Are first person shooters essentailly a console genre now?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

Its basically hybrid now. Its not dominated by consoles or PC. Dominant is for like RTS on PC or JRPGs on handhelds.

yeah, but difference is those handheld jrpgs are lame. Because

A: **** handhelds

B: **** jrpgs

I can kinda get with you on point B, but ignore this year's best system at your own peril.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Spunkgargleweewee is.

Ripsaw1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 Ripsaw1994
Member since 2013 • 196 Posts

Pc Shooters > Console Shooters so id say no

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

No.

#1. Currently the competitive FPS scene is nearly exclusive on PC. That scene is a joke on consoles, and practically dead.

#2. The currently 3 most played FPS on the planet are best on PC. Most if not all shooters are best on PC. (Ghosts, BF4, and soon TitanFall are all factually superior on PC)

#3. PC currently has exponentially superior FPS controls.

That says ALOT. Especially #1.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@DarthBilf said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

Its basically hybrid now. Its not dominated by consoles or PC. Dominant is for like RTS on PC or JRPGs on handhelds.

I can kinda get with you on point B, but ignore this year's best system at your own peril.

I don't know where I said I ignored the PC?

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

duke nukem 3d is still on pc

so pc>consoles

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#57 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Joke question?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

Haha, so much bitter :P

I guess its appropriate that I like both though (JRPGS is getting to be less though due to constant bullshit stories)

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

It is still ludicrous to play fps on consoles, no k/m, small fov, aim assist, acceleration crap, 30fps.

No wonder why COD's are the most popular fps on consoles, it have just one ingredient(60fps) of the 5 ingredient of success.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Heck no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

They're a console genre in that their mechanics are now dumbed down exclusively in an effort to make them fully functional on a dual analog controller.

Even if they function "better" on a PC, they're still just watered down garbage because they have to work on a console controller in order to maximize profits. The popularization of the genre on consoles has taken a large toll on the quality of the genre as a whole.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I remember playing the old school Doom's on the 32X. I've played shooters and every genre on a Console/handheld for as long as I can remember. I think the only real shooter I enjoyed that wasn't on Consoles was UT2k4.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#63 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@MK-Professor said:

It is still ludicrous to play fps on consoles, no k/m, small fov, aim assist, acceleration crap, 30fps.

No wonder why COD's are the most popular fps on consoles, it have just one ingredient(60fps) of the 5 ingredient of success.

as ludicrous as playing Street Fighter on PC right? But hermits will swear that it doesn't get in their way.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts
@AdrianWerner said:

@jhcho2 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends. Many years ago, the idea of playing first person shooters on consoles, it was scoffed at. The very concept was ludicrous. Then Halo can Call of Duty came along. Sales skyrocketed well beyond what the pc was achieving and well beyond what the pc had ever achieved.

While the genre arguably originated from the pc. In this day and age, with the popularity and sales that have continued for well over a decade, is it safe to outright say the FPS genre is now primarily the domain of consoles?

While it's true they exist on pc, JRPG's and fighting games like Street Fighter also exist on the pc. Most people (myself primarily a pc gamer representative included) consider these titles primarily the domain of console gaming.

Looking at the facts, can the same be said about the first person shooter?

Face the facts. Almost all genres are predominantly on consoles now. The only ones which couldn't quite make the transition are RTS and Sim games (Simcity, Tycoon, Civilization etc.)

Adventure games, MMOs, simulators and puzzle games are still predominantly PC genres. Heck, currently 2D platformers are much more of a pc genre than console one.

Better reserve judgement on MMOs for the time being. MMOs have paywalls and log in screens, which were not the norm for consoles. I see that changing in the future. Black Flag on consoles already has that stupid U-play log in screen. I don't see it taking much for MMOs being brought to consoles.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts
  1. Left 4 Dead 2
  2. Team Fortress 2
  3. Counter Strike: GO
  4. Counter Strike
  5. G-Mod
  6. and Day-Z (I believe you can still go first person in this game)

Are on Steam's Top 10 right now.

So to answer your question. No.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@MK-Professor said:

as ludicrous as playing Street Fighter on PC right? But hermits will swear that it doesn't get in their way.

naivete controller support for PC say hi...

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

Better reserve judgement on MMOs for the time being. MMOs have paywalls and log in screens, which were not the norm for consoles. I see that changing in the future. Black Flag on consoles already has that stupid U-play log in screen. I don't see it taking much for MMOs being brought to consoles.

Nah. Consoles still have little memory (they're decent now, but in couple years? nah) and controls that aren't suited for MMOs. Not to mention consoles are concentrated in few countries, while MMOs are more of a global thing. Another problem is that you have short time to launch truly successful console MMO, in couple first years tops, in later years it becomes much harder to make money off i.

I can see MMOs becoming more popular on consoles, but PCs have better chances of dominating fighters than consoles have of doing the same to MMOs.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

I could see how you could say that cod is a console game but to say that the fps genre is for consoles well you went to far with that one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#69 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@MK-Professor said:

The only difference between playing a fighting game on PC vs. playing on a console is how you start up the game.

Microsoft's XBOX controllers are compatible with Microsoft's Windows Operating System. Imagine that.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@walloftruth said:

@way2funny said:

@walloftruth said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

F.P.S. are now mostly a multiplatform. Console exclusives are in every type of game. You just used Halo as an example. In order to buy a PS4 or Xbox One, you have to buy their F.P.S. franchise. Call of Duty is multiplatform as are most of the 3rd party F.P.S. F.P.S. is popular ,so you see exclusives.

Well yes, they are. However the bulk of the sales, are vastly (vastly) in favor of consoles with consoles being the primary platform for development. Even during the last few years when titles such as Battlefield 3 used the pc as lead, this was more or less in preparation for next generation console hardware.

As I said before my freind, fighting games are on pc. JRPG's but most would consider these console genres. Why not FPS? The 90's are long past.

Fighting games and JRPGs were born on consoles and they have the most games from that genre, that's why they're "console genres". FPS games were born on PC and PC has the most FPS games overall, so they're more a PC genre than console genre.

Pretty sure fighting games were born in the arcades.

Pretty sure arcades are consoles, they're definitely not PCs.

They aren't either. They are arcade.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#71  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19545 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

A: The 3DS handheld has arguably been the best console this year.

B: The RPG genre has been mostly dominated by JRPG's this year.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

lowest common denominator has ruined what used to be an amazing genre.

totally ruined? No, but it hurts when I say Quake and hear "oh like call of duty"

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Bad FPS with terrible controls are certainly a console genre now. Fortunately, the PC still gets lots of good ones every year.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#75 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

So your argument is that the popularity of a genre on multiple platforms (consoles) is greater than that of the genre on one platform and thus the genre is now "primarily the domain of console gaming."

Your threads are so stupid.

Halo came out years ago so mentioning that then talking about how sales skyrocketed past what FPS sales on the PC were doing (even if it were accurate) is not "now", it's past. Way past. So you're contradicting your own context.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#76 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@-Unreal- said:

So your argument is that the popularity of a genre on multiple platforms (consoles) is greater than that of the genre on one platform and thus the genre is now "primarily the domain of console gaming."

Don't forget lead platform. Consoles are lead platform, not pc's. Thumbsticks, xbox360 controller comes first e.t.c...

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

No.

#1. Currently the competitive FPS scene is nearly exclusive on PC. That scene is a joke on consoles, and practically dead.

#2. The currently 3 most played FPS on the planet are best on PC. Most if not all shooters are best on PC. (Ghosts, BF4, and soon TitanFall are all factually superior on PC)

#3. PC currently has exponentially superior FPS controls.

That says ALOT. Especially #1.

1. the only competition is getting you to bathe.

2. you are also the smelliest on the planet

3. you have exponentially smelly pits

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#79 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

A: Arguably is a qualifier to point out that this is a point that can be argued pretty extensively, and yes I would argue the 3DS? wasn't really the best platform in 2013.

B: That's fantastic, there were a bunch more jrpgs this year. That doesn't necessarily mean they were all good, enjoyable, entertaining to me now does it? exactly.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#80 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19545 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Jag85 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

A: Arguably is a qualifier to point out that this is a point that can be argued pretty extensively, and yes I would argue the 3DS? wasn't really the best platform in 2013.

B: That's fantastic, there were a bunch more jrpgs this year. That doesn't necessarily mean they were all good, enjoyable, entertaining to me now does it? exactly.

A: I know you already said PC, which is why I said "best console". The 3DS had more high-quality exclusives this year than the home consoles.

B: The point is that the best RPG's this year have been JRPG's, but as the saying usually goes, "your mileage may vary."

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#81  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

FPS on consoles are still scoffed at...