Alan Wake never on PC - now confirmed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
I can understand hermits being upset but forum posters aren't the only ones aware of the lack of 360 new ip exclusives.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
I can understand hermits being upset but forum posters aren't the only ones aware of the lack of 360 new ip exclusives.moose_knuckler
Im more upset about the choice in design change more than anything. I may still get it on 360, but there are so many other titles that interest me more this year than this. We see how this game turns out.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

oh noes ... one MS funded game becomes 360 exclusive ,PC gaming must be dying --what I am going do now, :cry: ... oh wait ... I can play the quality PC exclusives which are more than that for all the 3 consoles combined (or something like that)

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Starcraft 2 called. It said "LOL @ no future"

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

[QUOTE="anshul89"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

I like PC and I'm a really loyal PC gamer, but it seems to me that PC gaming really has no future. At least for now.IgGy621985

So the 360 gets one more high quality exclusive and suddenly PC gaming has no future ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The PC has more high quality exclusives than all 3 consoles combined this gen :D

There are less and less good PC exclusives nowadays. Yeah, you can point me to that adrianwerner's spreadsheet, but most of those PC exclusives from the list are crap.

Crap for you of course. Not that I care about exclusive games, but there're only 6 games I really want to play on all three consoles combined, and more than 15 I'm dying to play on PC.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="article"]

"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. [...]"

foxhound_fox

Did they hire System Wars fanboys to head up Microsoft's decision making? Do these people not even understand what HDMI does for the PC platform? And why modern HDTV's also come with DVI and VGA input?

This seems like a very sad excuse for putting it on Xbox 360 only.

You really think the majority of people realise this? It's a great statement from a marketing perspective.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

lame, i was looking forward to this on PC. Guess ill get it for xbox if it has good reviews.

Odrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Odrec
Member since 2009 • 1897 Posts
Another one to the long list of reasons why M$ pretty much sucks.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I lol'd. Sounds like something ol' System Wars would come up to make an excuse. "Supposed to be played on big screens, huur huur hurrr" Yeah, right. Luckily I wasn't buying anyway.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You really think the majority of people realise this? It's a great statement from a marketing perspective.

Baranga

The majority of console gamers here on Gamespot don't know you can hook a PC up to a HDTV. I highly doubt the majority of the general public knows that either. I've lost count of how many times I've had to inform people that you can in fact hooke your computer up to your TV... and use a wirless 360 gamepad to paly games.

visionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 visionary
Member since 2002 • 14739 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]If the game is becoming linear and more of an action adventure game, I really don't care that much.Killfox
I think remedy really could have had something special if they kept their original core design of the game and the openendness. Yes it would have been a difficult task to to, but i think they could have pulled it off. I am not glad its not coming to PC. A linear action adventure honestly to me sounds boring compared the original design of the game. I kind of had a feeling this ws coming though from all the recent videos we have seen of the game. O well. I maye pick it up for 360, but i still have a lot of reserved judgment on this game. Oh and TC, your last sentence could not be anymore false. If PC gaming has no future then gaming itself goes downt he tube. You lose so many independent developers like the people who made sins of a solar empire, the witcher, and stalker.

I was under the impression that they removed the sandbox elements of the game due to story telling difficulties which I don't have a problem with. However as far as we know, the open world elements haven't been sacrificed all that much. There is a clear difference between a sandbox title that offers random, independently chosen missions that tell the storyline in a non-linear but sometimes convoluted fashion which wouldn't work with a physiological title such as this, and an open world game that has a strict and singular narrative with moments of exploration. We haven't seen nearly enough to indicate that it was a huge sacrifice, I'd say wait it out.

-From the Alan Wake FAQ

"The story of Alan Wake is made up like a continuing season of a TV series, consisting episodes where the story unfolds as the player completes missions. Some of the episodes end up in a classic cliffhanger, while others are calmer, concentrating on character development and Alan's past. Although you can play the game in one-episode portions, that isn't Remedy's ultimate goal. "We want to give the game an irresistible 'one more episode' atmosphere" lead designer Petri Järvilehto says.

The plot of Alan Wake is tied in episodes, but the game world isn't. You can move freely around Bright Falls and the surrounding nature without any urgency. There is much to explore in the huge environment and by talking to the residents you might discover unexpected secrets. "However, Alan Wake isn't a Bioware RPG" Järvilehto clarifies. "The storytelling doesn't advance if the player wonders aimlessly around the woods."

visionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 visionary

As for the excuse, it was clearly way of stating the obvious without actually outright stating it (such a ridiculous reason can't be true). They want a quality exclusive for the Xbox360 and they have the power to do that despite the suckage for the PC audience. Smart move but it would have been better if theywould have just not given an excuse at all and listed it as exclusive. We gamers can put two and two together without the insult to our intelligence.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
SO sad to see people refuse to buy a 360. I mean they say all its best games are on a PC, then when a lot of good games actually stay 360 exclusive they say I rather not play the game then. So sad to see people hype about a game and become so fan boyish because they don't want to buy a certain system.
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts
SO sad to see people refuse to buy a 360. I mean they say all its best games are on a PC, then when a lot of good games actually stay 360 exclusive they say I rather not play the game then. So sad to see people hype about a game and become so fan boyish because they don't want to buy a certain system.too_much_eslim
This could be said about all platforms. People refusing to buy x even though y is released to it because x is from a certain company.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#65 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

"However, Alan Wake isn't a Bioware RPG" Järvilehto clarifies. "The storytelling doesn't advance if the player wonders aimlessly around the woods."visionary

The ****?

What kind of a comment is that?

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

SO sad to see people refuse to buy a 360. I mean they say all its best games are on a PC, then when a lot of good games actually stay 360 exclusive they say I rather not play the game then. So sad to see people hype about a game and become so fan boyish because they don't want to buy a certain system.too_much_eslim
pc gamers are insulted by the excuse they gave..not that the game is not coming to pc... troll harder next time

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#67 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform."

IgGy621985

wow, that quote is total bs. I'm not much of a pc gamer but I know that it doesn't really matter what platform a game is on. I'm pretty sure this is all about the $$$ of exclusivity. Rockstar might as well of argued that they wanted to put the GTA4 DLC exclusive on the 360 because it is a better platform

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Sollet

[QUOTE="visionary"]"However, Alan Wake isn't a Bioware RPG" Järvilehto clarifies. "The storytelling doesn't advance if the player wonders aimlessly around the woods."Cherokee_Jack

The ****?

haha yeah that made no sense.. What is he trying to say?
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#69 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
Member since 2004 • 49586 Posts
Well, that's sad. Sounds like to me the game was "dumb-downed" for the Xbox 360. :/
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts
Weak, I finally have a good gaming PC, and now this :(
visionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 visionary

[QUOTE="visionary"]"However, Alan Wake isn't a Bioware RPG" Järvilehto clarifies. "The storytelling doesn't advance if the player wonders aimlessly around the woods."Cherokee_Jack

The ****?

Not sure I understand that part of the quote myself, I assume he means that even though there are free roaming elements, you won't find extra missions that can extend the storyline by exploring (no sandbox missions), unlike a Bioware RPG. o_O

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Sollet
Well, that's sad. Sounds like to me the game was "dumb-downed" for the Xbox 360. :/Stevo_the_gamer
You mean like MW2 :P?
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Well that is disappointing. I guess I will just get it for my 360.. would of prefered PC though.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Well, that's sad. Sounds like to me the game was "dumb-downed" for the Xbox 360. :/Sollet

MW2 was dumb-downed on PC, actually.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#75 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

it would have been better on PC.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Sollet
[QUOTE="Sollet"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Well, that's sad. Sounds like to me the game was "dumb-downed" for the Xbox 360. :/Stevo_the_gamer

MW2 was dumb-downed on PC, actually.

Well yeah but I am just saying maybe Alan Wake would've ended up dumbed down too on PC?
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
Well yeah but I am just saying maybe Alan Wake would've ended up dumbed down too on PC?Sollet
Well, if they decided to just port it to PC after they finished the Xbox 360 version. Yes, it would end up being dumb-downed on PC, which would be even more sad. :(
chapnzaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#78 chapnzaba
Member since 2005 • 2302 Posts
Good job Lems, you got a good exclusive for 2010 that is not Crackdown 2.
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Sollet
[QUOTE="Sollet"]Well yeah but I am just saying maybe Alan Wake would've ended up dumbed down too on PC?Stevo_the_gamer
Well, if they decided to just port it to PC after they finished the Xbox 360 version. Yes, it would end up being dumb-downed on PC, which would be even more sad. :(

Maybe that's Remedy won't do it and they don't want the 360 to look bad :P
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
Maybe that's Remedy won't do it and they don't want the 360 to look bad :PSollet
lol. That could be it!
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#81 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

[QUOTE="anshul89"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

I like PC and I'm a really loyal PC gamer, but it seems to me that PC gaming really has no future. At least for now.IgGy621985

So the 360 gets one more high quality exclusive and suddenly PC gaming has no future ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The PC has more high quality exclusives than all 3 consoles combined this gen :D

There are less and less good PC exclusives nowadays. Yeah, you can point me to that adrianwerner's spreadsheet, but most of those PC exclusives from the list are crap.

You think is crap. Most people that prefer pc gaming which are more people than they prefer console gaming find those games great ( me included ) .

Honestly i take Kings bounty armored princess, Napoleon Total War and Stalker Call of pripyat over GOW3, MAG and Heavy rain any time

Yes i would like to have Alan wake for PC but big deal if its not coming there are alot of great pc games coming out this year and believe me once i get my hand on elemental War of magic i would barely have time for any other game

Anjunaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Anjunaddict
Member since 2010 • 4178 Posts
Well i have to say HAHAHAHA because there were at least 2 people on here last night who were adamant that a PC version would follow.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Ugh this makes my head spin. I don't get it, I just don't get it...Alan Wake just lost all the hype I had for it, I could care less about it now.
ThatGuyFromB4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 ThatGuyFromB4
Member since 2009 • 697 Posts

Lol. More and more developers are abandoning PC gaming.Even Crysis 2 is coming to consoles now. Do you guys actually have any exclusives nowadays that aren't some kinda RTS or MMO garbage?

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#85 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts

[QUOTE="Revan_911"]The last paragraph that's where you're wrong.IgGy621985

Well, I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But the way things are going, I'm really not so sure about the bright future of PC gaming.

I can tell you this much. It's like an oxymoron. Blizzard and The Sims are a few of the reasons why the PC market is pretty much a monopoly now except for the more casual Popcap games and or Steam. However at the same time the PC fate at least in the near future is very dependant on especially Blizzards products. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 being the only reason why I will upgrade my gaming rig since Half-Life 2.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#86 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
If the game is becoming linear and more of an action adventure game, I really don't care that much.DragonfireXZ95
What are you talking about? This allows them to craft the experience much more than before. When it was a sandbox game they had no way of controlling what information they give you or the "shock" factor or any of that. This allows them to make the story better. Not every game has to be a sandbox game and I for one am extremely happy they moved away from it to be able to focus more on the story. [QUOTE="Brownesque"]Right on, well. I guess I won't be buying Alan Wake. Oh, and Microsoft can kiss my ass, I'm not buying an Xbox.

Enjoy missing out on another great 360 exclusive.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mythrol
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="visionary"]"However, Alan Wake isn't a Bioware RPG" Järvilehto clarifies. "The storytelling doesn't advance if the player wonders aimlessly around the woods."Sollet

The ****?

haha yeah that made no sense.. What is he trying to say?

I think he means you can't progress any of the story elements by wandering. Unlike ME2 where you could make your crew "loyal" by wandering away from the main path.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#88 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
[QUOTE="mythrol"] Enjoy missing out on another great 360 exclusive.

Well, if it's "best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen" then there is no point in playing it. Oh well :)
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

Lol. More and more developers are abandoning PC gaming.Even Crysis 2 is coming to consoles now. Do you guys actually have any exclusives nowadays that aren't some kinda RTS or MMO garbage?

ThatGuyFromB4

wow.. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing this line.. so I'm just gonna copy/paste a very well written response to this subject.. by annoyeddragon kudos :)

Honestly people are so used to the idea that PC gaming is in trouble that they never question it, it's just a given, a default position. But the moment I suggest console gaming isn't too healthy these days; they freak out. What? Console gaming in trouble? Ha! The idea is ludicrous to them. They don't need any evidence to declare PC gaming dead, but they will completely disregard all the evidence you present the console market isn't doing too good; because they reject the idea outright.

This is reflected in all their arguments, they are completely uninterested in looking at anything that suggests something is wrong with console gaming, to the point that they make a fool of themselves with some of their arguments.

Take for instance this line we hear all too often"PC developers fleeing to consoles". Anyone with eyes would recognise the cross platform orientation of this generation, they will recognise a significant number of games are going cross platform on both console and PC. But some people are just so unable to look a little closer to home they actually only note the PC games going cross platform, its ridiculous and I don't know why this highly flawed argument is perpetuated on the console end to this day.

When I look at the console market today I see multi billion dollar companies unable to attract exclusive 3rd party development; were as a platform that offers them no financial incentives can. I see supposedly popular platforms having to pay game developers to remain exclusive while PC takes the lead in exclusives. I see consoles being treated like a cross platform dumping ground, as shown by the exclusive to cross platform ratio, an accusation that still gets used against PC despite it being truer about consoles. I see console companies having to pay for exclusive content in cross platform games; while some developers bring PC exclusive benefits in their games without being paid a penny.

People try their very best to drag the image of PC gaming through the muck; and yet time and time again I see this supposedly dying platform stands head and shoulders above the multi billion dollar investments consoles are getting. What are you going to say? What could any of you possibly say to me that is going to diminish how I view my platform when I see the console business model falling apart right in front of me? Every criticism out there doesn't change what is in fact going on. You can talk about piracy and sales and all the doom preaching all you want, you can even pull the preference card and try to pass it off as everyones opinion,PC is still here and it is out performing consoles in developer support.

What more is there to say?

AnnoyedDragon

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Well that sucks.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Espada12

The ****?

What he is saying which he probably didn't put across properly, is that in a bioware RPG the story would advance regardless of the path you take. For example, in DA:O you can go to any of the 4 races first and the story would still advance. In short what he is saying is that alan wake is linear as linear gets.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#92 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

You got to be kidding me. That such a stupid excuse they have.:| This really sucks; I was getting excited for this game.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mythrol
[QUOTE="aaronmullan"][QUOTE="mythrol"] Enjoy missing out on another great 360 exclusive.

Well, if it's "best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen" then there is no point in playing it. Oh well :)

Yes, obviously all games played on consoles are worthless. Thanks for clearing that up.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

Well, I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But the way things are going, I'm really not so sure about the bright future of PC gaming.

Chrome-

Because MS bought out a game? like Sony Bought out Heavy Rain? It just goes to show how badly the 360 is struggeling for games.... Alan Wake is an empty shell of its original concept, so I doubt many PC gamers will care that much now.

Yeah yeah 'xbawks shucks fck m$!' you're just your average typical cow. But hey even though you won't admit it deep down inside I know this is a game you would love to have.

"Hey look everyone, he has has a PSN tag, completely ignoring the Xfire tag with a much longer history! HE MUST BE A COW!" :roll:

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

i dont mind linear

nothing worse then walking around 20 mins just looking for the right way to go

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

[QUOTE="h575309"] Acrually its not struggling at all, and again outselling the ps3. Stop being so bitter.BioShockOwnz

Bitter? I own a 360 =/ and Alan Wake looks freaking average now.

Yeah, making stuff up with no experience with the game to back it up? Why do that?

I'll listen to the folks with experience...

"But, aside from that, the best compliment to pay Alan Wake the game right now is that it is exuding the style, polish and beauty of location of Naughty Dog's hit PlayStation 3 series"

http://kotaku.com/5467161/alan-wake-slated-for-may-18-looks-good

Is Uncharted 2 "freaking average"? You going to be consistent?

Compared to what it was originally hyped for then yes?
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I don't see how signing with MS means the game became linear because of that. The game was always gonna be on the 360, regardless.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]

Bitter? I own a 360 =/ and Alan Wake looks freaking average now.

Birdy09

Yeah, making stuff up with no experience with the game to back it up? Why do that?

"But, aside from that, the best compliment to pay Alan Wake the game right now is that it is exuding the style, polish and beauty of location of Naughty Dog's hit PlayStation 3 series"

360 owners hardly know what it was hyped for, I feel by your vague comment that you don't either.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Espada12

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

SaltyMeatballs

360 owners hardly know what it was hyped for, I feel by your vague comment that you don't either.

It's was supposed to be a sandbox game ,they wanted it to be sort of like GTA but failed on that end, now it's just linear.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...what a joke. I spit on everyone involved with this game.