What was/is your reason to get a PS3?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

Atleast for me one of the main reason why I finally decided to get a PS3 is because of the Exclusive games that are only on the PS3, and of course of Blu-ray movies, and to play games online with my friend that had a PS3 since it was released.
For instance I have always been a Playstation fanatic as I had a PS1 and a PS2 since their release dates and never had an original Xbox, and I was pissed that the PS3 wasn't coming to out until a year after the Xbox360 so I decided that I could not wait until another year to get a PS3 so I decided to get the Xbox360. So after another 1 year and 8 months later after the release date I finally got a PS3, which I should be getting in the mail in a couple of days.
I bought off of Ebay a brand-new/sealed 80gb PS3 MGS4 Bundle, and I also bought off of Ebay Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm and Lair and all 4 of those games are PS3 Exclusive only games.
Since i have had an Xbox360 for over 2 years now I have some of the Xbox360 Exclusive only games and I have alot of other games that I like that are also on the PS3, so getting those games again on the PS3 would be a waste of money because I will still buy and play games on my Xbox360.
Now lets say that I had decided to buy the PS3 first over the Xbox360 then it would be for the same reason, as I would have got an Xbox360 mainly for the Xbox360 Exclusive only games like Mass Effect and a few others.
Not to say that there aren't any games that I have on my Xbox360 that I would not get on the PS3 as I said before I do have a friend that has a PS3 and I would like to play games with him online, so I will eventually get COD4 which he plays online alot. Also the only other game that I already have on the Xbox360 that I will be getting soon on the PS3 is GTAIV, because it is just that great of a game and it is worth it to buy again as I would love to check out any differences in the single-player and the online multi-player.

So what was/is your reason to get a PS3?

Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
Just wanted to keep playing the Playstation franchises that I loved: God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Tekken...
gfmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gfmetal
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts
for me blu-ray was the main reason. i didn't want an expensive unitasker, so the ps3 was perfect for me. blu-ray movies and some stellar games
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
i got sick of 3rod and wanted something reliable...
Silverdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Silverdragon17
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
I wanted a reliable gaming console and i didn't want to miss out on any of the playstation franchises. (GOW, Ratchet, MLB etc. )
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts

Just wanted to keep playing the Playstation franchises that I loved: God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Tekken...The_Pig_Hostage

My words exactly
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
region free gaming
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

1. Blu-ray

2. Free online play

3. continuations of PS2 games like Ratchet and Clank, God of War and Killzone.

4. Warhawk, Uncharted, Resistance, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Ratchet ToD, MotorStorm, Home etc. Possibly another Jak game too.

5. Low failure rate.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
the exclusives.
Haphilli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Haphilli
Member since 2005 • 1023 Posts
Blu-ray......games will come but that was the biggest reason.
Khimarhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Khimarhi
Member since 2005 • 2353 Posts
I bought it at launch. Mostly for blu-rays. Bought PS2 way back for the dvd player so it's a pattern.
theo_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 theo_1
Member since 2004 • 217 Posts
da ladies think its so sexy. they just love it so I had to get one
AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts

The JRPGs.

It's a good thing I'm open to new experiences.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

The JRPGs.

AnFangs_Endes

:? that sucks...tides have turned when it comes to JRPGS...360 is hogging all of them..and its a american console :?

MaForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 MaForce
Member since 2007 • 533 Posts

My top five in that order:

1. 360 failure rate

2. Blu-ray. I got mine in the heat of the blu-ray hd war and banked on blu-ray.

3. Free online

4. Exclusives looked cool. Uncharted, r&c, mgs4, dmc4, others....

5. big collection of ps2 games/sony's reliability with good consoles

bubbleboyii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bubbleboyii
Member since 2005 • 550 Posts

I stayed out of the current generation of consoles until very recently. There was a time when I thought about getting an Xbox360, but as I look into their lineup of games, nothing really grabbed my attention as an exclusive except Halo 3. On top of that, 360 seemed to have an unreasonably high failure rate. The MGS4 bundle was a huge selling point for me. Backwards compatibility (the only last-gen console I have is a Gamecube), a decent sized hard drive, MGS4, and a Dualshock 3 made it worth it, at least in my mind.

I also enjoy RPGs. Now, I know that the 360 has had a growing number of RPGs, but I don't think their quality competes with the ones on PS3. Sure, the same developers/producers worked on some of them, but they didn't make great games (Blue Dragon).

Overall, I think the PS3 has a lot of potential. Microsoft may be winning over a lot of developers into making multiplatform games, butI just don't think the quality is up to par.

beinss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 beinss
Member since 2004 • 1838 Posts
Well for me it was LBP, MGs4, FF13, & SOCOM Confrontation. now u can subtract FF13.
_Zac_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _Zac_
Member since 2005 • 156 Posts
Mostly because I grew up with Playstation 1 then Playstation 2. I also think that the PS3 has the most potentail for original games because Xbox is considered an FPS console, so making a non-FPS game (or any game without guns and explosions) would almost gaurentee lower sales while making an FPS would gaurentee sales. While with the PS2's big variety of games, I would expect that most people would expect the same for PS3 (so more developers will make more original games).
eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 eklineage
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

I'll add reason that iv recently found

Eternal Sonata, FF13vs, FF13, White knight story, Valkyria Chronicles, Disagaea 3, God of War 3, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6, Last Remant, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Devil May Cry 4, Killzone 2, Future Dark Cloud 3.

Hopefully tales of vesperia and star ocean 4 come to the dark side soon

Also for the console's excellent reliability and the ability to watch blu ray movies.

Gabe11cap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Gabe11cap
Member since 2003 • 1796 Posts
MGS4, Socom, God of War, Final Fantasy, hopefully some Kingdom Hearts, and MAG is a bonus
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#21 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

I've had a hot and cold relationship with the playstation consoles. I was given a Playstation waaay back in like 98. I amassed a good amount of games for it back then. I'm not the well-informed gamer that I am now so I have some pretty crappy games that haven't aged well.

I didn't get a Playstation 2 until very recently when I was introduced to Guitar Hero. I got one just for that series. I have other games for it now but had it not been for Guitar Hero I would have totally skipped the PS2.

The PS3 came along after a long debate with myself. At that point I had a Wii and a gaming PC but I was still missing out on a few very key genres. Racing, Fighting, hack and slash. These usually don't show up or do too well on either Wii or PC so I wanted either a 360 or PS3. I extensively went through the game libraries of both systems and determined that there were more exclusives for the Sony console that I wanted compared to that of the other console. That and the failure rate of the competition was unnerving.

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

Just wanted to keep playing the Playstation franchises that I loved: God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Tekken...The_Pig_Hostage

agreed, and its the better system in terms of hardware and games.

T-Machine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 T-Machine99
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts
The blueray drive was one of the major reasons. Also free online gaming was a biggie. I don't regret anything about my PS3, so far.
StanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 StanAce
Member since 2003 • 206 Posts

The JRPGs.

AnFangs_Endes

Can't agree more. The current situation is a little more than 'disappointing'.

FF6fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FF6fan
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

Well the reason i got a PS3 was because i've never been disapointed by a Playstation. I've always had great experiences with them. Unfortunately last gen. PS2 was my last system to get. I got the GC first and i was disapointed after SSBM. Then i got a Xbox cause i wanted something fresh was disapointed again. Then about 6 months before the PS3 i decided heck i'll get a PS2. Bought it and have gotten more games than both my xbox and GC combined. And they were all exclusive to the PS2. Xbox i have all multiplats except Halo 1+2 and Fable. GC i have SSBM and thats pretty much it other than some crappy multiplats(NFS:Underground, Dark Alliance, Enter the Matrix, and others). That and well i thought FF was going to be exclusive to PS3 and well now its not but at least i'll still be able to play it.

eric252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 eric252
Member since 2008 • 594 Posts
Better future exclusives, and my 360 broke.
qman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 qman101
Member since 2007 • 1004 Posts
My odd trust with Sony.
johanlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 johanlee
Member since 2004 • 305 Posts
cause my 2nd PS2 was broken :?
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

just take out tekken and gran turismo and put in jak. plus alot of sonys new ips are great like motorstorm, heavenly sword, resistance, and uncharted

insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 insomnia37
Member since 2004 • 1442 Posts
I bought my PS3 for the next gen hardware as well as for the games( exclusive and multiplat), free online, next gen format(blu-ray), and reliable hardware.
XxAnubisxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 XxAnubisxX
Member since 2003 • 4978 Posts
Because they have almost all games that come to the 360, and more... and if its only for th 360 chances are its for the PC too so its not like Im missing out.... and because its got the most power of all other systems... I don't really care but after you play MGS4 you think how could you really get so into a game with lackluster graphics... of course you can but its not near as in depth... I love my PS3 and have high hopes for it over my 360 and wii...
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

1. most of the games on 360 can be found on a pc (especially shooters)

2. most of the games that i really loved is exclusive to sony (well ffxiii just went multi plat and dmc4 2 so the list is getting smaller) and i was only interested in 4 games with xbox360-lost oddysey,mass effect,forza, n gears

3. free online

4. failure rate

i was actually going to purchase a 360 over a ps3 until i did a lot of research the week i was going to get it. i factored in the games i wanted and i figured ps3 was my better choice. im happy with the decision.

DNChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DNChan
Member since 2008 • 249 Posts
For gaming.
wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
free online and i like the wait i mean LOVED The ps2
shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

i wanted the best system and i didnt want to have to pay for online service because i knew i would have my ps3 for a long time.

that and the shock factor of having one... back when it cost 600

BigKayDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#36 BigKayDaddy
Member since 2004 • 275 Posts
I chose the PlayStation 3 because it could be used as a blu-ray player and exclusive games such as Final Fantasy XIII (at the time), Ratchet and Clank Future, and Resistance. Another reason that played into my decision was the fact that I had grown up playing the PlayStation brand consoles so I was used to the controller. Free online was also a nice feature that Sony offered.
shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts
[QUOTE="AnFangs_Endes"]

The JRPGs.

StanAce

Can't agree more. The current situation is a little more than 'disappointing'.

we still get to play ff13... i dont see the big deal. plus we wont have to change discs 4 or more times. lost oddesy was 3 discs, i cant even imagine how many a final fantasy will be

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
FFXIII and MGS4
hameedox2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hameedox2
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts

Blu-ray

MGS4

Continue with sony since I've palyed PS, PS2.

cheers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 8493
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
1. The fact that i dont like Xbox

2. The Games

3. Blu-ray

4. The franchise
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
Simply because it is a multimedia system that supports everything I want and need. Plus ive been a sony fan since ps1..Being my first console and all.
dbzkelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dbzkelly
Member since 2003 • 101 Posts
Wasn't too much of a PS3 fan, cause I had an Xbox 360 and all, but I was in vacation in Japan and asked my dad for a PS3. I was joking around, but he bought a 52" HD TV so we got it for the blu-ray mainly and MGS4 of course. But now that I have a PS3, i've been really excited over it.
jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts
I played my PS2 the most then I waited until the price of the PS3 to go down then I got one,and so far I'am really happy with it..
04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
i started playing video games at teh age of 10 on my uncle's ps1 then my cousin moved in with us and bought a PS2 for x-mas after that i knew im a PS fan all the way now i have my own PS3 and i wouldnt have it any other way another happy ending
ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts
For gaming.DNChan
Gee that is the same reason why I have an Xbox360 and now a PS3, and eventually I will be getting a Wii too.
watson_twenty5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 watson_twenty5
Member since 2007 • 657 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed both the PSone and PS2. I figured I'd also enjoy the PS3. I prefer the controller over the other systems. It has the MGS series. I like the direction in which the PSN is taking their games. Sony hasn't let me down yet so I have no reason to not be loyal to them.
AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts

we still get to play ff13... i dont see the big deal. plus we wont have to change discs 4 or more times. lost oddesy was 3 discs, i cant even imagine how many a final fantasy will be

shroom76

Okay, shall I put it like this? Note, I said JRPGs, not just Final Fantasy 13.

[spoiler]

Sure, we still get to play Final Fantasy 13, who cares if it gets seriously delayed just because the PS3 version doesn't get released outside of Japan until they're done porting it to the other system?

We get Eternal Sonata. A year later than the other system got it. Understandable. At least we're getting miniscule exclusive content. Huzzah.

Star Ocean 4, which was thought to be confirmed for quite a while to be coming to the PS3 as exclusive, or even otherwise isn't even coming now. This is starting to get annoying.

Tales of Vesperia sure looks nice. Too bad it's not coming out for the PS3, even though you'd think it would be since it's doing better in the country it's being made in than the system it's actually on is doing. This is pretty annoying.

We'll get Last Remnant, even though it might not be an exclusive, we are indeed still getting it. Later than the 360 version; instead of having the same arbitrary release restrictions imposed upon it by Square Enix like they're doing with the PS3 version of Final Fantasy 13. Progressing far past simple annoyances here.

Well, we've still got White Knight Story coming out, which will stay exclusive, unlike many other games. Eventually. Sometime in the future.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII is still exclusive. Though it will more than likely be made a multiplat provided that FF13 sells well on the other system, since you can't rely on Square Enix being 'loyal' anymore without the PS2's numbers on the PS3's side. Oh, and it's nowhere near release anyways.

Kingdom Hearts 3 won't likely be a PS3 exclusive either, since, if trends with Square Enix show anything, it'll be on the Wii, or be a multiplat on the 360 and PS3. Yay.

We don't even have any good JRPGs out right now to tide us over until this drought (and I hope that's all it is; a drought) is over.

Sony even admitted they're not even working on any JRPGs at the moment to help the drought along.

[QUOTE="1Up in an interview with Sony"]Does Sony have anything in the works that might appeal to Japanese role-playing-game fans specifically?1Up writing down the response of Sony

Do we have an RPG in the works? No.

Now this is simply RAGE inducing.

Oh, and multiple discs has never bothered me when it comes to JRPGs. If it did I never would have played some of my favourite games. As I'm sure many, many, others would not have played their favourites. Need I add how many of the greatest PS1 JRPGs had multiple discs?

[/spoiler]

What a great system for JRPGs!

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
[QUOTE="shroom76"]

AnFangs_Endes

Okay, shall I put it like this? Note, I said JRPGs, not just Final Fantasy 13.

[spoiler]

Sure, we still get to play Final Fantasy 13, who cares if it gets seriously delayed just because the PS3 version doesn't get released outside of Japan until they're done porting it to the other system?

We get Eternal Sonata. A year later than the other system got it. Understandable. At least we're getting miniscule exclusive content. Huzzah.

Star Ocean 4, which was thought to be confirmed for quite a while to be coming to the PS3 as exclusive, or even otherwise isn't even coming now. This is starting to get annoying.

Tales of Vesperia sure looks nice. Too bad it's not coming out for the PS3, even though you'd think it would be since it's doing better in the country it's being made in than the system it's actually on is doing. This is pretty annoying.

We'll get Last Remnant, even though it might not be an exclusive, we are indeed still getting it. Later than the 360 version; instead of having the same arbitrary release restrictions imposed upon it by Square Enix like they're doing with the PS3 version of Final Fantasy 13. Progressing far past simple annoyances here.

Well, we've still got White Knight Story coming out, which will stay exclusive, unlike many other games. Eventually. Sometime in the future.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII is still exclusive. Though it will more than likely be made a multiplat provided that FF13 sells well on the other system, since you can't rely on Square Enix being 'loyal' anymore without the PS2's numbers on the PS3's side. Oh, and it's nowhere near release anyways.

Kingdom Hearts 3 won't likely be a PS3 exclusive either, since, if trends with Square Enix show anything, it'll be on the Wii, or be a multiplat on the 360 and PS3. Yay.

We don't even have any good JRPGs out right now to tide us over until this drought (and I hope that's all it is; a drought) is over.

Sony even admitted they're not even working on any JRPGs at the moment to help the drought along.

[QUOTE="1Up in an interview with Sony"]Does Sony have anything in the works that might appeal to Japanese role-playing-game fans specifically?1Up writing down the response of Sony

Do we have an RPG in the works? No.

Now this is simply RAGE inducing.

Oh, and multiple discs has never bothered me when it comes to JRPGs. If it did I never would have played some of my favourite games. As I'm sure many, many, others would not have played their favourites. Need I add how many of the greatest PS1 JRPGs had multiple discs?

[/spoiler]

What a great system for JRPGs!

tl;dr owned

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

My top five in that order:

1. SONY OWNZ!

2. Blu-ray. I got mine in the heat of the blu-ray hd war and banked on blu-ray.

3. Free online

4. Exclusives looked cool. Uncharted, r&c, mgs4, dmc4, others....

5. big collection of ps2 games/sony's reliability with good consoles

MaForce

my words exact.. :)

USMC_Sn1per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 USMC_Sn1per
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

- Blu-Ray