About PC sales...

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I don't think that a lot of people here really understand PC sales.

While console games have huge opening weeks and sell the majority of their total sales in the first few months, PC games have a much different way of selling. Most PC games sell more and more over time. At first the really demanding games like Crysis do not sell well because of their high specs requirements. Piracy is high becuase people don't see massive value in it and they don't know if their PC can really run it.

Over time though, as PCs get more capable, sales of the high end PC games start to increase. Soon basic PCs from major manufactures like HP and Dell can play these games on lower quality settings. Sales stay steady through these entire period. They are lower than a console games first few months, but they are steady over a few years.

This is one of the reasons why people misconceive that PC gaming is dying. They don't see the massive sales right away and figure that the game is a dud and nobody plays PC anymore. This is a faulty prediction as they are expecting massive sales, when massive sales usually don't come to PC games.

Also as long as there are PCs there will be games for them. Its a free to develop on platform with no licensing fees (if you choose to build the game from scratch). Its a platform that is extremely versatile to handle some of the most complicated games. Finally it is a platform that is in nearly every house in the developed countries of this world. You can't go wrong with PC gaming.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#2 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

. You can't go wrong with PC gaming.

Wasdie

You said it best brother. Logic in SW is unheard of.

-PuLse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -PuLse
Member since 2009 • 538 Posts
PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
PC gamin really cant die as long as you have RTS i still cant imagine traditional RTS playing on consoles
knight0151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 knight0151
Member since 2008 • 1205 Posts

Congratulations on this thread, it's a good one.

I'll wait for the console fanboys to come here yelling "OMFG WELL CONSOLES IZ R BETTAR BECUZ I HAZ ONES AND I IZ FANBOYS AND U IS LIARS AND PC GAME'Z IS R DIES OUT AND PC TECHNOLOGY SUCKS COMPARED TO GAME CUBE TECHNOLOGY LOLLOLOOLOLOLZ"

It'll happen.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

http://www.gamasutra.com/news/originals/?story=22066

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

I recently read here on SW that Killzone 2 sold some 1.7million by now

didn't crysis sell some 2 million by now?

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts

Enosh88
Thats good, for a game with steep requirements and additional funding put in place to encourage hardware upgrades.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#9 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts

Enosh88
Well over that. And Warhead was a financial success.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wasdie  Moderator

Enosh88
Probably. As people upgrade their computers we see higher sales.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
Cool, never knew that. But here is my question. You say that PC games sell overtime as high end specs turn to standard specs. Now even though this may be true doesn't this still hurt the development company? I mean they make a game and spend alot of money on it and they have to wait a lot longer for the return. This would also hinder future projects from the same company because they are waiting so long for a return on their previous investment, so jumping into spending more money on another game could prove fatal.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I always find sales debates funny, because we're comparing the wrong numbers. While you are correct that PC games do sell over longer periods of time, that isn't necessarily a good thing. All things being equal, the console game that sells 2 million copies over 3 months is all but certainly going to be more profitable than a PC game that sells 2 million copies over 2 years, due to the fact the PC game will have it's price significantly reduced over that period of time.

Of course that raises the question of why we even bother comparing sales because we'll never know how profitable the vast majority of games (or consoles, for that matter) are, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]. You can't go wrong with PC gaming.

Dead-Memories

I think he's talking about the bargain bin where you can find PC games from over 2-3 years ago. There's no doubt PC games have a longer shelf (Bin) life then most console games. To think these bargain bin titles sell as much as console games is ridiculous. Where as a game like Crysis sold almost 2 million it's first year and even over the next 5 years could probably sell another million +, a game like Halo 3 sold over 3 million in just a couple weeks and it continues to sell another 10K-20K each week. I understand PC games have a longer life, but over that lifetime period they will be pirated more then they will be purchased. That's a fact. PC gaming may never die, but it's growth has stalled over the last 3yrs. U.S. PC game sales are among the lowest compared to the International countries.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _Pedro_
Cool, never knew that. But here is my question. You say that PC games sell overtime as high end specs turn to standard specs. Now even though this may be true doesn't this still hurt the development company? I mean they make a game and spend alot of money on it and they have to wait a lot longer for the return. This would also hinder future projects from the same company because they are waiting so long for a return on their previous investment, so jumping into spending more money on another game could prove fatal. Javy03
Most exclusive pc games don't have a budget exceeding 5 million (some exceptions, but those usually sell a lot more anyway) so they can get their money back fairly quickly, after that the devs receive a stream of income coming from their games. PC gaming doesn't make you rich, but it's enough to make a living :wink:
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
[QUOTE="Javy03"]Cool, never knew that. But here is my question. You say that PC games sell overtime as high end specs turn to standard specs. Now even though this may be true doesn't this still hurt the development company? I mean they make a game and spend alot of money on it and they have to wait a lot longer for the return. This would also hinder future projects from the same company because they are waiting so long for a return on their previous investment, so jumping into spending more money on another game could prove fatal. _Pedro_
Most exclusive pc games don't have a budget exceeding 5 million (some exceptions, but those usually sell a lot more anyway) so they can get their money back fairly quickly, after that the devs receive a stream of income coming from their games. PC gaming doesn't make you rich, but it's enough to make a living :wink:

Yeah if you take out licensing fees, you drastically lower the price of gaming.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dgsag
[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

blackace

I think he's talking about the bargain bin where you can find PC games from over 2-3 years ago. There's no doubt PC games have a longer shelf (Bin) life then most console games. To think these bargain bin titles sell as much as console games is ridiculous. Where as a game like Crysis sold almost 2 million it's first year and even over the next 5 years could probably sell another million +, a game like Halo 3 sold over 3 million in just a couple weeks and it continues to sell another 10K-20K each week. I understand PC games have a longer life, but over that lifetime period they will be pirated more then they will be purchased. That's a fact. PC gaming may never die, but it's growth has stalled over the last 3yrs. U.S. PC game sales are among the lowest compared to the International countries.

Only because you're looking at the outdated retail sector.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Pedro_
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"][QUOTE="Javy03"]Cool, never knew that. But here is my question. You say that PC games sell overtime as high end specs turn to standard specs. Now even though this may be true doesn't this still hurt the development company? I mean they make a game and spend alot of money on it and they have to wait a lot longer for the return. This would also hinder future projects from the same company because they are waiting so long for a return on their previous investment, so jumping into spending more money on another game could prove fatal. Wasdie

Yeah if you take out licensing fees, you drastically lower the price of gaming.

yeah and advertisement costs are often underestimated aswell.
Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

blackace

Why are you comparing Halo 3 sales to Crysis sales? One is a new IP while the other is a third installment of an IP with a huge fan base, not to mention it happens to be a flagship game for a console and as such has a huge marketing campaign behind it. There are very few games on any system that can match the pull of games like Halo and CoD, so it is a bit pointless to bring those up for comparisons because they are in a league of their own.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Excellent thread. You need only to see the PC gaming charts to see the legs of some games.
BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts
[QUOTE="Enosh88"]

Wasdie
Probably. As people upgrade their computers we see higher sales.

Screw Warhead, STALKER; Soc has sold over 2 mill. now THAT'S impressive.
Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

OP is right, but this thread is still very pointless because fanboys won't even click on a topic that has the letters "P" and "C" in it, and even if they do, they'll too blind to read anything.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
The way I see it. You might not have a good rig now to play the latest games, but when you do you can pick up the games dirt cheap.
BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BoloTheGreat

The way I see it. You might not have a good rig now to play the latest games, but when you do you can pick up the games dirt cheap.Next-Gen-Tec
Indeed, hell you can get every unreal game for under £10 in the anthology. i recently saw Galactic Civ 2 ultimate addition (that's all of them!) in the 2 for £25 section along with Crysis, STALKER; Soc was in the 2 for £15 section :shock:

Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

People say PC gaming is dying because they don't use logic here in System Wars.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Excellent thread. You need only to see the PC gaming charts to see the legs of some games.blue_hazy_basic
Agreed when people upgrade their PCs the games sales go up. Also do PC sales lists include sales from Digital Distribution sites like Steam?

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.-PuLse
Example please? Only time I see this happening is when a sequel for the game is out, and that works the same for PC gamers. Unless the sequel sucks (and they often time do), then majority of the time people will switch over.
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

While console games have huge opening weeks and sell the majority of their total sales in the first few months, PC games have a much different way of selling. Most PC games sell more and more over time. At first the really demanding games like Crysis do not sell well because of their high specs requirements. Piracy is high becuase people don't see massive value in it and they don't know if their PC can really run it.

Wasdie

If somebody doesn't know if a PC game will run on their PC or not, then maybe they shouldn't be into PC gaming considering every PC game tells you the specs needed to run the game right on the box.

TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheGreatOutdoor

PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.-PuLse
I agree with this. When I got my first PC, my first game was Soldier of Fortune 2. I ended up not buying another game for over three years. I loved SoF2. And now Guild Wars. I have been playing it for over 3.5 years now with over 5,500 hours logged. I don't buy as many game for PC not because it doesn't have good games, but because it has great games. Games so great I don't feel the need to buy another game for a long time (A lot longer than I do for console).

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Excellent thread. You need only to see the PC gaming charts to see the legs of some games.Nintendo_Ownes7

Agreed when people upgrade their PCs the games sales go up. Also do PC sales lists include sales from Digital Distribution sites like Steam?

Nope, DD sales arent counted in the NDP and as such people think console game sell more. where as games like L4D, Gal Civ, and Demigod sell a large portion of its true sales via DD like Steam and Impulse
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#30 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
PC sales is a complete mystery, even with the PCGA report of $12.7 billion in sales worldwide. It is difficult to account for digital sales of PC games, which is increasing in popularity. Publishers for some reason keep sales of PC games a secret so we don't really know how well Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 or any other game that was shared released.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Over time though, as PCs get more capable, sales of the high end PC games start to increase. Soon basic PCs from major manufactures like HP and Dell can play these games on lower quality settings. Sales stay steady through these entire period. They are lower than a console games first few months, but they are steady over a few years.

Wasdie

If this is true why do PC games reduce price? If sales improve slowly, why do PC reduce the price of their games? If what you say is corect then: They could make more money if they keep the original price on game over time, but they dont. Why? If games dont sell at full price fast then they go down in price. ... That makes PC games better sales? For us yes. But for companies no. Halo 3 $60 Crysis $30

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
Average console game does sell better at least on 360, but it also costs more to make and has much more marketing. And yeah there's a good number of million sellers on PC despite the market being so spread out. It doesn't matter though, sales are a poor indication of quality and PC still gets the most exclusives and the best multiplats, so who cares.
TR800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TR800
Member since 2009 • 1814 Posts
Some people like change thats not for you to put down.
TR800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TR800
Member since 2009 • 1814 Posts

[QUOTE="-PuLse"]PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.TheGreatOutdoor

I agree with this. When I got my first PC, my first game was Soldier of Fortune 2. I ended up not buying another game for over three years. I loved SoF2. And now Guild Wars. I have been playing it for over 3.5 years now with over 5,500 hours logged. I don't buy as many game for PC not because it doesn't have good games, but because it has great games. Games so great I don't feel the need to buy another game for a long time (A lot longer than I do for console).

5,500 hours? There is a reason your called hermits.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]

[QUOTE="-PuLse"]PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.TR800

Over 3.5 years... :|

If you do the math, that's close to playing 5 hours a day every day, though I'm sure that wasn't the case. It's very reasonable to assume he has put that much time into a game over 3 years...especially an MMORPG.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Something console users tend to forget, or ignore, is PC has no dev kit or licensing fee costs.

A console user may gloat about a game selling more on their platform; but how many of those sales result in real income? For example Activision recently said that they paid 500 million in royalties and other costs to Sony last year, the same sales on PC would result in them being 500 million better off.

PC game sales are not equivalent to console sales, you have to sell more copies of a console game to make the same profit.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BoloTheGreat

Something console users tend to forget, or ignore, is PC has no dev kit or licensing fee costs.

A console user may gloat about a game selling more on their platform; but how many of those sales result in real income? For example Activision recently said that they paid 500 million in royalties and other costs to Sony last year, the same sales on PC would result in them being 500 million better off.

PC game sales are not equivalent to console sales, you have to sell more copies of a console game to make the same profit.

AnnoyedDragon
Just look at something like Sins or Galactic Civ 2, these games were both made on a very low budget compared to many titles and need to sell FAR fewer copies to turn a profit (and are also some of the most exelent Stratergy games for YEARS). Some compaines like GSC gameworld actually own part of a publishing house (Deep Silver is their publishing wing) and so again have much lower costs incured that way.
hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
pc games have legs, pc games are availible through digital distribution, pc games have hardcore fanbases that dwarf those of console games the pc is the only place you can get the best versions of multiplatform games, the best controls, the best onlbine and the best graphics as well as amazing exclusives like empire total war, dow 2, the sims 3, starcraft 2 etc
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"][QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

Just look at something like Sins or Galactic Civ 2, these games were both made on a very low budget compared to many titles and need to sell FAR fewer copies to turn a profit (and are also some of the most exelent Stratergy games for YEARS). Some compaines like GSC gameworld actually own part of a publishing house (Deep Silver is their publishing wing) and so again have much lower costs incured that way.

STALKER and The Witcher were all made by low budget out of the blue devs. Thats what great about PC gaming and making games for PC. Its a lot more low budget than making a console game so you get to see what these low budget devs are making. Then you get gems like STALKER and Witcher.
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheGreatOutdoor

[QUOTE="TR800"][QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]I agree with this. When I got my first PC, my first game was Soldier of Fortune 2. I ended up not buying another game for over three years. I loved SoF2. And now Guild Wars. I have been playing it for over 3.5 years now with over 5,500 hours logged. I don't buy as many game for PC not because it doesn't have good games, but because it has great games. Games so great I don't feel the need to buy another game for a long time (A lot longer than I do for console).

TreyoftheDead

Over 3.5 years... :|

If you do the math, that's close to playing 5 hours a day every day, though I'm sure that wasn't the case. It's very reasonable to assume he has put that much time into a game over 3 years...especially an MMORPG.

Yea thanks for pointing that out to him. Funny how some people don't really think out what they post before posting it.

NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts
You could say this about PS3 game sales as well. For example, Resistance: Fall of Man only sold like 50 or 60K its first week, and even less the following weeks. But after about 2 years, it's total sales are about a little over 3 million. Alot of PS3 games have strong legs, though not strong beginnings. Whether that has changed for more recent games like KZ2 or R2, which sold more over less time, is still yet to be determined. I'm not sure if long-term sales are considered "good" to the devs or not. If they are, then Insomniac and other dev's that sold their games more over time should be pleased. But I think dev's want to sell their games right away, because after just a couple of months, Eidos is most displeased with overall sales of 1.5 million for Tomb Raider: Underworld.
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

There are wii, xbox 360 and ps2 games that have sold over time as well. This isn't some special aspect of pc gaming. As for Crysis the sales were dissapointing which is a major factor as to why Crytek went multiplat.

PC game sales have declined for some genres like shooters so I also disagree with the op's belief about the pc being the best platform to target.

John Carmack on declining pc game sales

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/007422.html

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Yeah I have to agree with this.. Though console has its fair share of titles that people play for years, they just don't compare to the variety.. Some people are still playing Counter Strike Source every day sense 2004.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dgsag

There are wii, xbox 360 and ps2 games that have sold over time as well. This isn't some special aspect of pc gaming. As for Crysis the sales were dissapointing which is a major factor as to why Crytek went multiplat.

PC game sales have declined for some genres like shooters so I also disagree with the op's belief about the pc being the best platform to target.

dc337

Look out guys, its dc337, the console hardcore fanboy who pretends that he's ever played on a computer. :roll:

Don't try to debunk it, the ONLY reason you post on this board is to antagonize PC gamers.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

dc337

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=612

EA: Crysis Sales Strong-Exceeded Expectations

This just supports his argument. It's how PC games work, they usually sale more later than at release. Why? Hardware gets cheaper, more people can play the games. Yes, console game sales continue, but not at the same level as PC games. Console games that don't sell well at first, don't reach a million as fast as Crysis did, if at all.

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dc337

[QUOTE="dc337"]

dgsag

Look out guys, its dc337, the console hardcore fanboy who pretends that he's ever played on a computer. :roll:

Don't try to debunk it, the ONLY reason you post on this board is to antagonize PC gamers.

No I'm more of a manticore that thinks pc gaming elitism is silly. I do enjoy antagonizing people that build their ego around their computer, so I suppose you got that right. I suppose I would antagonize ps3 fanboys more but that has become too easy. Don't get so upset, it is system wars after all.

As for pc games I would actually be playing them more if there wasn't such a drought.

It doesn't help that on pc I like turn-based rpg and tactical squad games which have become a rarity. If it makes you feel any better I will be buying Battlefield 3 on the pc. I will also be taking a game vacation for diablo 3 so I'm not as anti-pc as you think.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dgsag

No I'm more of a manticore that thinks pc gaming elitism is silly. I do enjoy antagonizing people that build their ego around their computer, so I suppose you got that right. I suppose I would antagonize ps3 fanboys more but that has become too easy. Don't get so upset, it is system wars after all.

As for pc games I would actually be playing them more if there wasn't such a drought.

It doesn't help that on pc I like turn-based rpg and tactical squad games which have become a rarity. If it makes you feel any better I will be buying Battlefield 3 on the pc. I will also be taking a game vacation for diablo 3 so I'm not as anti-pc as you think.

dc337

What about Arma 2? That sounds like the perfect "Hardcore PC" game.

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dc337

[QUOTE="dc337"] No I'm more of a manticore that thinks pc gaming elitism is silly. I do enjoy antagonizing people that build their ego around their computer, so I suppose you got that right. I suppose I would antagonize ps3 fanboys more but that has become too easy. Don't get so upset, it is system wars after all.

dgsag

What about Arma 2? That sounds like the perfect "Hardcore PC" game.

I played operation flashpoint, wasn't that impressed with it. I watched some youtube videos of Arma and the engine looks a bit dated. Maybe I will try it later this year.

I really prefer turn-based tactical, stuff like Jagged Alliance 2. Too bad Helldorado sucked.

Though I don't play MMORPGS I may give wakfu a try when it is finished. I still haven't played through king's bounty so though I do have stuff to play on the pc the selection just isn't what it used to be. Almost all the pc games I will play this year are foreign which I think says a lot about how much pc gaming has changed.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

An example. The Elder Scrolls III still has a large following on the PC. It is still on the shelves, and still selling. Game came out in 2002.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
Cool, never knew that. But here is my question. You say that PC games sell overtime as high end specs turn to standard specs. Now even though this may be true doesn't this still hurt the development company? I mean they make a game and spend alot of money on it and they have to wait a lot longer for the return. This would also hinder future projects from the same company because they are waiting so long for a return on their previous investment, so jumping into spending more money on another game could prove fatal. Javy03
Digital Sales are far and away more profitable than Retail. You have to factor in Shipping, Packaging, and Retail outlet cut. I remember reading that the Stardock game Sins of a Solar Empire's 100k copies sold online was more profitable than the 400k+ sold at retail. Let me see if I can find the article.