Stand by mode vs Power off

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Speedy454545
Member since 2007 • 1311 Posts

What do you guys do with your PS3? Leave it on stand by mode or switch the power off from the back?

I am asking this because I just got my PS3, and I still cannot decide if I should leave it on stand by mode or turn the power off from the back.

If I leave it on stand by mode it is at risk of being turned on again seeing as the button is touch sensitive (A bug could fly on it and accidently turn it on for example) and also at risk of a power surge which would ruin the system. (I do have a power surge protector, but it is a very cheap $5 and I do not really trust it)

But turning the power off from the back I hear, can cause data to be deleted, eventually ruin the system because of constant turn off's and other horrible things.

So, which one do you guys use? Stand by mode or power off?

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Speedy454545

Looking for lots of opinions here, this is suprisingly quite a hard choice for me.

Seeing as I am a former 360 owner, it makes me take extra care of my PS3 now lol.

deon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deon99
Member since 2007 • 677 Posts
stanby mode if you keep turning it off it might as they say malfunction.
Azurathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Azurathe
Member since 2003 • 498 Posts
I suffer from OCD, and one of my things is i cant leave ANYTHING plugged into a wall socket if im alone and i leave the house. If im just going to bed or something i leave it in stand by mode.
truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts
I used to be a power off all the way guy "LOL like its some kind of manly thing??." Now at night I shut it down and sleep. So its stand by mode then. Cool to shut it off and not have to move.
ChiefRocka08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiefRocka08
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts

definitely standby mode. Treat your PS3 as you would a computer. Standby mode puts less stress on the system and usually extends it's lifetime, since it does not have to constantly reboot and turn off.

I also have a PS2, which i have kept on standby mode since 2001:D Still runs awesome. (although the PS2 is pretty much invincible)

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

I suffer from OCD, and one of my things is i cant leave ANYTHING plugged into a wall socket if im alone and i leave the house. If im just going to bed or something i leave it in stand by mode.Azurathe

My friend in SC had that. But I never noticed it that much. Except a few times I would notice like when we would be out late, and get back. And he would want to clean his place at like 3am. And it was already not that bad. But I just never looked to much into it, he's cool as is. Only known him a few years. Only lived in certain parts of SC "after South Florida" a few years. He was a Nintendo freak. And he hated sony and Micro. So im sure he is Wiing it up right now. He never seemed to mind my thing with Sony thow. I think he hated Micro more. Altough his roommate had a Box, and we used to give into Falo late night lol.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

What do you guys do with your PS3? Leave it on stand by mode or switch the power off from the back?

I am asking this because I just got my PS3, and I still cannot decide if I should leave it on stand by mode or turn the power off from the back.

If I leave it on stand by mode it is at risk of being turned on again seeing as the button is touch sensitive (A bug could fly on it and accidently turn it on for example) and also at risk of a power surge which would ruin the system. (I do have a power surge protector, but it is a very cheap $5 and I do not really trust it)

But turning the power off from the back I hear, can cause data to be deleted, eventually ruin the system because of constant turn off's and other horrible things.

So, which one do you guys use? Stand by mode or power off?

Speedy454545

i want to say something about the touch sensitive button, yeah if you slightly touch it with your finger it will turn on but strangely, when im cleaning it of dust i pass a piece of cloth over it with the pressure of my hand and it doesnt turn on

so i think a bug neither lol

Bumfinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Bumfinator
Member since 2003 • 132 Posts
ya i think standby mode is the best solution, just hope you dont get a power surge.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
Am I the only person who sees being able to turn my ps3 on from my couch, via the controller, to be a huge advantage? Turning the switch off in back completely negates that. As for surges, turning it off still won't preotect it, so if you want to worry about that, then you need to start unplugging all your electrical devices when they are not in use. That, or just not worry so much about unlikely freak occurences.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
Stand-by is the way to go.
sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sniper_99
Member since 2004 • 2820 Posts
I turn the power off from the back
Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Speedy454545

I turn the power off from the backsniper_99

Do you turn it off from the back like every single day or everytime you play?

Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts
The button is heat sensitive, so it won't turn on when a bug sits on it...

If you want proof, run it with a cloth or your shirt. It shouldn't turn on.
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts
Keep it on stand-by. Turning it on and off alot could mess up the HDD from what I heard. And because PS3 is like a computer, keeping it on stand-by puts less stress on it.
Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Speedy454545
I think I might leave the console in stand by whenever I am home. But when I go out somewhere I will turn the power off to it.
Udsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Udsen
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
I leave it on stand-by.
jfrdricks63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jfrdricks63
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts
I leave mine on standby because I'm just too lazy to reach around and turn it on from the back. Oh that sounded bad.... :oops:
BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts

I leave mine on standby because I'm just too lazy to reach around and turn it on from the back. Oh that sounded bad.... :oops:jfrdricks63

Lol, it sounded fine until YOU made it dirty :P still funny though.. :D

canesoulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 canesoulja
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
stand by mode because i have heard that if you keep turning the switch on and off it may mess it up overtime.
madsmokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 madsmokey
Member since 2004 • 258 Posts
i leave my ps3 on almost 24/7 and it's still kicking strong ^^ after you leave it on for a while it goes to a somewhat hybernating state. Just keep your ps3 well ventilated and you should be fine.
Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Speedy454545
Well the Sony guy said turning the power off at the back everytime will not harm it, so I guess I will just take his advice lol.
Avatar image for Gebrechlichkeit
Gebrechlichkeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gebrechlichkeit
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts
Leave it on stand by, its healthier for your system. If you are constantly powering on and down the ps3 from the back then all your components are re-powering and powering off and that can damage them.
Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Speedy454545

But what about the risks of standby mode? Power surges and accidental turn ons etc.

Wait a sec. Would a power surge risk killing the PS3 while in stand by mode? Or is stand by mode pretty much means the console is turned off and cannot risk a power surge?

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts
I leave mine on standby so that I can get to it from my PSP whenever I want to. I really like the remote play feature.
Itachi1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Itachi1989
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
i always leave mine on stand by
Gymbo-59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gymbo-59
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

Well the Sony guy said turning the power off at the back everytime will not harm it, so I guess I will just take his advice lol. Speedy454545

He's trying to sell more PS3's. LOL :)

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts
ok this is really worrying me now... Usually i turn it off from the back because i think it's better than putting it on standby. Is there any HARD evidence that leaving it on standby is better for your system?
jfrdricks63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jfrdricks63
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts
Its basically a computer- fine to leave it in standby unless you leave for an extended period of time.
Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Speedy454545

Well I always used to turn the power off at the back on my PS2, I did this for 4 years and it still works fine.

But then again, PS2 is much different from the PS3.......

StanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StanAce
Member since 2003 • 206 Posts

The button is heat sensitive, so it won't turn on when a bug sits on it...

Liquid-Prince

False. It is NEITHER heat-sensitive or pressure-sensitive. The correct answer is... Capacitance-sensitive.

While running a dry cloth will not cause the PS3 to turn on, a wet cloth will. Why? Because a dry cloth acts as an insulator and thus prevents the flow of electrons to/from your appendage and PS3. A wet cloth on the other hand is conductive because of the water, and as such, will complete a pathway between the appendage and the PS3. Of course, how the mechanism really works is more complicated than just completing a circuit.

Here's a simple primer: http://science.howstuffworks.com/question42.htm

Btw, did you know a banana works too?:P

iqballo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iqballo
Member since 2007 • 222 Posts
i dont turn it off from the back but i unplug it form the wall outlet after every use....and thats wat i used to do with my ps2 ,ps1 and they still work !!!!!!!!!!!
stuartcee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 stuartcee
Member since 2002 • 12846 Posts
I leave mine on standby unless I am going away for a few days then I power everything in the house off.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
Stand-by is the way to go.CJL182
clsnbrdr616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clsnbrdr616
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts

[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]The button is heat sensitive, so it won't turn on when a bug sits on it...

StanAce

False. It is NEITHER heat-sensitive or pressure-sensitive. The correct answer is... Capacitance-sensitive.

While running a dry cloth will not cause the PS3 to turn on, a wet cloth will. Why? Because a dry cloth acts as an insulator and thus prevents the flow of electrons to/from your appendage and PS3. A wet cloth on the other hand is conductive because of the water, and as such, will complete a pathway between the appendage and the PS3. Of course, how the mechanism really works is more complicated than just completing a circuit.

^^dang you beat me to explaining the button^^ lol

Mongo-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mongo-Boss
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts
Can the PS3 overheat while in stand-by?
shimamaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shimamaster
Member since 2004 • 408 Posts
i dont think it matters anyway
Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts

[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]The button is heat sensitive, so it won't turn on when a bug sits on it...

StanAce

For the purpose of explaining it to the OT, saying it was heat sensitive was the easiest way for him to understand. I should have said touch sensitive, but either way it's not a big difference.
LFCspiderpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LFCspiderpig
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
Whoops I honestly thought that turning it off gives the Fans, components a rest. But i'm from the UK and i THINK that we have more stable electricity current and stuff.(bad grammar?) But i usually find it easier to turn it off by the back. besides think of the Polar bears (on a lesser note my generation) Standby sucks up an unreal amount energy.
LFCspiderpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LFCspiderpig
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
Whoops I honestly thought that turning it off gives the Fans, components a rest. But i'm from the UK and i THINK that we have more stable electricity current and stuff.(bad grammar?) But i usually find it easier to turn it off by the back. besides think of the Polar bears (on a lesser note my generation) Standby sucks up an unreal amount energy. I guess tho for future of my PS3 i'll have to use Standby
btf504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 btf504
Member since 2005 • 255 Posts
Umm I had absolutely no idea about powering down frequently being bad for computers/PS3... I'm glad I read this, but I would also like to see at least something that can prove that.
steizgr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 steizgr8
Member since 2007 • 559 Posts

Umm I had absolutely no idea about powering down frequently being bad for computers/PS3... I'm glad I read this, but I would also like to see at least something that can prove that.btf504

Same here

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ianuilliam

Ok, I had to jump back into this, since the debate rages on, and I keep seeing the same things over again that are not exactly accurate.

1. There's no evidence turning it off and on at the back will shorten your ps3's life. At least not by any noticable amount. At least, not if you are shutting the system down first. Cutting it off at the back while the system is running and possibly accessing the hard drive or something like that can be bad.

2. For those who keep talking about surges.. shutting the power off at the back is no better than leaving it in standby. Any electronic device that is plugged in, whether it is on, off, or in standby, can be hit by a surge. Unless your wiring is really crappy, it'n not a common thing though. And as long as your electronics are plugged into surge protectors, they will not likely get hit by any kind of electrical surge big enough to damage them. Unless your house is directly struck by lightning. Anyway, power surges are no reason to turn your console off, unless you also unplug it.

3. Again, am I the only one who thinks the convenience of turning your system on and off without getting off the couch is a good feature?

Joel_Pichardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Joel_Pichardo
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

But what if you cover your ps3 with a cloth or t-shirt every time you stop playing?

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I e-mailed Sony last night about this issue and a representative said that the PS3 was made to stay on, meaning keep it on stand by mode, but, he said, turning off your PS3 from the back switch while it is in stand by mode will do no harm to your PS3.
Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Speedy454545

I e-mailed Sony last night about this issue and a representative said that the PS3 was made to stay on, meaning keep it on stand by mode, but, he said, turning off your PS3 from the back switch while it is in stand by mode will do no harm to your PS3.Flame_Blade88

Thats exactly what I was told.

But wouldnt turning your PS3 off just from the back stop a power surge? Considering the console is fully turned off if it is switched from the back.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"]I e-mailed Sony last night about this issue and a representative said that the PS3 was made to stay on, meaning keep it on stand by mode, but, he said, turning off your PS3 from the back switch while it is in stand by mode will do no harm to your PS3.Speedy454545

But wouldnt turning your PS3 off just from the back stop a power surge? Considering the console is fully turned off if it is switched from the back.

But it's still plugged in. But I guess it depends. I got a really good surge protector. One time there was a power surge while I was playing and everything shut off except my tv and PS3 :lol: then about 10 seconds later they both shut off. Get a good surge protector. Then you should have no worries.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"]I e-mailed Sony last night about this issue and a representative said that the PS3 was made to stay on, meaning keep it on stand by mode, but, he said, turning off your PS3 from the back switch while it is in stand by mode will do no harm to your PS3.Speedy454545

No, because there is still a wire for the electricity to travel up. Whether it is on or off makes no difference to a wild surge of electricity. All it needs is a path of conductor, which, incidently is what the power cord is. The power drain in standby is minimal. Turning it off (without unplugging it) will not protect from a surge), basically, there is no reason at all to turn it off rather than leave it in standby.

Speedy454545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Speedy454545

I have a $10 surge protector lol, as long as it does its job I do not care the quality of it lol.

I guess everytime I could just turn the power off at the back and at the wall? Does turning the switch on at the wall all the time effect the PS3 in any way?

Damn Sony, why did you have to make stand by mode. They should of given us more options.

Avatar image for clifftrapremove
clifftrapremove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clifftrapremove
Member since 2004 • 825 Posts
I totally forgot you could turn the PS3 off from that back. That being said, i have never turned my Ps3 off... maybe i should do that.