Official NFL 2013 Season discussion thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

@Put_in_Kitna said:

@Seabas989 said:

I'm 5-1 in my fantasy league and in 1st place.

Good job not drafting any Redskin players.

Romo got me 8 freaking points and Murry did about the same before getting hurt. I started Romo I thought he'd blow us up after last weeks game. Still won though even though that and megatron and Graham got me a combined 2 points...

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#152 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@Put_in_Kitna said:

BTW skin fans I saw protesters at the boys game with signs calling Snyder a racist and what not. I laughed at them for you, you are welcome.

Funny that people care about changing the name when the team was winning. Where were the cries when the team sucked these past 20+ years?

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@Seabas989: People have been complaining about it for decades. It's a racial slur, and idiots defending it are doing this in the name of protecting what they've been used to and doesn't want it to change. It's an awful name. Get over it.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#154 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

l can't believe the Giants are 0-6.

Hopefully they finish the job and get the number 1 pick. Jerry Reese is awful. All his stupid needless risk taking and gambles have finally crippled the team. He needs to go after this year.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

@Seabas989: People have been complaining about it for decades. It's a racial slur, and idiots defending it are doing this in the name of protecting what they've been used to and doesn't want it to change. It's an awful name. Get over it.

A fucking men

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#156 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@Seabas989 said:

@Put_in_Kitna said:

@Seabas989 said:

Yeah I always felt drafting players from your favorite team can backfire, especially when the Qb is recovering from a serious knee injury.

I also have no cowgirls, eagles, and giants players in my team lol.

Meh... I have DeSean Jackson in one league and Hakeem Nicks in the other with Vick in both. I also have Mason Crosby in one (picked him up since he's been hot all season) and the Packers in the other. I'm 8-4 overall (3-3, 5-1) after today. I lost in one due to opponent having Vernon Davis. >_>

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By The-Apostle

@Chutebox said:

@Put_in_Kitna said:

@Seabas989 said:

Romo got me 8 freaking points and Murry did about the same before getting hurt. I started Romo I thought he'd blow us up after last weeks game. Still won though even though that and megatron and Graham got me a combined 2 points...

I started Brees with Vick hurt because of how well he's done against the Patriots throughout his career.

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

The native people who were protesting had red skin color. I mean, it was pretty accurate. I thought it owned.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

there's ne reason they need to keep it. just change the name and move on...why keep having this come up?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Chutebox

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

there's ne reason they need to keep it. just change the name and move on...why keep having this come up?

Because they shouldn't cave in to stupid shit? The name was not a slur, idiots thought it was a slur later on in life. It refers to the fucking paint of the native americans and represented strength and put fear into other. But now we have this fucking country run and inhabited by a bunch of fucking pussies that want to be offended by everything.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 starwarsjunky

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

Because they shouldn't cave in to stupid shit? The name was not a slur, idiots thought it was a slur later on in life. It refers to the fucking paint of the native americans and represented strength and put fear into other. But now we have this fucking country run and inhabited by a bunch of fucking pussies that want to be offended by everything.

meanings of words change. if something becomes offensive, it should be changed.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Chutebox

@starwarsjunky said:

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

No thanks, that's just stupid.

And like people have stated, (copy/paste) Many others believe that the name is a positive reference to the culture of Native Americans. Many Redskins fans say that it is a reference to the strength and courage of Native Americans. This is just silly.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 starwarsjunky

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

And like people have stated, (copy/paste) Many others believe that the name is a positive reference to the culture of Native Americans. Many Redskins fans say that it is a reference to the strength and courage of Native Americans. This is just silly.

but if its offensive to the very people that they're trying to honor, why keep it? :?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#164 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

???

And where in my posts did I say it is nor isn't racist? Anyways when the Skins were 3-6 I didn't see any outcry for the name to be changed especially by the media. Only times I saw an outcry were some Native American group going to court over it and they lost.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Chutebox

@starwarsjunky said:

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@Chutebox said:

@starwarsjunky said:

@RevanBITW said:

but if its offensive to the very people that they're trying to honor, why keep it? :?

Most Native Americans are not offended by it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Chutebox

"“And I think what you have to do is look at where the term Redskin was originated. There’s some that give the term Redskins a negative connotation to indicate that it was created by the white man, to offend the Indians. But in reality, the term Redskins came from the Indians. And they referred to themselves often times, in treaty negotiations and meetings with the early settlers, as Redskins."

This is from a former Chief from a tribe.

Also this, "“And we believe that that was a reason for that. We use a bug repellant, for lack of a better term, that was made up of animal fat and the dye of the Puccoon plant. And coincidentally, the Puccoon dye, when it’s crushed and dyed, is red. And so for years, the Indian people were rubbing this red dye into their skin. And some of the other early settlers remarked that their skin turns red. So, was that a comment meant to denigrate the Indian people? I don’t think so. I don’t think the name was created by George Preston Marshall to be offensive.”

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

@Chutebox said:

"“And I think what you have to do is look at where the term Redskin was originated. There’s some that give the term Redskins a negative connotation to indicate that it was created by the white man, to offend the Indians. But in reality, the term Redskins came from the Indians. And they referred to themselves often times, in treaty negotiations and meetings with the early settlers, as Redskins."

This is from a former Chief from a tribe.

I agree with the general premise that the name doesn't need to be changed but this is a pretty weak argument. You wouldn't use the term negro to describe a black person today because it was the preferred term of civil rights leaders 40-50 years ago. I'll defend the name choice in general though, its has 80-years of history and shouldn't be taken with any offensive meaning in he context of it being a football team's name.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Chutebox

@Boston_Boyy: We call them black, which is the color of their skin.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 The-Apostle

@Chutebox said:

@Boston_Boyy: We call them black, which is the color of their skin.

Pretty much this.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

@Chutebox: Well right yeah, I don't there are any reasonable people who get offended by the term black today. But I do think you'd like to avoid the term negro (or colored for that matter) even though it was completely socially acceptable not very long ago. Redskin is in a similar situation, at one point it was a completely socially acceptable term, but you probably wouldn't use it today to directly refer to a group of people. I do think however that in the context of football, Redskins doesn't need to be changed as its a historical nickname, rather than a slur that's targeted at hurting people.

My point being context is important, Redskins definitely isn't always an okay thing to say just because of the way we talked 80 years ago. There's a pretty significant difference if I said today: "RG3 is a Redskin" and "South Dakota is full of Redskins".

GotFiveRings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By GotFiveRings
Member since 2009 • 641 Posts

You people disgust me. The term is SO racist, I hear it used on a daily basis to describe pocahontas.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Chutebox

@GotFiveRings said:

You people disgust me. The term is SO racist, I hear it used on a daily basis to describe pocahontas.

Pocahontas is hot. That's a Redskin I'd get with!

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 RevanBITW

>Commits genocide on Native Americans

>Makes up names such as Indians and Redskins to describe them

>''Honors'' them through football

Am I missing something?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Chutebox

@RevanBITW said:

Am I missing something?

Yes, white man didn't make up the name Redskin. Native Americans did. Kinda kills the whole argument, should at least. But I know it won't.

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

Am I missing something?

You think Braves is offensive?

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By RevanBITW

@Chutebox: Black people often calls eachother the N-word. White people saying it changes it's meaning, we all understand that. And I doubt it would be ok to call a team like it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Chutebox

@RevanBITW said:

@Chutebox: Black people often calls eachother the N-word. White people saying it changes it's meaning, we all understand that. And I doubt it would be ok to call a team like it.

Except it wasn't their skin color, but the paint NA were wearing at the time.

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 36Ounces

I think it's funny that natives are comin out now sayin they're offended. Never heard this bs before and the name been there a long time. I like the stance of the Skins owner on this.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 RevanBITW

@36Ounces: I still find it stupid that they pretend to honor a people they've massacred, but at least it's not a derogatory name.

@Chutebox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang) : ''A linguistic analysis of books published between 1875 and 1930 show an increasingly negative context in the use of redskin, often in association with "dirty", "lying", etc.; while benign or positive usage such as "noble" redskin were used in a condescending manner.[9] The term continued in common use until the 1960s, as evidenced in Western movies, but is now largely considered a pejorative and is seldom used publicly (aside from the football team - see below). As with any term perceived to be discriminatory, different individuals may hold differing opinions of the term's appropriateness.''

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By starwarsjunky

If it doesn't offend everybody, its clearly not a problem!!!

As long as there's exceptions, its fine!

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 36Ounces

They massacred huh? Could of swore that happened way back in the day. Not derogatory how it's used here, they need to get over it.

@RevanBITW said:

@36Ounces: I still find it stupid that they pretend to honor a people they've massacred, but at least it's not a derogatory name.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Chutebox

@starwarsjunky said:

If it doesn't offend everybody, its clearly not a problem!!!

As long as there's exceptions, its fine!

You really don't see how that can be said about you? Serious? If it offends one persons, IT MUST BE CHANGED! Get the **** over it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Chutebox

@RevanBITW said:

@Chutebox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang) : ''A linguistic analysis of books published between 1875 and 1930 show an increasingly negative context in the use of redskin, often in association with "dirty", "lying", etc.; while benign or positive usage such as "noble" redskin were used in a condescending manner.[9] The term continued in common use until the 1960s, as evidenced in Western movies, but is now largely considered a pejorative and is seldom used publicly (aside from the football team - see below). As with any term perceived to be discriminatory, different individuals may hold differing opinions of the term's appropriateness.''

Ya, saw that too. Which is why I looked further and found the stuff from the actual former Chief who explained other things.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

Would a team name like the Pasadena pale folk be offensive?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Redskins is a dumb name anyways. They should change it to something cool like the Tomahawks or some other cool Native American theme.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 DaJuicyMan

Or how about the New York goldsteins? the logo can just be some old bald guy with a massive nose and some bling. My jewish friend says its not offensive

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Chutebox

Loving all the people acting offended now.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 DaJuicyMan

@Chutebox:

word. fvcking wusses

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By RevanBITW

Yeah! Man up and accept racial slurs! Like a real man!...?????

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Chutebox

@RevanBITW said:

Yeah! Man up and accept racial slurs! Like a real man!...?????

It's not a racial slur. I've already shown why it isn't. Done deal.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

They should drop the Washington from their name as its an insult to the founding father.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By RevanBITW

@Chutebox: How does invalidate the fact that Redskin has been used as a slur for a long time?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Chutebox

@RevanBITW said:

@Chutebox: How does invalidate the fact that Redskin has been used as a slur for a long time?

I have never once heard anyone use the word Redskin as a slur, have you? Because some people might have used it as a slur a shit load of years ago doesn't mean every other logical person should use it or think of it like that.

Do you think the word gay is in some way negative? Because people use it as an insult to call people stupid. Maybe we should stop using the word gay, too?

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 RevanBITW

@Chutebox: People aren't using it anymore because they've been practically wiped out. lmao

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Chutebox

@RevanBITW said:

@Chutebox: People aren't using it anymore because they've been practically wiped out. lmao

Harsh lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#196 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

@mems_1224: according to some anything associated with native americans is racist so obviously something like the Braves is super offensive.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By The-Apostle

Ugh... Packers put Cobb on short-term IR and Van Rotten on IR. Then they promoted Myles White (who was impressive during preseason, waiting to see if he's better than Boykin) and Jake Stonebumer who can't seem to find the end zone when he's five yards out. Regular Sanchez there... >_>

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#198 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Irsay is a d-bag.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9830976/john-fox-calls-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-cheap-shot

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 DaJuicyMan
@sherman-tank1 said:

Irsay is a d-bag.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9830976/john-fox-calls-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-cheap-shot

hes right tho.

GotFiveRings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 GotFiveRings
Member since 2009 • 641 Posts

Irsay is a big meanie. Why would he say that about the best QB ever?