Why did MGS4 get a 10.0 ?

• 189 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

User Lists: 0

#1 TheAcejoel99
Member since 2008 • 1059 Posts

I know, most of you loved the game, but I played it for about a half hour and I don't see the fun, I find it boaring. Sorry if you don't share my view of it, I think it deserves a 9.0 at best. I will break it down, I hear it's visuals are amazing, but I play it and the first thing I see is a HORRIBLE looking tree with terrible resolution and their hair is all clumpy everything is all flat feeling with no charecter, explosions are neat, but everything else left more to be desired. and you move far too slow, why can't I run?SOOOO many other games look alot prettier Animations are very very nice, but everything else dosen't impress. Gameplay seems too loose. (could be me) Sound however I found no problems with and enjoy alot, I'm thinking of selling for $25 at gamestop. And how did he instantly get old? I'm not saying the game is bad, I think the game is great, but NOT even close to a 10.0

Faulttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Faulttt
Member since 2005 • 549 Posts

wat tv are you playing on?

lol

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheAcejoel99

plasma 46 inch high def on 1080i with optical out cables for true dolby surround sound. It's awsome. I just find many more games to look better.

sixshooter0825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sixshooter0825
Member since 2008 • 102 Posts

>_>

I hope you played the first three of the series

and judging a game base on 30 min gameplay...

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

Tipical MGS newbie. Sorry mate, but we cant help you unless you put some effort and read all the backstory

DeathAwaits530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DeathAwaits530
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
To answer your question as to why he got, uhh... Maybe the playing the game for half an hour would tell you. I know a lot of people played this game for the story because it has a really deep story that is rich with twists and turns. Im sorry you don't like it, but no need to come here and give a foolish review that no cares about.
DeathAwaits530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DeathAwaits530
Why he got old*
XxAnubisxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 XxAnubisxX
Member since 2003 • 4978 Posts
this from someone calling the explosions "neat".... besides there is no game that has ever made every single strand of hair flow by itself... your TV must really suck... and besides most all other games have a type of hair to where they don't have to worry about it moving... unless its like a chicks hair which is all grouped... and thats not even the point! The rapid aging and everything is explained.... YOU're Garbage!
N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

plasma 46 inch high def on 1080i with optical out cables for true dolby surround sound. It's awsome. I just find many more games to look better.

TheAcejoel99

Try it on a Full HD at 1080p, like mine, Sony Bravia 46" 1080p, after that, you may comment.

Phoenix963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Phoenix963
Member since 2006 • 1006 Posts
The visuals are amazing, from the corduroy on Roy Campbell's suit to the wrinkles on Snake's face. Honestly cant see why u dont like the visuals, post a pic of a bette rlooking game, then we'll talk. He walks slow because he is old... and why hes old is in the story. Watch the retrospectives on Gametrailers to learn a bit more about the MGS series, thats what i did, i didnt play the 3 before it but i still udnerstood the story. otherwise bro, i dont see why ur complaining, i loved the game and every aspect of it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#11 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I like judging games 30 minutes into them too. We should start a union, you and me. We could call it Union Team Crappy Review.
psyball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 psyball
Member since 2003 • 752 Posts
I bought a ps3 for that game, bought it, reviewed and gave it a 9, i agree with you. Check out my review if your interested. : )
footfoe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 footfoe2
Member since 2007 • 3014 Posts

MGS4 is rated 10 out of ten because it can not be improved apon in any meaningfull way

Now that right there is the truth

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

I like judging games 30 minutes into them too. We should start a union, you and me. We could call it Union Team Crappy Review.hillelslovak

In some games, 30 minutes is 15% of it.

N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

I like judging games 30 minutes into them too. We should start a union, you and me. We could call it Union Team Crappy Review.hillelslovak

Count me in! :P

gamerkid600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamerkid600
Member since 2008 • 435 Posts

I know, most of you loved the game, but I played it for about a half hour and I don't see the fun, I find it boaring. Sorry if you don't share my view of it, I think it deserves a 9.0 at best. I will break it down, I hear it's visuals are amazing, but I play it and the first thing I see is a HORRIBLE looking tree with terrible resolution and their hair is all clumpy everything is all flat feeling with no charecter, explosions are neat, but everything else left more to be desired. and you move far too slow, why can't I run?SOOOO many other games look alot prettier Animations are very very nice, but everything else dosen't impress. Gameplay seems too loose. (could be me) Sound however I found no problems with and enjoy alot, I'm thinking of selling for $25 at gamestop. And how did he instantly get old? I'm not saying the game is bad, I think the game is great, but NOT even close to a 10.0

TheAcejoel99

I will buy it off you for $25 and no i am not joking. :|

SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SiKh22
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts

your telling me this looks bad?

klkasdkiolkop

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts
well, judging by how you asked why snake got old so fast, I've concluded that you're not a fan of the series and that you REALLY don't know what you're talking about.
waferlawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 waferlawrence
Member since 2008 • 138 Posts
Everyone is so quick to jump on the guy. I haven't played the game, I just boguht the essentials pack so I can catch up on the story, but it seems everyone is pointing out what they don't like about his question, without really paying attention to what he said. I haven't seen the game enought o judge anything about it, but if it doesn't look as good as some other games, he has a point. Also, the 10.0 should be a very rare occurance, and like someone above said, a 10.0 is a game that can not be improved. He beleives it has some faults. I wouldn't call him a newb or anything like that just because he questioned the game.
TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheAcejoel99

To answer your question as to why he got, uhh... Maybe the playing the game for half an hour would tell you. I know a lot of people played this game for the story because it has a really deep story that is rich with twists and turns. Im sorry you don't like it, but no need to come here and give a foolish review that no cares about.DeathAwaits530

I feel bad that I don't like it because I feel like I should love it, because of the 10.0 and I'm not saying I hate the game or anything, I'm just saying that I think it dosen't deserve the 10.0 I know most people love it, I wish I did. PLEASE don't judge me or hate on me, just saying my opinion.

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
It was rated a 10 because that's what the reviewer thought it deserved, why else?
TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheAcejoel99

I bought a ps3 for that game, bought it, reviewed and gave it a 9, i agree with you. Check out my review if your interested. : )psyball

THANK YOU!!! I never said it was a bad game, I said I would give it a 9.0 as well, I plan on finishing it, and yes you can get a good impression of what a game is like with 30 min. Also I have played metal gear before, I liked metal gear solid 2: liberty something alot.

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts

It seems to me that you have never played the previous installments in the series, I highly recommend playing them, and if thats not possible, watch the retrospective on GameTrailers.

First of all no game, regardless of how short it is, should be judged in the first 30 mins. Especially an MGS game at that. IMO the acts that follow the first act have the best graphics I've seen in any game ever. The first act looked nice to me, but wasn't wowing, but I was totally blown away by acts later in the game (The second time in my life that I have been blown away by graphics, the first time was playing nhl 2000, lol or w/e it was on ps2, where it basically looked real to me, way back when). I was really truly blown away by the a certain area in Act 2, which looked absolutely beautiful and I couldn't believe that I was looking at a game.

Snake's old for a reason. It's part of the story.

The gameplay is amazing, because in this one not only can you go through sneaking around and being all stealthy, but you can actually go through guns a blazing, and it's actually REALLY fun doing that. Plus 30 mins in, you definately havent reached a boss fight, each of which in the game is epic and nostalgic.

I rated the game a 9.9, yes a .9, I really don't know i managed that on Gamespot after the whole .5/.0 implementation stuff, but because I was able to, I kept it like that, rather than giving it a 10, which is what I think it deserves.

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheAcejoel99

your telling me this looks bad?

klkasdkiolkop

SiKh22

NO.......... no I'm not, I think it looks realy good, but not a 10.0 maybe a 8.5 or a 9.0

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheAcejoel99

Everyone is so quick to jump on the guy. I haven't played the game, I just boguht the essentials pack so I can catch up on the story, but it seems everyone is pointing out what they don't like about his question, without really paying attention to what he said. I haven't seen the game enought o judge anything about it, but if it doesn't look as good as some other games, he has a point. Also, the 10.0 should be a very rare occurance, and like someone above said, a 10.0 is a game that can not be improved. He beleives it has some faults. I wouldn't call him a newb or anything like that just because he questioned the game.waferlawrence

Thank you soooo much, nicest person on gamespot.

SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SiKh22
i get the feeling that since you haven't played the other MGS games. And don't like MGS4, by only playing 30mins of it. Did you get to the frog fight? Cuase it got a 10, which it should, i think since you don't like it, it shouldn't get a 10. MGS games are not the most open games like halo
waferlawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 waferlawrence
I wouldn't say that. But I do try to be open minded.
SirOWNZalot86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SirOWNZalot86
Member since 2008 • 695 Posts

TheAcejoel99

play it in 1080p

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheAcejoel99

i get the feeling that since you haven't played the other MGS games. And don't like MGS4, by only playing 30mins of it. Did you get to the frog fight? Cuase it got a 10, which it should, i think since you don't like it, it shouldn't get a 10. MGS games are not the most open games like haloSiKh22

halo is "open"? lets not compare MGS4 to halo, two very differen't games. Both good in deferen't ways.

Dongalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Dongalos
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts

The story is awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Graphics i think are best looking game on my ps3

It just feels like you're part of the world is all

Might not hit you until you play some more, i played the first area when i started like i would Counter-strike or some fast first person shooter and it sort of ruined it for me

Make sure you aren't playing on liquid easy

StaticKevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StaticKevin

Guys, give him a break. After the first thirty minutes, I felt the same way but wouldn't let myself admit it - because it's MGS! So I just buckled down and played the rest of the game.

The middle east part is still very much a bore for me until the end of it. So I highly encourage the OP to keep playing. You'll end up loving it.

mutill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mutill
Member since 2005 • 458 Posts

MGS4 deserves a 10.0, first part is boring if u dont know the story. U gotta play past act 2 or act 3 to start to like it...

Plus, how can an old man run?

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheAcejoel99

Guys, give him a break. After the first thirty minutes, I felt the same way but wouldn't let myself admit it - because it's MGS! So I just buckled down and played the rest of the game.

The middle east part is still very much a bore for me until the end of it. So I highly encourage the OP to keep playing. You'll end up loving it.

StaticKevin
I will, thank you.
waferlawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 waferlawrence

MGS4 deserves a 10.0, first part is boring if u dont know the story. U gotta play past act 2 or act 3 to start to like it...

mutill

LMAO. Best argument I've heard in a while. Bravo sir.

waferlawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 waferlawrence

mutill

LMAO. Best argument I've heard in a while. Bravo sir.

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
[QUOTE="TheAcejoel99"]

SirOWNZalot86

play it in 1080p

Come on guys, there is a slight difference between 1080i and 1080p, but its not like its going to make the game *OMG, drool, lick the screen* good

And also TC, we're not trying come down on you, atleast thats not what I'm trying to do, I'm just trying to say that the first 30 mins, in this game is definately not enough to judge the game. But if you plan to play it like you say you will, then do Enjoy, your in for an epic ride =).

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
Finish the game, THEN decide what you think. The first 30 mins. is barely scratching this game. This game deserves the time to be figured out. The gameplay is much deeper than it first appears and you can take many different approaches.. It might seem strange at first but it'll grow on you. Trust me, you don't know nothing yet. It took me awhile to really appreciate it too.
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts
Yeah i think we should cut him some slack as well, i love mgs4 even though im not a big fan of it, and after thoroughly playing through it especially the online portion of the game i realize that its not a ten as well more like a 9.0 imo, the aiming system is quite challenging and the players move from base to base lik turtles :P, so i agree with the tc as well, he does give good reasonings to get his point across ;)
SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SiKh22

[QUOTE="SiKh22"]i get the feeling that since you haven't played the other MGS games. And don't like MGS4, by only playing 30mins of it. Did you get to the frog fight? Cuase it got a 10, which it should, i think since you don't like it, it shouldn't get a 10. MGS games are not the most open games like haloTheAcejoel99

halo is "open"? lets not compare MGS4 to halo, two very differen't games. Both good in deferen't ways.

I'm talking about fan base, MGS if your not into it. YOur likely not going to get into it, unless you PLAY the other games. Halo is very open to more people around, the story is not complex at all and has a bigger fan base. Another game is COD, its more open..its not about the game genre, its the fan base install. MGS is towards a certain group, and Halo, and COD is more for everyone..pick up and play.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#40 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
I gave the game a 9.5 (FLAME SHIELD, BRING IT!), With that said, with MGS4, you basically have to hope you're not the minority that missed what's so grand about it. If you are, then we can just place you in that "I didn't like Shadows of the Colossus" crowd either. :P
TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheAcejoel99
[QUOTE="SirOWNZalot86"][QUOTE="TheAcejoel99"]

navstar29

play it in 1080p

Come on guys, there is a slight difference between 1080i and 1080p, but its not like its going to make the game *OMG, drool, lick the screen* good

And also TC, we're not trying come down on you, atleast thats not what I'm trying to do, I'm just trying to say that the first 30 mins, in this game is definately not enough to judge the game. But if you plan to play it like you say you will, then do Enjoy, your in for an epic ride =).

I hope I'am
TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheAcejoel99

I gave the game a 9.5 (FLAME SHIELD, BRING IT!), With that said, with MGS4, you basically have to hope you're not the minority that missed what's so grand about it. If you are, then we can just place you in that "I didn't like Shadows of the Colossus" crowd either. :PSymphonycometh

I haven't played shadow of the colossus. Any good?

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 realistic44

No game would be perfect except for goldeneye, a game that truly revolutionize fps games

remember the golden gun :lol:

Prisoner1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Prisoner1137
Member since 2008 • 1213 Posts

No game would be perfect except for goldeneye, a game that truly revolutionize fps games

remember the golden gun :lol:

realistic44

and proxy mines in the bathroom :D

TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheAcejoel99
ahhhhh proxy mines....good times ......good times, but your off topic! please return to MGS4.
YPenguinY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 YPenguinY
Member since 2006 • 100 Posts
You cant judge a game by just one hour of play. There is no horrible looking tree with terrible resolution. The attention to graphical detail in that game is out of control. You CAN run in the game. The game play is tight even though it takes some practice. How did he instantly get old?? I hope you havent played any of the other MGS games if you ask that. Also, if you play for more than 1 hour you'll find out. That's part of the whole plot of the game.
JayyRadd08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JayyRadd08
Member since 2006 • 125 Posts
i agree with tc..i played the whole thing and wound up underwhelmed..it was more like an 8.5 for me.the concept and everything was cool, i even read most of that database. To me the game didn't control right, controlling snake fealt clunky, and he moved so slow o_o..maybe i was expecting to much from the game because of the endless hype, but regardless it doesn't deserve a 10 neither does gta4; no game deserves a 10.
Prisoner1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Prisoner1137
Member since 2008 • 1213 Posts

ahhhhh proxy mines....good times ......good times, but your off topic! please return to MGS4.TheAcejoel99

*rolls eyes*

I pretty much agree with realistic on some stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the series *played them before*, but I have to say that the game is still great. Is it worth 10? I believe so

Online was cool cause it reminds me of Socom so that was why I played it for awhile. MGS4 will go down in history as another great game. *thumbs up*

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 realistic44
Yeah joeim not trying to get at your back or anything like that my friend, but you should really give mgs4 more time, its a great game but yeah i seen your point where it doesnt deserve a ten, to me i give a 9 ish :)