Who Is Subscribing To PS+?

• 199 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

PlayStation Plus

We all knew it was coming at some point. It's been whispered about for at least a year, a possible optional subscription or an improved online experience. There have been a fewconfused threads sifting through the PS3 forum, so I thought I would try and find all of the information I could and whip up a thread regarding the PS+. Unveiled at E3 2010, it seems to promise quite a bit for the price of $17.99 for three months, or $49.99 for a full year. For UK gamers, pricing is £39.99 for a year or £11.99 for 3 months.Let's take a look at what we know.

Note: It is important to point out that the PlayStation Plus will only be available to PSN users that are at least 18 years of age.

PS+ won't affect the current network.

Those who can't be bothered to pay additional costs will still have the same things available to them as they've had all along. We can play games online for free. We can make use of the PS Store, download demos and some media for free, and PS Home will remain a free social service. The key word is optional. PS+ is nota prerequisite to play online.

Do we get cross game chat? That's a really big draw of LIVE's functionality.

We sure do. However, only PS+ members can initiate cross game chat. PS+ members will be able to invite any member of their friends list, whether they have subscribed to Plus or not, and freely chat with them. As long as the PS+ member starts it, three more can join in and still enjoy the free ride. However, if the Plus member leaves, the chat "party" is disbanded.

(Note: This has been confirmed to be false.)

Sony: "Cross-game voice chat was not announced as part of PlayStation Plus. The new offering provides subscribers features such as frequent discounts on PlayStation Store content, free and exclusive access to select games, full game trials, early invitations to select betas of popular games, and new functionality such as content downloads and updates which will automatically be "pushed" to the PS3 system even when consumers are not using their system. Content will vary by region."

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-12218-Video-Game-Examiner~y2010m6d16-Sony-clarifies-PlayStationPlus-crossgame-chat-regionalonly-features-and-content

However, it is possible that we may get it as part of the 3.40 firmware upgrade, though this is only speculation at the moment.

Well, alright, is that it?

Not even close. According to Sony, we will be treated to $200 worth of downloadable goodies over the course of the year. Qore, an annual subscription service exclusive to PSN that serves an an interactive for all things Playstation is included with the subscription. Qore's annual worth is $25. Next, we will also have access to full game trials, allowing us to play full versions of selected PS3 and PSN titles (including games from the PS One archive,) for a designated period of time before ahving to purchase the full game. However, selected PS3, PSN, and PS One games, as well as Minis, can be played for free, with no time limit. Members will also receive special content like exclusive avatars and custom themes, discounts to designated PS3/PSP games, early access to game beta trials/demos/videos, and automatic content downloads and updates, which enables their PS3s to start up at a set time to download content and turn off afterward.

Well, that's pretty nifty. I'm still not sure if I want to drop that kinda cash, though.

Good thing there will be a free three month trial period.

Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_7-20007808-10391702.html

Source: http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/705553/Sony-Unveils-PlayStation-Network-Plus.html#ixzz0qxMd7pY3

Oh snap, seriously?

Seriously. When the PS+ is released June 29th, we will be able to choose from one of two plans. 3 months for $17.99, or 12 months for $49.99. The annual sub purchase also comes with an extra free 3 months, effectively increasing your sub duration to 15 months for $49.99.

Well, what's in store for the first month?

It's off to a great start, really. We get two minis, Fieldrunners and Age of Zombies. We get the PS One game Rally Cross, and the PSN superhit Wipeout HD, all complimentary. However, keep in mind that for everything you receive under the PS+ plan, it all disappears if you choose not to stay with the plan, or cancel it down the road. It may suck, but it's only good business on Sony's part, it prevents people from taking advantage of the system.

Hmm, when is it launched?

June 29th.

-------

And there you have it. If I've forgotten anything, or something is announced, let me know and I'll update this. And no, I didn't make it pretty. I didn't include pretty pictures and colorful writing, just thought I would supply some facts about the PS Plus service, and to see how the PS3 community feels about it as a whole.

Peace guys.

Free copy of LittleBigPlanet: GOTY Edition!

Edit: From 29th June you'll be able to purchase a 1 year or 90-day membership from PlayStation Store and instantly get your hands on the following premium features. Plus, if you sign up for a 1 year membership between 29th June and 3rd August, we'll also throw in a free downloadable copy of the award winning LittleBigPlanet.

Source:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/15/playstation-plus-check-out-what-its-all-about/

StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

I am not paying a subscription for both my xbox and my ps3. Since none of my friends play ps3 it is a pretty clear cut decision for me.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
I'll be probably be getting a year subsrciption, $50 isn't much and I like what is being offered. Rally Cross here I come.
robmonga2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 robmonga2
Member since 2003 • 1193 Posts
I'll try it, doubt Sony will wow me...they rarely do with these things.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Khadaj32

I am not paying a subscription for both my xbox and my ps3. Since none of my friends play ps3 it is a pretty clear cut decision for me.

StudySession

That's fair enough, paying two subscriptions for similar services would be a little costly, especially if your friends are on 360's.

P-vs-P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 P-vs-P
Member since 2009 • 237 Posts

So you're not getting the full games, technically you're just renting it.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Khadaj32

I'll be probably be getting a year subsrciption, $50 isn't much and I like what is being offered. Rally Cross here I come.LightR

Yeah, I'm with ya. Sony have really impressed me in '09 and now in '10, and I feel that justifies an extra $50 from me. Plus, free stuff is cool.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Khadaj32

So you're not getting the full games, technically you're just renting it.

P-vs-P

Basically, yeah. As long as you retain the subscription.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
good job with this, dude. you should see if you can get it stickied ;)
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Khadaj32

good job with this, dude. you should see if you can get it stickied ;)starwarsjunky

Lol, I dunno about that. It's just very basic. I was considering doing monthly threads though, showcasing the free stuff PSN+ subs would be getting that month. I'd make them all pretty, too.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]good job with this, dude. you should see if you can get it stickied ;)Khadaj32

Lol, I dunno about that. It's just very basic. I was considering doing monthly threads though, showcasing the free stuff PSN+ subs would be getting that month. I'd make them all pretty, too.

add info as it comes out, and keep the first page updated. its something a lot of people are gonna come here asking about, i bet.
atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 atc-fanatic
Member since 2009 • 973 Posts

i well be $50 dollars ayear is nothin ive had live since 02(just cancelled) so i can affortd this.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Khadaj32

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]good job with this, dude. you should see if you can get it stickied ;)starwarsjunky

add info as it comes out, and keep the first page updated. its something a lot of people are gonna come here asking about, i bet.

Hmm, that's true, and I suppose I could just do that. Probably easier for everyone than making periodic threads all the time.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Yessir. 1 year subscription. The games you get for it it basically pays for itself. Also, didn't he say you get exclusive addons and beta tests?
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Khadaj32

Yessir. 1 year subscription. The games you get for it it basically pays for itself. Also, didn't he say you get exclusive addons and beta tests?Texas2089

Yep! That's in there, 4th paragraph.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'll do the trial and see if it's worth it. I expect the first month's selection of games will be mirrored in the following months - one great game (that everyone probably owns already - Wipeout HD) and a handful of nearly worthless crap. If that rings true, I won't pay for a subscription, because I don't care about party chat or anything else.
mikegtfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mikegtfc
Member since 2005 • 604 Posts
Is cross game chat confirmed? I didn't see it at E3.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Khadaj32

Is cross game chat confirmed? I didn't see it at E3.mikegtfc

According to Joystiq it is, and they're pretty reputable. I posted the link for the source material in the OP.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Yup. The subscription will end up paying for itself over time.

mikegtfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mikegtfc

[QUOTE="mikegtfc"]Is cross game chat confirmed? I didn't see it at E3.Khadaj32

According to Joystiq it is, and they're pretty reputable. I posted the link for the source material in the OP.

Ah, that sounds awesome. Bit odd they didn't mention it at E3. Maybe something they will mention later to 'beef' up ps+
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Khadaj32

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

[QUOTE="mikegtfc"]Is cross game chat confirmed? I didn't see it at E3.mikegtfc

Ah, that sounds awesome. Bit odd they didn't mention it at E3. Maybe something they will mention later to 'beef' up ps+

Could very well be. It probably came out in a media report handout from Sony, hence where Joystiq got it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18799 Posts
no
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The renting sounds horrible but it's a step in the right direction and I'll support it

The main thing is to keep on sending them letters until they only allow communication for paying members, we did this much we can push them all the way

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
3 month trial period? awesome.
mikegtfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mikegtfc

The renting sounds horrible but it's a step in the right direction and I'll support it

The main thing is to keep on sending them letters until they only allow communication for paying members, we did this much we can push them all the way

Jaysonguy
I think it's fair, you're paying to have these games for the period of the payment.
joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

$50's is less than the cost of a game and in the long run, you "should" get more than your money's worth (initial $50 investment). I'm buying into it.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Khadaj32

$50's is less than the cost of a game and in the long run, you "should" get more than your money's worth (initial $50 investment). I'm buying into it.

joseph_mach

Indeed, and according to Sony we'll be receiving around $200 worth of free stuff in an annual subscription, and I don't think he was including Qore, which is an extra $25 worth. I think he was only referencing to stuff like games, add-ons, etc.

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

I won't be upgrading. I don't play enough to make it worth it to me.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Khadaj32

I won't be upgrading. I don't play enough to make it worth it to me.

bdhoff

The beauty of PSN+. If you don't play it enough to warrant a $50 annual subscription, you still have full access to online gaming.

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Hmm, that's true, and I suppose I could just do that. Probably easier for everyone than making periodic threads all the time.

i actually agree, future psn users should know what they are gona be in for so it would be wise to have a updated PSN+ thread detailing what they get for their cash
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Khadaj32

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"] add info as it comes out, and keep the first page updated. its something a lot of people are gonna come here asking about, i bet.crashndash

i actually agree, future psn users should know what they are gona be in for so it would be wise to have a updated PSN+ thread detailing what they get for their cash

I sent a message to the Mods concerning this, it's in their hands now :lol:

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Im going to wait for more details of what im going to get. If theyre not going to improve my actual ONLINE experince, then it might be a no sale for me.

DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts

I got 2 questions:

1. Do you lose all your PSN games if you stop subscribing and then subscribing again?

2. When does that 3 month-free trial begin?

Urizen5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Urizen5
Member since 2006 • 521 Posts

I'll give it a shot for one year. If i'm impressed i'll keep going. Just need to buy it in the summer. Nothing comes out then, so it's like buying a game for me.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Khadaj32

I got 2 questions:

1. Do you lose all your PSN games if you stop subscribing and then subscribing again?

2. When does that 3 month-free trial begin?

DarkblueNinja

1. As everything on your PSN ID seems to be saved to a server side profile, I would think it would keep track ofall the content you had received by benefit of subbing, and would be made available to you again upon resubbing.

2. Not sure of the specific day, I'll update that as soon as I find it out, but in the conference Sony stated that it would be available by the end of the month, and we're halfway through June now. 2 weeks tops.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Khadaj32

I'll give it a shot for one year. If i'm impressed i'll keep going. Just need to buy it in the summer. Nothing comes out then, so it's like buying a game for me.

Urizen5

I;ve told you this before, but your sig is awesome.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts
There is a miss understanding about the free 3 months thing ....... if you buy a year subscription, you get 3 free months extra. so $49.99 for 15 months. Anyways, I will be subscribing to PSN + because the things it offers is nice and I don't mind supporting PSN so it can overall become better for everyone.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Khadaj32

There is a miss understanding about the free 3 months thing ....... if you buy a year subscription, you get 3 free months extra. so $49.99 for 15 months. Anyways, I will be subscribing to PSN + because the things it offers is nice and I don't mind supporting PSN so it can overall become better for everyone. Nonstop-Madness

Source? Everywhere I've looked states a free trial period of three months prior to purchasing the service. Though I did find something else...

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XboximusPrime

Great, so now im going to be paying 100 dollars (plus tax) so I can get this kind of service on both my consoles? Gah.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XboximusPrime

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]There is a miss understanding about the free 3 months thing ....... if you buy a year subscription, you get 3 free months extra. so $49.99 for 15 months. Anyways, I will be subscribing to PSN + because the things it offers is nice and I don't mind supporting PSN so it can overall become better for everyone. Khadaj32

Source? Everywhere I've looked states a free trial period of three months prior to purchasing the service. Though I did find something else...

Its if you buy the year. Its like what Live used to do where if you bought a year of gold, you got a extra month free.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#41 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'll give it a go sinse my 360 crashed on me a few months back....I'm not getting another one until they do a price cut(sorry....off topic):P

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Khadaj32

Free digital copy of LittleBigPlanet confirmed for those who purchase a 1 year subscription between June 29th and August 3rd. First post updated.

Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
im deff going to get this i want the free stuff and access to betas.
bananapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bananapotato
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

Sounds interesting, I'm probably going to subscribe. Any news on the release date though?

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Khadaj32

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]There is a miss understanding about the free 3 months thing ....... if you buy a year subscription, you get 3 free months extra. so $49.99 for 15 months. Anyways, I will be subscribing to PSN + because the things it offers is nice and I don't mind supporting PSN so it can overall become better for everyone. XboximusPrime

Its if you buy the year. Its like what Live used to do where if you bought a year of gold, you got a extra month free.

I'm finding speculation of both a free trial and a buy 12 get 3free kinda deal. I'll add that the free trial isn't 100% confirmed, unless you can find a good source saying that that is how it is. All the sources I've looked up have said the opposite.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Well, as long as it's kept free. It's fine by me. Especially since I don't play online on a daily basis.

Those extra features, I don't really care much for by the sounds of it. If I wanted a game, I would rather buy it and not have it on a clock.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nonstop-Madness

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]There is a miss understanding about the free 3 months thing ....... if you buy a year subscription, you get 3 free months extra. so $49.99 for 15 months. Anyways, I will be subscribing to PSN + because the things it offers is nice and I don't mind supporting PSN so it can overall become better for everyone. Khadaj32

http://us.playstation.com/playstation-plus/ bottom part of the page "BUY 1YR GET 3 bonus mons."
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
I think $50 is fair, but I don't think I'll be jumping in right away. I'll wait until something I'm actually interested in is offered up. I also think the "for as long as you subscribe" thing is a bit shady. Warranted, yes, but still shady. What if we miss a payment, but then come back, is it like WoW, where we get our stuff back? these are questions Sony needs to answer before I buy in... but, it sure sounds like a decent deal... However, that said. I bash M$ for their $50 yearly price, so me spending $50 on the PSN for non-essential things seems rather hypocritical to me. Still, the three month thing sounds cool. two more questions that you might know: When is it coming out, and for how long does the three month trail period offer last? (like, is it only for the first few months the service is launched, or?) I guess we may not know. and since so little is known, I doubt this service will be ready in any less than a month :/ Sounds interesting though. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for more deets. Nice thread BTW :)
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nonstop-Madness

Sounds interesting, I'm probably going to subscribe. Any news on the release date though?

bananapotato
June 29th
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Khadaj32

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]There is a miss understanding about the free 3 months thing ....... if you buy a year subscription, you get 3 free months extra. so $49.99 for 15 months. Anyways, I will be subscribing to PSN + because the things it offers is nice and I don't mind supporting PSN so it can overall become better for everyone. Nonstop-Madness

http://us.playstation.com/playstation-plus/ bottom part of the page "BUY 1YR GET 3 bonus mons."

Cool, updating now.