About PC sales...

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
[QUOTE="-PuLse"]PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.killab2oo5
Example please? Only time I see this happening is when a sequel for the game is out, and that works the same for PC gamers. Unless the sequel sucks (and they often time do), then majority of the time people will switch over.

People are still playing Starcraft and Counter Strike.
funked_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 funked_up
Member since 2009 • 716 Posts
Well, Wasdie has spoken, there is nothing to add.
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

An example. The Elder Scrolls III still has a large following on the PC. It is still on the shelves, and still selling. Game came out in 2002.

lettuceman44

Mario 64 came out in 1996 and is one of the most popular titles on the virtual console. Again nothing special about the PC here.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

Pc would be the best platform to develop games on, but for some reasons ( business ) you only get some kind of games, like rts, managerial etc.. and a lot...a lot of lazy portings from the console versions. that's simply too bad.

SragentThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 SragentThom
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]

An example. The Elder Scrolls III still has a large following on the PC. It is still on the shelves, and still selling. Game came out in 2002.

dc337

Mario 64 came out in 1996 and is one of the most popular titles on the virtual console.

No one cares anymore.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]

dc337

Mario 64 came out in 1996 and is one of the most popular titles on the virtual console. Again nothing special about the PC here.

Is that because they're actively involved in the community and play the game to play the game? Or is it because of Nostalgia?
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

[QUOTE="dc337"]

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]

Locke562

Is that because they're actively involved in the community and play the game to play the game? Or is it because of Nostalgia?

What difference does it make when we are talking about sales?

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#58 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

[QUOTE="Locke562"][QUOTE="dc337"] Mario 64 came out in 1996 and is one of the most popular titles on the virtual console. Again nothing special about the PC here.

dc337

What difference does it make when we are talking about sales?

Mario 64 for the N64 is no longer sold new at retail, and is on the virtual console today. Not the same thing as having the same game on store shelves since 2002, and having it keep selling.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
If Crysis, a game so demanding that a significant portion of the market wontt be able to play the game at reasonable settings can make a profit, in fact, a comercial success, then you know the PC market is vibrant and healthy. If the Sim3 is marking record opening sales even when it was heavily pirated before it was released... If Empire Total War can actually beat Killzone 2 in the UK in sales charts...(http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=210189) If PC game industry are recording >10 billions in revenue..when people have been harping about its death 15 years ago... then anyone saying PC gaming is dead is simply an obstinate turd. Now when you add in no licensing fees, exploding digital sales that has not even been accounted for, a really active community that has many times take up on its own to produce new content for the community, heck even programmed their own community 'patches' to solve bugs...you would realise that PC Gaming scene is the only one that is dynamic enough to actually last as long as any gaming platform could be.
Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

[QUOTE="-PuLse"]PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.killab2oo5
Example please? Only time I see this happening is when a sequel for the game is out, and that works the same for PC gamers. Unless the sequel sucks (and they often time do), then majority of the time people will switch over.

The games most played online according to xfire.

World of Warcraft - 2004-11-23 - 5 years
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Multiplayer - 2007 - 2 years
Call of Duty 2 Multiplayer - 2005 - 4 years
Counter-Strike: Source - 2004 - 5 years
Battlefield 2 - 2005-6-21 - 4 years
Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne - 2002-7-3 - 7 years
Prototype - 2009
Guild Wars - Release Date: 2005-4-26 - 4 years
Call of Duty: World at War Multiplayer - 2008-11-11
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 2003-5-29 - 6 years

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
PC games do have an extremely long shelf life. Things like Fallout 1 still being sold at retail are evidence of that.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]

dc337

There are far more games on the PC as far as backwards compatibility is concerned, and people playing them. To ignore otherwise would be silly...

Even games like Baldurs Gate still receive community content... Hell I reinstalled System Shock 2 yesterday, downloading a bunch of recent user created mods - be it higher poly models or wide screen, high res enabled...

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

[QUOTE="dc337"]

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]

skrat_01

There are far more games on the PC as far as backwards compatibility is concerned, and people playing them. To ignore otherwise would be silly...

Even games like Baldurs Gate still receive community content... Hell I reinstalled System Shock 2 yesterday, downloading a bunch of recent user created mods - be it higher poly models or wide screen, high res enabled...

No, no, no, you're getting it all wrong, as long as the PC gaming scene doesn't happen to have the games he conveniently states he prefers, the entire market is DOOMED! :roll:

KratosTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 KratosTwin
Member since 2008 • 894 Posts

PC gaming is awesome. I love thast their games even when older have such great replay value i.e. TF2.

I need to upgrade mine though.

SragentThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65 SragentThom
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

PC gaming is awesome. I love thast their games even when older have such great replay value i.e. TF2.

I need to upgrade mine though.

KratosTwin

Stop wasting money on console games.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.-PuLse
pc games are just of a much higher quality
Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

Why do PC game prices fall so quickly? Don't you think publishers would prefer their games to sell at $50.00 rather than $5.00 in the bargain bin? Some Pc games do sell but the vast majority of them end up in bargain bins. PC games sales have been dominated by The SIms and World of Warcraft in the USA and UK for so many years.

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts
[QUOTE="-PuLse"]PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.surrealnumber5

Is that a bad thing? More money for developers means more games. I woul dbe damned if I played the same game for 10 years like the majority of Pc gamers are doing. Counter Strike, Starcraft and Warcraft III
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#69 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="-PuLse"]PC gamers don't need to buy games, they play the same game for years unlike consolites who switch FPS every few months.Jamex1987

Is that a bad thing? More money for developers means more games. I woul dbe damned if I played the same game for 10 years like the majority of Pc gamers are doing. Counter Strike, Starcraft and Warcraft III

They're just that good. It isn't like there aren't games that we could otherwise be playing. And it isn't necessarily so that the same ones are still playing today. It could merely be a transition in audience.