Giants beat Royals 3-2. Win 3rd World Series in 5 years.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

The umps doing whatever they can to try and help the Blue Jays this game. Two strike-outs given to them by balls inches out of the strike zone being called strikes for strike 3, and now they threw out Ausmus for getting angry in the Tigers dugout.

Tigers still up 4-0 at least, but this shit gets really old...

The way your boys are playing, they might not even make the playoffs ha... #Royaltakeover

More like the way our bullpen is playing we might not make the playoffs...

Ridiculous that we are dealing with the EXACT SAME issue we had last year that got us knocked out of the playoffs...

Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252  Edited By Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

All Cali world series this year imma predict with the A's vs. Dodgers. I'll agree with my homeboy 36 oz and say Oakland will be the last one standing.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@Master_Live:

There going to vote a new commissioner Thursday and ESPN's Mike Greenberg gave his 4 ideas that baseball if he was voted.

1. Speed up the game by putting a shot clock for pitchers. If clocks run out, ball. However, once the batter is in the bat box, he can step out or he will get a strike.

2. Market their superstars such as Mike Trout like the NFL/NBA market their stars to appeal to younger demographic.

3. PED issues(Less emphasis or just move on from it)

4. Reinstate Pete Rose

For now I comment on his 1st 2 ideas.

I do agree that baseball needs to speed up the game, however, I can understand from at least from a pitcher perspective that they pretty much need to reset themselves.

Its safe to say a lot of young people don't know a lot of the new players like Trout, Kershew, Puig, Sale etc. They do simply have to do a better job exposing these players.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#254  Edited By Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

I don't understand the third idea. PEDs may never be completely out of the sport entirely, the league has come a long way in removing them from the game. I know it's easy to cynically write that off and believe it's as bad as ever, but if look around the league today there's a reason we don't see players built like Barry Bonds and hitting 60, or even 50, homers a year. It's true that fans generally enjoy offense, but there are other ways you can add that to the game without allowing PEDs, which I think would turn off a large portion of the fanbase.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 PSP107

@Boston_Boyy said:

which I think would turn off a large portion of the fanbase.

Well I'll have re-watch on what he said about PEDs. But another thing people bring up about baseball is that average fan is in his/her 50's.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 Boston_Boyy

Right, and people that age (and up) are probably the most adamant against it, so it makes even less sense. The one easy set of ideas I think could be easily implemented would be a series of proposals that speed-up the game, such as:

• A pitch clock that begins when the pitcher receives the ball from the catcher, the length of which is a little longer if a player is on base.
  • Limits on how often a batter can step outside of the batters box, by my own admission some Red Sox players such as Dustin Pedroia are the worst about this.
  • Limits on the number of managerial and catcher mound visits, particularly those that don't result in a pitching change.

I think all of these things could speed up the game without resulting in any noticeable performance dip if done properly. Some apologists might say baseball moves at its own pace or something like that, but I don't buy it. Games today (2014) are about 20 minutes than they were 10 years ago (2004), and that's despite a fairly pretty significant dip in offense (see: 60 point drop in league OPS) in that time period.

As far as the marketing aspect goes it's much easier said than done, largely due to the fact that baseball culture itself is against embracing superstardom. In the NFL it's considered cool to be in commercials, be active on social media, have a public life outside the sport, embrace up and coming stars, show some flash, etc. All of which seem to be fairly frowned and dealt with beaning (something else I think needs to end) in baseball; remember how 'controversial' Bryce Harper was coming up?

Besides it's harder in baseball than other sports to market stars, you watch the average NBA game and the Lebron James and Kevin Durants of the world market themselves with what they do on the court by dominating the action and producing a steady flow of highlight reel plays. Baseball doesn't have that, no matter how great or exciting a player might be, their impact on a game-to-game basis just isn't ever going to be as high as it is for superstars in other sports. There's also issues with the fact that many of MLB stars speak very little English, which while understandable given the conditions they grew up in, limits their ability to interact or reach out to the average fan.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 LostProphetFLCL

Ugh so sick of Joe Nathan. Even when he actually closes out a game he makes an ass of himself.

Glad the Tigers got a win again, especially after an AWFUL call earlier in the game that gave the Pirates an undeserved run on the board....

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 PSP107

@Boston_Boyy said:

Right, and people that age (and up) are probably the most adamant against it, so it makes even less sense. The one easy set of ideas I think could be easily implemented would be a series of proposals that speed-up the game, such as:

• A pitch clock that begins when the pitcher receives the ball from the catcher, the length of which is a little longer if a player is on base.
  • Limits on how often a batter can step outside of the batters box, by my own admission some Red Sox players such as Dustin Pedroia are the worst about this.
  • Limits on the number of managerial and catcher mound visits, particularly those that don't result in a pitching change.

I think all of these things could speed up the game without resulting in any noticeable performance dip if done properly. Some apologists might say baseball moves at its own pace or something like that, but I don't buy it. Games today (2014) are about 20 minutes than they were 10 years ago (2004), and that's despite a fairly pretty significant dip in offense (see: 60 point drop in league OPS) in that time period.

As far as the marketing aspect goes it's much easier said than done, largely due to the fact that baseball culture itself is against embracing superstardom. In the NFL it's considered cool to be in commercials, be active on social media, have a public life outside the sport, embrace up and coming stars, show some flash, etc. All of which seem to be fairly frowned and dealt with beaning (something else I think needs to end) in baseball; remember how 'controversial' Bryce Harper was coming up?

Besides it's harder in baseball than other sports to market stars, you watch the average NBA game and the Lebron James and Kevin Durants of the world market themselves with what they do on the court by dominating the action and producing a steady flow of highlight reel plays. Baseball doesn't have that, no matter how great or exciting a player might be, their impact on a game-to-game basis just isn't ever going to be as high as it is for superstars in other sports. There's also issues with the fact that many of MLB stars speak very little English, which while understandable given the conditions they grew up in, limits their ability to interact or reach out to the average fan.

What will be the penalty if someone actually commits it? I mean baseball does technically have a rule where pitchers must pitch n a certain amount of time, but its not enforce.

Baseball does have a lot latin stars that don't speak English, however, I'll argue that in the US, the Latin community just continue to grow. Baseball can market their Latin players to Latin communities. I also will point out that Mike Trout, Kershaw, Mchuchen, Chris Sale, Bryce Harper are pretty much US born Americans.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#259 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Regarding your points:

1. Gotta say, I personally don't mind the time lenght but I understand how that is a problem for TV broadcasters and short attention span fans. You can play with different rules in the Minors until you find the right set of rules to implement in the Majors.
  2. Sure, even if don't know what specifically they can do differently.
  3. Lets go with Olympic testing and lets adopt a policy that on a 2nd positive test the team gets the option to void the contract.
  4. No.
Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Boston_Boyy

Rob Manfred elected new commissioner, sounds like a safe is unspectacular selection. Would be surprised if we saw any major reforms, at least immediately

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 PSP107

@Master_Live:

Oh these weren't my points. And what's your beef with Rose? You weren't born in his era.

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

I'm not sure who I think will win it all anymore. Really liking how those KC boys have been playing lately tho. If I had a 2nd fav MLB team they'd be it right now for sure.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

Porcello back to his awesome self after a rocky game last outing. 3rd complete game shut-out of the season!

RodneyCourts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#264 RodneyCourts
Member since 2014 • 66 Posts

Waiting to watch Dallas Cowboys in the next season. This season I don't satisfy with their performance. Hope they will do their best in the next.

ManBearPuig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 ManBearPuig
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts

An easy way to speed up the game would be no stepping out of the box. When you're in, you're in. None of this stepping out to adjust batting gloves and stuff. You look over to the coach for the sign in the time it takes for the catcher to throw the ball back to the pitcher. Baseball games would go MUCH faster with this one little change, seriously. You don't need to adjust your gloves after a swing, if you do they weren't on correctly in the first place.

Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

Maybe Ron can now live his dream of snorting mountains of coke like Scarface. Good riddance you pos!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Master_Live

MLB releases 2015 schedule

"The regular season is to end Oct. 4, which means the World Series would be scheduled to start Oct. 28 if the current postseason format is maintained. A seventh game would be Nov. 5 under that format."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pieces of shit, and they wonder why the ratings keep falling. SOB's

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By PSP107

@Master_Live said:

MLB releases 2015 schedule

"The regular season is to end Oct. 4, which means the World Series would be scheduled to start Oct. 28 if the current postseason format is maintained. A seventh game would be Nov. 5 under that format."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pieces of shit, and they wonder why the ratings keep falling. SOB's

Baseball is supposed to have the summer all to itself but it seemed the last few years they lost attention to NFL offseason, NBA Free Agency, World Cup, Ray Rice etc. This season is Jeter's last year but it doesn't feels like it from a national standpoint.

But in regards to the Oct-Nov world series, lol, baseball needs to rethink their scheduling.

ManBearPuig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 ManBearPuig

Doesn't matter when the season starts or end to me, I'd still rather watch baseball than Football.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 LostProphetFLCL

Nice to have the Tigers back on top of the division like it should be. Hope they keep this positive momentum going.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By PSP107

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Nice to have the Tigers back on top of the division like it should be. Hope they keep this positive momentum going.

And going by the last few seasons, a division title is all they will earn.

Like it should be.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 LostProphetFLCL

@PSP107 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Like it should be.

U mad bro?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By PSP107

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@PSP107 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Like it should be.

U mad bro?

lol, I think you're the one mad with that response.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 LostProphetFLCL

Wow no lube used tonight against KC. Hopefully the Tigers do the same thing tomorrow and Sunday.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#276 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

Braves fire GM Frank Wren. I'm trying to figure out why Fredi isn't going with him.

ManBearPuig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 ManBearPuig

Kershaw for MVP

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 PSP107

@manbearpuig said:

Pitchers have their own award.

ManBearPuig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By ManBearPuig

@PSP107 said:

@manbearpuig said:

Nowhere in the wording of the MVP award does it say that a pitcher can't win it. Until it does, pitchers can win it.

Kershaw has been the best player in the NL all season long, has an astounding WAR even though he missed 5 weeks. Put him on the Marlins and they would have made the playoffs. He was that good. The Dodgers had an over 80 percent chance of winning any game he pitched in.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Master_Live
@manbearpuig said:

Kershaw for MVP

I'm leaning that way.

@PSP107 said:

@manbearpuig said:

Hitters too.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By Master_Live

De-rek Je-ter!

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Boston_Boyy

Somehow I knew as soon as I saw Jeter hitting third in the ninth that this is exactly how this game would end exactly as it did.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Master_Live

I'm dreading next year. No Torre. No Posada. No Bernie. No Andy. No Mo'. No Jeter.

Is truly then end of an era for the Yankees and baseball.

But hey, at least we got A-Rod!

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#284  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

What a great ending. Stuff of storybook legends.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

God Im going to miss Jeter.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 PSP107

@manbearpuig:

Sure its in the rules. But I agree with the voters when they argue pitchers only play about 30 games of 162. That's a valid argument that prevails. Tell me what other sport can a player win a MVP by playing about 5% of the total season games? Sure I can look it up myself, but what is Kershaw's batting numbers?

@Master_Live :Hitters too.

What do you mean? Hitters play everyday and a batting title isn't a MVP award, So explain where you were going with that.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By Master_Live

@PSP107 said:

@Master_Live :Hitters too.

What do you mean? Hitters play everyday and a batting title isn't a MVP award, So explain where you were going with that.

It is called the Hank Aaron Award, it was created in 1999 (I know, I know).

We already discussed the Hank Aaron Award here:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/general-sports-discussion-909188423/official-2011-mlb-discussion-v-spring-training-10081349/?messageId=13986346&page=11#js-message-548

And we had the whole pitcher vs. hitter MVP discussed (including arguments by you and me) here:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/general-sports-discussion-909188423/mlb-justin-verlander-wins-al-mvp-1st-pitcher-to-wi-10081346/?messageId=13985681#js-message-1

And here:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/general-sports-discussion-909188423/mlb-al-and-mvp-races-wide-open-who-you-got-10081162/?messageId=13980789#js-message-3

And here:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/general-sports-discussion-909188423/official-2011-mlb-discussion-v-spring-training-10081349/?messageId=13986288&page=10#js-message-490

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course that was when this wasn't a ghost town. Either way, I will make an argument for Kershaw even though I have not decided yet who I think should win.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 LostProphetFLCL

Crazy enough I am not even sure Miggy was the best hitter for the Tigers this year. Victor Martinez was arguably better this year, if only by a little.

Guess we'll wait and see how things look once their post-season stretch is done.

ManBearPuig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By ManBearPuig

Kershaw has faced 749 batters. The hitter with the most plate appearances in the NL has 699 at bats. Saying that Kershaw doesn't have as big of an impact is simply not true. He's a great defender, as well.

Also, he leads the NL in wins above replacement and he missed 5 weeks. He has had a once in a lifetime season. This is gonna be the fourth straight year he's led the majors in ERA, which has never been done. He's the best player in the national league. Period.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 PSP107

@Master_Live:

But the Hank award is not the MVP award, It just honors hitters, Almost like the Gold Glove Winners for great defense. Didn't Andrew McChutchen win MVP last year without Being the best NL hitter?

@manbearpuig said:

Kershaw has faced 749 batters. The hitter with the most plate appearances in the NL has 699 at bats. Saying that Kershaw doesn't have as big of an impact is simply not true. He's a great defender, as well.

Also, he leads the NL in wins above replacement and he missed 5 weeks. He has had a once in a lifetime season. This is gonna be the fourth straight year he's led the majors in ERA, which has never been done. He's the best player in the national league. Period.

This is not a good argument because even though he faced more batters, the hitter with the most at bats still played way more games than Kershaw.

lol, a pitcher missing 5 weeks is like missing 5 games, Can I argue a pitcher is also well rested so they can be in a situation where the team's opposing everyday players are already gassed from the previous 2-4 games.

And again what is Kershaw's offense numbers?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#291 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It took a fastball to the face to stop Giancarlo Stanton. Dude is the MVP in my heart.

Kershaw will get it though. Not that it's undeserving in anyway. Guy is a freak of nature.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By Master_Live

@PSP107 said:

@Master_Live:

But the Hank award is not the MVP award, It just honors hitters, Almost like the Gold Glove Winners for great defense. Didn't Andrew McChutchen win MVP last year without Being the best NL hitter?

That is because you are beginning with a false premise. Being the best hitter doesn't necessarily mean you are the Most Valuable Player; and being the Most Valuable Player doesn't necessarily mean you are the best hitter. Stop conflating both.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 Master_Live

Now lets keep in mind that all players, including pitchers and designated hitters, are eligible for the Most Valuable Player award. Of course.

The recipe for a pitcher winning the MVP seems to be the perception of said pitcher having an exceptional season on a year in which it is perceived as no offensive player standing out.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By PSP107

@Master_Live said:

@PSP107 said:

@Master_Live:

and being the Most Valuable Player doesn't necessarily mean you are the best hitter.

Didn't I just reference that?

And yes, pitchers are eligible to win MVP, but the Voters get it right when they don't vote them, Kershew won 21 games but who's responsible for the other wins?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Master_Live

And we might get a 1 game playoffs of the real kind (for a division title) if this happens on Sunday:

• Tigers lose, Royals win: 1 game playoff for the AL Central
  • Cardinals lose, Pirates win: 1 game playoff for the NL Central

and of the lesser kind:

• If the A's lose, Mariners win: 1 game playoffs for an AL Wild Card.

As I have noted before, drawbacks of the new 2 WC system aside, the divisions titles have acquire more importance since you don't want to play in the WC vs. WC game and end your 162 game season in 1 game.

Too bad I won't be able to see any games on Sunday due to a previous engagement :(

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

And the Tigers take the division!

ManBearPuig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By ManBearPuig

Can't wait for the Dodgers to thrash the pathetic redbirds

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Master_Live

MLB Playoff Myths: Beware the Misleading Narratives!

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Boston_Boyy

If we're going to try and do a bracket I'll take:
Wildcard:
AL: Royals over A's
NL: Giants over Pirates

Divisional:
AL: Angels over Royals in 4
Tigers over Orioles in 5

NL: Nationals over Giants in 4
Dodgers of Cardinals in 4

Championship:
AL: Angels over Tigers in 6

NL:
Nationals over Dodgers in 7

World Series:
Angels over Nationals in 6.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By Master_Live

Report: 7th ump added to crews

AL Wild Card Game breakdown: A's vs. Royals

2014 playoff team preview: Kansas City Royals

2014 playoff team preview: Oakland Athletics

Old dogs like SI and Fox Sports have playoffs previews that leave a lot be desire. But I guess that is better than nothing.