And Gamespot's 2008 GOTY Nominations are...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#151 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
After going through all that voting, it is obvious that it is nothing but a popularity contest. There are a handful of categories where the games deserve to win it that are winning, but for the most part, either the right games are missing, or the most popular game has the most votes and the least popular game has the least votes.
asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#152 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"]We knew this Months ago, Its basically GTAIV vs MGS4.Leejjohno

Well... during voting a bunch of fanboys seem to think it has the "best technical graphics" over Crysis Warhead. Best PS3 game maybe but damn...

I hope GS doesn't take these votes into account when making decisions.

They don't. Gamespot has already picked their winners and will dole them out gradually next week. These votes are just for the readers' choice awards.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts
I wanted to vote for MGS4 but I accidentally clicked on Left 4 Dead :( Doesn't look like it matters though.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#154 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

Looks like a sweep for MGS4. Now we have MGS for the iphone and MGS for LBP. The year of MGS4.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#155 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
that is by far the worst GOTY list ive seen. WTF is Braid doing there, its a **** downloadable game. It looks really random. Can anybody really disagree with the 5 GOTY nominees that Spike had? Fallout 3, GTA4, MGS4, LBP and Gears 2signore
Braid is a very deep complexing game. It's totally deserves to be there. Get No More Heroes out of there, but I have no idea why Super Smash Brother Brawl failed to make the list. Overall, i'm going with my gut, MGS4.
krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts
Why is L4D on there? And weres Gears 2? If they had the balls to put Resistance 2 on there, at least put Gears 2 on the list as well.... And putting Braid on the list is a joke. If a 4 hour, sidescrolling, 2D puzzle game wins over Fallout 3 and MGS4, something is wrong
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
I think Gears 2 should have been on the list definitely. But it wouldn't have won anyways. GTA4 or MGS4 are the logical candidates.
mhsdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158 mhsdrake
Member since 2007 • 3091 Posts
LBP got snubbed in these awards.
TehReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 TehReaper
Member since 2006 • 758 Posts
what game could possibly be better then braid?
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 TREAL_Since
LBP got snubbed in these awards.mhsdrake
Wait... I just realized that. No LBP :(. That makes is fair I suppose. The PS3 had a fantastic year for consoles.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 TREAL_Since
After going through all that voting, it is obvious that it is nothing but a popularity contest. There are a handful of categories where the games deserve to win it that are winning, but for the most part, either the right games are missing, or the most popular game has the most votes and the least popular game has the least votes.foxhound_fox
What about the Editor's Choice? I'm intrigued to find out the winner.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 foxhound_fox
What about the Editor's Choice? I'm intrigued to find out the winner.TREAL_Since

They are most likely going to give the awards to the games that bring them the most publicity, whether in agreeance with the majority, or something to cause controversy. Given GS's history and tradition, I bet it will be controversy.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 TREAL_Since
[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]What about the Editor's Choice? I'm intrigued to find out the winner.foxhound_fox

They are most likely going to give the awards to the games that bring them the most publicity, whether in agreeance with the majority, or something to cause controversy. Given GS's history and tradition, I bet it will be controversy.

Yeah, but Gears of War GOTY in 2006 and SMG GOTY in 2007 were not controversal. What you say makes sense though. What game do you think deserves it?
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]What about the Editor's Choice? I'm intrigued to find out the winner.foxhound_fox

I'm pretty sure it will be one of these two also.... unless they give GOTY to a pet cat :|

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 foxhound_fox
Yeah, but Gears of War GOTY in 2006 and SMG GOTY in 2007 were not controversal. What you say makes sense though. What game do you think deserves it?TREAL_Since

SMG was pretty controversial given all the other sites handing it out to shooters and everyone expecting Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4 to take it... the really popular titles.

From what I've heard about the game (which is very little since I've been avoiding spoilers like mad), and based on my past experiences with the series, Metal Gear Solid 4 most likely deserves it the most. It sounds like it has sent of the series in the best way possible, closing the most doors and finally giving the closure to everyone who wanted it. The "magnum opus" if you will. From the games I've played this year, it is Mirror's Edge, the most refreshing and innovative experience I've had in a long time.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 TREAL_Since

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]What about the Editor's Choice? I'm intrigued to find out the winner.FragTycoon

I'm pretty sure it will be one of these two also.... unless they give GOTY to a pet cat :|

I think it will be in "agreeance with the majority" that decides it. But in a way that makes sense. Gears of War was easily the best game in 2006 on next gen consoles judged which was judged by the "majority" of gaming critics. And SMG was the best game in 2007 when judged by the majority. So... in agreeance with the majority isn't necessarily a bad thing.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 TREAL_Since
[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]Yeah, but Gears of War GOTY in 2006 and SMG GOTY in 2007 were not controversal. What you say makes sense though. What game do you think deserves it?foxhound_fox

SMG was pretty controversial given all the other sites handing it out to shooters and everyone expecting Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4 to take it... the really popular titles.

From what I've heard about the game (which is very little since I've been avoiding spoilers like mad), and based on my past experiences with the series, Metal Gear Solid 4 most likely deserves it the most. It sounds like it has sent of the series in the best way possible, closing the most doors and finally giving the closure to everyone who wanted it. The "magnum opus" if you will. From the games I've played this year, it is Mirror's Edge, the most refreshing and innovative experience I've had in a long time.

Good thing SMG was the RIGHT choice :). I believe MGS4 will get it this year. It's such an amazing game. Not perfect, but compared to other offerings it's ahead of the curb in many ways.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
MGS4 all the way baby! :D no lbp :cry:
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 TREAL_Since
[QUOTE="Giancar"]MGS4 all the way baby! :D no lbp :cry:

Yes... sad time for LBP :(. But it was only fair since there is no Gears 2!
lancedgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 lancedgt
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts
i cant believe is 10 noms and no lbp or gears...?! i mean if they were just 5 then thats more understandable.. but 10...
spencer_119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 spencer_119
Member since 2004 • 1027 Posts
wheres gears 2
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
That list should be re-done.
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#173 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Everyone knows MGS4 deserves to win. And it will.
micky4889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 micky4889
Member since 2006 • 2668 Posts
I hope Metal Gear Solid 4 wins its the best game iv played this gen :)
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#175 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
Everyone knows MGS4 deserves to win. And it will.metalgear-solid
I disagree, for everything that I loved about MGS4, there was something that I hated. The game needed more MGS gameplay.
VirtuaCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 VirtuaCast
Member since 2008 • 840 Posts
The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 ahmedkandil
Member since 2004 • 2328 Posts
i dont think gears2 should be on there. its too similar to gears of war 1 which already won GOTY last year.
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

my vote goes to fallout 3

I do think its a pretty dodgy list though. Little big planet scored well and, although not my cup of tea, I apprechiate games that are a bit different.

Gears 2 was good, but not unique enough to make the list. Although it is the only game that I remember choking me up emotionally....ever.

Going by the reviews I have read, left for dead should not be up there. NHL 09?...I guess they needed a sports game on the list?

obamanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 obamanian
Member since 2008 • 3351 Posts

Where is Fable 2, Gears 2, LBP ????

It is not even 1st April

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
that is by far the worst GOTY list ive seen. WTF is Braid doing there, its a **** downloadable game. It looks really random. Can anybody really disagree with the 5 GOTY nominees that Spike had? Fallout 3, GTA4, MGS4, LBP and Gears 2signore
Nope that list is fine, how do burnout paradise, no more heroes and the world ends with you deserve to be on a list gears 2 and LBP are not on :?...
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#181 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

Even though its outrageous that LBP, Gears 2 and SSBB aren't there i'm just happy NMH is.

GO SUDA! :D

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#182 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="MarloStanfield"]:lol: lemmings pwnt Burnout Paradise, Fallout 3, MGS4, TWEWY and L4D are my picks dudes

you sy lemming pwnt, then you mention left4dead and fallout 3, fallout 3 runs better on the 360 and left4dead ain't even out on the ps3, i assume you are talking from a PC point of view. but yes you are right from a certain point of view, it makes absolutely no sense for them to leave out gears 2 , i'm not going to vote cos of that.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
it's a terrible terrible list
beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

Gunna vote for fallout 3 that game is immense

no gears 2 :o

why is burnout on there the newest one is rubbish

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

People are surprised that Gears of War 2 isn't there? I was hoping it wouldn't be. MGS4. Sooooo good. ;o

Edit: It's not even in best graphic, artistic or technical.

:lol:

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Some of those are questionable. Therefore the list sucks.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 delta3074
i think some one from gamespot needs to explain and justify why gears 2 isn't in any category, this is just unacceptable, you can't just leave a game like that out, especially when it scored higher than left4dead, and not give a reasonable explanation. so GAMESPOT why isn't one of the most anticipated and high scoring games of this year not up for anything, when it should be a contender for GOTY
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#188 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Odd, but I'm glad they put Resistance 2 in. Voted for MGS4, it'll win.
inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 inertk
i think some one from gamespot needs to explain and justify why gears 2 isn't in any category, this is just unacceptable, you can't just leave a game like that out, especially when it scored higher than left4dead, and not give a reasonable explanation. so GAMESPOT why isn't one of the most anticipated and high scoring games of this year not up for anything, when it should be a contender for GOTYdelta3074
Because for the categories that it was suitable for , there were games better suited for the nomination? :lol: Why should it be up for GotY?
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 delta3074
[QUOTE="delta3074"]i think some one from gamespot needs to explain and justify why gears 2 isn't in any category, this is just unacceptable, you can't just leave a game like that out, especially when it scored higher than left4dead, and not give a reasonable explanation. so GAMESPOT why isn't one of the most anticipated and high scoring games of this year not up for anything, when it should be a contender for GOTYinertk
Because for the categories that it was suitable for , there were games better suited for the nomination? :lol: Why should it be up for GotY?

so your telling me that gears 2 was not suitable for any category, and i bet quite a few people on here would vote for gears 2 being the GOTY.
Nisim19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Nisim19
Member since 2008 • 1002 Posts
WTF NO LBP ?! not gears 2 or SSBB ?! and games like L4D and NHL are in that list?! WTF gs you lost all your crediblity
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts
Does it matter what other games are nominated? It should be pretty obvious a game scoring 10 is going to win. With that said, my GOTY is Lost Odyssey.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#193 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I don't get how Sins, Gears 2 and LBP get ignored but Left 4 Dead, the only AA game on the list, becomes nominated. As well as other games. Tis odd...
inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 inertk
[QUOTE="inertk"][QUOTE="delta3074"]i think some one from gamespot needs to explain and justify why gears 2 isn't in any category, this is just unacceptable, you can't just leave a game like that out, especially when it scored higher than left4dead, and not give a reasonable explanation. so GAMESPOT why isn't one of the most anticipated and high scoring games of this year not up for anything, when it should be a contender for GOTYdelta3074

so your telling me that gears 2 was not suitable for any category, and i bet quite a few people on here would vote for gears 2 being the GOTY.

Best Competitive multiplayer, hell no. Broken mess. Best co-operative? That could work because lagless horde was a blast. Everything else, no I don't think it should be put up there for much else. Especially not Game of the Year.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
NHL 09 to win GOTY! :|
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#196 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Isn't it obvious it should all be between MGS4 and GTA4 - the two games which were scored the highest?
DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 DennisHopperz
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts
GO METAL GEAR SOLID 4 Old Snake deserves a GOTY
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#198 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts
[QUOTE="EuroMafia"]NHL 09 to win GOTY! :|

That would put Gamespot on the map.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The lack of Super Smash Brothers Brawl and inclusion of No More Heroes seems to be spot-on to me.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
No LBP? No SSBB? No Gears 2? LFD? NHL09? WTH? Unexpected good choices: Braid, Resistance and TWEWY. Still, the list sucks.