Is Black Ops on the PS3 really that horrible?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

So my friends want me to take LoL pretty seriously. Okay, I'm fine with that. Fun game.

However I'm looking for a fun game to romp around in that is pretty casual -- would Black Ops be a good choice? I've heard horror stories about connection issues. I loved COD4 to death. I'd pick it up used for about $40.

Good deal? Why do so many people hate it?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Yes, don't buy it.

Stick to Mw2, COD4, and WAW they're the only "playable" CODs on ps3. The frame rate in BO isn't bearable.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CaptainAhab13

Yes, don't buy it.

Stick to Mw2, COD4, and WAW they're the only "playable" CODs on ps3. The frame rate in BO isn't bearable.

Fightingfan
Do people actually still play MW2?
Sedin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sedin44
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Yes, don't buy it.

yes i do, but blackops is fanatistic and fun...dont buy the hate
JAM1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JAM1313
Member since 2009 • 364 Posts
i love Black ops personally, i think its a great game
DarthRoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarthRoel
Member since 2010 • 1058 Posts
buy killzone 3 ;)
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Don't buy Black Ops, worst CoD to date.

buy killzone 3 ;)DarthRoel

This ^

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I didn't play Black Ops nearly as much as I did with the other ones. However this is probably due to the fact that I got tired of Call of Duty in general, not just Black Ops. If you really are a fan of the series you should go ahead and get it. It's been several months since I've actually played the game, but I doubt the online is any different than the last time I played it.
Ian_K2772

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Ian_K2772
Member since 2010 • 812 Posts
buy killzone 3 ;)DarthRoel
This or Bad Company 2. Don't even waste a dime on Black Ops.
Sedin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sedin44
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Yes, don't buy it.

Of course... but they're all mostly hardcore fans, potheads or people just too poor to move on.

Why would you limit to those players only and why imply potheads. Personally I am not a hardcore fan, never smoked pot, and I have bought blackops too so i guess im an exceptiom to your rule. My point is that I believe there are many exceptions and thus your statement has little substance backing it. Sedin
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts

Black Ops is the Best Cod on PS3 next to Cod4. They fixed most of the balance issues from MW2 and if you liked 4 I'd recommend it.

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MoNsTeR_zAcH
Member since 2011 • 523 Posts

It is great, some people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"] Do people actually still play MW2?Sedin44

Of course... but they're all mostly hardcore fans, potheads or people just too poor to move on.

Why would you limit to those players only and why imply potheads. Personally I am not a hardcore fan, never smoked pot, and I have bought blackops too so i guess im an exceptiom to your rule. My point is that I believe there are many exceptions and thus your statement has little substance backing it. Sedin

I did say "mostly." I didn't claim every person playing MW2 fell into those categories, nor did I claim to be stating any kind of "fact" or "rule." If anything, it's a viewpoint.

Or do I have to add "in my opinion" to everything I say on here so people like you don't get their feelings hurt?

AtlasBizarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AtlasBizarre
Member since 2010 • 828 Posts

Black Ops in general is horrible.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
cod is a bad series i advise better shooter like bioshock, killzone 3, battlefront 2
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Supposedly the game runs at native 960x544P which is terrible, but then the previous games all ran at the hardly spectacular 1040x608P, and the XBOX version of Black Ops also runs at that resolution. For whatever reason the PS3 version of Black Ops got downgraded a bit from previous versions, and from the XBOX version.

I think people were blowing it out of proportion though. The game looks dated either way, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference of one sub-HD resolution vs an even more sub-HD resolution. Basically it looked and performed the same to me as MW2 did. I did not see framerate as an issue either. It's still pretty pathetic that instead of optimizing the engine to perform better, Black Ops actually performed worse than MW2 and had it's own little glitches. Which is why I couldn't trade this game in fast enough.

Just goes to show that Treyarch is not a great developer at all, and this franchise will be in trouble unless they can build an engine from the ground up. If MW3 is *STILL* using the same old engine I can't imagine how dated it's going to look playing next to Battlefield 3.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CaptainAhab13

...sounds like I should pick up BC2 or KillZone 3. :D

khbuhjkbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 khbuhjkbk
Member since 2010 • 60 Posts

CaptainAhab13
get kz3. I had Black Ops, and I have Bad Company and Killzone 3. While bad company 2 has a better balance it's just not as fun as kz3. Both games have a severe amount of sniper spam, but in killzone you can quit and have a better chance of finding a game that isn't over saturated with long distance campers.
GreenPatchSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GreenPatchSky
Member since 2009 • 439 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

[QUOTE="Sedin44"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

I did say "mostly." I didn't claim every person playing MW2 fell into those categories, nor did I claim to be stating any kind of "fact" or "rule." If anything, it's a viewpoint.

Or do I have to add "in my opinion" to everything I say on here so people like you don't get their feelings hurt?

You should probably just back statements up like that with evidence before generalizing a whole group of players. The way you spoke implied that it was factual if you will. I think Sedin was just trying to make you think before posting but I cant speak for him. Maybe defining mostly would have helped because that could mean several different percentages. No need to get sensitive though were all just trying to improve the quality of message on the forum.
GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

It's not the best, but it's far from horrible. If you have a good display, it'll look fine and hardly be 'unbearable' to play. I got bored of it and sold it fairly quick, but of course i've played more than just COD4. If all your friends play it, I say go for it.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#23 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I enjoyed the previous COD games, especially WAW and was enjoying Black Ops before PSN went down.

I have no real problems with the game and think all the people ragging on it probably have unresolved personal issues that prevent them from giving a reliable opinion on the game. Maybe the haters are horrible at the game, maybe they don't want to have to rank up after having done so in MW2, maybe they can't cheat like they did in MW2 - don't know, don't care but I'd recommend you take their opinions with a large grain of salt.

I've tried Homefront and Killzone 3 and I didn't find either as fun as Black Ops.

Sometimes the connection drops but it's nothing horrible. The graphics don't look spectular but they get the job done.

There's no stupid online multiplayer pass to worry about either and that's nice - it helps create a nice online community, unlike a game like Homefront.

Can't comment on Crysis 2 multiplayer since I haven't been able to go online with that yet.

The biggest problem I have is that Activision is charging $15.00 a poke for the expansion packs but if you play the game a lot, when you think about what you're spending and the hours of fun you're getting, it's no big deal.

If you can find it for $40.00, I'd say don't hesitate.

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MoNsTeR_zAcH

CaptainAhab13

No, get black ops

MCL0789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MCL0789
Member since 2011 • 80 Posts

I don't get all the hate Black Ops gets. Sure it doesn't add much to the series or FPS's in general but when I played it I hadn't played a COD game since 4. I enjoyed the BlOps campaign well enough, it was corny and kinda dumb but had some fun mission variety.

I had (say had because PSN is out, I usually play once a week or so) a lot of fun with Online. I stick to Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch mostly, just because that's what I enjoy playing more, though I've played the objective based games too a bit. I've never had connection issues (literally never once), the graphics are subpar but they don't take away from the game.

It's not a 9.5 game for sure but I've had a lot of fun with it.

P.S. I couldn't get into KZ3.. I should probably try again sometime

Ilinxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ilinxx
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

it's overrated

chewy130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chewy130
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts

Yes, don't buy it.

Fightingfan
Dont listen to this guy ^^ He is hella exageratting. I have BLOPS and i experience no lag at all, whether it is connection or frame rate. Use the rationality. BO is the highest selling cod game out there and tons people play it for a reason. haters gon hate. its the best cod becuz it also has no hackers. mw2 has tons of hackers
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#28 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Connection issues is just one of Call of Duty's series' online problems. Biggest issue on all platforms is the annoying amount of cowardly cheats/hackers that ruin what fun could be had.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

Yes, don't buy it.

Fightingfan

actually, COD4 is unplayable on PS3...it's full of hackers before PSN shutdown, and it's very hard tofind a room without cheaters or hacks, almost impossible.

BO is playable on PS3, but it looks so blurry on PS3 due to lower resolution. MW2 had around 100k users online before shutdown, and about 10k on waw. Both MW2 and WaW have few cheaters/hackers, but it's easy to find a clean matchs.

IMO, stay at 360 if you want to play competitive CODs and BO. PS3's COD is only good if you justwant to own noobs. Overall, its much easier to own ppl on PSN than live. You dont need to worry about hacks and cheat like PS3, 360 cheaters would get their live account and 360 banned if they get caught, but they do nothing against PS3 cheaters on most COD games except Black Ops.

Beside many ppl use crappy 3rd party headset that produced noisy communication, so not only PS3 users dont have headset for good team matchs but for those who uses headset, most of them have bad headset that makes games even worse. You either have to turn off voice volume or wasting times on muting individuals.

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DevilishStyles
Member since 2010 • 766 Posts

It sucks on PS3. But the Xbox version is better than Killzone 3. The game still rocks. Alot of these people base their opinions on everyone else's. You look at their trophies and no Call of Duty game listed.

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DevilishStyles

Connection issues is just one of Call of Duty's series' online problems. Biggest issue on all platforms is the annoying amount of cowardly cheats/hackers that ruin what fun could be had.

Venom_Raptor
There haven't been any widespread hacks on Black Ops. Everything gets live fixed in a heartbeat. Even zombie exploits.
DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DevilishStyles

MoNsTeR_zAcH
Those are the people who play Final Fantasy 13.
MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MoNsTeR_zAcH

[QUOTE="MoNsTeR_zAcH"]

DevilishStyles

Those are the people who play Final Fantasy 13.

Thanks for defending me. I got a warning for that post. Don't know why.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
its better since the 50th patch..but i still dont recommend it.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

[QUOTE="Sedin44"] Why would you limit to those players only and why imply potheads. Personally I am not a hardcore fan, never smoked pot, and I have bought blackops too so i guess im an exceptiom to your rule. My point is that I believe there are many exceptions and thus your statement has little substance backing it. SedinGreenPatchSky

You should probably just back statements up like that with evidence before generalizing a whole group of players. The way you spoke implied that it was factual if you will. I think Sedin was just trying to make you think before posting but I cant speak for him. Maybe defining mostly would have helped because that could mean several different percentages. No need to get sensitive though were all just trying to improve the quality of message on the forum.

Well, if anyone was being sensitive, it was him. And whoever reported me for the post.

I don't have any evidence to back up my statements and I shouldn't need any because they're from my experiences with the game. This is why it's called a viewpoint. I'm not insulting the Modern Warfare 2 community, I'm just talking about what I've seen of it.

LURCH87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 LURCH87
Member since 2008 • 1375 Posts

yes

Dinomaster45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dinomaster45
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Mw2 is much better then Black Ops.
ShishcabobShig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShishcabobShig
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts
I played through Black OPs and it was alright. Had fun with the Multiplayer for awhile but got old after awhile. That being said CoD4MW still has a strong online and im on there from time to time.
Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
KZ3 is definitely more what youre looking for out of the 2 BFBC2 and KZ3......KZ3 is easier to pick up....and u can have the controls like CODs oh and a response to khbuhjkbk's sig......i heard the same thing about this years Tokyo Game Show
2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Supposedly the game runs at native 960x544P which is terrible, but then the previous games all ran at the hardly spectacular 1040x608P, and the XBOX version of Black Ops also runs at that resolution. For whatever reason the PS3 version of Black Ops got downgraded a bit from previous versions, and from the XBOX version.

I think people were blowing it out of proportion though. The game looks dated either way, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference of one sub-HD resolution vs an even more sub-HD resolution. Basically it looked and performed the same to me as MW2 did. I did not see framerate as an issue either. It's still pretty pathetic that instead of optimizing the engine to perform better, Black Ops actually performed worse than MW2 and had it's own little glitches. Which is why I couldn't trade this game in fast enough.

Just goes to show that Treyarch is not a great developer at all, and this franchise will be in trouble unless they can build an engine from the ground up. If MW3 is *STILL* using the same old engine I can't imagine how dated it's going to look playing next to Battlefield 3.

2Chalupas
I agree completely.
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts
The only reason why I like Black Ops is because of Zombies. Multiplayer sucks IMO
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Honestly I didn't think the framerate in Black Ops was "unbearable". Sure, the game runs smoother on the Xbox 360, but the change in framerate isn't absolutely DRASTIC, it's still very much playable and quite a bit of fun. The single player is spectacular as well, probably my favorite campaign of any Call of Duty game.

Ilinxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ilinxx
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

it's decent, just overrated

H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts
What do u mean 'on PS3'? IMO, Black Ops is rubbish on PS3 and xbox, tooooo overrated
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

What do u mean 'on PS3'? IMO, Black Ops is rubbish on PS3 and xbox, tooooo overratedH_M_1

Sure, it's not the greatest FPS in the history of mankind, but it's damn fun for what it is. Over the top action, exciting gunplay, etc. I think the game is great and worth the money. I wouldn't say it's overrated either... Just because it isn't a "masterpiece" doesn't mean it isn't better than most of the competition out there. I think as a first person shooter, Black Ops stands out very well on its own compared to plenty of other garbage out there.

jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

its pretty ba dbut hey at leats the game isnt as bad as mw2 or cod 4. those games are just about as bad as they get

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DevilishStyles

But Black Ops is still better than Crapzone 3 and SOCRAP 4

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MoNsTeR_zAcH

If it were bad, would I have put almost 300 hours into it

favre4thewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 favre4thewin
Member since 2008 • 693 Posts

Single player is terrible. Online gets old after a while. The maps are way to small and many games end up just being run around and get shot in the back/shoot ppl in the back.

I here good things about BC2.

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MoNsTeR_zAcH

Single player is terrible. Online gets old after a while. The maps are way to small and many games end up just being run around and get shot in the back/shoot ppl in the back.

I here good things about BC2.

favre4thewin

Cracked, crisis, berlin wall, and array are not small, and only people who suck get shot in the back. I probably get shot in the back like once every 3 games. Plus in real war, people try to sneak up on others like that.