epilogue which told you the exact repercussions ans consequences of your actions. I also liked AC2's ending with Connor, his epilogue which is a bit sad. Bioshock 2 also had a good ending, it was much more emotional and powerful than the original Bioshock. As for worst? Assassin's Creed 3's modern world ending with Desmond.... the original Mass Effect 3 endings (extended version were MUCH better), Dishonored's endings as they felt a bit rushed..... I would say the AC3 modern world ending is the worst in this case as ME3 did get extended cut. It seems like 2012 is the year of bad endings, heh.

Oh yeah, there were a lot of main characters who didn't get closure (I love your sig btw), but the simple way the endings were done with [spoiler] the live scenes with Adam Jensen's voiceover [/spoiler] felt incredibly powerful in its own way. They allowed a pseudo-fourth wall approach that allows us to see what the various endings are done in the main world. I'll edit my post to the actual endings themselves, rather than how you get to them or the events leading up to them (because there were quite a few unexplained things). Then again, I am biased a little because I'm friends with Jensen's voice actor on Facebook.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#44 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
best ending: demon's souls [spoiler]

the whole game is based around internal pats on the back as motivation rather than gigantic cutscenes telling you how spectacular you are and how all the digital people love you for it. there are no tiny quests as step-by-step benchmarks to lead you along either. i don't know why, but i still expected something more in line with contemporary standards on my first run through. nope, you're back at the beginning.

the lore is cyclical too, so i appreciate that the cycle keeps getting larger as you continue.

[/spoiler] worst? i don't know. there were plenty of stories/games that didn't intrigue me at all and so the ending wasn't a big deal for me. an ending i thought was disappointing because i like the game up to that point is in l.a. noire. [spoiler] the best parts of the game aren't the shooting or driving sequences. they involve going through the crime scenes and using evidence to cross interrogate suspects. sadly, the ending of the game focused on the driving and the shooting. i don't like the idea that big climax has to be physical action. [/spoiler]
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]Best: Mass Effect 2 Worst: Mass Effect 3 I'm serious.

i really liked the ending. The last fifty minutes of that game might be my favorite ending for any game ever actually.

I loved the assault on harbinger and the crazy suicide mission... if thats where you consider the start of the ending then goddamn thats a good ending :)
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] I finished my insanity run a few weeks ago and I dont recall hearing one, but I couldve missed it due to my huge gaming wood for killing it insanity style ;)

why!?!? your a huge ME nerd man! you were an officer in the union! I played it at launch and wrote the review for a website I was working for, then didnt touch it for months so Id get a fresh perspective and it was even better the second time through... its those characters man, they grab you. I think youll thank me if you play it again.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]Best: Mass Effect 2 Worst: Mass Effect 3 I'm serious. LegatoSkyheart

Maybe Charizard is talking about.

[spoiler] How you can tell off the Illusive Man at the end and just walk off like a boss. Not to mention the entire Suicide Mission. [/spoiler]

it just clicked that he was speaking of the suicide mission... good call.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
my favorites: MGS4, TWEWY, 999 (can't gush enough about 999). all 3 excellent, powerful endings to excellently written stories. the worst: guild wars 2. now it's not that the ending itself is bad, it's specifically the final boss that is one of the worst fights i've ever had the disgrace of playing in my entire gaming life. it's the one moment in my hundreds and hundreds of hours that i thought "oh my god this is bad. really, really bad".
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Im just going to replace best with great, and worst with sh!t Great: God of war 2 Resistance 2 Gears 3 God of war 3 Cod 4 Modern warfare 2 halo 4 Darksiders Uncharted 2/3 Batman AC Infamous ff13 yakuza 3 Resident Evil 5 (yes, i enjoyed it) killzone 2 Worst: Resistance 3 Saints Row the Third Assassins creed 1, 2 + brotherhood Rage Deus Ex HR Fear 2 Bioshock Bioshock 2 Borderlands Red Faction Guerrilla Resident Evil 5 (what? how can it be on both lists? well...[spoiler] THEY F***** KILLED WESKER!!! [/spoiler]
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] I finished my insanity run a few weeks ago and I dont recall hearing one, but I couldve missed it due to my huge gaming wood for killing it insanity style ;)TheEroica

why!?!? your a huge ME nerd man! you were an officer in the union! I played it at launch and wrote the review for a website I was working for, then didnt touch it for months so Id get a fresh perspective and it was even better the second time through... its those characters man, they grab you. I think youll thank me if you play it again.

15 minutes was enough to ruin 180 hours.