NHL playoffs discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts

Current playoff info can be found here.

califone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 califone
Member since 2008 • 302 Posts

I'm hoping Washington makes the cut. I definitely want to see Ovechkin on fire in playoffs. Other than that, I'll be directing most of my attention to Dallas.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#3 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts

Still a chance for the Rangers to move to the 4 spot or fall back. 3 games remaining against teams that always give them problems - back to back vs Islanders and at New Jersey.

InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts

Still a chance for the Rangers to move to the 4 spot or fall back. 3 games remaining against teams that always give them problems - back to back vs Islanders and at New Jersey.

mrgab

The Devils give them problems? Dude, they're 7-0 against the Devils this year!!! I'm very confident going into that game!

They need only ONE win to get into the post season, and I bet they'll do it tomorrow night! I hope the Rangers calls up Gratton, we're gonna need someone to be enforcer, because Orr is out, against an Islanders team thats hell bent on trying to ruin our season.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrgab
[QUOTE="mrgab"]

InterpolWilco

The Devils give them problems? Dude, they're 7-0 against the Devils this year!!! I'm very confident going into that game!

They need only ONE win to get into the post season, and I bet they'll do it tomorrow night! I hope the Rangers calls up Gratton, we're gonna need someone to be enforcer, because Orr is out, against an Islanders team thats hell bent on trying to ruin our season.

Devils have in the past and if he plays.... Broduer. Could be a matchup too for who gets the home ice advantage between these teams as they are currently set to meet up. 4 vs 5 seeds.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Ottawa is a complete joke. When the season started there was talk of them possibly setting the regular season record for wins, now they're barely holding on for a playoff spot. I think they made a huge mistake in not trading for a goalie at the deadline.

I really hope Washington makes the playoffs, they deserve it.

And as for my favourite team, the Maple Leafs, they've clinched the top spot in the east. 8) ... :cry:
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
Avs clinched last night with a 4-2 win over the Canucks. They still have an outside shot at the division, so they are either getting the 6th, 7th, or 3rd seed. We'll find out on Thursday when Calgary and Minnesota play.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blackngold29
I really hope Washington makes the playoffs, they deserve it.UssjTrunks
Why, because they have one good player?
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Avs clinched last night with a 4-2 win over the Canucks. They still have an outside shot at the division, so they are either getting the 6th, 7th, or 3rd seed. We'll find out on Thursday when Calgary and Minnesota play.Bobbles

the forsberg re-signing was brilliant. avs are 7-1 with him in the lineup, and he has 11 points in 8 games. if he and others can get/stay healthy, the avs are going to be dangerous in the playoffs.

Nshadow23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Nshadow23
Member since 2008 • 416 Posts
Washington is going to make it and I think that Montreal and Detroit will win their conference.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

[QUOTE="Bobbles"]Avs clinched last night with a 4-2 win over the Canucks. They still have an outside shot at the division, so they are either getting the 6th, 7th, or 3rd seed. We'll find out on Thursday when Calgary and Minnesota play.romocop33

the forsberg re-signing was brilliant. avs are 7-1 with him in the lineup, and he has 11 points in 8 games. if he and others can get/stay healthy, the avs are going to be dangerous in the playoffs.

Yah im happy the avs finally clinched the playoff spot, i just hope we don't have to play the sharks though. Avs will be dangerous in the playoffs like you said, going to be exciting.

Yeah but i do hope Washington gets a playoff spot, i think that OV deserves a chance at the stanley cup, the way he has played this year, as well as Huet's goaltending as of late, in fact the whole team has picked it up the last month and half. Plus i want to see how well OV does under playoff pressure.

romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
[QUOTE="romocop33"]

[QUOTE="Bobbles"]Avs clinched last night with a 4-2 win over the Canucks. They still have an outside shot at the division, so they are either getting the 6th, 7th, or 3rd seed. We'll find out on Thursday when Calgary and Minnesota play.hockey73

Yah im happy the avs finally clinched the playoff spot, i just hope we don't have to play the sharks though. Avs will be dangerous in the playoffs like you said, going to be exciting.

Yeah but i do hope Washington gets a playoff spot, i think that OV deserves a chance at the stanley cup, the way he has played this year, as well as Huet's goaltending as of late, in fact the whole team has picked it up the last month and half. Plus i want to see how well OV does under playoff pressure.

i'd like to see Sakic, Foppa, and Foote have one more go-around with the Red Wings at some point in the playoffs.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hockey73

[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]I really hope Washington makes the playoffs, they deserve it.blackngold29

i just have to bring this up, what do you have against Ovechkin? doesn't seem like you like him very much.

anyway, Washington deserves to make the playoffs based on the way the WHOLE team has played in the last month and a half.

InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 InterpolWilco
[QUOTE="InterpolWilco"][QUOTE="mrgab"]

mrgab

Devils have in the past and if he plays.... Broduer. Could be a matchup too for who gets the home ice advantage between these teams as they are currently set to meet up. 4 vs 5 seeds.

In the past, but not this year. We've been beating them up all year.

And surprisingly, we actually do well against Broduer.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blackngold29
Pens just won their division, on four-PP goals, against Philly. Crosby scored a "behind-the-back, between the legs" redirect to seal it.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blackngold29

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]I really hope Washington makes the playoffs, they deserve it.hockey73

i just have to bring this up, what do you have against Ovechkin? doesn't seem like you like him very much.

anyway, Washington deserves to make the playoffs based on the way the WHOLE team has played in the last month and a half.

I don't have anything against Ovechkin, I just don't like people saying that he's better than Crosby and Malkin, without giving a reason. Offensively they're all extremely close, but Ovechkin just doesn't play defense as well, or as much as Crosby or Malkin.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
I hope the Caps make it. Can you imagine a first round matchup of Pens vs. Caps?
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I honestly don't care about the NHL, but I hope the Bruins make it just because. They stand no chance in the playoffs, but I still want them to make it.
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
[QUOTE="hockey73"][QUOTE="romocop33"]

[QUOTE="Bobbles"]Avs clinched last night with a 4-2 win over the Canucks. They still have an outside shot at the division, so they are either getting the 6th, 7th, or 3rd seed. We'll find out on Thursday when Calgary and Minnesota play.romocop33

i'd like to see Sakic, Foppa, and Foote have one more go-around with the Red Wings at some point in the playoffs.

Yeah, that'd be great. Oh and I'm not worried about the Shakrs, they are "favored" to win the cup like what, 3 years in a row now? They always end up choking, no need to worry about them. Avs can take them.
califone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 califone
[QUOTE="hockey73"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]I really hope Washington makes the playoffs, they deserve it.blackngold29

I don't have anything against Ovechkin, I just don't like people saying that he's better than Crosby and Malkin, without giving a reason. Offensively they're all extremely close, but Ovechkin just doesn't play defense as well, or as much as Crosby or Malkin.

Homer. You are mixing up Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. While I wish Kovy had some defense to his game, #8 does indeed know how to play it. You can't argue with his goal-scoring prowess. He also does have a bit of playmaking ability as well. How can you say they only have one good player? Semin, Backstrom, Green, Federov and Huet beg to differ.

Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts

I hope the Caps make it. Can you imagine a first round matchup of Pens vs. Caps? CJL182

That would be cool but the Caps will probably end up in 3rd in east becuaswe the will win their division hopefully.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
I am so proud of my habs. Lets go all the way baby!!!
lilhomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 lilhomes
Member since 2004 • 462 Posts

Go Wild! Hoping they can clinch tonight

ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
[QUOTE="hockey73"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]I really hope Washington makes the playoffs, they deserve it.blackngold29

You got it all wrong. Ovechkin can actually play defense very well, a lot better than Crosby and Malken. Yeah, I do think Ovechkin is better than Crosby and Malken. Why, he's a better player all around. He can score, can pass, can play DEFENSE and has a very good attitude and always keeps his chin up. He goes in the corners, very hard to push him off the puck and he checks.

InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 InterpolWilco
[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="hockey73"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]I really hope Washington makes the playoffs, they deserve it.ForsbergFan21

You got it all wrong. Ovechkin can actually play defense very well, a lot better than Crosby and Malken. Yeah, I do think Ovechkin is better than Crosby and Malken. Why, he's a better player all around. He can score, can pass, can play DEFENSE and has a very good attitude and always keeps his chin up. He goes in the corners, very hard to push him off the puck and he checks.

Definitely has a better attitude than Crosby. Crosby is VERY whiney. Great player, loads of talent, but man oh man is he a crybaby sometimes. Even the announcers will acknowledge it.

Anyways, HOW BOUT THEM RANGERS!!! They clinched tonight, AND Henrik Lundqvist will end the season with Most Shutouts.

POTVIN SUCKS! Go Rangers!

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
It is nice to see a lot of these divisional games toward the end of the season.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hockey73

It is nice to see a lot of these divisional games toward the end of the season.duxup

lol 10 in a row(i think, maybe 9) for the Avalanche. makes points matter that much more though since the northwest division is so tight.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrgab
Rangers clinched. Just hold onto that 5th seed with 2 games left.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 duxup

[QUOTE="duxup"]It is nice to see a lot of these divisional games toward the end of the season.hockey73

lol 10 in a row(i think, maybe 9) for the Avalanche. makes points matter that much more though since the northwest division is so tight.

Yup. It is crazy how many of these games there are late. If you're at all in contention you can really plow your way up the standings fast, or drop like a rock. It really cranks up the intensity.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blackngold29
Definitely has a better attitude than Crosby. Crosby is VERY whiney. Great player, loads of talent, but man oh man is he a crybaby sometimes. Even the announcers will acknowledge it.InterpolWilco
How is Crosby a whiner? They had a reel of atleast five cheap shots that he took after Wednesday's game, none were called as penalties. He almost got into a fight, I wish the refs would let him go with someone. Just because he draws a lot of penatlties doesn't automatically make him "protected by the NHL", he's just good, people can't keep up with him, so they have to rely on illegal doings to try to stay with him.
InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 InterpolWilco

[QUOTE="InterpolWilco"]Definitely has a better attitude than Crosby. Crosby is VERY whiney. Great player, loads of talent, but man oh man is he a crybaby sometimes. Even the announcers will acknowledge it.blackngold29
How is Crosby a whiner? They had a reel of atleast five cheap shots that he took after Wednesday's game, none were called as penalties. He almost got into a fight, I wish the refs would let him go with someone. Just because he draws a lot of penatlties doesn't automatically make him "protected by the NHL", he's just good, people can't keep up with him, so they have to rely on illegal doings to try to stay with him.

I'm not taking anything away from him as a player though.

Yes I do believe he gets a lot of calls in his favor that aren't. Like cross checking ALL NIGHT against the Rangers and not ONE call.

He's like Mario Lemieux. Great player, big whiner. No one really denies this.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 duxup

Go Wild! Hoping they can clinch tonight

lilhomes

They got it, good game.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blackngold29

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="InterpolWilco"]Definitely has a better attitude than Crosby. Crosby is VERY whiney. Great player, loads of talent, but man oh man is he a crybaby sometimes. Even the announcers will acknowledge it.InterpolWilco

Yes I do believe he gets a lot of calls in his favor that aren't. Like cross checking ALL NIGHT against the Rangers and not ONE call.

I still don't see how that makes him a whiner. The refs call penalties, not him, if they call some to protect him or whatever, he can't control that. I've never heard him say, "Holy cow, what horrible refs." Sounds like you have more of a problem with the refs than Crosby.

I'm not saying your wrong there have been some plays that probably should've been called on him, but almost every game (most notably Flyers and Islanders) he get cheap-shotted atleast once, penalty or not it's still dangerous.

califone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 califone
I still don't see how that makes him a whiner. The refs call penalties, not him, if they call some to protect him or whatever, he can't control that. I've never heard him say, "Holy cow, what horrible refs." Sounds like you have more of a problem with the refs than Crosby.

I'm not saying your wrong there have been some plays that probably should've been called on him, but almost every game (most notably Flyers and Islanders) he get cheap-shotted atleast once, penalty or not it's still dangerous.

blackngold29

You'll blindly accuse Ovechkin of being a one-dimensional player, but you'll get upset about Crosby being called a whiner? Most people viewed him as a crybaby in his first year and that has lived on, tough. Kovalchuk had a reputation for diving and that lives on. It happens.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blackngold29
[QUOTE="blackngold29"]I still don't see how that makes him a whiner. The refs call penalties, not him, if they call some to protect him or whatever, he can't control that. I've never heard him say, "Holy cow, what horrible refs." Sounds like you have more of a problem with the refs than Crosby.

califone

You'll blindly accuse Ovechkin of being a one-dimensional player, but you'll get upset about Crosby being called a whiner? Most people viewed him as a crybaby in his first year and that has lived on, tough. Kovalchuk had a reputation for diving and that lives on. It happens.

I'm not calling anyone anything blindly, you show me how Ovechkin plays more/better defense than Malkin or Crosby. It ain't gonna happen.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hockey73

Caps control their destiny finally, OV needs to step up like hes done all year. although i have a feeling whatever team loses is going to get blown out.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blackngold29
I edited the OP, can't get much more down to the wire than this.
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
Looks like the playoff picture is pretty much set, except for top seed in the East!
fws831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fws831
Member since 2003 • 848 Posts

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="InterpolWilco"]Definitely has a better attitude than Crosby. Crosby is VERY whiney. Great player, loads of talent, but man oh man is he a crybaby sometimes. Even the announcers will acknowledge it.InterpolWilco

mario lemieux was in no way a big whiner, if thats what ur saying

gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts
[QUOTE="hockey73"]

I actually think Ovechkin is better than Crosby and Malkin, and Ovechkin can play defense too.

His goal scoring abilities are amazing...The closest player next to him in that category has 13 goals fewer than Ovie. And he's not that bad of a playmaker either...And from the games I've seen of both Pittsburgh and Washington, Ovechkin can hitvery well, a lot better than Crosby.

You do not acknowledge the contributions of Backstrom, Green, Semin, and Huet when he got traded. I guess they are not good enough...

Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts
both Philly teams clinched yestarday, the Sixers (basketball) and of course the Flyers.
InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 InterpolWilco
[QUOTE="InterpolWilco"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="InterpolWilco"]Definitely has a better attitude than Crosby. Crosby is VERY whiney. Great player, loads of talent, but man oh man is he a crybaby sometimes. Even the announcers will acknowledge it.fws831

mario lemieux was in no way a big whiner, if thats what ur saying

In his early years he had a BIG reputation for being a whiner. He would complain about "people grabbing him and hitting him all the time."

But yah know what, so was Wayne Gretzky.

I'm not taking away anything in terms of skill. Amazing Players. But yeah, they were whiners (ESPECIALLY Gretzky).

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CJL182
It's official, Ovechkin and the Caps win the SE Division and get the third seed. You want a Cinderella story, you got it.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
It's official, Ovechkin and the Caps win the SE Division and get the third seed. You want a Cinderella story, you got it.CJL182

Too bad they get Ottawa in the first round.
Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bauers-Twin
so Flyers get the Penguins the 1st round, PHilly can beat those guys.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blackngold29
so Flyers get the Penguins the 1st round, PHilly can beat those guys.Bauers-Twin
They still gotta play on Sunday. Looks like they have a chance to play each other nine straight games.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts

[QUOTE="CJL182"]It's official, Ovechkin and the Caps win the SE Division and get the third seed. You want a Cinderella story, you got it.UssjTrunks

Washington owned them in the season series, I don't know how it would be too bad for them...

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CJL182

[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"][QUOTE="CJL182"]It's official, Ovechkin and the Caps win the SE Division and get the third seed. You want a Cinderella story, you got it.gameeer1

Washington owned them in the season series, I don't know how it would be too bad for them...

Yup, I really like Washington's chances against Ottawa if Philly loses tomorrow. Ottawa is completely backing into the playoffs, and their record is terrible without Alfie, who's supposed to be out for "weeks" along with Mike Fisher. Washington has been playing playoff hockey for weeks, Ottawa has not.

Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bauers-Twin
Philly won and will dominate the sucky Capitals.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hockey73

Philly won and will dominate the sucky Capitals.Bauers-Twin

lol...we will see.