Blu-Ray News. Very Intresting

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rahzel54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#101 rahzel54
Member since 2004 • 1732 Posts
[QUOTE="MASTERCHIEFUSMA"]i personally dont see Blu-Ray winning the format war, Sure it might have more support and it is better in few ways, but remember BetaMax and VHS? it was the same way and who won? VHS thats why cause its cheaper, when consumers look at products they want quality with price, and HD-DVD and Blu-Ray look and sound the same but with the exception of price, im not calling this war yet but im placing my trust in HD-DVD
ramey70
Horrible comparison. Betamax was a proprietary format by Sony and they limited it's distribution. Bluray is adobted by a great many software and hardware companies and some even sit on the Bluray Board.

+1. agreed. also, HD-DVD is not cheaper anymore, nor is it cheaper to produce. you don't know how many times HD-DVD supported bring up the whole betamax thing. for one, as you said, it is a horrible comparison, and they also ignore the successful formats Sony has been part of, such as CD-R and DVD+R/RW.
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts
[QUOTE="ramey70"][QUOTE="MASTERCHIEFUSMA"]i personally dont see Blu-Ray winning the format war, Sure it might have more support and it is better in few ways, but remember BetaMax and VHS? it was the same way and who won? VHS thats why cause its cheaper, when consumers look at products they want quality with price, and HD-DVD and Blu-Ray look and sound the same but with the exception of price, im not calling this war yet but im placing my trust in HD-DVD
rahzel54
Horrible comparison. Betamax was a proprietary format by Sony and they limited it's distribution. Bluray is adobted by a great many software and hardware companies and some even sit on the Bluray Board.

+1. agreed. also, HD-DVD is not cheaper anymore, nor is it cheaper to produce. you don't know how many times HD-DVD supported bring up the whole betamax thing. for one, as you said, it is a horrible comparison, and they also ignore the successful formats Sony has been part of, such as CD-R and DVD+R/RW.

Ok NEWS FLASH Beta actually lasted much longer than VHS, so technically speaking Sony's Beta tachnology won the format war. VHS was used for domestic home video distribution because it was dirt cheap to make, but Sony's Beta was sharper and generally the perfect medium for SD mastering. Beta is still used to this day by all broadcast networks worldwide. Thats right everything you watch on TV thats broadcast in SD is on Sony's Beta technology. You do the math Joe Blows buying home movies on VHS for a decade vs EVERY broadcast network and professional media creator buying Beta SP/ DigiBeta for the past 2 decades. Now who do you think made more money, even as we speak SOny is still collecting like 5 cents for every Beta tape sold, and they're still selling and will continue to sell untill SD broadcasting is completely faded out. So the next time some smat ass mentions Beta as Sony's greatest failure, think again because Beta was actually Sony's biggest success. Cause they're still collecting money on it today. Lesson in media
rahzel54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#103 rahzel54
Member since 2004 • 1732 Posts
yup, betamax was the superior product. it just didn't win the consumer market, and it was a proprietary format. blu-ray is not. this time, blu-ray has the consumer market, it has the support, it has more movie contracts, it has a large blu-ray pusher in the PS3, it is capable of larger storage capacity, it has more drives/burners/players available and more companies are making them, and it costs roughly the same to produce. HD-DVD just can't compete with this.
jasonbay1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 jasonbay1988
Member since 2006 • 80 Posts
I cant wait to see Hd-dvd supporters spin it when Blu-Ray leads for a 3rd month and so on so forth, it will be funny times.
sPOON_f33dU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 sPOON_f33dU
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts
[QUOTE="rahzel54"][QUOTE="ramey70"][QUOTE="MASTERCHIEFUSMA"]i personally dont see Blu-Ray winning the format war, Sure it might have more support and it is better in few ways, but remember BetaMax and VHS? it was the same way and who won? VHS thats why cause its cheaper, when consumers look at products they want quality with price, and HD-DVD and Blu-Ray look and sound the same but with the exception of price, im not calling this war yet but im placing my trust in HD-DVD
pimperjones

Ok NEWS FLASH Beta actually lasted much longer than VHS, so technically speaking Sony's Beta tachnology won the format war. VHS was used for domestic home video distribution because it was dirt cheap to make, but Sony's Beta was sharper and generally the perfect medium for SD mastering. Beta is still used to this day by all broadcast networks worldwide. Thats right everything you watch on TV thats broadcast in SD is on Sony's Beta technology. You do the math Joe Blows buying home movies on VHS for a decade vs EVERY broadcast network and professional media creator buying Beta SP/ DigiBeta for the past 2 decades. Now who do you think made more money, even as we speak SOny is still collecting like 5 cents for every Beta tape sold, and they're still selling and will continue to sell untill SD broadcasting is completely faded out. So the next time some smat ass mentions Beta as Sony's greatest failure, think again because Beta was actually Sony's biggest success. Cause they're still collecting money on it today. Lesson in media

really? i never knew this, can u find me a link or something?