Apparently, Killzone 2's controls are unintuitive and sluggish...

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slyprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Slyprince
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

Beautiful graphics and fairly decent multiplayer level design mean nothing in an FPS which during our hands-on took up to a week to respond to control inputs and masked the action with a layer of post-processed vaseline at every opportunity. Sluggish, terrible to control, and seemingly on a steadfast mission to confuse the player.Gamesradar

Guerilla better tighten up those controls if they wanna succeed. I actually thought the multiplayer is greater than decent though.

And can someone explain to me the "layer of post-processed vaseline" comment. Does it mean scripted?

Link

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
I dont see why people are hyping this game out the wazoo, i mean it does look great, but i have a feeling that in time we could start to see more bad previews as the game comes closer to its february release date
Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts

Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:Cedmln

If you had ever played the first one you'd understand this completely. :|

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 primateface
Member since 2008 • 1095 Posts

Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:Cedmln

lol this game is fail...no deathmatch? LOL

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Mind telling me why exactly this preview is in the 360 section?

LoZoned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LoZoned
Member since 2008 • 46 Posts
looking good is one thing, **** control is another. they better get the controls right.
primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 primateface

nervmeister

mind telling me why this games ripping off unreal 2 xmp online play and has no standard deathmatch?

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
Danm, they better improve those controls if they are as bad as they say, funny though, I thought the majority of previews had mostly good things to say about KZ2.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cedmln

I love the responses to these things. One preview gives credit to the game and people cheer and then one preview bashes every aspect of whatever and all the haters get excited and predict the doom of the game.

How strange.

Slyprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Slyprince
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
Soo... Does anyone know what post-processed vaseline means?
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
the game doesnt come out for another 7 months and already ppl think this preview is the final game :(sad day for system wars
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nervmeister
[QUOTE="nervmeister"]

primateface

mind telling me why this games ripping off unreal 2 xmp online play and has no standard deathmatch?

Mind telling why you wouldn't consider standard deathmatch on a PS3 shooter also a rip-off?
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
Soo... Does anyone know what post-processed vaseline means?Slyprince
I think it has something to do with the visual filters the game use to make it look the way it does. Just guessing.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cedmln

Soo... Does anyone know what post-processed vaseline means?Slyprince

I assume its the motion blur effect that they are bashing, which is primarily what makes the game look as good as it does, which they give no real credit to.

I'm taking this preview with a mouthful of salt.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 primateface
[QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="nervmeister"]

nervmeister

Mind telling why you wouldn't consider standard deathmatch on a PS3 shooter also a rip-off?

no....but ripping off the auto turrets unreal 2 xmp had which ripped them off from aliens 1986 movie is a big rip off another rip off lol.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nervmeister
[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="nervmeister"]

primateface

no....but ripping off the auto turrets unreal 2 xmp had which ripped them off from aliens 1986 movie is a big rip off another rip off lol.

Then I guess Team Fortress 2 and the original Perfect Dark (N64) have to answer for this as well.
D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:Nedemis

If you had ever played the first one you'd understand that it was quite easy to control and that you are lying completely :| I'm so tired of all these people faking that they have played the original, or even exaggerating its problems when they have played it.

Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
[QUOTE="Nedemis"]

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:D3monchicken

If you had ever played the first one you'd understand that it was quite easy to control and that you are lying completely :| I'm so tired of all these people faking that they have played the original, or even exaggerating its problems when they have played it.

Okay...you know better then me in regards to whether or not I played the first one. :roll: If you seriously believe that the first one controled fine then you obviously need to play a FPS title with great controls. The first one had sluggish controls and denying it won't make it untrue. Face the facts and that's simply that the first Killzone looked great (considering the hardware) but played like crap thanks to the crummy controls.
primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 primateface
[QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="nervmeister"]

nervmeister

Then I guess Team Fortress 2 and the original Perfect Dark (N64) have to answer for this as well.

yea rip offs

killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts

[QUOTE="Slyprince"]Soo... Does anyone know what post-processed vaseline means?Cedmln

I assume its the motion blur effect that they are bashing, which is primarily what makes the game look as good as it does, which they give no real credit to.

I'm taking this preview with a mouthful of salt.

Would you have said that if it was positive? probably not...
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ONLYDOD
I though the controls in Killzone 1 were fine, maybe you were holding the controller upside down?
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

All it means is tchbo. Sony keeps force feeding Guerilla Games money instead of locking up exclusives. Oh well, they'll get what they deserve. A flop and inferior multiplats.SSCyborg

meanwhile MS is doing the same thing buying usless exclusive downloadble dlc for hundreds of millions of dollars when that could have gone to so many more new games and franchises exclusives

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
I have a hard time believing this preview when there are so many others out there that seem to completely contradict it.
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

Should be all good for release.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WillieBeamish
Member since 2008 • 1289 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamesradar"]Beautiful graphics and fairly decent multiplayer level design mean nothing in an FPS which during our hands-on took up to a week to respond to control inputs and masked the action with a layer of post-processed vaseline at every opportunity. Sluggish, terrible to control, and seemingly on a steadfast mission to confuse the player.Slyprince

Guerilla better tighten up those controls if they wanna succeed. I actually thought the multiplayer is greater than decent though.

And can someone explain to me the "layer of post-processed vaseline" comment. Does it mean scripted?

Link

layer of post-processed vaseline refers to the blur. The same way that taking off-screen videocam footage of a game makes the game look better than it really is, they are using a post-processing effect to blur the graphics to mask the fact that the textures are very low res for a next-gen game. Nothing wrong with this effect unless you just got done playing a game with high-res texture then switch to playing KZ2. Then you'll notice it and it will annoy you.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 primateface
killzone2 uses motion blur to hide its bad graphics and make it appear great.
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:primateface

The game definitely does have deathmatch and team deadthmatch.

And i can't take this preview seriously, not when there has been a lot of other previews and none of them mentioned any problem with the controls. If they really were even half that bad, all previews would mention it.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 primateface
[QUOTE="primateface"]

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:Tykain

And i can't take this preview seriously, not when there has been a lot of other previews and none of them mentioned any problem with the controls. If they really were even half that bad, all previews would mention it.

they said it's class based...that's not free for all vanilla deathmatch.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]All it means is tchbo. Sony keeps force feeding Guerilla Games money instead of locking up exclusives. Oh well, they'll get what they deserve. A flop and inferior multiplats.VendettaRed07

meanwhile MS is doing the same thing buying usless exclusive downloadble dlc for hundreds of millions of dollars when that could have gone to so many more new games and franchises exclusives

What useless exclusive downloadable content?

D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts
[QUOTE="D3monchicken"][QUOTE="Nedemis"]

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:Nedemis

Okay...you know better then me in regards to whether or not I played the first one. :roll: If you seriously believe that the first one controled fine then you obviously need to play a FPS title with great controls. The first one had sluggish controls and denying it won't make it untrue. Face the facts and that's simply that the first Killzone looked great (considering the hardware) but played like crap thanks to the crummy controls.

What what what? I need to play a FPS title with great controls???? Like what? I've played Stalker, Crysis, Doom 3, Red Faction 1-2, Halo1-3, a billion ww2 games and a billion other first person shooters ranging from daikatana to chaser (JoWood **** me up with that ending.) to half life 1-2... I'm not claiming that Killzone had the best controls ever, but since I am not a complete moron, I found it extremely easy to use the controls that were set.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts
[QUOTE="primateface"]

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]Does anyone else see the exageration in that preview? :lol:Tykain

Previews are nearly always positive because the media outlet creating the preview wants to continue to get access to news for that title.

When I first started reading reviews and previews, I didn't understand how a magazine could praise a game unconditionally during a preview, and then give it a 50% a month or two later and claim it's not worth playing.

It's all just part of the media game.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nervmeister

I have yet to understand why this KZ2 preview is in the 360 section of GamesRadar.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 primateface

im old school all i care about is deathmatch

no free for all deathmatch=no buy well since i dont even own a ps3 yet=no buy lol

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
meh...dont really trust Games radar, but at the same time im not really all that excited for Killzone 2. I'm still playing some great games on my PS3, and when Socom, Little Big Planet, and Resistance 2 come out KZ2 will be but an afterthough. Not sure why cows want to hype the game up so bad, just as sad as the lemmings who try to bring it down. No matter i guess
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ONLYDOD

no free for all deathmatch=no buy well since i dont even own a ps3 yet=no buy lol

primateface

But you can't jump in the game, won't that ruin it completely? (You were the guy that complained about not being able to jump in the game right?)

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 primateface
[QUOTE="primateface"]

ONLYDOD

But you can't jump in the game, won't that ruin it completely? (You were the guy that complained about not being able to jump in the game right?)

well no jumping ruined perfect dark zero, no jumping/shooting in midair is also crap...but not as bad as no jumping period.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ONLYDOD
[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"][QUOTE="primateface"]

primateface

well no jumping ruined perfect dark zero, no jumping/shooting in midair is also crap...but not as bad as no jumping period.

I'll take your word for it, being the midair shooting expert you are.

Avatar image for _Peoples_Champ_
_Peoples_Champ_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _Peoples_Champ_
Member since 2002 • 4695 Posts

HAHA.

johnnyboy5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 johnnyboy5000
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts
[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"][QUOTE="primateface"]

primateface

but they already annonced that there will be jumping it the game :|

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts
[QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="ONLYDOD"][QUOTE="primateface"]

johnnyboy5000

but they already annonced that there will be jumping it the game :|

I think he's referring to shooting in the middle of a jump. I don't believe that's in game. Nor do I see why it's a big loss.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
If that were true, how could it be? What would be the reason for a first-party FPS to not have tight up-to-standard controls?
primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 primateface
[QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="ONLYDOD"][QUOTE="primateface"]

ONLYDOD

Well on quake 2...i jump down from elevator platform on the edge map and shoot people while im falling with railgun.

so yea..no midair shooting sucks

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"][QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="ONLYDOD"][QUOTE="primateface"]

primateface

Well on quake 2...i jump down from elevator platform on the edge map and shoot people while im falling with railgun.

It doesn't have to be exactly like other FPSs. Not shooting while jumping can change the pace and sty/e of the gameplay, offering a different experience. That kind of thing can be good in its own way.

AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts

All it means is tchbo. Sony keeps force feeding Guerilla Games money instead of locking up exclusives. Oh well, they'll get what they deserve. A flop and inferior multiplats.SSCyborg

at least they have resistance 2 which will be an awesome game.

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

-GhostMLD-'s friend? :roll:

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 primateface
[QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="ONLYDOD"][QUOTE="primateface"][QUOTE="ONLYDOD"][QUOTE="primateface"]

Mordred19

It doesn't have to be exactly like other FPSs. Not shooting while jumping can change the pace and sty/e of the gameplay, offering a different experience. That kind of thing can be good in its own way.

Nope it gives the person a unfair advantage on the ground because they can shoot at you falling and you cant shoot at them while falling.