Are first person shooters essentailly a console genre now?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (9020 posts) -

My friends. Many years ago, the idea of playing first person shooters on consoles, it was scoffed at. The very concept was ludicrous. Then Halo can Call of Duty came along. Sales skyrocketed well beyond what the pc was achieving and well beyond what the pc had ever achieved.

While the genre arguably originated from the pc. In this day and age, with the popularity and sales that have continued for well over a decade, is it safe to outright say the FPS genre is now primarily the domain of consoles?

While it's true they exist on pc, JRPG's and fighting games like Street Fighter also exist on the pc. Most people (myself primarily a pc gamer representative included) consider these titles primarily the domain of console gaming.

Looking at the facts, can the same be said about the first person shooter?

#2 Posted by lostrib (37804 posts) -

No

#3 Edited by roulettethedog (10980 posts) -

F.P.S. are now mostly a multiplatform. Console exclusives are in every type of game. You just used Halo as an example. In order to buy a PS4 or Xbox One, you have to buy their F.P.S. franchise. Call of Duty is multiplatform as are most of the 3rd party F.P.S. F.P.S. is popular ,so you see exclusives.

#4 Edited by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

Is the proper usage of commas a lost art?

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (9020 posts) -

@roulettethedog said:

F.P.S. are now mostly a multiplatform. Console exclusives are in every type of game. You just used Halo as an example. In order to buy a PS4 or Xbox One, you have to buy their F.P.S. franchise. Call of Duty is multiplatform as are most of the 3rd party F.P.S. F.P.S. is popular ,so you see exclusives.

Well yes, they are. However the bulk of the sales, are vastly (vastly) in favor of consoles with consoles being the primary platform for development. Even during the last few years when titles such as Battlefield 3 used the pc as lead, this was more or less in preparation for next generation console hardware.

As I said before my freind, fighting games are on pc. JRPG's but most would consider these console genres. Why not FPS? The 90's are long past.

#6 Posted by longtonguecat (2498 posts) -

Nope not at all. Still better and more at home on PC.

#7 Edited by farrell2k (6392 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

If you are referring to the TC, his/her use of commas is perfect.

#8 Edited by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near jRPG or fighting games situation.

That said, I do think FPS as a genre belongs a bit more on consoles these days, not so much when it comes to actual games, but as far as public perception goes. I get that impression because whenever a true PC FPS comes around it's always seen as admirable break from console-centric norm.

#9 Edited by jhcho2 (4427 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends. Many years ago, the idea of playing first person shooters on consoles, it was scoffed at. The very concept was ludicrous. Then Halo can Call of Duty came along. Sales skyrocketed well beyond what the pc was achieving and well beyond what the pc had ever achieved.

While the genre arguably originated from the pc. In this day and age, with the popularity and sales that have continued for well over a decade, is it safe to outright say the FPS genre is now primarily the domain of consoles?

While it's true they exist on pc, JRPG's and fighting games like Street Fighter also exist on the pc. Most people (myself primarily a pc gamer representative included) consider these titles primarily the domain of console gaming.

Face the facts. Almost all genres are predominantly on consoles now. The only ones which couldn't quite make the transition are RTS and Sim games (Simcity, Tycoon, Civilization etc.)

#10 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Face the facts. Almost all genres are predominantly on consoles now. The only ones which couldn't quite make the transition are RTS and Sim games (Simcity, Tycoon, Civilization etc.)

Adventure games, MMOs, simulators and puzzle games are still predominantly PC genres. Heck, currently 2D platformers are much more of a pc genre than console one.

#11 Posted by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

Yeah I'd say FPS is primarily a console genre now, even though I always play them on PC. For example the two big new IPs for next year (Destiny+Titanfall) are very clearly marketed at consoles.

#12 Edited by WallofTruth (1761 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

Well yes, they are. However the bulk of the sales, are vastly (vastly) in favor of consoles with consoles being the primary platform for development. Even during the last few years when titles such as Battlefield 3 used the pc as lead, this was more or less in preparation for next generation console hardware.

As I said before my freind, fighting games are on pc. JRPG's but most would consider these console genres. Why not FPS? The 90's are long past.

Fighting games and JRPGs were born on consoles and they have the most games from that genre, that's why they're "console genres". FPS games were born on PC and PC has the most FPS games overall, so they're more a PC genre than console genre.

#13 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

Fighting games and JRPGs were born on consoles and they have the most games from that genre, that's why they're "console genres". FPS games were born on PC and PC has the most FPS games overall, so they're more a PC genre than console genre.

Pretty sure fighting games were born in the arcades.

#14 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4377 posts) -

FPS genre was created on PCs so it will likely always be a PC genre. Though nowadays consoles are essentially dumbed down PCs rather than dumbed down arcade systems like they used to be.

#15 Edited by uninspiredcup (9020 posts) -

Pc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yie_Ar_Kung-Fu

#16 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16597 posts) -

FPS have been mostly console focused since 2007.

#17 Posted by WallofTruth (1761 posts) -

@way2funny said:

@walloftruth said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

Pretty sure arcades are consoles, they're definitely not PCs.

#18 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

lol no

#19 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@PannicAtack said:

Not in the thread title it isn't.

#20 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@way2funny said:

@walloftruth said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

Why in the hell would arcades be consoles? They're not PCs, but they're also definitely not consoles.

#21 Posted by uninspiredcup (9020 posts) -

I agree my friend, platformers are more less a pc genre now thanks to the rise of indie gaming.

Funny how things work.

#22 Edited by WallofTruth (1761 posts) -

@AdrianWerner said:

@walloftruth said:

@way2funny said:

@walloftruth said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

Why in the hell would arcades be consoles? They're not PCs, but they're also definitely not consoles.

They're closer to being consoles than being PC's and back then when home consoles where a new thing they'd be advertised as "arcade gaming at home".

#23 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16703 posts) -

No, if I had the choice I would prefer to play FPS like Halo, Killzone and Resistance on PC.

Unfortunately I don't, but most FPS are multiplat now so I can get them on PC.

@uninspiredcup said:

I agree my friend, platformers are more less a pc genre now thanks to the rise of indie gaming.

Funny how things work.

Same thing with platformers: I still have to buy consoles for Ratchet and Clank, Mario and Donkey Kong...

#24 Posted by FLOPPAGE_50 (770 posts) -

Mainstream is more like it.

FPS are mainstream.

#25 Posted by EZs (1362 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@farrell2k said:

@PannicAtack said:

How so?

#26 Edited by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Japanese RPG's were actually born on home computers, before migrating to consoles and leaving computers behind. After making a worldwide name for themselves on consoles, most Japanese RPG's have now moved away from consoles and migrated to handhelds.

As for fighting games, that was born in the arcades, but have now mostly migrated to consoles, so it's seen as a console genre now.

#27 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@AdrianWerner said:

@walloftruth said:

@way2funny said:

@walloftruth said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

They're closer to being consoles than being PC's and back then when home consoles where a new thing they'd be advertised as "arcade gaming at home".

It wasn't just consoles advertised as "arcade gaming at home", but many home computers also advertised themselves in such a way. In fact, computers like the Commodore Amiga and Sharp X68000 were even modelled after 68K-based arcade architecture and had large libraries of arcade ports. "Arcade perfect" ports were like the holy grail of gaming back in those days.

The way I see it, arcades were like the PC's of their era. Much like how PC's today are known for being upgradable and a lot more advanced than consoles, arcade machines were known for being upgradable and a lot more advanced than home machines. And ever since PC's overtook the arcades in technical superiority after 2000-ish, most arcade machines since then have adopted x86-based PC architecture.

#28 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6565 posts) -

Hmm, no. Seeing as how many FPS games don't really Work all too well on consoles, I would say that they are not.

FPS games atm often suffer from a case of identity crisis unless they belong on a single platform. We get Consoles WHO has so bad technical issues tha tit is an insult to everyone if you claim that they "Work as intended" not to mention the controller certainly ain't as high and mighty as some claim (likely they never tryied anything else).

On the PC side, they often do not suffer, but really simple keylayout, and a slower pace has marred it on there aswell, the precission action of FPS in the past, or technical prowess behind it based on flexibility to the player has suffered.

All in all that is nearly all multiplat 3rd party FPS game, PC exclusive and console exclusives tend to atleast be able to Work out most of those problems.

As for gamers? apart from the typical CoD, Halo, Kz and then not much more, I don't see alot of console gamers spend too much time with FPS games (purely by the feel here, given that I do not know the Worlds population and gaming habits, only those around where I live).

#29 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

@EZs said:

@PannicAtack said:

@farrell2k said:

@PannicAtack said:

How so?

Initially the TC was "Are first person shooters, essentially a console genre now?" Completely pointless comma that serves no purpose other than clutter, because "Are first person shooters essentially a console genre now?" is a perfectly functional sentence on his own.

#30 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

They're certainly more popular on consoles, but nowhere near the point of considering it a "console genre"

FPS on pc still sell very well, get plenty of playtime, and perform better

#31 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

A quick look at Steam stats and BF 4 stats shows 550k people playing fps on pc right now. Of course this doesn't count all the non Steam f2p fps games.

#32 Posted by stuff238 (741 posts) -

Seeing as FPS games suck with Keyboard/mouse, I would say FPS have been the best on consoles since Goldeneye007.

#33 Edited by lundy86_4 (43571 posts) -

No.

#34 Posted by millerlight89 (18570 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

BF3 was actually not developed for PC as lead. The consoles were. PC started as lead, but they quickly saw they should not do that

#35 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

Its basically hybrid now. Its not dominated by consoles or PC. Dominant is for like RTS on PC or JRPGs on handhelds.

#36 Edited by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

BF3 was actually not developed for PC as lead. The consoles were. PC started as lead, but they quickly saw they should not do that

Wrong. It was the lead development platform for most of its dev time, and only switched once it was basically done. As you can clearly see by the fact that the PC verison runs, looks, and PLAYS VASTLY differently. Entire maps have been designed with the PC's 64 player cap in mind. On console, even with the smaller versions of those maps, it still feels empty.

#37 Edited by millerlight89 (18570 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

@millerlight89 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@roulettethedog said:

Wroing. It was the lead development platform for most of its dev time, an donly switched onece it was basically done. As you cna clearly see by the fact that the PC verison runs, looks, and PLAYS VASTLY differently. Entire maps have been designed wiht the PC's 64 player cap in mind. On console, even with the smaller versions of those maps, it still feels empty.

It was switched half way through development. This has been confirmed by the developers. So I'm, in fact, not wrong. Mid-development is not basically done.

#38 Posted by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

The PC remains the lead platform for the genre. It's where you get to play it as it was meant to be played, not by twiddling your humbs like a moron. IT's where the gameplay is fast and demands accurate, precise, purposeful movement. Not stuttery, innacurate, tank-like BS like on consoles.

It's also where the genre has by far the most breadth in terms of titles and types. From arena shooters, to action games to survival, to massive online battles. It's all there. Consoles only get a tiny sliver of what the PC offers.

#39 Posted by VanDammFan (4285 posts) -

every game consolites play..hermits play because every popular game "nearly" is multiplat..so if im playing fps, you are too..enjoy

#40 Posted by Couth_ (10182 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

Yeah I'd say FPS is primarily a console genre now, even though I always play them on PC. For example the two big new IPs for next year (Destiny+Titanfall) are very clearly marketed at consoles.

Destiny isn't even announced for PC, may never go there. Even Battlefield has taken a shift towards consoles and is a lot more enjoyable on console IMO..

#41 Edited by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Destiny isn't even announced for PC, may never go there. Even Battlefield has taken a shift towards consoles and is a lot more enjoyable on console IMO..

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!

I see you haven't recovered from that head injury you received when your mamma dropped you down the garbage chute.

#42 Edited by millerlight89 (18570 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

@Couth_ said:

@Sushiglutton said:

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!

I see you haven't recovered from that head injury you received when your mamma dropped you down the garbage chute.

I find BF4 funner on PS4. The pacing works better to me. The ttk is BF4 is just too fast for the accuracy of a mouse. I loved BF3 on PC, but hate 4 on it. No reason to get upset if someone find it that way.

#43 Edited by Couth_ (10182 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

@Couth_ said:

@Sushiglutton said:

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!

lol stay mad kid. There's no twitch in battlefield. It plays great on a controller.

#44 Edited by Cobra_nVidia (1607 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Sim games...?

You're knowledge of game genres is lacking.

Anyways, they can gladly have Crysis since we stole Saint's Row and Mass Effect!

#45 Edited by cfisher2833 (1711 posts) -

Halo was a shit franchise that reached a new level of idiocy--I mean, really? The fucking pistol has a scope, yet the assault rifle has an ammo counter INSTEAD of a scope? The levels were shitty too--bunch of repeated areas filled with lame ass generic as fuck neon purple/goo green aliens. And perfectly symmetrical FPS multiplayer levels are SOOOO interesting.

and stfu, everyone knows FPSs are better on PC if for no other reason than simply the controls. You don't see pro-counterstrike players using 360 pads for a reason.

#46 Edited by VanDammFan (4285 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

Halo was a shit franchise that reached a new level of idiocy--I mean, really? The fucking pistol has a scope, yet the assault rifle has an ammo counter INSTEAD of a scope? The levels were shitty too--bunch of repeated areas filled with lame ass generic as fuck neon purple/goo green aliens. And perfectly symmetrical FPS multiplayer levels are SOOOO interesting.

and stfu, everyone knows FPSs are better on PC if for no other reason than simply the controls. You don't see pro-counterstrike players using 360 pads for a reason.

sorry..you are an idiot..

#47 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3621 posts) -

Best on consoles.

#48 Edited by jg4xchamp (48419 posts) -

@ActicEdge said:

Its basically hybrid now. Its not dominated by consoles or PC. Dominant is for like RTS on PC or JRPGs on handhelds.

yeah, but difference is those handheld jrpgs are lame. Because

A: Fuck handhelds
B: Fuck jrpgs

#49 Posted by Heil68 (45267 posts) -

Nope

#50 Posted by cfisher2833 (1711 posts) -

@VanDammFan said:

@cfisher2833 said:

sorry..you are an idiot..

That's what I expect from a Halo fan. No class or taste. Then again, what can you expect from a community that touts Goldeneye as the pinnacle of the FPS? lol