AMD Confirms Polaris 10 to replace Fury X

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

As a side note, "Vega" also has top to bottom SKU replacements.

Polaris 10 replacing Fury X mirrors NVIDIA's 1080 replacing 980 Ti/Titan X

Like Geforce GTX 1080, Polaris 10 would need very high clock speed to beat Fury X.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

I'm anxious to see some Polaris 10 benchmarks. They're targeting the mid range, mainstream market with Polaris, so the price to performance ratio should be pretty good.

Honestly though, I'm more interested in seeing the cost of thier upcoming Exascale Heterogeneous Processor APU's. They have up to 32x Zen cores, Greenland Vega 10 flagship GPU, and 32GB of HBM2 memory directly on a single die. The large HPC variations will be expensive, but the consumer versions may very well offer a price to performance ratio that Intel nor nVidia can come close to matching...

Also, they have a page up that details the features of their Polaris cards.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/radeon-polaris

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ronvalencia

@SuperClocks said:

I'm anxious to see some Polaris 10 benchmarks. They're targeting the mid range, mainstream market with Polaris, so the price to performance ratio should be pretty good.

Honestly though, I'm more interested in seeing the cost of thier upcoming Exascale Heterogeneous Processor APU's. They have up to 32x Zen cores, Greenland Vega 10 flagship GPU, and 32GB of HBM2 memory directly on a single die. The large HPC variations will be expensive, but the consumer versions may very well offer a price to performance ratio that Intel nor nVidia can come close to matching...

The majority of Polaris SKUs are targeting mid range/mainstream market, but there's a high end Polaris 10 SKU targeting R9-Fury series's segment.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

We need to see benchmark's

how's the 1070/1080 stack up on games and those GPU tests.

How are the prices compared to each other ETC. We need to find the value card the power card etc.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ronvalencia

@ProtossRushX said:

We need to see benchmark's

how's the 1070/1080 stack up on games and those GPU tests.

How are the prices compared to each other ETC. We need to find the value card the power card etc.

Both Pascal and GCN has the same register file storage and stream processor count ratio at per SM/CU level i.e. 4KB per Stream processor.

The optimization should be similar on both cards.

Most of Polaris's improvements was influenced by Gameworks.

Most of Pascal's improvements was influenced by dumb Xbox One ports.

The net result is ...

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

AMD will make a comeback with their master plan

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

And people claim in my thread that the ps4 neo with 36cu at 911mhz would not even be close to a 970gtx. lol

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

AMD officially called it a mainstream card some time after these slides were posted. That's the reason you didn't post a source and instead just posted images. Nice try though. You get a gold star!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tormentos

@techhog89:

Yet the only 2 benchmarks we have put it close to a fury so mainstream in nextgen = top of the line last gen.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Techhog89

@tormentos: No, they don't. They put it at the 390X at best. Even if they did, it would prove my point because a replacement for the Fury lone would have to be much faster than it, not just on par. For example, the 1080 is the replacement of the 980, not this 980 Ti or the Titan X even though it's faster than them by a good margin.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@SuperClocks said:

The majority of Polaris SKUs are targeting mid range/mainstream market, but there's a high end Polaris 10 SKU targeting R9-Fury series's segment.

Sorry to do this, but it was debunked just 3 hours ago..

"Polaris 10 sounds like a replacement to the Fury X but in fact, it is replacing the mainstream lineup."

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-10-polaris-11-launch-event/

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Techhog89

@SuperClocks said:
@ronvalencia said:
@SuperClocks said:

"Polaris 10 sounds like a replacement to the Fury X but in fact, it is replacing the mainstream lineup."

In before excuses on top of excuses.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ronvalencia

@SuperClocks said:
@ronvalencia said:
@SuperClocks said:

Topic name: AMD Confirms Polaris 10 to replace Fury X

Your source has the following road map... LOL.

Question: Has AMD Confirms Polaris 10 to replace Fury X?

Answer: Yes.

You haven't debunked anything.

Your wccftech source didn't mention Vega 11. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10145/amd-unveils-gpu-architecture-roadmap-after-polaris-comes-vega

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@tormentos:

Loading Video...

2:30 - 3:50

According to DF the 36 CU Polaris 10 at 800mhz has performance shy of the 290x, much less a Fury X/980 Ti. Assuming that the NEO runs at 911 on the PS4, it's looking to match a 380x or a 390x at best (he mentioned unideal test conditions)..so close to a GTX 970. If Digital Foundry is correct, your thread was hilariously off.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ronvalencia

@techhog89 said:

AMD officially called it a mainstream card some time after these slides were posted. That's the reason you didn't post a source and instead just posted images. Nice try though. You get a gold star!

If you read the source link, there's a road map that shows Polaris 10 replacing Fury Series LOL.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Techhog89
@ronvalencia said:
@SuperClocks said:
@ronvalencia said:
@SuperClocks said:

Question: Has AMD Confirm Polaris 10 to replace Fury X?

Your wccftech source didn't mention Vega 11. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10145/amd-unveils-gpu-architecture-roadmap-after-polaris-comes-vega

No, you're just misinterpreting the roadmap. All that it shows is what's releasing in what year. Of course, you're yet again reading what you want to read, which why you love posting vague images. I'm not going to bother arguing much this time though, since you'll be proven wrong in a couple of weeks anyway.

You'll probably come up with some BS way of proving that you're right anyway, though.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ronvalencia

@techhog89 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@SuperClocks said:

No, you're just misinterpreting the roadmap. All that it shows is what's releasing in what year. Of course, you're yet again reading what you want to read, which why you love posting vague images. I'm not going to bother arguing much this time though, since you'll be proven wrong in a couple of weeks anyway.

You'll probably come up with some BS way of proving that you're right anyway, though.

No, you're just not reading the road map and this topic's question

Again,

Your BS

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Techhog89
@ronvalencia said:

If you read the source link, there's a road map that shows Polaris 10 replacing Fury Series LOL.

Nah, you're just wrong about what the slide means. I'm not saying that Polaris 10 won't be slightly faster than Fury X, but there's won't be a Polaris 10 Fury card.

@wizard said:

@tormentos:

According to DF the 36 CU Polaris 10 at 800mhz has performance shy of the 290x, much less a Fury X/980 Ti. Assuming that the NEO runs at 911 on the PS4, it's looking to match a 380x or a 390x at best (he mentioned unideal test conditions)..so close to a GTX 970. If Digital Foundry is correct, your thread was hilariously off.

FYI, full Polaris 10 has 40CUs. Add in high clocks and it should be slightly (20% tops) faster than Fury X or at least on-par, but that's not anywhere near good enough for a successor on a new node. The 1080 is something like 70% faster than the 980, for example.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I wonder if it'll have hbm1. If so it could be a sub 100 watt card, definitely getting one when it launches anyway.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tormentos

@wizard said:

@tormentos:

Loading Video...

""I THINK THEY ARE TARGETING 390 of performance.""

Is what they think AMD is targeting not the actual performance fool nice fail..lol

They did already with Tomb Raider for consoles and even make a benchmark,comparing 2 GPU on PC to show what the suppose gap would be between xbox one and PS4 the test failed,and the game was as big as 30FPS unlike what DF claimed it would be using PC cards.

So yeah you have nothing.

@techhog89 said:

@tormentos: No, they don't. They put it at the 390X at best. Even if they did, it would prove my point because a replacement for the Fury lone would have to be much faster than it, not just on par. For example, the 1080 is the replacement of the 980, not this 980 Ti or the Titan X even though it's faster than them by a good margin.

The freaking benchmark i quote claim it was matching a Fury X and holding 60FPS steadier to,so i have a link you have nothing but bitter tear.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ronvalencia

@techhog89 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Nah, you're just wrong about what the slide means. I'm not saying that Polaris 10 won't be slightly faster than Fury X, but there's won't be a Polaris 10 Fury card.

Again,

@techhog89 said:

FYI, full Polaris 10 has 40CUs. Add in high clocks and it should be slightly (20% tops) faster than Fury X or at least on-par, but that's not anywhere near good enough for a successor on a new node. The 1080 is something like 70% faster than the 980, for example.

1080's gap will be smaller with 980 Ti.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ronvalencia

@wizard said:

@tormentos:

R9-290 Pro is actually faster than R9-380X(Tonga XT)...

GCN Rankings (lowest to highest)

R9-380X(Tonga XT, 970 Mhz, 32 CU, 3.9 TFLOPS)

R9-290(Hawaii Pro, 947 Mhz, 40 CU, 4.85 TFLOPS)

R9-390(Hawaii Pro, 1000 Mhz, 40 CU, 5.12 TFLOPS)

R9-290X(Hawaii XT, 1000 Mhz, 44 CU, 5.63 TFLOPS)

.R9-390X(Hawaii XT, 1050 Mhz, 44 CU, 5.91 TFLOPS)

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wizard

@techhog89: Talking about the PS4 NEO in reference to tormentos reference to his own thread. The 36CU Polaris 10, not the full one. I have no doubt a 40 CU 1.1ghz+ 175W Polaris 10 will mop the floor with most modern cards.

@tormentos:

They did already with Tomb Raider for consoles and even make a benchmark,comparing 2 GPU on PC to show what the suppose gap would be between xbox one and PS4 the test failed,and the game was as big as 30FPS unlike what DF claimed it would be using PC cards.

So...something completely unrelated?

I have Digital Foundry. You have your own interpretations. I think I'm in the clear here.

@ronvalencia:

I stand corrected. Still, we know that the 36CU Polaris 10 sure as hell isn't a Fury.

(according to DF anyway)

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tormentos

@wizard said:

@techhog89: Talking about the PS4 NEO in reference to tormentos reference to his own thread. The 36CU Polaris 10, not the full one. I have no doubt a 40 CU 1.1ghz+ 175W Polaris 10 will mop the floor with most modern cards.

@tormentos:

That is funny because if Polaris 10 with 40CU mop the floor with most modern cards what do you think polaris Vega with 64 CU will do.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Techhog89

@ronvalencia said:
@techhog89 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Again,

@techhog89 said:

1080's gap will be smaller with 980 Ti.

Yes, it will be smaller, since the 1080 replaces the 980 and not the 980 Ti. Thanks for proving my point! :D

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@tormentos said:
@wizard said:

@tormentos:

That is funny because if Polaris 10 with 40CU mop the floor with most modern cards what do you think polaris Vega with 64 CU will do.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wizard

@tormentos:

Your comprehension can't be that bad...can it?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ronvalencia

@techhog89 said:

Yes, it will be smaller, since the 1080 replaces the 980 and not the 980 Ti. Thanks for proving my point! :D

So, what's your problem?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ronvalencia

Current E8970 (mobile Tonga XT with 32 CU and 750Mhz) + 8 GB 256bit GDDR5 MXM card has 95 watts. There's no need for HBMv1.

@Chozofication said:

I wonder if it'll have hbm1. If so it could be a sub 100 watt card, definitely getting one when it launches anyway.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ronvalencia

@wizard said:

@tormentos:

So...something completely unrelated?

I have Digital Foundry. You have your own interpretations. I think I'm in the clear here.

@ronvalencia:

I stand corrected. Still, we know that the 36CU Polaris 10 sure as hell isn't a Fury.

(according to DF anyway)

http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-10-polaris-11-launch-event/

Full Polaris 10 either has 44 CU or more than 44 CU.

Hopefully, "3" was just a typo from Roy Taylor.

If 3 in 3816 is just typo, then it's 2816 SP = 44 CU.

If 3 in 3816 is not a typo, then the CU count is greater than 44 CU.

AMD Kaveri APU's chip size is 245 mm^2 (28 nm process node) and AMD A6-7400K SKU's price tag is $50.99 retail i.e. chip price from GloFlo is very low.