Are the greatest FPS made console exclusives?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (12758 posts) -

My friends, today I was grating cheese. While looking at the green bit, this got me thinking "what is the best FPS of all time". The danger was my own pc bias getting in the way resulting in a corrupted formulated conclusion.

So, by using metacritic rather than my opinion (in order to obtain an objective viewpoint) It seems these are the two highest rated FPS of all time.

The fact the highest regarded FPS in the world are console exclusives coupled with the fact most publishers have moved onto consoles building FPS primarily with consoles and the control pad in mind, prove the ultimately first person shooters are best on console? Your thoughts please.

#3 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3800 posts) -

I think you're a terrible troll.

#4 Posted by Jankarcop (10744 posts) -

Standards. Consoles had nothing like that at the time, so they scored high.

Also review padding.

#5 Posted by CountBleck12 (4151 posts) -

No.

#6 Posted by Vaasman (11796 posts) -

Halo is on PC lol.

#7 Posted by Jankarcop (10744 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

Halo is on PC lol.

They all are, and better on it :P

#8 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

#9 Edited by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

let me list the games that graced pc first. keep up if you can,

call of duty,

quake

doom,

duke nukem 3d,

battlefield.

unreal tournament

counter strike

tribes

minecraft (sort of counts)

wolfenstein

half life

swat

payday

deus ex

system shock

s.t.a.l.k.e.r

arma

and probably some others I cannot list right now,

community,

help me fill in the blank spaces in @uninspiredcup's brain

#11 Posted by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@killatwill15: Arma series is highly under rated.

there we go,

I will add it to my list on top of s.t.a.l.k.e.r

#12 Edited by uninspiredcup (12758 posts) -

Stalker is dead and Arma is a military sim.

Minecraft? My friend, this is a indie crafting game for 5 year olds.

#14 Posted by uninspiredcup (12758 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

dont pull that miltary sim bullshit.

its lame.

But It is a military sim.

#16 Edited by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@SEANMCAD said:

dont pull that miltary sim bullshit.

its lame.

But It is a military sim.

so is battlefield 4, 3, 2 and 1

so is COD

@uninspiredcup just doesn't want to admit that he is wrong,

all consoles have is killzone, halo and Metroid prime nothing else

#17 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4443 posts) -

I'm not trying to detract at all from those great games, but back then there was a lot of excitement for any good console FPS because they were so rare. This may have resulted in some slightly inflated scores. When Halo made its way over to PC, it got a mere 83% metacritic average.

To quote directly from the IGN review, "I loved this game on the Xbox and it's one of the titles I'll still bust out from time to time, particularly for its split-screen multiplayer appeal. But when evaluated against the standards of the current PC shooter catalog, Halo seems to fall short in just a few key areas: repetitive levels, steep performance requirements and a lingering console balance."

#18 Posted by Spartan070 (16379 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

nope...just the ones with the largest marketing budget

Are you denying the utter brilliance of the three titles in the OP?

#19 Posted by BiggChonies882 (60 posts) -

No mention of Goldeneye? Surprised.

#20 Posted by Spartan070 (16379 posts) -

@BiggChonies882 said:

Perfect Dark is Goldeneye 64 but better in almost every way.

#23 Posted by BiggChonies882 (60 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

@BiggChonies882 said:

Does it have Odd Job, Jaws and Trevelyan?

No. No it does not.

#24 Posted by Spartan070 (16379 posts) -

@BiggChonies882 said:

@Spartan070 said:

@BiggChonies882 said:

No. No it does not.

Does Goldeneye have flying laptops, an alien Elvis and the President?

*crickets*

#25 Posted by lawlessx (47171 posts) -

wow..you're threads are actually getting worse.

#26 Edited by happyduds77 (1554 posts) -

No way

#27 Posted by finalstar2007 (25971 posts) -

Call of Duty is not Exclusive

#28 Edited by reggy72 (138 posts) -

I'd say the PC has played host to the finest FPS of all time, but having said that certain titles such as Golden Eye and Halo redefined the experience within the confines of the console market. Nevertheless all the games listed be that console or PC on this thread are brilliant in there own rights.

#29 Posted by kinectthedots (2669 posts) -

fun fact, besides MMO,s RTS's and Strategy games, All the greatest games made are console exclusive.

#30 Posted by adamosmaki (9826 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

wow..you're threads are actually getting worse.

I thought he reached the peak of bad threads but apparently i was wrong. He still have a lot to give.

#31 Posted by sukraj (23975 posts) -

yes

#32 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17508 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Your thoughts please.

Please stop making threads

#33 Posted by jake44 (2056 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

#34 Posted by napo_sp (316 posts) -
Loading Video...

#35 Posted by uninspiredcup (12758 posts) -

But Quake had no story or characters.

#36 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17530 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

But Quake had no story or characters.

If a game like Quake had a story or characters,it'd be one of those games I spend one playthrough on and then toss aside. I probably wouldn't have been addicted to it for years.

#37 Edited by Doom_HellKnight (12211 posts) -

Doom
Quake
Duke Nukem 3D
Half-Life
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Call of Duty + COD: United Offensive

No. The best shooters are not exclusive to consoles.

#38 Posted by Lucianu (9571 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

fun fact, besides MMO,s RTS's and Strategy games, All the greatest games made are console exclusive.

The RTS sub-genre belongs in the strategy genre, no need to mention both as if separate.

#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (12758 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

Excellent point.

#40 Edited by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@kinectthedots said:

Excellent point.

This is something brain dead hermits refuse to admit. I recently told a hermit when Infamous comes to the PC I'll consider switching and he replied

"Just you wait it will"

This is denial at its best.

#41 Posted by BiggChonies882 (60 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

@BiggChonies882 said:

@Spartan070 said:

@BiggChonies882 said:

No. No it does not.

Does Goldeneye have flying laptops, an alien Elvis and the President?

*crickets*

Ha. What a horrible comeback. Flying Laptops? Haha. I've never played Perfect Dark but after hearing your description it sounds lame as hell.

#42 Posted by darkspineslayer (20417 posts) -

Amazing, this thread didn't turn into a half life circle jerk.

#43 Posted by Motokid6 (6296 posts) -

I remember I was actually able to play Halo:CE online with my pc. AND I made maps for it with the dev kit. Had so much fun with that game. And truth be told I wouldn'mind getting my hands on it again for the single player.

That there.. is something I only dreamed of before I got into pc gaming.

#44 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Are the greatest FPS made console exclusives?

No, they are PC exclusive. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Crysis 1 (PC version), Call of Duty+expansion UO, System SHock 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Black Mesa come to mind. Also, Halo Combat Evolved is not exclusive. It is on PC as well. It helps to get your facts straight before making a thread.

#45 Posted by wis3boi (31989 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

#46 Posted by MonsieurX (31663 posts) -

Nope and you should stop creating threads

#47 Posted by Tqricardinho (434 posts) -

Arma and Day Z are probably the best FPSs I've ever played. Even though you can play it on a 3rd person view aswell.

#48 Posted by jg4xchamp (50327 posts) -

When console exclusive FPS games are like Metroid Prime: Fuck yeah. That game and it's sequel are godly.

When console exclusive FPS games are like Halo and Perfect Dark and Killzone and Resistance? LOL no. I mean sure Halo was fun, and I had a delightful time with Resistance 3. Let's not get carried away here. They are shallower games when compared to what Shadow of Chernobyl was doing, Team Fortress 2 on PC was a far more interesting mp game, there are F2P mp titles that do more interesting things than what console fps games do in that department. The better FPS games were multiplats if anything, and the PC still had stuff like Crysis, Cryostasis, and Hard Reset.

Plus you start throwing in stuff that happened in gen 6 and gen 5. It's not even close. Those console excluisve FPS sans 2 Halo games and Timesplitters were straight dwarfed by what you could play on PC(Unreal 2k4, the original Far Cry, No one Lives Forever, Battlefield 1942, 2142, Quake 3, FEAR, etc).

#49 Posted by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

When console exclusive FPS games are like Metroid Prime: Fuck yeah. That game and it's sequel are godly.

When console exclusive FPS games are like Halo and Perfect Dark and Killzone and Resistance? LOL no. I mean sure Halo was fun, and I had a delightful time with Resistance 3. Let's not get carried away here. They are shallower games when compared to what Shadow of Chernobyl was doing, Team Fortress 2 on PC was a far more interesting mp game, there are F2P mp titles that do more interesting things than what console fps games do in that department. The better FPS games were multiplats if anything, and the PC still had stuff like Crysis, Cryostasis, and Hard Reset.

Plus you start throwing in stuff that happened in gen 6 and gen 5. It's not even close. Those console excluisve FPS sans 2 Halo games and Timesplitters were straight dwarfed by what you could play on PC(Unreal 2k4, the original Far Cry, No one Lives Forever, Battlefield 1942, 2142, Quake 3, FEAR, etc).

ohhh no one lives forever,

I love that game, shit I wish my brother didn't smash my disc for that game

#50 Edited by naz99 (1811 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

ohhh no one lives forever,

I love that game, shit I wish my brother didn't smash my disc for that game

It will be a good day when somebody finally pulls their finger out of their ass and works out exactly who owns the ip (its currently in limbo between 2 publishers) and releases them on Steam or GOG for us to play again......i can easily say they both were some of the best single player FPS games to ever be made, and the funniest which is a rare thing with an FPS

And i loved the Lithtech engine it competed with unreal,Source and Id Tech easily,it's such a shame it no longer exists,And No One Lives Forever 3 would be the one game to get me excited about an FPS again for the first time in years.