GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2480 Posts

It’s becoming more clear why Xbox is the first to pull the plug on physical games. Their consumer base has all but abandoned them. Game Pass?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

@ghostofgolden: It's a shame IMO, but collectors who want to flip them probably think it's a good time to buy Xbox games because of the rarity.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38898 Posts

Gamepass is killing the whole echosystem. What an invention.

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

It is hard to buy physical games when many not even be released physical, it is kinda "no shit sherlock" moment here.

...and yeah gamepass adds on top of that

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8856 Posts

@ghostofgolden: It's not just game pass. Most people buy and download games from the Microsoft Store. I havent bought a physical game since the 360 days.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12986 Posts

Switch is dominating this gen BIG time. wow 😮

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5887 Posts

ditched physical games on all platforms ages ago.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

Gamepass, digital sales, Series S...

I don't care, I'd rather build up my digital library. Same on PC with steam etc. I specifically don't want to buy physical any more, in order to add all games to my library.

And like the PC, on Xbox, you have access to all compatible games when you sign in on a device, easy shared cloud saves... It's just better imo.

Nintendo platforms are the only platforms where I'd be about physical games. Games on other platforms have such heavy reliance on the internet for constant large updates and DLC, that physical games feel redundant to me.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

Obvious as to why ms want to go digital only and release a digital only series X next year.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69532 Posts

I am not a fan of physical because it is inconvenient, archaic in its current state, and occupies more space than it needs to. Many consumers feel this way about it thus the shift. If gaming companies shifted away from optical to a more modern storage that doesn't require installation, physical will have more value for me.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

My Walmart has completely gotten rid of all physical games.

Physical media is unfortunately not going to be around for too much longer. Digital would make more sense if it were a bit cheaper than the physical release.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44571 Posts

The physical vs digital rankings between consoles perfectly mirrors my confidence in digital rights on each platform.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GirlUSoCrazy

@lamprey263: Confidence doesn't even enter into it for me, I need a physical disc if only as a key just to get the game to run on various consoles on various user profiles. What I need isn't possible with digital.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

The series s kind of gave us all an indication it won't be long before ms move to digital.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

It’s funny how game pass has all these games , but yet Xbox still comes in 3rd place. when it comes to consoles sales and now hearing that sub model is stagnate , explains a lot about these recent lay offs that MS did lately . Sony is smart , day one should go for customers who want to buy, then later on add that game to sub model. Double dip is the perfect win for Sony and for gamers who are willing wait a year to play Sony’s awesome exclusives

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2420 Posts

Stop packaging movies and games in boxes ten times the size. We don't have mansions.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GirlUSoCrazy

@warm_gun: You want a game library for ants?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8096 Posts

i literally can't remember the last physical game i purchased..

also, i thought "revenue warriors" only cared about what's best for the corporation.. in the case of digital vs physical, digital is by FAR a better choice for the host company.. so, congrats to Xbox?..

in either case, i prefer options.. so i hope physical games remain an option for any gamers that prefer that medium..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: That is not true. You can play digital games on multiple profiles at least on Xbox. You can also play on two consoles at the same time.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6889 Posts

Does this count microtransactions are just game sells?

I will always choose physical unless it is a always online game or has an amazing sale.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@silentchief said:

Does this count microtransactions are just game sells?

I will alwaystypically choose physical unless it is a always online game or has an amazing sale.

Updated for accuracy.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
@girlusocrazy said:

What I need isn't possible with digital.

@Pedro said:

That is not true.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it still seems to me what I need isn't possible with digital. I've got more than two consoles, more than two profiles, also friends and family.

Can you explain how it would be possible to have a single digital library of purchased games, and serve a different purchased digital game from that library to four or five different consoles at the same time, and allow lending/borrowing of yet other digital purchased games?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:
@girlusocrazy said:

What I need isn't possible with digital.

@Pedro said:

That is not true.

Maybe I'm mjstaken, but it still seems to me what I need isn't possible with digital. I've got more than two consoles, more than two profiles, also friends and family.

Can you explain how it would be possible to have a single digital library of purchased games, and serve a different purchased digital game from that library to four or five different consoles at the same time, and allow lending/borrowing of yet other digital purchased games?

Digital games are not locked to a system but to the account. An account has access to the digital library on any compatible system. You currently cannot play a single purchase of a physical game on two consoles at the same time but you can with digital. If you are in a situation in which five people need to play the same game, you will have to purchase five physical copies. However, with digital you only need three copies, which can also serve six gamers simultaneously. Lending/borrowing while possible is not practical outside of the same household with digital.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: I believe there's a misunderstanding. I don't want to play the same game on two or more consoles at the same time.

I want a single library of games where each of 4 or more users can take a different game from the library and play on a different console and different profile at the same time.

How is this possible with digital?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: I believe there's a misunderstanding. I don't want to play the same game on two or more consoles at the same time.

I want a library of games where each user can take a different game from the library and play on a different console at the same time.

How is this possible with digital?

I am correcting your claim "I need a physical disc if only as a key just to get the game to run on various consoles on various user profiles."

You have been provided the information about what you can and cannot do with digital in my last comment.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: I see. That doesn't seem to be the only requirement I have, however.

Thanks for the discussion about the various options that are available, but for now it seems like for what I would like to do, it isn't possible with digital.

For now it seems like I need a physical disc as a key to do what I want.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Xbox is thinking about the future, and trying to be environmentally friendly. We trying to clean up the plastic island in the middle of the ocean..you should youtube it, actually there's an entire island where ocean currents converge and this has caused an entire massive island of plastic to form. MS thinking about them kids.

Oh and gamepass or bust.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@girlusocrazy: “ I want a single library of games where each of 4 or more users can take a different game from the library and play on a different console and different profile at the same time.”

I had Xbox friends and family. 1 library, more than 4 users could take a different game and play on different consoles at the same time. It also let different people play the same game from that library at the same time, which you can’t do with physical.

They released it as a trial period and we snatched a year up. All of us got 1 year GP Ultimate when the trial ended. No idea if it’s coming back.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GirlUSoCrazy

@sealionact: I agree it sounds promising, I was excited to see them acting on considerations that involved friends and family. That's important to me. I think it was only for Game Pass, which means it would not apply to all digital games that would be permanently in my library. It would apply to a group of games selected by others and may not include my desired games.

The nature of digital services is also that terms for access can change, and price of access can also change. I would be looking for some more stability and hopefully not an ongoing fee but rather discrete purchases at a price up front.

Digital continues to progress and the market is evolving, I'm not sure what will happen in the future but hopefully there will be considerations for people who have these desires. I like that Microsoft at least acknowledged these things and I hope the entire industry will look more closely into this and act on it. I also hope consumers who want this will speak up.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15926 Posts

Unfortunate for xbox but great for me hopefully. It means collectors edition will be allocated more for the PS vers.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Warm_Gun
@girlusocrazy said:

@warm_gun: You want a game library for ants?

On the right a case that makes sense for the physical dimensions of the media. On the left idiotic waste of space.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GirlUSoCrazy

@warm_gun: You could even put the discs in a binder with sleeves to further reduce the space required.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#33 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

I can't even remember the last time I purchased a physical copy of a game. I'm always surprised when folks buy physical still.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56131 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I can't even remember the last time I purchased a physical copy of a game. I'm always surprised when folks buy physical still.

Why would you say you are surprised? I'm fully digital myself but I still but my Nintendo Switch games physically cause Nintendo flat-out sucks handling digital responsibly and they suck on preservation.

I for one glad physical is still an option for all gamers and this is coming from a digital gamer.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts

I always prefer physical games mainly due to convenience in installing, selling, sharing, and renting. Plus you own the games.

Digital is a scam that people have fallen into hook, line and stinker. And the funny part is they are proud of it 😂😆

The moment gaming becomes all digital is the moment I will turn retro, or even join the cause of the pirates.

If buying a digital game is not owning it, pirating the game isn't stealing it.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GhostOfGolden
@danishanwar said:

I always prefer physical games mainly due to convenience in installing, selling, sharing, and renting. Plus you own the games.

You might wanna read the TOS. The big 3 all have these types of statements in theirs

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Unless we backtrack on some Supreme Court precedents, that is unenforceable for physical games.

And the companies know it.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GhostOfGolden

@mattbbpl said:

@ghostofgolden: Unless we backtrack on some Supreme Court precedents, that is unenforceable for physical games.

And the companies know it.

Which is why they are pushing an all digital future. Xbox tried real hard in 2013 but gamers bitched too much. Gamers have been quickly coming around since then though…

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GirlUSoCrazy

@mattbbpl: Yeah. Even Ubisoft acknowledges people own their games.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6083 Posts

MS/lems are a disgrace, why anyone would want less options and create a digital monopoly is beyond me. People are stupid enough to pay the same prices for digital as physical and don't even question why digital is the same price, and in my country physical is actually cheaper. Gamers have become too lazy.

I'm well on the way to becoming a retro gamer, i've been future proofing my games collection for the last few years and will have no issues not owning the next generation of consoles.

Give it 20yrs and all games will be started from an app on your tv.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

MS/lems are a disgrace, why anyone would want less options and create a digital monopoly is beyond me. People are stupid enough to pay the same prices for digital as physical and don't even question why digital is the same price, and in my country physical is actually cheaper. Gamers have become too lazy.

I'm well on the way to becoming a retro gamer, i've been future proofing my games collection for the last few years and will have no issues not owning the next generation of consoles.

No, no you're not becoming a retro gamer. You will become a cow like you were destined to become, and as i've told you previously, you're welcomed with open arms. Sony is the future.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mattbbpl

@ghostofgolden: Correct.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mattbbpl

@Stevo_the_gamer: lol, I bought one today.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

No, no you're not becoming a retro gamer. You will become a cow like you were destined to become, and as i've told you previously, you're welcomed with open arms. Sony is the future.

Let's not pretend that Sony/cows aren't a disgrace when it comes to digital. 60% of cows are buying digital, and Sony are currently being taken to court for not allowing retailers to sell digital games codes in certain countries which means everyone has to buy from Sony's storefront and thus creating a digital monopoly. Not only that, but Sony are being taken to court in the UK for selling digital games and dlc at what is claimed inflated prices.

Anyone who thinks a digital only future is good aren't very bright.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Let's not pretend that Sony/cows aren't a disgrace when it comes to digital. 60% of cows are buying digital, and Sony are currently being taken to court for not allowing retailers to sell digital games codes in certain countries which means everyone has to buy from Sony's storefront and thus creating a digital monopoly. Not only that, but Sony are being taken to court in the UK for selling digital games and dlc at what is claimed inflated prices.

I am a cow, and i don't buy digital at all. Tons of us have this mindset, so physical ain't going anywhere. Sony is a safe home.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Warm_Gun

@girlusocrazy said:

@warm_gun: You could even put the discs in a binder with sleeves to further reduce the space required.

Absolutely disgusting for scratching the discs over time, reducing collectors value and making it take far longer to find one.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

I am a cow, and i don't buy digital at all. Tons of us have this mindset, so physical ain't going anywhere. Sony is a safe home.

The lawsuits against Sony over 2 different digital situations proves otherwise.

The only "safe" home is retro. You will realise this sooner or later.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

The lawsuits against Sony over 2 different digital situations proves otherwise.

The only "safe" home is retro. You will realise this sooner or later.

I will leave gaming before i go retro. I want the next big thing, something wasn't possible 10 years ago, and not some 2d side scroller from 87.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GirlUSoCrazy

@warm_gun: I think blu-rays have a durable scratch resistant coating that is unlike DVDs and CDs.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Warm_Gun

@girlusocrazy said:

@warm_gun: I think blu-rays have a durable scratch resistant coating that is unlike DVDs and CDs.

Doesn't matter. Sliding them across plastic over and over still scratches and causes read errors over time. Disc sleeves are horrible.