deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

As a young kid in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, I was absolutely obsessed with my NES, and I voraciously consumed any information I could about my beloved console and its ever-growing library of games. There was a seminal moment of my childhood that charted a course for me and my future as a gamer: the first time I was exposed to Enix’s Dragon Quest, or as we knew it in the States back in the day, Dragon Warrior.

Before I knew it, my single-minded love for Mega Man, Castlevania, Mario, and other classics expanded. I was officially hooked on Japanese role-playing games. RPGs were nothing new by the time Dragon Quest launched -- folks had been playing them on kitchen tables, on mainframe computers, and with home-bound PCs for some time -- but playing them on a home console? It was novel.

Instead of blazing through Super Mario World for the upteenth time, I’d throw a new JRPG in my SNES or PlayStation and spend scores of hours exploring, discovering, and battling. I’d get whisked away to magical worlds full of riveting characters. Final Fantasy VI. Wild ARMs. Tales of Destiny. These were just some of the touchstones in my gaming adolescence, games that, in my mind, still haven’t been bested. Sure, a noticeable amount of garbage came along with the classics (Saga Frontier, anyone?), but it seemed like every few weeks at most, there was something new worth playing, something notable, something enjoyable. This isn’t necessarily nostalgia talking. Go look at those release schedules. Bask in their glory.

Then, something tragic happened. If the golden era of JRPGs was the ‘90s -- and, in my estimation, it absolutely was -- then the turn of the century gave way to a genre increasingly unrecognizable by classic standards. Quality began to drop, as once-fresh ideas became tired and store shelves became clogged with JRPG rehashes. Dragon Quest popularized JRPGs with hardcore console gamers in the west, and the likes of Chrono Trigger proved the power of the genre, while Final Fantasy VII brought it all mainstream. And then, it all came crashing back to Earth mere years later, as so many increasingly popular things do.

But there’s good news. I don’t know about you, but I’m seeing glimmers of hope that might just allow us to finally break free from the rushed, poorly-made, unimaginative JRPGs that have been drowning the genre in sub-mediocrity for quite some time.

And then there’s the future, a future heavily occupied by smaller, independent studios that are doing their best to give JRPG fans what they want, even if the big guys in the industry won’t. Ironically, many of these tiny devs aren’t even Japanese, but are so clearly inspired by what made Japanese development so great decades ago. A great example of this is Cosmic Star Heroine, a 16-bit-like JRPG made by only two men. It’s basically a cross between Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger. It’s what Phantasy Star V could have been. It’s what SEGA could have done if it didn’t insist on making its beloved JRPG series into an MMO. (Sound familiar?) Pier Solar and the Great Architect is another great example of an old-school-inspired JRPG that’s already launched. Rainbow Skies, the sequel to Rainbow Moon, also looks mighty promising.

But of course, the biggest example of the JRPG genre’s imminent comeback is none other than Persona 5. If it’s not clearly obvious, I’ll come right out and say it: Persona 5 is a huge deal. The way this particular series lit-up JRPGs not only back in 2008 with Persona 4, but on Vita with the Golden iteration, is a sign of things to come. Persona is on the brink of being a true global phenomenon in gaming, and it may just begin with Persona 5, which will hopefully launch later this year.

And it’s all happening in the nick of time, too, for a new generation to sit cross-legged on the carpeted floor of their bedrooms, pouring over maps and lore, just like I did as a kid. There’s no guarantee those glory days will ever return, of course, but there’s something in the air that indicates that we could very well be at a turning point. A much-needed, long-awaited turning point, fueled by people and companies who get what the starving JRPG audience really wants.

SOURCE

• Final Fantasy Type 0 HD
  • Bravely Second
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Tales of Zestiria (though I don't hear good things about this one)
  • Bloodborne
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Persona 5
  • Etrian Odyssey V

I see it. We're never going to return to the Golden Age of JRPGs, ever again, and that is sad, yes. But I think it is fine, because we are sacrificing that quantity for some serious quality- three of the best games this year all have the potential to be JRPGs (assuming they go right). If games like Final Fantasy XV, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bloodborne, and Persona 5 are indeed as good as they are all promising they will be? I think we are all in for a serious treat, a nice revival of one of the most unique genres in gaming.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Edo-Tensei_
Member since 2015 • 173 Posts

Please let it be so.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

This thread also brings into question what a JRPG is. Since Bloodborne and the Souls games are as western as it gets when it comes to game design. From my observation, if JRPG simply means it's a Japanese game and an RPG. Then they never really lost popularity in the first place. But if by JRPG you mean the classic FF6/Chrono Trigger style games, then Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona and Bravely Default are pretty much the only modern JRPGs that are popular.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Nope, for one Japanese developers aren't even posed for a come back. JRPGs became a niche genre that lost its mainstream luster with too many cliche games and by the book story lines. Most of the people heavily into JRPGs back then were in the early age of American anime and Toonami. That generation isn't here anymore.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Edo-Tensei_

I personally think Japanese devs want a healthy future for jrpgs but are extremely cautious finantially about it. If more Japanese were as ballsy as From Soft and the Persona team that release the games they want to make and flipping off everyone who doesn't like it it would be ideal for a strong jrpg comeback. But that'll never happen now when everything is about profit. Square especially are just a bunch of sissies that want people to "understand" and "be exited." They would rather sell fans merchandise and clothing than fucking games (mind you I'm mostly refering to consoles here, not that they're doing that much better on handhelds). Japanese companies are extremely conservative now. They don't understand taking risks and making awesome games put them on the map on the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blackbond said:

Nope, for one Japanese developers aren't even posed for a come back. JRPGs became a niche genre that lost its mainstream luster with too many cliche games and by the book story lines. Most of the people heavily into JRPGs back then were in the early age of American anime and Toonami. That generation isn't here anymore.

Fiveof the top ten most anticipated games this year across most sites have been Japanese, and you say Japanese developers aren't primed for a comeback? lol

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

@charizard1605:

And I guarantee none of them achieve top selling status. You aren't ever going to find a JRPG that pushes Final Fantasy VII numbers ever again. That's the sad truth.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

If Bravely Second is like the first game, but without an awful second half, without dumb characters ( a SE game or JRPG without bad characters, wishful thinking I know...), all while expanding upon the first games mechanics, then that would be awesome.

Xenoblade Chronicles X I'm mostly excited for. While the first Xenoblade was not as amazing as everyone made it out to be IMO, I still largely enjoyed it.

FFXV I don't really know how to feel. I didn't hate either FFXII or XIII, both were still mediocre and disappointing games for me. This plus FFXV's ridiculous development time makes it hard for me to really be excited for the game.

Cosmic Star Heroine has me intrigued. Hopefully that game turns out alright.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blackbond said:

@charizard1605:

And I guarantee none of them achieve top selling status. You aren't ever going to find a JRPG that pushes Final Fantasy VII numbers ever again. That's the sad truth.

I'm talking about Japanese games. Not just JRPGs. Persona or Xenoblade may sadly hit only a million or so worldwide, but if you think Metal Gear or Zelda won't hit 'mainstream status,' I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Looking over the upcoming JRPGs, including Japanese imports, I don't think JRPGs are making a comeback. Rather, they look set to have a good couple of years after several unremarkable ones. It's a nice upturn, but I doubt it will become a trend.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Edo-Tensei_

@faizanhd said:

This thread also brings into question what a JRPG is. Since Bloodborne and the Souls games are as western as it gets when it comes to game design. From my observation, if JRPG simply means it's a Japanese game and an RPG. Then they never really lost popularity in the first place. But if by JRPG you mean the classic FF6/Chrono Trigger style games, then Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona and Bravely Default are pretty much the only modern JRPGs that are popular.

People are put off by Weboo crap, and it can be understandable when you look at the wacky sometimes disturbing shit that comes from JRPGs. Most JRPGs closely follow anime when concerned with art-style and presentation. Too bad anime these days are crap compared to stuff from the 90's and early 2000's . We used to see some wierd shit come out from japan before, but now that is multiplied in the context of JRPGs at least. Plus most consoles JRPGs are not as ambitious as they were in the past, except for a select few dev teams. But this is fine by me just as Charizard said because I still get to enjoy "some" high quality stuff here and there.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Edo-Tensei_

@Blackbond said:

True enough. Very good point. Anime is not as popular as it once was. These games are heavily influenced by anime. And itt's also true most of them follow predictable, cliche shit, which I happen to love.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Zelda is an example of a good Japanese game that transcends cultural boundaries and achieves universal appeal for all the good reasons. These JRPGs are usually the lowest possible form of Japanese culture (if you take films--not anime--and music into consideration) and they usually remain niche, again, for all the right reasons.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

I do not see JRPGs making a comeback.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Nope. Don't think so. I remember the PS1/2 days where there was some random JRPG coming out every day.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I still love jrpgs. I wish more were like the old days though. I seen Hyperdemnia Neptunia on steam today, and it's revamped and supposed to be better. But FFX, FF7, legend of legaia are some of my all time favorites. I hope some of them return

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Edo-Tensei_

@charizard1605 said:

@Blackbond said:

@charizard1605:

I'm talking about Japanese games. Not just JRPGs. Persona or Xenoblade may sadly hit only a million or so worldwide, but if you think Metal Gear or Zelda won't hit 'mainstream status,' I wouldn't know what to tell you.

He has a point though. Many Japanese franchises have lost popularity because as he says they are predictable (and highly conservative as well, just look at Dynasty Warriors, same shit all the fucking time) and that creates stagnation. MGS5 Phantom Pain is one of the most hyped games this year and you can see more western influence than ever before to stay relevant. Capcom tries to do the same with RE I'm sure. Capcom and Konami gave out their ips to western devs last gen to try and stir things up.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Edo-Tensei_

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Zelda is an example of a good Japanese game that transcends cultural boundaries and achieves universal appeal for all the good reasons. These JRPGs are usually the lowest possible form of Japanese culture (if you take films--not anime--and music into consideration) and they usually remain niche, again, for all the right reasons.

That also applies to the Soul games. They have a level of fantasy and presntation that is approachable and appealing by people from all different cultural backgrounds, because they appear more "classical" when we observe the fantasy themes in the Souls games.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I wouldn't know about them come back, but I sure do have some on the horizon that I'm following very closely:

• Persona 5
  • Bravely Second
  • Trails in the Sky SC (fucking finally)
  • Ys 6 on PC (if rumours are true)
  • Ys 8
  • Xenoblade X

Cosmic Star Heroine is also something I've been interested in, I think it was the dudes who made Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII? Technically not JRPG, but yeah, whatever.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Would be nice! I miss the PS1/PS2 era of good JRPGs!

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

ugh an article written by the tool known as colin moriarty. I hate when people use the term the golden ages or good ol days. Makes them sound like old cranky people wanting their youth back. End of the day I still enjoy jrpgs. Some past and some present.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

In the next year or so (maybe longer), I will have played Final Fantasy Type 0, FFXV, Bloodborne (JRPG?), Bravely Second, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and HOPEFULLY Kingdom Hearts 3. So I will personally be very happy with the JRPG genre.

Also, Square seems to pulling their heads out of their asses lately, so hopefully the Mana series gets revived. But as long as the Chrono series lays dormant, I will have a gaping hole in my heart. Trigger and Cross are the closest things to perfection I've ever played. They need to revive this series.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@charizard1605: Lol at Colin moriarty. Doesn't even mention Xenoblade Chronicle X.

..... Lol Jrpg's.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Just like anime, there are many things that gave JRPGs a bad name over the years (I'm looking at you Nippon Ichi Software and your branches).

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

If you mean by a comeback that jrpgs will be a mainstream games like they used to be in 80s and 90s then no but I can see that this gen being better for jrpgs than the last one since I guess Japanese devs are getting used to make HD games and how easy are the current systems to develop games for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would say "no" But I would argue that this might be the year where we see JRPGs reinvent themselves, to become something that is popular.

But at that point I would likely begin to argue that they are NOT JRPGs anymore, but something different entirely. But that is fine too no? The Problem with JRPGs have been how stagnent they have become outside of a few outlyers (Ironically I consider 3 of those JRPGs you listed, that did away with much of the worn trappings of the JRPGs of old).

If that is the case? then I will be more then happy. All I need is for them not to drop the ball on this one, they better reinvent the genre at this point, instead of repeating past mistakes.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Whatever... WRPGs/cRPGs are back bitch.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014-the-first-year-of-the-crpg-renaissance/

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 TheGreatGeneral
Member since 2014 • 717 Posts

Lets hope so.

I was actually suprised how much support the PS4 got from the japanese developers at the last TGS.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Lost Odyssey 2 for X1 would do it for me.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Well, Bloodborne isn't a JRPG.

Has for teh rest, it seems it boils down to ATLUS and Final Fantsy/Kingdom Hearts, with Xenoblade getting luky in there.

Wouldn't call it a comeback since those have always been there.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Considering how horrible JRPG's were last gen, it wouldn't take that much to make a comeback.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

Cosmic Star Heroine is the one I'm looking forward to the most by far.

An old school, turn based JRPG that takes it's inspiration from Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, Suikoden and Blade Runner?

Yeah, I'll take that.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Lost Odyssey 2 for X1 would do it for me.

I would love that,

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@edo-tensei_ said:

@Blackbond said:

True enough. Very good point. Anime is not as popular as it once was. These games are heavily influenced by anime. And itt's also true most of them follow predictable, cliche shit, which I happen to love.

Its also because you used to have no WRPG's on consoles. I bet if you look at the correlation between games like KOTOR, Elderscrolls, etc hitting consoles vs the decline of JRPG's on consoles its pretty high.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#36 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It went down because Japanese developers didn't know how to keep up and innovate. Worse, the biggest JRPG companies were really good at fucking up. Really damn good.

Now a lot of JRPG-esque games might not even be developed by Japanese developers. But at least the genre is alive. I wish handhelds got the type of JRPG support they did last generation since the genre never excited me too much on consoles.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

JPRGs just needed to modernize a bit. Move away from cliche stories, go to more fluid combat systems (Final Fantasy 13 had a great combat system), and make their worlds feel less constricted. I'm not saying open world, I'm just saying a bit more realized and exploreable.

Turn based combat systems do not need to die. An emphasis on character stats, roll-based combat, and character roles is still a viable gameplay mechanics, it just needs to be a bit accessible and not mundane. A lot of work can be done to prevent people from screwing up their character builds early on in the game which only makes the difficulty increase throughout. Respecing and a good explanation of each role is vital.

Not ever RPG needs to be action based. I think a strong, strategically focused turn based approach can still be a lot of fun today. I just needs to play out in such a way that you feel like you're progressing throughout, that combat never becomes routine, and that the actual art of combat is fluid and not annoying (no 30 minute long combat animations).

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@Wasdie said:

JPRGs just needed to modernize a bit. Move away from cliche stories, go to more fluid combat systems (Final Fantasy 13 had a great combat system), and make their worlds feel less constricted. I'm not saying open world, I'm just saying a bit more realized and exploreable.

Turn based combat systems do not need to die. An emphasis on character stats, roll-based combat, and character roles is still a viable gameplay mechanics, it just needs to be a bit accessible and not mundane. A lot of work can be done to prevent people from screwing up their character builds early on in the game which only makes the difficulty increase throughout. Respecing and a good explanation of each role is vital.

Not ever RPG needs to be action based. I think a strong, strategically focused turn based approach can still be a lot of fun today. I just needs to play out in such a way that you feel like you're progressing throughout, that combat never becomes routine, and that the actual art of combat is fluid and not annoying (no 30 minute long combat animations).

1. JRPGs are modernizing, at least the ones hitting mainstream success are. Those that dont modernize tend to end up rather niche.

2. The problem with JRPGs is not the lack of accessability. The problem with JRPGs is that they are waaay too simple. Combat usually doesnt involve much more than spamming the best attack skill and heal when hurt. WRPGs tend to have a lot more depth in combat. Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if the depth was one of the reasons Pokemon is still so successful. Respeccing treats the symptom of the problem, but not the problem itself. I find myself strongly disliking the respeccing system in a lot of RPGs, as it completely trivializes each character, and removes identity.

3. "that combat never becomes routine" This is caused by the usually piss poor encounter design these jRPGs have. Furhtermore, like you implied, any progression these games have is almost always nothing more than bigger numbers. Compare this to cRPGs and which gives you access to a lot more toys and options in combat.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Maroxad: All good points.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

No, probably not. I will enjoy this recent string of quality JRPGs though. Bloodborne, FF: Type-0 HD, Etrian Odyssey V, etc though.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@charizard1605: No one wants to play metrosexual turn based strategy games anymore.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@faizanhd said:

This is not an argument that can be had unless the person saying otherwise than the follwing is very very stupid.

The reason that Wrpgs and Jrpgs were separated has nothing to do with region.

Thus those saying it's based on region are stupid. They are stupid because in order for them to make their argument they literally have to ignore the whole reason of both terms existance, thus it's pointless arguing, The souls games are Wrpgs with Wrpg influences as much as the Kings Field games were. They are not Jrpg. Just like there are U.S. companies who have made Jrpgs. Shadow madness being one example.

Period.

As for Jrpgs to come back they would have had to have a come to, Jrpgs were never actually popular and highly adopted outside of Square games, and that was the same situation before the mid 90's. People need to get that through their head, games like tales do not sell well in the West, Games liek BOF do not sell well in the west, Games like Persona do not sell well in the west. At most they do passable and that's it. There was never a golden era of Jrpgs. it was all one company and sometimes exception were made through partnerships with that one company. Occasionally there will be one semi-hit exception that is never replicated (Tales of Symphonia being a prime example) and that's that. Things go back to normal.

For example let's look at the games list in the OP:

• Final Fantasy Type 0 HD
  • Bravely Second
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Tales of Zestiria (though I don't hear good things about this one)
  • Bloodborne
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Persona 5
  • Etrian Odyssey V

Final Fantasy will probably sell well, bravely did decent but not that big of a seller even medium way, Finalfantasy XV will sell.

Persona 5 will continue it's trend of not being anything but Niche.

Tales will continue it's trend of not being anything but niche.

Etrian Odyssey will probably be "passable" but t will most likely be niche.

Blood Borne is a Wrpg. Medium sales at most if it manages to do so although that's debatable.

Xenoblade is a slow selling niche game. May do slightly better , slightly over double max since the Wii U will be starved. Still will not be beyond hardcore niche.

Does comeback just mean number? Because that's not how it actually works. but it seems that's how people are taking it to mean, and I have no idea why, Especially this only ever really happens frequently with Jrpgs, people were saying the same thing 2 years ago.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@Wasdie: or an example of how Jrpgs can evolve turn based just look at 1994 Rpgs on PC''s and computers like Krondor, or games like older Fall Outs etc. Everyone stuck on a modified and outdated Ultima and Wizardry engine that both (mostly Ultima) abandoned long ago. The reasons for the limits that Jrpgs, a lot of them anyway, still use, were there for a reason around ove r2 decades ago. Now uh..

Oh and @blue_hazy_basic Jrpgs were never really up outside Square, and Square was falling before FFX. When FFX came out, Wrpgs to consoles soon followed after, and yeah you are right, outside Square (for only a couple years more after FFX came out) Jrpgs in general were declining.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Why would you speak of "comeback" and then make a list of upcoming JRPGs with TWO Final Fantasies in it?

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Unless shitty VN games die out then probably not.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@CountBleck12 said:

Unless shitty VN games die out then probably not.

VN =/= JRPG

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Final Fantasy 13 had a great combat system

No it didn't. The nicest thing anyway can say is that it looked pretty, otherwise it was about as much a battle system as hitting special features on a DVD.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It's only a comeback if it's like the PS1 and PS2 era, otherwise, f*** no!!!

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

please no. JRPGs are the worst genre in gaming today. I'd rather see the money and resources go into better genres.