Valve PS3 'a waste of time'

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jasonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jasonen
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
http://ps2.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=15020
EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts

You know, being a new PS3 owner, this is the kind of crap that pisses me off!! I own a 360 (which died last week BTW, thanks MS. It's on it's way back!) and I own a PC (a very nice PC at that) and I think it's bad business to pick sides when you're a 3rd party developer. I mean now Sony fans are going to think twice about buying products from Valve since Gabe openly admits that the PS3 is inferior to the 360 and PC. The PS3 has a lot of potential that has not been explored or exploited. And it's not fair to judge any system from it's first year games. Remember Gears of War didn't come out until almost a year after the 360 launched. I can't wait for 2008, the PS3 will finally get the respect it deserves. I'm proud to own a PS3, but I'm also proud to own a 360 (when it gets back in mid November :() and a PC. I'm a gamer and that's what it's about!

I need help getting down off my soap box now! :D

TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TelcharXI
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
He sounds like he hates everything, also he was the same one that expressed his displeasure of the PS3 at the very beginning. He is full of hot air and let him sit there in his hovel clutching his precious
leon106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 leon106
Member since 2005 • 594 Posts

wurd

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
im second guessing whether i want to buy the orange box now. its like when jackie chan said he hated his american movies.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
Coming from the guy who ran Outlook on the source codes network.... and got it stolen.... bravo.
flipside05uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 flipside05uk
Member since 2003 • 58 Posts

Dude I have the same systems as you have and a proud owner of all three, I'm sure Gabe didn't make that remark without prior knowledge of the PS3's technical capabilities. I don't think that it's inderior to the 360 but I do believe that it's not that much better, not the kind of advantage Sony PR people have been pushing out since its inception.

Yes I do believe that it's slightly better but the difference is negligable. I remember reading aninterview with Ken Kutagari former chairman and chief executive of Sonysaying that the PS3 is not geared for games but geared for playing media such as Blue Ray. That is why it's hard to program for games and not as powerful as it's claimed to be.

Nevertheless I love the system just like the other two (360 and PC that is).

Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
Gabe newell has been bashing the Ps3 since the release of it.
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
im second guessing whether i want to buy the orange box now. its like when jackie chan said he hated his American movies.LoG-Sacrament
Jakie did not say that he said he hated the American ways of a movie talking about insurance companies not letting him to doingcertain stunts. big difference there. plus i think someone that has not made anything on the ps 3 should just the heck up. games like heavily sword prove him wrong because the animation in that game is done from the cell. so is motorstorm in the crashes and not one crash is ever the same.
areads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 areads
Member since 2006 • 445 Posts
that salad dodger gabe is just making excuses 'cos he can't get his head round the PS3's hardware.
EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EnderSR388

PS3 is not geared for games but geared for playing media such as Blue Ray. That is why it's hard to program for games and not as powerful as it's claimed to be.flipside05uk

Not to discount what you said, but why would Sony need to put in a cell processor, 40/60/80gb HDD, WI-FI, 2/4 USB ports and BC abilities with PS1 and PS2 games (on certain models). if it's supposed to be mainly for Blu-Ray and other media and not games? Sony wants the PS3, just like it stated in the past with the PS2, to be the heart of peoples home entertainment, which is why it's capable of playing all media except HD-DVD out of the box. This can also be a downfall, since the Wii can't play anything but games and is selling really well (because it's focused on what it wants to deliever: a great gaming experience). I think games systems these days need to be more focused on what they are (like the old days) and worry less about being a jack-of-all-media, you know?

paulg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 paulg
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

You also must realize that Newell is a former Microsoft employee and he made millions while there...so yeah, he's gonna bash anything that competes with his Sugar Daddy.

Deviltrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Deviltrigger
Member since 2003 • 343 Posts

that guy sounds like a fanboy of "something" talking, he just says ps3 is a waste of time, is not a good solution, its not this and that, he says everything except giving reasonable arguments about his own words.

why you think that of ps3?

because i don't like it and i like the way i don't like it.

lol.

mobius1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mobius1979
Member since 2005 • 690 Posts
omg well u know what they say " people fear or hate things they dont understand", he just doesnt want to put in the effort to learn more about the cell...another cheap lazy developer if u ask me. And for God sake they left the porting of orange box to EA.....Everybody be ready to have an inferior PS3 version. I m not getting this game, i already have most of them on pc anyways lol
donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts
This guy just likes to hear himself talk. How many times has he made comments like this, not just about PS3 but everything else he has an issue with? He hates the Mac. He hates the PS3. He hates the 360. He hates Vista. He's going to keep on doingit too. He's an attention whore.
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts

[QUOTE="flipside05uk"]PS3 is not geared for games but geared for playing media such as Blue Ray. That is why it's hard to program for games and not as powerful as it's claimed to be.EnderSR388

Not to discount what you said, but why would Sony need to put in a cell processor, 40/60/80gb HDD, WI-FI, 2/4 USB ports and BC abilities with PS1 and PS2 games (on certain models). if it's supposed to be mainly for Blu-Ray and other media and not games? Sony wants the PS3, just like it stated in the past with the PS2, to be the heart of peoples home entertainment, which is why it's capable of playing all media except HD-DVD out of the box. This can also be a downfall, since the Wii can't play anything but games and is selling really well (because it's focused on what it wants to deliever: a great gaming experience). I think games systems these days need to be more focused on what they are (like the old days) and worry less about being a jack-of-all-media, you know?

but yet there so many people complaining it does not do this or that. we are so spoiled it not even funny anymore. i want this and to do that ect. just play the games and shut up about it. like the ones that say omg this demo did not come out and demo sucks ect. then you have people which is the worste in my book i can't talk or chat in this game or there is no chat room ect. use the dam phone if you need to talk to someone so bad even better someone you now. it is great that it does all these things because i only have three devices in my living room ps 3, tv, surround sound that is all i need lol ow ya cable box. your right about the old days heck you even had to bang around the game in the nes just to play a game that will make you eat your controler because there is no more continues lol. it was so simple back then you like the game you play it. now it is like you need a demo to try before you buy which is cool but to sit there and complain that it is not the one you want you say words about sony.
OmegaOrtega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 OmegaOrtega
Member since 2004 • 4502 Posts
He could afford to lose some weight.
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#19 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
i think he is saying this because EA have made a mess of the orange box for hl2
stefanlek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 stefanlek
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

nothing worth having comes without hard work

blacknite12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blacknite12
Member since 2006 • 180 Posts
i really dont know what the big deal is. he's not the first person to come out and say this and we can be sure that he wont be the last. lots of developers feel like he does, but in the end it's new hardware that'll take time to learn to use to it's full pontentail. the 360 was out for a year before PS3 so developers got use to working with the hardware, and the wii is just using the same chipset (basically) as the gamecube. i understand where he's coming from as a developer for saying this. but it's not news, not something new, not something that had to hyped in anyway, and not like this was the first time it's been said. in the end this just sounds like a rant from an angry fanboy.
KoolEmpty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KoolEmpty
Member since 2002 • 1081 Posts
I don't remember the last time I read a quote of his that wasn't him complaining about one thing or another...he needs to let it go or else I smell a heart attack coming on.
bobbysbits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 bobbysbits
Member since 2003 • 477 Posts
he hates the ps3 but he loves little debbies.
ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
He hates the PS3 so you all bash his weight. Nice...
KoolEmpty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KoolEmpty
Member since 2002 • 1081 Posts

He hates the PS3 so you all bash his weight. Nice...ModernTimes

But it's so easy

calducciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 calducciano
Member since 2005 • 1525 Posts

Wow, Gabe Newell, a fanboy, who would have thought.

sigh, oh well. If Valve lacks the talent to put an outdated game with an outdated engine on the PS3 then really, who cares. I can imagine that different hardware would scare a place like that. Good programming discipline is hard to come by. Perhaps this is why HL2 took so long to develop. Thanks for all the "hard work" valve.

calducciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 calducciano

[QUOTE="ModernTimes"]He hates the PS3 so you all bash his weight. Nice...KoolEmpty

But it's so easy

yes, but I'd rather attack the company. Gabe is but the trumpet for a company full of hacks. Sure, he's a psuedointellectual that loves to flap his yapper, but why get personal :P :)

The_Tombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 The_Tombo
Member since 2005 • 3537 Posts
I very much dislike him now.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
ouch pretty harsh comments
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts

sigh, oh well. If Valve lacks the talent to put an outdated game with an outdated engine on the PS3 then really, who cares. I can imagine that different hardware would scare a place like that. Good programming discipline is hard to come by. Perhaps this is why HL2 took so long to develop. Thanks for all the "hard work" valve.

calducciano
Did you even click the link? Valve isn't porting the PS3 version. Some team in EA is doing it.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]im second guessing whether i want to buy the orange box now. its like when jackie chan said he hated his American movies.GARRYTH
Jakie did not say that he said he hated the American ways of a movie talking about insurance companies not letting him to doingcertain stunts. big difference there. plus i think someone that has not made anything on the ps 3 should just the heck up. games like heavily sword prove him wrong because the animation in that game is done from the cell. so is motorstorm in the crashes and not one crash is ever the same.

no, he actually said that he doesnt find them funny at all and he only makes american movies to finance his asian films. but thats a bit off topic. bottom line: its hard for me to buy from somebody who doesnt support his product.

calducciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 calducciano
[QUOTE="calducciano"]

zero9167

Did you even click the link? Valve isn't porting the PS3 version. Some team in EA is doing it.

Did you even read my post? I said nothing of valve working on the PS3 port. I'm commenting on the fact that they lack the talent to do it so much that they have to let EA do it. That's sinking to a low that only a drunk santa clause at walmart would ponder.

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EnderSR388

yes, but I'd rather attack the company. Gabe is but the trumpet for a company full of hacks. Sure, he's a psuedointellectual that loves to flap his yapper, but why get personal :P :)calducciano

Well that's not fair either! Valve has produced some great games, just not on the PS3.

calducciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 calducciano

[QUOTE="calducciano"]yes, but I'd rather attack the company. Gabe is but the trumpet for a company full of hacks. Sure, he's a psuedointellectual that loves to flap his yapper, but why get personal :P :)EnderSR388

Well that's not fair either! Valve has produced some great games, just not on the PS3.

You're absolutely right. Where are my manners.

yanks1112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 yanks1112
Member since 2005 • 867 Posts

he hates the ps3 but he loves little debbies.bobbysbits

He must also hate money, because he's not getting any of mine. It's this kind of fanboy ignorance that we don't need.

I can imagine a conversation at Valve HQ now, ":cry: WAAAA, PS3 TOO HARD, WAAAA!! Oh wait, we can have EA do the port and make easy money. The idiots with a PS3 won't know the difference. Brilliant!!" goes to eat and chokes on a little debbie.

Well played sir but my money you shall not receive!! Sorry, it's been a long day:twisted:

calducciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 calducciano

[QUOTE="bobbysbits"]he hates the ps3 but he loves little debbies.yanks1112

He must also hate money, because he's not getting any of mine. It's this kind of fanboy ignorance that we don't need.

I can imagine a conversation at Valve HQ now, ":cry: WAAAA, PS3 TOO HARD, WAAAA!! Oh wait, we can have EA do the port and make easy money. The idiots with a PS3 won't know the difference. Brilliant!!" goes to eat and chokes on a little debbie.

Well played sir but my money you shall not receive!! Sorry, it's been a long day:twisted:

Exactly. I will not be shelling out money for any version. I have HL2 and Deathmatch classic. As mentioned earlier, it's not like Valve hasn't made great games. But for the time it took to make HL2 it should have rained gold when you opened the box. Of course, by this theory, angels shall descend from the heavens when 3d realms gets the ball rolling.

BadSmerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 BadSmerf
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts
Who cares anyway? If you want to play that game play it on PC. I'll be busy with COD4 and Assassins Creed.
tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#38 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts
who cares what this guy thinks...my system is great and I enjoy it very much...that's all that matters to me...
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I don't personally have anything against a man, he is entitled to his own opinion. I did found it strange that after he disliked PS3 capabilities, right after he admits that EA is doing a great job and PS3 owners (without hate) will enjoy HL product.

That's very two-faced and impolite and highly unprofessional for a man of his position.

PS3 is fully capable of producing Half-Life in every aspects, however it takes a team of good developers to do it, just like any other game on every platform.

I'm disappointed with Gabe's comment not on PS3 side, we know very well PS3 hardware in excellent, but with his immature ideology.

calducciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 calducciano

who cares what this guy thinks...my system is great and I enjoy it very much...that's all that matters to me...tryfe_lyn

you're right. amen.

nht12101990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nht12101990
Member since 2005 • 1615 Posts
His two hours a day sessions at Jenny Craig are a "waste of time."
calducciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 calducciano

His two hours a day sessions at Jenny Craig are a "waste of time."nht12101990

omg, those ragdolls in your sig! LOL

sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 sxs_alex
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts

Everything about his statement is I DON'T THINK or I THINK. He sure know how to choose his words carefully because he's doubting his own belief that the PS3 is a failure. He turned around and said oh i think the ps3 owners will be happy with orange box. At the end he tried to pull our leg by saying it's not at the same standard as the PC / 360 version. what a joke. I'm not buying that junk. Who in their right mind would say these things when they know their software is being made on that platform. He might as well give up and stop the production for the ps3 since he hates it so much. Sony should just stand up for themselves by not doing business with this creature. I wouldn't want to look desparate doing business him. By the end of this year and early next year the ps3 will standout.KillZone 2 will be the game that'll put a foot in his big mouth.

WalterPeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WalterPeck
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts

He sounds like he hates everything, also he was the same one that expressed his displeasure of the PS3 at the very beginning. He is full of hot air and let him sit there in his hovel clutching his precious TelcharXI

He's full of a lot more than hot air, have you seen then man? Also, his follow up is priceless. "Oh yeah, buy Orange Box for the PS3 though, it rocks."

guyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 guyhunter
Member since 2004 • 3691 Posts
Sounds like the PS3 version of The Orange Box is going to suck compared to the other 2. Oh well I'd find it hard to support a company with that kind of attitude anyway. I'm glad I cancelled my pre-order.
guts32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 guts32
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts

Instead of commenting on the PS3. I wish he would comment on why it takes him so long to release a game.

I love Valve and there products, but there development cycles are similar to Capcom's with the Resident Evil franchise.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

His attitude towards the PS3 sounds far more like a "won't" attitude compared to a "can't" attitude. Wasn't the PS2 at one point a pointless technology with no other useful applications as well? And how about learning a new hardware structure because you want to? Some people just hate change I guess.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

When I first read this, I was pretty annoyed. Especially after the Monster Hunter 2 fiasco, which also just happened yesterday.

But PS3 is very powerful, new hardware, and as such, is very foreign to a developer who's been making games on a Microsoft platform for many years (PC). And it's not a big surprise his team had a breeze porting the software to Xbox 360 because it essentially is just a PC. So instead of taking the time to learn and build a good relationship with Sony, Valve lets an idiot at the company talk trash about how his developers were apparently too challenged by the task of developing for new hardware (which is the bottom line)that he feels compelled to A) Publicly criticize Sony and therefor alienate many potential buyers of his product, and B) Even criticize the PS3 version by saying "It's hard to make it up to the standards of the PC and 360 version". And handing it off to EA? Give me a break. Perhaps he should change professions. Or at least keep his mouth shut. 8)

unasyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 unasyn
Member since 2007 • 318 Posts

Instead of commenting on the PS3, I wish he would comment on why it takes him so long to release a game.guts32

:D

nice

Liams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Liams
Member since 2003 • 1704 Posts

PS3 is not geared for games but geared for playing media such as Blue Ray. That is why it's hard to program for games and not as powerful as it's claimed to be.

flipside05uk

For every person you find that bought the PS3 as multi media system. I'll find you a 1000 more that bought it as games console just as I did. The clue is in the name PLAYstation.