An excellent point regarding Shenmue 3

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Since the very moment, the single second I saw them on stage and had the courage and emotional strength to say "this is seedy" Many people have claimed " they needed to gauge player interest to fund it!", as an argument as to why, a kickstarter, for a clearly wanted game, on a funded platform that has made millions for nostalgia themed games required it in the first place when Sony, a billionaire company had them on stage at e3, the most watched games event in the world.

Being very educated and reading up on the subject, the video game website "gamesrader" raises a very good point in an excellent article criticizing the nature of the project.

http://www.gamesradar.com/sony-now-admitting-partnering-shenmue-3-kickstarter-leaves-bad-taste-my-mouth/

More infuriating is the fact that there was an obvious, easy, inoffensive way to handle all of this. By limiting donation tiers to a single, flat, $50 rate, Shenmue 3’s Kickstarter could have been turned into an elaborate pre-order system, the same level of player commitment shown without anyone being extravagantly out of pocket, and the backer rewards becoming an extra special pre-order bonus, with added goodwill.

Sony says that it needed a Kickstarter to prove that people are serious about Shenmue 3. Fine. For the sake of argument, I’ll buy that. But this is Shenmue 3. It was always going to be funded, whether endorsed by a platform holder or promoted by a single, kanji tweet from Suzuki. Once word got around, it would have been over-funded in a day regardless. And at a lower cost of entry, even more might have bought in, especially if all parties had been open about what was going on.

Capping it, could have gauged players interest. Instead, it seems Sony (a billion dollar company) are getting a massive chunk of funding from what is, a website used to promote people with 0 or very little assets., as well as the IP being specifically attached to them.

Personally, if you opt to fund this, and many of you have, knock yourself out. For me personally, it seems morally dubious and most likely, a sign of things to come.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Shady, not shady

Whatever

I'm getting a new Shenmue game.

And with Sony taking feedback from the fans about what past franchises they would like to see resurrected, there's the possibility that I could see another Freedom Fighters, Panzer Dragoon, or Dragon Force.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope... All you're doing right now is spreading misinformation and hurting this kickstarter even further like the rest of the uninformed internet already has...

Shame on you... Somebody delete this bullshit before more damage is done...

Loading Video...

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I honestly don't know why you felt the need to start a whole new thread for this instead of just commenting on the thread that already exists and discusses all the issues and points you raise.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The conspiracy theories have already been debunked by the following video:

Loading Video...

Sony is not funding Shenmue's development, but only willing to market the game at most. Just because they might be willing to publish the game, that doesn't mean they're willing to fund the development.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

I don't know why Sony doesn't just lower in the deus ex machina now and cough up for the rest of the project. The interest is clearly there, so they may as well officially let us all in on the joke, refund the backers and give everyone a happy ending.

Leave it too long and cows are going to end up feeling really bitter about Sony's big treat for E3 2015.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

"Sony says that it needed a Kickstarter to prove that people are serious about Shenmue 3. Fine. For the sake of argument, I’ll buy that. But this is Shenmue 3. It was always going to be funded, whether endorsed by a platform holder or promoted by a single, kanji tweet from Suzuki. Once word got around, it would have been over-funded in a day regardless. And at a lower cost of entry, even more might have bought in, especially if all parties had been open about what was going on."

very true

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

"But this is Shenmue 3. It was always going to be funded, whether endorsed by a platform holder or promoted by a single, kanji tweet from Suzuki. Once word got around, it would have been over-funded in a day regardless. And at a lower cost of entry, even more might have bought in, especially if all parties had been open about what was going on."

That's impossible to prove. Last game came out 14 years ago, it would be easier to say that most have moved on by now.

There was a VOCAL group of people wanting Shenmue 3, but it was very difficult to see of that was a large group or a small minority. Most of the funding is coming from individuals donating thousands of dollars. This project would not have been funded if everyone could only donate $50 at a time.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter  Online
Member since 2011 • 11795 Posts

Sega should release Shenmue 1 and 2 for PC as another way to gauge interest and funding for Shenmue 3

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

Sega should release Shenmue 1 and 2 for PC as another way to gauge interest and funding for Shenmue 3

Exactly. Capcom re-released Resident Evil HD for various platforms and it sold 1+ million, encouraging them to bring over Resident Evil 0, as well as future remasters.

The article indicates, strongly, it was quite obviose the game was wanted and would make a massive ton of cash, which is factually correct, it was obviose.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I hope S3 is fuckingawesome, but this whole situation was major clusterfuck. The fact that there's still 1extra publisher who's identity is unkown just shows some shaddy, and badly commmunicated elements of this campaign.

@NoodleFighter said:

SEGA ain't smart enough for that

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lawlessx

@JangoWuzHere said:

'But this is Shenmue 3. It was always going to be funded, whether endorsed by a platform holder or promoted by a single, kanji tweet from Suzuki. Once word got around, it would have been over-funded in a day regardless. And at a lower cost of entry, even more might have bought in, especially if all parties had been open about what was going on."

That's impossible to prove. Last game came out 14 years ago, it would be easier to say that most have moved on by now.

There was a VOCAL group of people wanting Shenmue 3, but it was very difficult to see of that was a large group or a small minority.

isn't that what was said? i think his point was that it was going to be an succesful kickstarter with sony's involvement

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jag85

@nyadc said:

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope... All you're doing right now is spreading misinformation and hurting this kickstarter even further like the rest of the uninformed internet already has...

Shame on you... Somebody delete this bullshit before more damage is done...

Loading Video...

Oh wait, you already posted it...

Still, everyone needs to watch this video, because there's way too many bullshit rumours spreading about Shenmue...

Sony is not funding the development, but only the marketing.

And Sega has no involvement with Shenmue III, but since they own the rights to Shenmue I & II, HD re-release of those games won't be possible without Sega's permission.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#14 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Personnally it sounded very bad that Sony had to bring the guy from Shenmue to beg for money for his game ... just a sign that Sony didn't have that much to show at E3, that and Square saying "yeah we will make FFVII remake"

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

Sony is pure scum, stealing Xbox's games, go get your own.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@hello505 said:

lol isn't that pc.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#17 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@hello505 said:

lol isn't that pc.

lmao

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

If I were using Kickstarter to gauge my interest in this game I would be very disappointed. It currently has 43,758 backers, and those people are your hardcore OMg Shemmue is awesome I want people. It has raised 3,507,394 basic math says that a donation of 80.15 per backer and you know all those people didn't do that. If it would of been a fancy pants way to preorder at $60 per game it would be at 2,625,480. That isn't enough people to make a at least bare minimums 20 million dollar game when in reality it's production should be 3x that much.

Good luck to all u fans but I wouldn't make this game or back it, it will never make up its production cost.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Jag85: @nyadc: Summary?

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Batt1eRatt1e
Member since 2014 • 131 Posts

http://youtu.be/Idw_IQx2L0g

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter doubters, go watch this! Stop reading click bait articles. Sony has sent several tweets now confirming they will not touch KS money, period!!! So stop reading garbage lie filled articles, stop spreading these lies. Sony has a limited involvement with Shenmue 3. They have already said this project is relying on KS funds primarily. The creator Yu Suzuki has said all the same. Stop spreading the click bait non researched journalism who should be ashamed of themselves for not fact checking their shit.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NyaDC

@lostrib said:

Sony allowed him to present the game, they are helping with the marketing and they're going to handle the PS4 port, they're not funding the development of the game. People are perpetuating that they are all over social media, gaming sites and news outlets and it's horribly damaging the momentum of the Kickstarter. People see this crap posted and this "Oh Sony is funding it, this was just an interest test, I guess I don't need to donate anything" is happening as a result, the media, people spreading misinformation like this stupid OP and websites are killing this games potential and funding because they're idiots, that's the only way to put it...

This thread should be deleted, not locked, deleted. I'm so incredibly pissed off by all of this right now, been waiting 14 fucking years and it's being shit on and shoved to the side because people don't bother to research anything they say...

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReadingRainbow4

YuYu Hakusho shouldn't have set the min make goal to something as low as 2 mil.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NyaDC
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

He should have put it at 5 million, and he should have also given other incentives between the $500 and $10,000 mark.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@nyadc said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

He should have put it at 5 million, and he should have also given other incentives between the $500 and $10,000 mark.

This we can agree on.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

Whoever created this thread needs to be ashamed..... I mean like never show your ugly face here type of ashamed.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@nyadc said:
@lostrib said:

Sony allowed him to present the game, they are helping with the marketing and they're going to handle the PS4 port, they're not funding the development of the game. People are perpetuating that they are all over social media, gaming sites and news outlets and it's horribly damaging the momentum of the Kickstarter. People see this crap posted and this "Oh Sony is funding it, this was just an interest test, I guess I don't need to donate anything" is happening as a result, the media, people spreading misinformation like this stupid OP and websites are killing this games potential and funding because they're idiots, that's the only way to put it...

This thread should be deleted, not locked, deleted. I'm so incredibly pissed off by all of this right now, been waiting 14 fucking years and it's being shit on and shoved to the side because people don't bother to research anything they say...

Don't know why your're getting pissed

You're lucky that a sequel is even coming at all.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NyaDC
@JangoWuzHere said:
@nyadc said:
@lostrib said:

Don't know why your're getting pissed

You're lucky that a sequel is even coming at all.

You don't know why I'm pissed? These people are damaging the kickstarter for the funding of the game, the more it gets funded the more can be created and done with it...

Get a clue...

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

I hate people on the internet

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Oh damn. I was about to kick out a good chunk of change, but I had no idea that Sony was being so shady.

Thanks for the pertinent info OP (my friend), I will not be supporting this scandal.

As a matter of fact I'm going to tell everyone I know about this fraudulent practice. Anything I can do to ensure this Kickstarter doesn't see another dime.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NyaDC
@ConanTheStoner said:

Oh damn. I was about to kick out a good chunk of change, but I had no idea that Sony was being so shady.

Thanks for the pertinent info OP (my friend), I will not be supporting this scandal.

As a matter of fact I'm going to tell everyone I know about this fraudulent practice. Anything I can do to ensure this Kickstarter doesn't see another dime.

Read the rest of the thread, jesus christ this is exactly what I am talking about....

MODS DELETE THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib

@nyadc said:
@lostrib said:

If that's the truth, then they need to get info out and spread everywhere ASAP for both transparency (which people love) and funding. Yeah people just heard that sony is helping fund it, so they just assume it's taken care of

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

It's not like somebody put a gun to anyone's head and forced them to fund it.

Why the hell does anyone have a problem with people supporting something they want to see made?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ReadingRainbow4

@ConanTheStoner said:

lmao, oh lawd.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

@nyadc said:

Read the rest of the thread, jesus christ this is exactly what I am talking about....

MODS DELETE THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY

if you seriously have a concern, then use the contact the mods link in the sidebar. It allows you to send a message to the entire mod team

yelling "mods delete this" repeatedly, hoping they see it probably wont help a lot

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Sadly I think the damage may have already been done.. The KS is at 3.5 mill and is increasing exceedingly slowly. I seriously doubt it's going to get to 10 million at this point.. Even 5 mill is pushing it. Looks like Shenmue 3 will turn out to be a bare bones, semi open world experience at best. It will never reach it's full potential though. It would of actually been a good thing if Sony threw a couple of million at it.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Crossel777 said:

Sadly I think the damage may have already been done.. The KS is at 3.5 mill and is increasing exceedingly slowly. I seriously doubt it's going to get to 10 million at this point.. Even 5 mill is pushing it.

There's still ike 26 days left, idk some generous benefactors could show up.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

lol

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lawlessx

@Crossel777 said:

Sadly I think the damage may have already been done.. The KS is at 3.5 mill and is increasing exceedingly slowly. I seriously doubt it's going to get to 10 million at this point.. Even 5 mill is pushing it. Looks like Shenmue 3 will turn out to be a bare bones, semi open world experience at best. It will never reach it's full potential though. It would of actually been a good thing if Sony threw a couple of million at it.

that is pretty much how the first two games were. I would rather just get a decent storyline and ending.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Put down your torch for a few minutes and watch the first video in this thread. Then comment on said video. If not, mods should be allowed to lock this thread.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

The Kickstarter is proof of concept to entice investors to back the project. As long as the campaign is satisfactory, it'll be funded by the investors for as much as is needed to make the game. Just like Star Citizen was in the original campaign, the difference is that Chris Roberts never hid what the crowd funding was but he also never revealed who the potential backers were (although Crytech is almost a guarantee).

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Just go by these simple tips when regarding Shitmue.

It was dead before the Kickstarter. The Kickstarter has stalled. It will be dead after the Kickstarter and Sony just did another PR stunt.

If you go in with a closed mind you will have nothing to worry bout.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yea, Sony's abuse of kick starter with this game has been pretty disgusting

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@hello505 said:

Shenmue belongs to SEGA...not MS. Facts please.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Well if Sony alone funded the game it would never go to the PC. Would you want that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts
@hello505 said:

lol stupid fanboy

Have you ever heard of the Dreamcast? Shenmue was never an Xbox franchise. It only had one of the games and even so it did poorly on it. If MS wanted it, it would have funded it

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jag85

This is a pointless thread. There's already another Shenmue thread dealing with this same issue.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Jag85 said:

This is a pointless thread. There's already another Shenmue thread dealing with this same issue.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Being very educated ...

I almost stop reading here...but i'm kind of agree...why would they need to show at a Sony event to say..."we need you to make this game, oh and don't mind our partnership with Sony" i mean i'm glad this game is finally coming, but...i cannot stop thinking about all the games that didn't need to be at a big stage on E3 to be founded, and this is Shenmue 3 arguably the biggest sequel wanted for a game ever so of course it was going to be founded...and now Sony will be like...yeah we brought back Shenmue...

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Im not gonna fund it unless they give me a copy of the game, fack that, let Sony or someone else fund that shat.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NyaDC

@mesome713 said:

Im not gonna fund it unless they give me a copy of the game, fack that, let Sony fund that shat.

They do give you a copy of the game, holy shit the misinformation just never stops...