***** ALL CONTROLLER DISCUSSION in here please******

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cait_Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Cait_Sith
Member since 2003 • 92 Posts

Like dudeman said, this is rediculous. Last year, when they showed the boomerang, it was nothing but critisism about how horrible it was, and that everyone wanted the old DualShock design back. So they listened to the critisism and reverted back to the DualShock style. And still, nothing but critisism. Now you guys like the boomerang? No one liked it last year. Although I do admit that the boomerang design was starting to grow on me, but i still didnt like the look of it. I would be perfeclty happy with it if it were comfortable and easy to use, which it was supposed to be.
I am not at all unhappy with the DualShock 3 design. I guess its kewl it uses a standard USB cable, and I wonder if it will be poss to use it on my PC like the 360 controller.

The motion sensor thing sounds interesting. It was NOT stolen from nintendo. motion sensor controllers have been around since the days of Nintendo64. They just arent being used as a standard until the next generation. Just like wireless controllers. They've been around for years but have not become a standard until now. NINTENDO DID NOT INVENT THE MOTION SENSOR, so get over it! Geez.

Although I admit it is a bit odd considering they reveal a motion sensor after Nintendo already announced theirs will have one. I think they might have done this deliberately, but really... i dont think its a complete rip-off, because as i already stated...
1: Nintendo did not invent the motion sensor.
2: Motion sensing controllers have been around since the days of the N64.
and here's a couple i havent mentioned yet...
3. At least they didnt steal the super fantastic remote control style...
4. Technology can not advance without some imitations.

well i'm done for now.
CyRu5

I'd like to add also that, only by improving and refining existing technology and ideas can humanity achieve higher degree of technology advancements.

In regards to Nintendo's gyroscopic controller, it's based on Gyration's technology. Nintendo did not invent it, however they might've refined it. Also, Gyration is the first company ever to apply it to gaming. (PC, windows)

I think everyone need to know this fact and not let it overly shadowed.

Ryan454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 Ryan454
Member since 2003 • 723 Posts

You= Go post in your nintendo forum noones cares if ur a fan boy.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#104 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts

[QUOTE="mythrol"]Sony's motion sensor controller was their best kept secret? If that were the case why did the Warhawk group only have 2 weeks to implement motion sensoring into their game? Hmmm. . .Sounds more like Sony paniced after realizing they had nothing to show at E3 and decided to jack another companies idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony announces a new PSP with Touch Screen that's been their second biggest secret for the past two years.

Oh wait while we're at it, let's take what we like about the Microsoft controller as well. . . the middle button.
The least Sony could have done while they were jacking MS's ideas would have been to move the analog stick over to where the D-Pad is on their controller.

Highly disappointing E3 showing from Sony.
W3dotCOM

Thats a great idea, Id get one, hell Id get 2. Who cares. If Sony had all that in theri system, even if they did steal it, thed have everything.

With that logic let's take it a step further. How about if Microsoft announced that they were recreating their controller with 10 Plains of movement and that they were going to include an extra layer of trigger buttons to give players "more options". Would that mean MS would then have it all in their system? That it wouldn't matter even if they stole the ideas, and we should all buy a 360?

Ofcourse not. You would rag MS if they did that. So why do you defend Sony now, while they do the same thing. . .
Dante200X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Dante200X
Member since 2006 • 2180 Posts

What is 6-Degree movement? They say the controller moves "6 Degrees"?

I don't get it. Could someone explain?

Thanks.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-ox

hmm......up, down, left, right, and turning left and right  (sorta like a steering wheel on a car if you tilted it up)

this is moving, not really tilting....as in the controller would still be parallel to the ground (or, as if it was sitting on a table)
jsstlh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 jsstlh
Member since 2005 • 1078 Posts
somebody posted this comment under the news of the ps3 controller...I'm not sure how reliable it is though.... http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815/
mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 mr_specware88
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Nintendo fans aren't the only people mad. Three system peeps like me are angry too. Other then that, it was a good idea to change back to the original design.AngrySonyfan101

I agree what kind of underhanded sh*t is that? PS3 steals the Wii's controller and then if that wasnt enough tries to mimic the 360's online service. Sony invested millions into the PS3 and to ensure its suceeds its willing to mold itself into the different images of its competitors.

As for the controller iam glad if wont come back to me and give me severe head trauma. Long live the sony motto "Anything you can do i can do better!".

On the side note its doing a good job of incorporating the original xbox's girth seems to me its starting to pack a little to extra in that ultimate console lunchbox.

nickj213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 nickj213
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
alright, so they basically took the idea, but not enough to allow sony fans to say "but it isn't copying" Lets just get this straight, Sony could not get away with copying the controller for a few simple reason's. #1, they'd have to use pretty different technology, as much as some wont believe it, the tech, in the Wii remote was developed by Nintendo and partners, it's not a simple gyroscope or anything. So sony woul dhave to find a new way to mimic that. Aside from that, it's odd, unconventional, developers will develop for the Wii not because of the controller, but because it's 1/3 the price for PS3 or Xbox AND has a lot of creative element to it. No developer is going to spend all that time developing a game in HD, include all of the physics calculations for the controller, and spend $30 million when they can make the same game on the Wii with 480p instead for $10 million and sell it at just 10 bucks cheaper. it wouldn't be smart to go the full yard, so Sony just did what they could in the given amount of time.
neoand12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 neoand12
Member since 2005 • 7368 Posts
[QUOTE="Cait_Sith"]

Maybe everyone need to see this link -

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815/

It shows that Sony in fact did not copy Nintendo's idea.

treet

This link should be a sticky post! Excellent find.

Thank god somebody is right look at the date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cait_Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Cait_Sith
Member since 2003 • 92 Posts

It is reliable considering that it's from gamersfeed and that there are many other articles related to it with same dates such as this:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=2537

neoand12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 neoand12
Member since 2005 • 7368 Posts

hmm triggers?

TheMierArmy

Finally some spring loaded triggers, so they won't get stuck!

Dante200X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Dante200X
Member since 2006 • 2180 Posts
[QUOTE="TheMierArmy"]hmm triggers?

hmmmm.....360 controller is almost an exact copy of the dual shock 2...........including the so-called awesome new placement of the black and white buttons (R2 and L2 anybody?)
Jamin1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Jamin1317
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
The Microsoft Sidewinder for the PC and before that the Cyberstik for the PC both use tilt technology.  To think that either Nintendo or Sony came up with this revolutionary new way to tilt a joystick is insane.  I first experienced the technology on a PC over 8 years ago!
mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 mr_specware88

alright, so they basically took the idea, but not enough to allow sony fans to say "but it isn't copying" Lets just get this straight, Sony could not get away with copying the controller for a few simple reason's. #1, they'd have to use pretty different technology, as much as some wont believe it, the tech, in the Wii remote was developed by Nintendo and partners, it's not a simple gyroscope or anything. So sony woul dhave to find a new way to mimic that. Aside from that, it's odd, unconventional, developers will develop for the Wii not because of the controller, but because it's 1/3 the price for PS3 or Xbox AND has a lot of creative element to it. No developer is going to spend all that time developing a game in HD, include all of the physics calculations for the controller, and spend $30 million when they can make the same game on the Wii with 480p instead for $10 million and sell it at just 10 bucks cheaper. it wouldn't be smart to go the full yard, so Sony just did what they could in the given amount of time.nickj213

Where did these $30 million and $10 million statistics come from? Just curious.

juzanothaflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 juzanothaflip
cant really say the impact of the controller will be that big...i mean cmon...its only gonna work for those games where you fly around...nintendo + microsoft fan boys are way just too defensive
mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 mr_specware88

cant really say the impact of the controller will be that big...i mean cmon...its only gonna work for those games where you fly around...nintendo + microsoft fan boys are way just too defensivejuzanothaflip

That must include you if you posted here.

mechag2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 mechag2
Member since 2003 • 169 Posts

Guys, the following link to IGNWii has an article that explains everything in detail on why the motion functionality in the PS3 controller is extremely limited when compared to the Wii controller. Check it out, it will answer a lot of questions and clear up any misconceptions that "PS3 just killed Wii".

http://ignwii.com/

agallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 agallo
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts
i think its gonna be a good idea...o yea all fanboys are made the most angry are the 360 fanboys
mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 mr_specware88

i think its gonna be a good idea...o yea all fanboys are made the most angry are the 360 fanboysagallo

If only your sense of logic was booking the same speed as your PC you would be better at supporting that statement with more meatier evidence.

juzanothaflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 juzanothaflip

[QUOTE="juzanothaflip"]cant really say the impact of the controller will be that big...i mean cmon...its only gonna work for those games where you fly around...nintendo + microsoft fan boys are way just too defensivemr_specware88

not really...i could care less...all this whining is just pretty annoying

mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 mr_specware88
[QUOTE="mr_specware88"]

[QUOTE="juzanothaflip"]cant really say the impact of the controller will be that big...i mean cmon...its only gonna work for those games where you fly around...nintendo + microsoft fan boys are way just too defensivejuzanothaflip

If you cared less and found it so annoying why did you post?
mil-key-lik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 mil-key-lik
Member since 2005 • 867 Posts

I typed this a while ago...This is in response to people who think Sony is stealing Nintendo's "idea":

That type of technology is not new. Just because Nintendo is "using it" for their controllers doesn't mean that it is THEIR technology. Using actual 'kinetic control' is something that was developed long ago. Sony just decided to take advantage of it now...quit the whining and realize it was only a matter of time until it would happen. Just wait, either X360 will eventually feature this, or for sure the next Microsoft console will too. It's not Nintendo's creation, just the way they used it.

Not to mention, the way Sony is using this technology is completely different from the way Nintendo is using it. Sony's way is more of a "tilt" function for flight games, etc. Whereas Nintendo's controller can be used for fishing games where the controller is forcefully "cast" like a fishing rod....it's different.

RotaryRX7

So you're saying that Nintendo did'nt create the light gun.  You are a JOKE!   LOL.  Sony sucks, cheaters!

damagooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#123 damagooon
Member since 2004 • 3326 Posts

Well. This proves it, SONY is the smartest company ever. I swear. They redesigned controller so it looks just like the PS2 one.. AND the got the ONLY THING that was going to save Nintendo.

Yes, Sony is a thief. But it is a dirty world, and only the smart ones survive.

mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 mr_specware88
[QUOTE="RotaryRX7"]

I typed this a while ago...This is in response to people who think Sony is stealing Nintendo's "idea":

That type of technology is not new. Just because Nintendo is "using it" for their controllers doesn't mean that it is THEIR technology. Using actual 'kinetic control' is something that was developed long ago. Sony just decided to take advantage of it now...quit the whining and realize it was only a matter of time until it would happen. Just wait, either X360 will eventually feature this, or for sure the next Microsoft console will too. It's not Nintendo's creation, just the way they used it.

Not to mention, the way Sony is using this technology is completely different from the way Nintendo is using it. Sony's way is more of a "tilt" function for flight games, etc. Whereas Nintendo's controller can be used for fishing games where the controller is forcefully "cast" like a fishing rod....it's different.

mil-key-lik

So you're saying that Nintendo did'nt create the light gun.  You are a JOKE!   LOL.  Sony sucks, cheaters!

^ Loves this guy.
juzanothaflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 juzanothaflip
[QUOTE="juzanothaflip"][QUOTE="mr_specware88"]

[QUOTE="juzanothaflip"]cant really say the impact of the controller will be that big...i mean cmon...its only gonna work for those games where you fly around...nintendo + microsoft fan boys are way just too defensivemr_specware88

If you cared less and found it so annoying why did you post?

i just figured id speak my mind...never really posted on gamespot forums...

Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

so yeah lets break this down:

1: nintendo people mad cus sony stole the wiimote

2: MS people mad cus sony stole xbox live

3: even the mac/itunes people are mad for them taking the music downloads

oh yeah the dual shock is the most uncomfortable controller ever they should have done a seriouse upgrade in comfortability BOOOOO

Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

Well. This proves it, SONY is the smartest company ever. I swear. They redesigned controller so it looks just like the PS2 one.. AND the got the ONLY THING that was going to save Nintendo.

Yes, Sony is a thief. But it is a dirty world, and only the smart ones survive.

damagooon

a classic example of the team america world police line about d*cks, pu**ies, and a**holes

iateyourfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 iateyourfood
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24600486 sony didn't steal it. and what is the big deal about the controller? WHO CARES IF THEY "STOLE" THE IDEA. just shut up and be happy that you got a new design instead of the boomerang. people just have to complain about everything.
mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 mr_specware88
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24600486 sony didn't steal it. and what is the big deal about the controller? WHO CARES IF THEY "STOLE" THE IDEA. just shut up and be happy that you got a new design instead of the boomerang. people just have to complain about everything.iateyourfood
What are you talking about! We dont complain about everything! LOL JK
juzanothaflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 juzanothaflip
i bet atleast half the people here complaining about the controller will buy a ps3
con_safo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 con_safo
I think you guys are missing the point. The silver controller goes to the SILVER playstation. that would look silly having a silver controller to a black ps3.
Avatar image for cheechee_dawson
cheechee_dawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 cheechee_dawson
Member since 2005 • 202 Posts

The guy who sais that the PS3 controller was a rip of of the "Wii".

You're an idiot. I belive you owe Sony an apology. Sony came out with the PS3 idea way befor any "Wii" ideas came into play. They even state in the conference that it's thier best kept secret. So shut up you effin' noob. Ryan454

HEY HEY, CALM DOWN!  And anyways I bet if sony (I'm not capitalizing sony for a reason) came with the idea before Nintendo ,they would have revieled it last E3.

txrat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 txrat0
Member since 2005 • 136 Posts
Would sony have included the Gyro in this controller is Nintendo hadn't put one in the Wii controller?

No.

So Sony is ripping off the ideas of Nintendo.
mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 mr_specware88

[QUOTE="Ryan454"]The guy who sais that the PS3 controller was a rip of of the "Wii".

You're an idiot. I belive you owe Sony an apology. Sony came out with the PS3 idea way befor any "Wii" ideas came into play. They even state in the conference that it's thier best kept secret. So shut up you effin' noob. cheechee_dawson

HEY HEY, CALM DOWN!  And anyways I bet if sony (I'm not capitalizing sony for a reason) came with the idea before Nintendo ,they would have revieled it last E3.

^ Smart man if only we had more people like this guy.
bmanmiamips3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 bmanmiamips3
you are completly correct sony has now the best of both worlds with the playstation network platform and the motion sensative controller only thing is the online is free and the controller is held in two hands. so you got the best of both worlds with 360 and wii in the PS3
Skyline66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Skyline66
Member since 2005 • 33 Posts

Not saying that they copied or anything but now that they waited it seems very dull and out of date with what Sony is doing. They seem to be struggling on the orginality end of things. Personally I loved the PS and PS2 but now its just getting repititive and old. Im going to switch to Microsoft and Nintendo soon, no doubt.

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

Kind of a sad showing by Sony.  No compelling games.  No exeptional visuals.  No web innovation.  A silly, gimmicky addition to an already competent controller.  And a very discouraging price point.

That controller belies their confidence in their own console.  It's as if they're admitting that Nintendo beat them to something, and they're grasping to recover...  LinksterAC1

Don't know how you can tell how the games look if you are not loooking at them on a HD screen.

No compelling games that the showed at the conference. ---- There are other games games coming out during launch and after.

No web innovation   ---at least we don't have to pay.

Dog eat dog.

kdubb366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 kdubb366
Member since 2004 • 335 Posts

since the contoller is motion sensitive when we're playin a driving game can we us the controller as a steering wheel?

mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 mr_specware88

Not saying that they copied or anything but now that they waited it seems very dull and out of date with what Sony is doing. They seem to be struggling on the orginality end of things. Personally I loved the PS and PS2 but now its just getting repititive and old. Im going to switch to Microsoft and Nintendo soon, no doubt.

Skyline66
Join Microsoft! And be part of the 360 occult! Jk You should go with 360 if you need next-gen now or you could wait and go with Nintendo. Eighter way it beats the hell ouf of $500 dollars for something thats like an SUV its filled with all the features you possibly wont ever use.
bmanmiamips3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 bmanmiamips3
HEY WANT TO SEE THE NEW PS3 CONTROLLER JUST COPY AND PASTE THIS WEBSITE TO YOUR ADDRESS BAR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Controller
mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 mr_specware88
HEY WANT TO SEE THE NEW PS3 CONTROLLER JUST COPY AND PASTE THIS WEBSITE TO YOUR ADDRESS BAR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Controller bmanmiamips3
OH MY GOD! Do I EVER! lol
bamf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 bamf03
Member since 2003 • 1205 Posts
Criticism is always in the minority. Ferarri can launch a new car and there will be the few who will criticize the design. Gladly no one listens to this criticism.

I felt that allot of people liked the original design of the dual shock controller so why change it, and why add a motion sensor? At least it will be optional, I hate to be forced to use a motion sensor controller.

Wasn't the Eyetoy motion sensor? Didn't Sony have a patent for this magic wand controller that uses motion sensor, and the patent was before Nintendo anounced their controller. All this first and then Nintendo comes out with a motion sensor controller.
The Nintendo controller is differnt to the eyetoy yet uses motion sensors. The difference is that its a different motion sensor technology and different way of using it. The PS3 controller uses a different motion sensor technology to Nintendo's and you use it differently yet they say Sony is copying Nintendo. If we was to use the same logic that would mean Nintendo is copying Sony because Sony used motion sensors first in the eyetoy before any thoughts of motion sensor came in Iwata'a head.

In my eyes Sony is just advancing the motion technology from the last gen with the eyetoy to this gen on the PS3.

acecombat154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#144 acecombat154
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts

TX U GOD THE CONTROLLER IS NOT A BOMMERANGE!

FuzzyBunny55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#145 FuzzyBunny55
Member since 2003 • 2561 Posts
Haven't seen this anywhere else but there is and article on Digg claiming that the Dualshock 3 will not feature force feedback because it interfered with the sensors. I imagine that decision probably had something to do with their lawsuit over force feedback too.
cvasquez311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 cvasquez311
Member since 2004 • 962 Posts
Are you all on crack? the PS2 controller design is the best controller ever designed! sorry for all of you who have over/undersized hands, blame it on your parents. that boomerang controller look like it felt stupid and uncomfortable to hold.  And about the motion sensing, Nintendo fanboys need to get a life. Life ain't fair, quit whining like 7 year old girls who just lost the heads off their barbie dolls.
RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

Criticism is always in the minority. Ferarri can launch a new car and there will be the few who will criticize the design. Gladly no one listens to this criticism.

I felt that allot of people liked the original design of the dual shock controller so why change it, and why add a motion sensor? At least it will be optional, I hate to be forced to use a motion sensor controller.

Wasn't the Eyetoy motion sensor? Didn't Sony have a patent for this magic wand controller that uses motion sensor, and the patent was before Nintendo anounced their controller. All this first and then Nintendo comes out with a motion sensor controller.
The Nintendo controller is differnt to the eyetoy yet uses motion sensors. The difference is that its a different motion sensor technology and different way of using it. The PS3 controller uses a different motion sensor technology to Nintendo's and you use it differently yet they say Sony is copying Nintendo. If we was to use the same logic that would mean Nintendo is copying Sony because Sony used motion sensors first in the eyetoy before any thoughts of motion sensor came in Iwata'a head.

In my eyes Sony is just advancing the motion technology from the last gen with the eyetoy to this gen on the PS3.
 bamf03

Only games that use the motion control you will use it.  it will not be for every game.

mr_specware88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 mr_specware88

bamf03
"The Nintendo controller is differnt to the eyetoy yet uses motion sensors." Duh. "The PS3 controller uses a different motion sensor technology to Nintendo's and you use it differently"Duh "If was to use the same logic that would mean Nintendo is copying Sony because Sony used motion sensors first in the eyetoy before any thoughts of motion sensor came in Iwata'a head." Duh. Wow you just took everything that was said here and restated it in a summary! Whopee!
insane956dv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 insane956dv
Member since 2005 • 1337 Posts

control is fine by me, dont fix what aint broken. just sucks for FPS

bamf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 bamf03
Member since 2003 • 1205 Posts
Sony came up with this motion sensor idea first, that's how you have the eyetoy. I did read that the idea came from scuber divers using this technology under water to detect jelly fish, something like that. So Sony defiantly did not copy Nintendo. Then Phil Harrison talks about motion sensors in the PS3 and how they would like to use a wand of some sort, and that article is dated november 2003 well before Nintendo's ideas of motion sensors. Then the technology is patened sometime in 20004. The only thing that Sony copied was the using the technology in the joypad which is better than buying the wand.