Why are people so averse to PSN+?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I mean, PSN+ is a sweet deal. There are games I get for free that I wouldn't normally pay. You know what? They are great games. I got Sam and Max, and I had previously tried the demo and didn't really like it. The bundle was like $20 anyway. Putting it out on PSN+ for free got me to give it a second chance and I liked it so much I actually PAID $20 for Tales of Monkey Island. Now I'm playing Stacking, which is priced at $15. It's another game I wouldn't have thought to try if it weren't free but I like.

So, why don't people like the idea of paying for PSN+ which offers deals like these? I mean, I think it actually pays for itself.

Blackjack9288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Blackjack9288
Member since 2011 • 316 Posts
Cause it seems like no matter what people like to complain about things.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

Money.

You're paying £40 upfront, and although they give you free stuff (which i'm pretty sure gets locked if you unsubscribe), the 'discounts' still involve you paying. It's a nice idea, i just can't afford it. However, if they threw in voice-chat, i'm sure i could summon up the pennies to get it...

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

Its good for people who enjoy playing psn games alot. But for people like me, its CRAP

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

Cause it seems like no matter what people like to complain about things. Blackjack9288

Exactly! Give 100 people 1 million dollars and at least 1 person will complain about it some how.

It reminds me of the Super Bowl this year. 400 people didn't have seats because the NFL over sold tickets because they thought they could get the seats up in time for the game, but they weren't able to.

As compenstation to these 400 people the NFL gave them

• $2400 cash (3 times the face value of their tickets).
  • Allowed them to still enter the game and view it from theluxury boxes behind the Steelers bench.
  • All food and drinks were free for them for the whole game.
  • They were allowed to be on the field after the game.
  • They got free merchandise such as hats and shirts from the super bowl.
  • They were told they could pick any future Super Bowl to attend and they would be an NFL guest of honor for that Super Bowl as well as having all travel and expenses paid for.

Two people are still trying to sue the NFL over their situation.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#6 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

The fact that those free games are taken away from you the second you un-subscribe is probably the big issue. Not sure how that works, exactly (do they get removed from your console or is it just your download privileges that are revoked?), but that's a strong enough reason for anyone not to take the jump.

Personally, I think it looks like a fine service. I wouldn't subscribe to it, though, only because I'm plenty content with the basic service offers.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

I just got the 15 month deal and I am happy with it. It's less than 3.50 a month, so basically I just got Stacking and Spyro 2 for 3.50.

Over the last few months I've noticed a lot of really good PS1 games offered with the service at no additional charge and I love this as well because I put them on the PSP and my daughter doesn't whine about wanting to play PS3 when I am watching TV.

I guess if you have an interest in building a collection on your HD it's a great service, if you're just looking to play the current gen stuff probably not worth it.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CajunShooter

The fact that those free games are taken away from you the second you un-subscribe is probably the big issue. Not sure how that works, exactly (do they get removed from your console or is it just your download privileges that are revoked?), but that's a strong enough reason for anyone not to take the jump.

Personally, I think it looks like a fine service. I wouldn't subscribe to it, though, only because I'm plenty content with the basic service offers.

c_rake

A good comparison of PS+ and its free games would be like a cable service. Does anyone complain that they can no longer watch ESPN because they stopped paying their cable bill? The money you spend each month on cable is not paying for the channels but to access to the channels. You aren't paying for games when you purchase PS+. You are paying for access to games. Free games are just 1 of about 5 or 6 different perks that the PS+ service offers you.

shadowdisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shadowdisciple
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts
The reason is because people have the mentality nowadays that anything they don't personally like is inherently bad. For many people Playstation Plus isn't worth it and that's perfectly fine and understandable but that doesn't make it some sort of scam that Sony is trying to pull. Some people (like me) don't buy a lot a content on PSN so they have no interest in the discounts and also maybe put off by the fact that you only have free access to games and not ownership but that doesn't make PS+ a ripoff, it's simply not for you. And for the people who do buy a lot of suff on PSN and have no qualms about not technically owning the free games either because they plan to subscribe to PS+ for a long time or just don't mind losing the games after however many months, then it's well worth the subscription price.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

c_rake
Actually, PS1 games you get, you keep forever.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="c_rake"]

tjoeb123
Actually, PS1 games you get, you keep forever.

Nope, they have an expiration date when you click the triangle button on them.
CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

PSN+ isn't free despite what Sony wants you to think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts
Cause it seems like no matter what people like to complain about things. Blackjack9288
Ah yes, the best scapegoat answer for any hate topic. "Haters gonna hate". Or you could embrace the fact that it does suck and is going to get hated.
Avatar image for deactivated-622466a483e10
deactivated-622466a483e10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-622466a483e10
Member since 2003 • 659 Posts

[QUOTE="Blackjack9288"]Cause it seems like no matter what people like to complain about things. CajunShooter

Exactly! Give 100 people 1 million dollars and at least 1 person will complain about it some how.

It reminds me of the Super Bowl this year. 400 people didn't have seats because the NFL over sold tickets because they thought they could get the seats up in time for the game, but they weren't able to.

As compenstation to these 400 people the NFL gave them

• $2400 cash (3 times the face value of their tickets).
  • Allowed them to still enter the game and view it from theluxury boxes behind the Steelers bench.
  • All food and drinks were free for them for the whole game.
  • They were allowed to be on the field after the game.
  • They got free merchandise such as hats and shirts from the super bowl.
  • They were told they could pick any future Super Bowl to attend and they would be an NFL guest of honor for that Super Bowl as well as having all travel and expenses paid for.

Two people are still trying to sue the NFL over their situation.

Probably because they were Steelers fans? :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I'm indifferent towards PSN+ I rarely use PSN, and few temporarily free games for rental and few early demos and few discounts don't warrant me to subscribe to PSN+.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
My problem with it is the idea you're "renting" the content you get for free. If it was actually free and I could keep it, I'd probably have signed up months ago. Outside of the "free" games I don't actually see what it gives you.
xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts
[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]My problem with it is the idea you're "renting" the content you get for free. If it was actually free and I could keep it, I'd probably have signed up months ago. Outside of the "free" games I don't actually see what it gives you.

Thing is, by the time it expires, you will most likely have already finished it and either didn't pay anything for it or (taking the monthly cost into account) a fraction of the price. There are many games I've been given that I would have just looked over normally and found I really enjoyed them. And the DLC and quite a few of the games given are free to keep even after subscription ends (stacking was the last).
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#18 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

A good comparison of PS+ and its free games would be like a cable service. Does anyone complain that they can no longer watch ESPN because they stopped paying their cable bill? The money you spend each month on cable is not paying for the channels but to access to the channels. You aren't paying for games when you purchase PS+. You are paying for access to games. Free games are just 1 of about 5 or 6 different perks that the PS+ service offers you.

CajunShooter

Except with cable, subscribing is the only way to access the channels they offer. With PlayStation Plus, you can just buy the games off the PlayStation Store and keep them. That's where the problem lies for many people. If I want a game I'll just buy it -- that way I don't have to worry about any sort of expiration or something so that I play it on my own time whenever I please.

jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts
I can't think of a psn game that I would play a year after my initial download. I have no problem with the games expiring, however, those that enjoy the services will probably keep paying the $50/year and have no concerns about expiration dates. The service is not for everyone. I really enjoy having access to it and will continue my subscription in the future.
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts

[QUOTE="CajunShooter"]

c_rake

Except with cable, subscribing is the only way to access the channels they offer. With PlayStation Plus, you can just buy the games off the PlayStation Store and keep them. That's where the problem lies for many people. If I want a game I'll just buy it -- that way I don't have to worry about any sort of expiration or something so that I play it on my own time whenever I please.

But with Plus, you get access to a lot more content for the same cost or less. I spent $50 on Plus in July. Since then, I've downloaded, played, and deleted a few hundred dollars in content that I would not have been able to get otherwise.
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

It all comes down to disposable income. A year ago I was paying a little more than the annual subscription of Plus just to play online with my 'other' console. I've thoroughly enjoyed my subscription thus far that's included greats (IMO!) like Sam and Max and Stacking, both of which lacked expiration dates. I'll certainly be resubscribing once my current subscription expires.

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I don't really care too much for the majority of PSN games or extra's, so it's not worth it to me to pay for it to only get a select few things I might actually want. It does make me worry however, that next gen PSN+ may be all there is. This almost looks like a means for them to test the viability of eventually charging for all online content.

Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

If you have PSN+ you are pirate, renting game is same as pirating imo

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
i would rather spend the money on upgrading my pc. having psn+ because of early access to various things, discounts, and free games that are already cheap in the first place is a waste to me
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The-Apostle

Zurrur
Ugh... In what way is getting PSN+ pirating? We are legally getting the games for free. We give Sony (who put the games on PSN) $50 and they give us free games. That way everybody wins. And Sony still gets money. Also, if we like the games for free, then we are more likely to pay for similar titles.
Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

The-Apostle
Ugh... In what way is getting PSN+ pirating? We are legally getting the games for free. We give Sony (who put the games on PSN) $50 and they give us free games. That way everybody wins. And Sony still gets money. Also, if we like the games for free, then we are more likely to pay for similar titles.

it's not really free anyway since you have to pay a subscription to get the so-called "free" item, but i agree that it's not illegal. i think zurrur was just joking anyway.
RD_Nukem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RD_Nukem
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts
There is nothing wrong with PSN+. Just that PSN FREE is just so much better value for money.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

PSN+ is worth it. I just like that you get early access to game betas and "free" games. Which are yours as long as you are a member of PS+. If you are big into downloading and make lots of PSN purchases then it is very much worth it. I like PS plus since I kinda like the "throw ins" that they give you.

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
psn+ just hasnt offered anything really really really good yet, if cross game voice chat comes along then i will get it in a split seccond! but until then im waiting for sony to offer something good (beffore you start saying that sony is giving amazing free games and what not, let me just remind you that not everyone likes the psn games the most recent psn game i got was sonic adventure dx and i still havnt gotten around to finishing it)
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CajunShooter

[QUOTE="CajunShooter"]

c_rake

PS+ gives 50% off discounts on games that you can purchase and keep forever. For instance starting Feb 22nd they are doing the PSN awards. The winning games will be 30% off for non PS+ subscribers and 50% for PS+ subscribers.

I no longer buy PSN games right when they release because usually within 3-6 months they are discounted with PS+

I know you are kinda playing devil's advocate here though

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

PSN+ is worth it. I just like that you get early access to game betas and "free" games. Which are yours as long as you are a member of PS+. If you are big into downloading and make lots of PSN purchases then it is very much worth it. I like PS plus since I kinda like the "throw ins" that they give you.

Megavideogamer
problem is psn+ doesn't quite give you disscounts on all dlc and games which is why its not needed, like not a single dlc i have bought in psn store has ever had a psn+ disscount and i have already bought dlcs for almost every game i have so theres not really much left that i need :P
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CajunShooter

There is nothing wrong with PSN+. Just that PSN FREE is just so much better value for money. RD_Nukem
That just depends on the gamer. If you buy a couple games a year, it might not be worth it. If you buy 10-30 games off the network a year, it almost certainly will be worth it. I no longer buy PSN games when they first come out anymore. I wait a couple months and a lot of times they will be $5 off or more. Not counting the free games because lets face it, a lot of free games I probably wouldn't have bought, I easily have made back the $50 I spent initially plus more.

So for me, I make back my $50. Save more money on top of that. I also get to try out other games for free that I would have never spent money on. Throw in automatic downloads, early access to betas, etc and I feel like it has actually been more beneficial than just PSN for free, because I would have paid more for some of the PSN games I've bought recently.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CajunShooter

Zurrur

Well at least you are up front that its your opinion.

SgtNumNum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SgtNumNum
Member since 2008 • 1172 Posts

Its good for people who enjoy playing psn games alot. But for people like me, its CRAP

redskins2156

Agreed with u on that.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#36 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I'm opposed to PSN+ because it seems like nothing but a fishing expedition used by Sony to see if they can get away with charging everyone for online.

I bought the system because of the free online and if they want to charge for it, I'm not interested.

People seem to go on about the free games but they're only free while you have your subscription, so big deal.

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DevilishStyles
Member since 2010 • 766 Posts

They can't afford, it doesn't get any simplier than that.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 The-Apostle

I'm opposed to PSN+ because it seems like nothing but a fishing expedition used by Sony to see if they can get away with charging everyone for online.

I bought the system because of the free online and if they want to charge for it, I'm not interested.

People seem to go on about the free games but they're only free while you have your subscription, so big deal.

d_parker

As others have said, PSN games tend to lose their reply value after a couple weeks. Also, I get about 5-10 games a year on PSN usually, but this year I've got like around 15-20 I think. A few I paid for. That's because of PSN+.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
The deals are temporary. I would have to keep forking out the cash to keep access to the games. I don't like playing many of those games anyways, so it's not a great deal for me. If someone comes to my house with a truck full of Beanie Babies that they will loan me for a year if I pay a little bit of money, but I can't keep them after the year and sell them or whatever, I'm not going to think that's a good deal no matter how many of the toys there actually are.
Tony_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tony_Ramirez
Member since 2002 • 816 Posts

PSN games loose my attention after only playing them ones or twice. Actually many Disc based games are having that effect on me too. I am finding out that I am using my PS3 Slim more as a multimedia system and watching Netflix, DVD's, Blu-Rays and videos I download online.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Because a Sony employee came to my house, held a gun to my head, and made me paid 50 bucks for this against my will even though it sucks.:roll:

Seriously, you're not bring forced to buy it, it' a good deal for those who want to buy it, if you don't want to buy PS+, then DON'T!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Because a Sony employee came to my house, held a gun to my head, and made me paid 50 bucks for this against my will even though it sucks.:roll:

Seriously, you're not bring forced to buy it, it' a good deal for those who want to buy it, if you don't want to buy PS+, then DON'T!

StealthMonkey4
I thought that's what this topic was about?
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

guynamedbilly

I thought that's what this topic was about?

I know... that's kinda the point of posting... why would I post something unrelated in the topic?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
I know... that's kinda the point of posting... why would I post something unrelated in the topic?StealthMonkey4
Well no, I mean this topic is about finding out why people don't like it and then you come and said if they didn't like it they shouldn't get it. People not buying doesn't answer the question of why they don't like or want it so your post was unrelated to the topic. As was this one I suppose.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]I know... that's kinda the point of posting... why would I post something unrelated in the topic?guynamedbilly
Well no, I mean this topic is about finding out why people don't like it and then you come and said if they didn't like it they shouldn't get it. People not buying doesn't answer the question of why they don't like or want it so your post was unrelated to the topic. As was this one I suppose.

I was just saying their reason doesn't matter as no one is forcing them to. The topic guidelines aren't that strict... that wasn't OT at all...

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

redskins2156
Pretty much this If I want to pay for an online consol service I'll go back to live. Nothing on PSN+ that I want or care about for me it would be a waste of money.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

c_rake

pretty much my opinon as well

Avenged_Plague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Avenged_Plague
Member since 2008 • 367 Posts

c_rake
Well actually half the games I got from PS plus, I could still play after my subscription ended. But the ones that I couldn't play, they just expired and when you try to play then it takes you to the PS store and gives you the option to buy it
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
cause i dont find anything i would want from it - but if others find stuff then sure go for it
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Nothing is free on PSN+, it's more like a lease or rental program. The only way I'd ever spend $50 (or whatever it was) on something like that is if everything was "free," not whatever Sony decides