Atari Bankrupt... :( Ode to a legend....

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

Gamespot Reports

The once great titan of all that was good and hopeful in our beloved hobby is in it's death rattle. They revolutionized the home console... They introduced some of the most beloved games in the history of gaming and now, after a checkered financial history of the highest of highs and lowest of lows, the mighty Atari falls... and as history proclaims, so shall we all.

Somewhere in this fair land Chuck-E-Cheese is crying...

For the kiddies in system wars...

A very small ode... (yes mods, it gets system wars(y) at the end... :P

The Atari 2600... (my first console). Every day you turn on you precious xbox,ps3 or wiiu remember where you came from...

atari

games

So many great franchises lived on Atari consoles...

et

...and a few really shiity ones... :P (I own this game by the way and it is utter crap)

jaguarjag

The Jaguar... Sold 8 copies... 8 of which were purchased by the developers themselves... 7 were returned... no one know where the 8th is...

c

What Atari turned into... :(

System Wars relevance... (as promised)

Today a great company fell... many other companies have spawned successful business on the backs of Atari success (and failures)... Nintendo, Sony and MS all have reason to tip their hat to this company.

When ranking the truly great companies and influences, inovation and experiences in gaming history where do you believe Atari fits in... You can either just share a memory or give me list on what you think...

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
Not the same Atari.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheEroica  Moderator
Not the same Atari.fernandmondego_
wait what? is my atari eulogy premature???
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
good riddance, Sad for the employees, but nothing of value was lost. also, already a thread http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29342787/flags-at-half-mast-folks..-atari-na-files-for-chapter-11-cuts-ties-to-france
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="campzor"]good riddance, Sad for the employees, but nothing of value was lost. also, already a thread http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29342787/flags-at-half-mast-folks..-atari-na-files-for-chapter-11-cuts-ties-to-france

damn it, I checked the first couple pages and saw nothing...
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
What we call Atari today is actually Infogrames. The Atari that made all those old video games does not exist anymore.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEroica  Moderator
What we call Atari today is actually Infogrames. The Atari that made all those old video games does not exist anymore.Timstuff
sweet madness... when did this happen... Im weeping over the wrong grave stone!haha
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44063 Posts

Doooooomed, past tense. :P

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

The best Atri system was the 7800. It was a better machine than the NES. Had Atari had proper leadership at the time, the 7800 - which could have come out 2 years before the NES - could have returned the company to glory. Sadly, that did not happen; though it was good for Nintendo!

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I thought they went under after the Jaguar flopped. I'm assuming from the Chuck E Cheese references they made those kiddy arcade games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator

I thought they went under after the Jaguar flopped. I'm assuming from the Chuck E Cheese references they made those kiddy arcade games.

Boddicker
Actually the owner of atari had also owned chuck e cheese for a while or still does... though now im not sure which company is which!
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#12 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

The memories and the legacy will never die

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I thought they went bankrupt 30 years ago.

They were alive? Doing what exactly?

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Cause she's an Xbox, and I'm on Atari. About the way you play your game in bed.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Cause she's an Xbox, and I'm on Atari. About the way you play your game in bed.

burgeg

lol love that song

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Was the Amiga a part of the Atari?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Atari? Those guys that make T-shirts? *trollface*
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
They still publish games? I could of swore i seen their logo recently while playing some game..
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

The best Atri system was the 7800. It was a better machine than the NES. Had Atari had proper leadership at the time, the 7800 - which could have come out 2 years before the NES - could have returned the company to glory. Sadly, that did not happen; though it was good for Nintendo!

StormyJoe

Investors back then were pretty dumd to fire Nolan Bushnell.

Edited: He was forced out of the Company over a disagreement on Atari's future.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

While the company Infogrames may die out, the Atari name will live on and manifest itself once again later on.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

You know what was a really cool game? The Pong game for PS1. That game was awesome. Some really creative twists on pong and it was super fun.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts
R.I.P. Atari you will always be a part of my childhood, i'll always remember laying on my living room floor on that thick 70's green carpet in my six million dollar man feety pajamas on a saturday morning after watching Loony Tunes and eating my captn crunch, and diving into some Pac man and Pitfall and many others while my rainy saturdays just flew by in video gaming splendor. I've owned and enjoyed every Atari console and portable ever since and i'm deeply saddened by the dissolve of the company, hopefully they can find a way to come back and at least develop or contribute to developing games in some way. You'll always live on in our memories Atari...Thanks for the many years of fun.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="Slimmin360"]R.I.P. Atari you will always be a part of my childhood, i'll always remember laying on my living room floor on that thick 70's green carpet in my six million dollar man feety pajamas on a saturday morning after watching Loony Tunes and eating my captn crunch, and diving into some Pac man and Pitfall and many others while my rainy saturdays just flew by in video gaming splendor. I've owned and enjoyed every Atari console and portable ever since and i'm deeply saddened by the dissolve of the company, hopefully they can find a way to come back and at least develop or contribute to developing games in some way. You'll always live on in our memories Atari...Thanks for the many years of fun.

Well said.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Had they actually continued on the Panther. We could have had 4 console competitors to this day.
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

faizan_faizan
No, the Amiga was from Commodore as well as the Vic-20, C64, C128 etc etc
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#26 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I'll always appreciate them for publishing the first wave of Dragon Ball games. Hell Budokai 3 is my favorite Dragon Ball game followed by Burst Limit.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I really don't consider this Atari to be the same as the legendary Atari of old. That brand has been dead for years.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

carlisledavid79

I think the Amiga is my favorite system out of any that I've owned and I've owned pretty much all of the relevant systems throughout the years. The developers that came out of that ecosystem have pretty much made gaming as popular as it is today. Outside of Nintendo, no other system comes close imo.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

There are actually two companies that were known as Atari and both claim descent from the orginal Atari that created Pong and the 2600 and was owned by Time Warner. After the crash of 1983, Time Warner looked into selling Atari. They held onto the arcade division which was known as Atari Games while the home console division was sold to Jack Traimel. Jack Tramiel focused on Atari's computer line for several years, resulting in the 7800 being put on the shelve for several years. After Nintendo successfully revived the NA market with NES, the 7800 was pushed out and Atari began to develop game consoles during this time. It should be noted that this is the Atari that just went bankrupt. After the failure of the Lynx and Jaguar, this Atari was sold to Hasbro who marketed Atari games under the Atari Interactive label. By 2001, a company called Infogrames Interactive bought Hasbro Interactive which allowed them to gain access to the Atari name and their properties.

Around 2003, Infogrames changed their name to Atari.

This is not the only Atari that has gone bankrupt. It should be noted that the other Atari went under much earlier.

Atari Games was the arcade division of the original Atari. After the crash of 1983, Time Warner held onto them and they continued to make Arcade games. After Nintendo brought back the home console market, this Atari began to look into porting their games to the home market. Because they could not legally use the Atari name, they used the name Tengen for games that they released in the home market. Many gamers from the NES era may remember the battles between Tengen and Nintendo over the lockout chip, Nintendo's control over the games that were on their systems, and how Nintendo treated third-party developers.

Atari Games continued to survive until 1996 when they bought by WMS Industries or the company more commonly known as Midway Games. Under the ownership of Midway, Atari Games continued to develop arcade games until 2000 before Midway opted to leave that market due to the decline of arcades in the US. It was at this point where Atari games was refocused into a developer of home console games. Because there was already another Atari making games for homes, Midway opted to rename them Midway Games West. The final nail to this Atari came in 2003 when Midway Games West was disbanded due to slumping sales. A few years later in 2009, Midway Games themselves went bankrupt.

Warner Brothers Interactive now owns the rights to Atari's arcade legacy since they bought out Midway's assets.

The saga of Atari is a long and confusing one. If anyone wants to add to this, be my guest. I just wanted people to understand which Atari went bankrupt today. It should be noted however, both Ataris claim descent from the original Atari.

Which means the bankruptcy of this Atari is truly a sad thing. Hopefully, the legacy of both Ataris will continue to live on in some fashion.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Its only Atari in name
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Atari also had this. Good thing I already bought it:

bd_48508_0_0_DungeonsDragonsAnthology.jp

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

they have sucked for a long time i cant remember the last time i wanted one of thier games.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I had that ET game in the op, its the worst game i have ever played, ever.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Slimmin360"]R.I.P. Atari you will always be a part of my childhood, i'll always remember laying on my living room floor on that thick 70's green carpet in my six million dollar man feety pajamas on a saturday morning after watching Loony Tunes and eating my captn crunch, and diving into some Pac man and Pitfall and many others while my rainy saturdays just flew by in video gaming splendor. I've owned and enjoyed every Atari console and portable ever since and i'm deeply saddened by the dissolve of the company, hopefully they can find a way to come back and at least develop or contribute to developing games in some way. You'll always live on in our memories Atari...Thanks for the many years of fun.

Well said.

Thanks Man.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
Its only Atari in name NEWMAHAY
DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DerveCreaves
Member since 2013 • 345 Posts
I remember being int the marketing and design group for the Jaguar and being at E3 a few times.  Then they cut the budget, for no reason. Then they cut out all projects and abandoned them accept the Jaguar. Then they dropped development of a few other devices and wasted money. Which then they cut the budget again. Which then we got some good companies on board but had terrible advertising after launch. Do the math with the school teacher worked for awhile but that was pretty much the biggest we could afford. Then we started to recoup but to save money skimped on improving dev tolls and other dev assistance. Then that made the Jaguar unbearable by 1995. Then it seemed like dumb management stopped giving a fluck. Then at 1998ish that was pretty much it. Like 3 games showed up and most of the money was spend on project scraped for no real reason but managements stupid heads thinking things may not work. After the money was already wasted. Good times.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#38 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

test drive unlimited test drive unlimited2 and test drive ferrari racing challenge ring bells

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Atari's been dead for long time now... yea sad I know. In my town there's still one abandond building that on the outside still has an Atari logo on it from the '80s lol. I think it's used to be some kind of a retail shop or something.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

carlisledavid79

Ok, I do remember it being the most praised gaming system in my family.
And Hunter was incredible.

FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts

*lights a single candle*

it is done

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DerveCreaves

Don't really care, tbh. The only consoles I had from them were a second hand Atari 400 and a 2600.

2_Quiet_2_Riot
400 is not a console. you own nothing.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

faizan_faizan

I think some of the people who designed the Amiga came from Atari. I'd have to check the bonus DVD which came with my Amiga Forever set. It detailed the history of the Amiga and the people who were prominent in its creation.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"][QUOTE="2_Quiet_2_Riot"]

Don't really care, tbh. The only consoles I had from them were a second hand Atari 400 and a 2600.

2_Quiet_2_Riot

400 is not a console. you own nothing.

Wrong, it was. As far as I can remember in 1982, I was 5, it was a second hand sold to my dad by his co-worker and I know damn well it played like a console, pop in a cartridge and play ;)

You're an idiot :lol:

Lol except I actually had one so I know it was a computer look: "The Atari 8-bit family is a series of 8-bit home computers manufactured from 1979 to 1992." " including the original Atari 400 and 800 and their successors, the XL and XE series of computers." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_8-bit_family Lol, go take your meds.
Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Neon_Noir
Member since 2013 • 1466 Posts

:[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_85AkzIgQ

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"][QUOTE="2_Quiet_2_Riot"]

Wrong, it was. As far as I can remember in 1982, I was 5, it was a second hand sold to my dad by his co-worker and I know damn well it played like a console, pop in a cartridge and play ;)

You're an idiot :lol:

2_Quiet_2_Riot

Lol except I actually had one so I know it was a computer look: "The Atari 8-bit family is a series of 8-bit home computers manufactured from 1979 to 1992." " including the original Atari 400 and 800 and their successors, the XL and XE series of computers." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_8-bit_family Lol, go take your meds.

LOL Wikipedia, :lol: You're desperately trying.

I was 5 at the time, sorry to disapoint you but my Time machine Delorean was only in a movie. We played it like console, and I know damn well I played Missile Command, Pac-Man and Defender on it. ;)

Go back to bed, kiddo.

[img[http://www.gregterzian.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/atari_400_2.jpg[/img] How much ownage do you need before you take your meds? Also, the commodore 64 was a computer that had cartridge support. Lol you lack all knowledge.
DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DerveCreaves
 :lol: