$399 40GB PS3 is coming!!

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#52 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Sweet, looks like I have a reason to camp out at my local Best Buy come the holiday season.
phan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 phan1
Member since 2004 • 125 Posts
You know a system has no games when it has to resort to a price drop to sell anything this holiday season. I'm sure this is set up to counter the other 2 systems which actually have some games. At least Sony is bright enough that they realize they don't have anything for the holiday season and is doing something to not get killed.
SicBMX84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 SicBMX84
Member since 2005 • 793 Posts
If this is right. Sony is looking really hard at this year, because $400 for a 40gb PS3 and a free Blu-ray movie. I think it good. let hope it right. Just one thing, We need really good games to come out for it.
clsnbrdr616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 clsnbrdr616
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts
i'm happy to hear that they could be doing this... maybe my friend will finally get one so we can play online...

but this changing/dropping system configurations every 3 months to me seems kinda stupid/annoying. I hope they finally get 1-2 configurations and just stick with those for a while. If they keep changing it all the time, customers are gonna get confused and I think it just kind of looks bad.

Let's hope this move helps. :)
XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts
I think that it'd be stupid to introduce another SKU, that'd mean 4 different skus over the course of a year. And with two SKUs scrapped already. I think a better move would be to keep the 60 around w/o EE for 400 and the 80 for 500. That'd be much better sure they'd be losing more money per console but it'd look a lot better. And MOVE so many units this holiday season. That along with some exclusives: drakes, ratchet, haze, UT3, and with MGS, GTA, K2 due in early 2008 it'd be the greatest business move Sony could make, and make up for all the terrible, terrible ones they've made so far.
austin_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 austin_is_god
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts

If they do this, it is getting beyond a joke. First the useless 20gb along with the 60 which was a dumb idea, god knows why they are STILL releasing them in Japan! Then the 80gb and now a 40gb? So much for "we want 1 SKU so unlike other systems we wont confuse the consumer" Yea riiiiiight.

They should just bite the bullet and make the 80GB $399 in the US/39,980yen in Japan and also make a drop in Australia and the U.K/Europe for a limited time over the Christmas period and then go back to $499 etc with 2 of whatever games are the hottest at the time. They would be losing more money on the system dropping it to $399 but the system sales they would gain would more than make up for it in the end. Afterall, THE most important thing for sony right now, is to get the system into people's homes. Expanding the user base is the ONLY way they are going to regain developer support which they are losing in droves right now. Their first party titles haven't been steller so far and those titles cannot support the system for much longer.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
i already have one...but now more people will be able to afford one
mushi799

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mushi799
Member since 2006 • 1163 Posts
$400, great deal i might my bro one for christmas, dude always hogging my ps3
Yng-ePIc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Yng-ePIc
Member since 2005 • 804 Posts
I'm not waiting for it, getting mines this friday. I'll rather pay 100 dollars more, and get the 60 gig emotion engine PS3. Plus, they have the5 blu-ray movie rebate going on, can't pass on the deal.
ParkwayDrive34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ParkwayDrive34
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
If its true, do you think it would be released in Australia as well? If it is, they better not take out the wifi and hdmi port and stuff.....
Avatar image for fallendamnation
fallendamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 fallendamnation
Member since 2004 • 5981 Posts
it might help sales, but the x360 still has halo 3 and mass effect this holdiay which believe it or not, is more of a system-seller than warhawk and HSstygiansanity
You forgot about drakes fortune, Ratchett and Clank, Unreal Tournament 3
icantmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 icantmymom
Member since 2003 • 459 Posts
Wasn't the price cut going to occur at the Tokyo Game Show?
slyydevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 slyydevil
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

Wasn't the price cut going to occur at the Tokyo Game Show? icantmymom

No not necessarily, Sony have some cards up their sleeves for the holidays and blowing thier load at the TGS wouldn't be right since folks will hold out until that date come. Selling whatever units they're selling right now is still better than nothing. My guess is this: $499 80 GB and $399 40 GB on the exact date of the PS3's birthday which is a Saturday (new retail sales begin Sunday) and just so happens to be the week of Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the country. Lastly, Sony still have to get through the rest of those 60's which should be gone by then...

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#65 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

heres my question who would buy that , sony should have just kept the 60 gb version and dropped the price on it to 399,99 $ also should have kept the 20 gb but nope now they wanna 40 gb i bet a 50 gb is next theyll discontinue the biggest hdd that is the 80 gb etc

icantmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 icantmymom

heres my question who would buy that , sony should have just kept the 60 gb version and dropped the price on it to 399,99 $ also should have kept the 20 gb but nope now they wanna 40 gb i bet a 50 gb is next theyll discontinue the biggest hdd that is the 80 gb etc

mariokart64fan

That is a good point, but I think Sony beleives they would lose a great deal of money by doing that.

demonik_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 demonik_360
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts

if this happen......

let me go on record n say....

The Playstation 3 will be number 1 with sales this holiday season.

Rangitahi
In pride,ill hold you to it. :D
demonik_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 demonik_360
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

icantmymom

That is a good point, but I think Sony beleives they would lose a great deal of money by doing that.

they did metntion they were able to cut production tho...but they got to get that system out there somehow...look at micrsoft they havnt made A DIME off the xbox...
icantmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 icantmymom
The PS 3 sales increased by 125 % with the $ 100 price cut, so another price reduction would increase the sales even more.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#70 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

[QUOTE="guyhunter"][QUOTE="ghettokid15"]do u think this will be bc though tomgps

I would be amazed if any new PS3s included the Emotion Engine. I really don't see why it is a bad thing the PAL PS3 has been running software emulation for months now, and given all the power of the Cell that really isn't a bad thing.

I doubt it. The new 80GB units don't have the EE.

That being said, I don't think it's grounds for scouring eBay for a launch day 60GB unit. We buy new consoles for new games. And the software emulation should cover most if not all of the big titles that were on the PS1/PS2. I just happen to enjoy FF8 a lot which at last check, did not run on EE-less PS3 models.

Actually it does run. Im playing it now. The only issue is the following: When the battle scene appears (you know, the old blurry screen) instead of seeing that blurry screen, you will see that half is black. Nothing else. In fact, Ive tried some of the "issue" games and they rarely occur. Examples: VP 2: Silmeria, SO3: TtEoT; MGS 3: Subsistence and no problem with them. VP 2 though had issues of fr4eezing even on the PS2 so no new stuff here. The BC of the EE-Less consoles is not terrible. In fact, the only game I have and that doesnt work is the new Hack 3. And Im 100 sure that on the next updt it will be working. Though they dont announce it, the BC is increased on every patch

six_shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 six_shot
Member since 2007 • 1388 Posts
im just gonna hold off till the holidays to get a ps3...i really want a price cut
lrsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lrsp
Member since 2005 • 769 Posts
I so hope that this is true! Finally I can make my decision as to which next gen console to get.
armedanddeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 armedanddeadly
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

The PS 3 sales increased by 125 % with the $ 100 price cut, so another price reduction would increase the sales even more. icantmymom

just because there making more sales doesnt mean there making more money if they do this they will lose a great deal of money. i think this is stupid.

Deviltrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Deviltrigger
Member since 2003 • 343 Posts

well if you can read in n4g.com the kaz hirai opinion on price drop. well he says the ps3 problem is not the price but the games, a console to be productive needs games, he also said sony is going to invest and support more software houses for games from now on.

"Going aggressive only on price without being able to back it up with content doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me," he said. Hirai added that a price cut would have a "real impact" on hardware sales only if Sony also provided enough software titles to support the PS3."

"The most important thing for me at this point in time is to ensure that we have the breadth of software," the chief executive of Sony's video game unit,Kazuo Hirai, toldthe Wall Street Journalat the Tokyo Game Show industry conference.

"Price alone does not drive any product."

Hirai said that he would improve communications with publishers, so that they will have a better idea of what Sony was planning. Publishers would also have input into Sony's marketing strategy.

In an astounding move, Hirai also said that Sony will start marketing the PS3 as a games console, rather than as a super computer/home entertainment device. Apparently he's realized that gamers above everything want a games console first and foremost.

It's sad that he opened his eyes so late.

MalachiLiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MalachiLiu
Member since 2003 • 462 Posts

well if you can read in n4g.com the kaz hirai opinion on price drop. well he says the ps3 problem is not the price but the games, a console to be productive needs games, he also said sony is going to invest and support more software houses for games from now on.

"Going aggressive only on price without being able to back it up with content doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me," he said. Hirai added that a price cut would have a "real impact" on hardware sales only if Sony also provided enough software titles to support the PS3."

"The most important thing for me at this point in time is to ensure that we have the breadth of software," the chief executive of Sony's video game unit,Kazuo Hirai, toldthe Wall Street Journalat the Tokyo Game Show industry conference.

"Price alone does not drive any product."

Hirai said that he would improve communications with publishers, so that they will have a better idea of what Sony was planning. Publishers would also have input into Sony's marketing strategy.

In an astounding move, Hirai also said that Sony will start marketing the PS3 as a games console, rather than as a super computer/home entertainment device. Apparently he's realized that gamers above everything want a games console first and foremost.

It's sad that he opened his eyes so late.

Deviltrigger

agreed.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#76 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
Not happening.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#77 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

this doesnt make sense...there is now way 20 gigs cost 200 bones..

there must be something else lacking from that bundel..if not then great since you can just put in a bigger hd for cheap as chips..

ive got a 60g and its enough and so will 40.

sk00piep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 sk00piep
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

[QUOTE="icantmymom"]Wasn't the price cut going to occur at the Tokyo Game Show? slyydevil

No not necessarily, Sony have some cards up their sleeves for the holidays and blowing thier load at the TGS wouldn't be right since folks will hold out until that date come. Selling whatever units they're selling right now is still better than nothing. My guess is this: $499 80 GB and $399 40 GB on the exact date of the PS3's birthday which is a Saturday (new retail sales begin Sunday) and just so happens to be the week of Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the country. Lastly, Sony still have to get through the rest of those 60's which should be gone by then...

Already own a 160g PS3 but was still bankin on the price cut at TGS to get it in the hands of more of my friends. You have a really good point about dropping the price at the 1 year anniversary though, I didn't even think of that but you sound like you might just be correct. In a month where 2 of the biggest PS3 exclusives come out ( UT3, Uncharted) combined with the up coming holiday and black friday, seems like the pefrect time to DROP.

bam706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 bam706
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts
just make sure you get warhawk and come meet elite2384 in the air.!
bam706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 bam706
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts
just make sure you get warhawk and come meet elite2384 in the air.!
icantmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 icantmymom

[QUOTE="icantmymom"]The PS 3 sales increased by 125 % with the $ 100 price cut, so another price reduction would increase the sales even more. armedanddeadly

just because there making more sales doesnt mean there making more money if they do this they will lose a great deal of money. i think this is stupid.

Stupid? Do you work for Sony or something? Gamers would love to see a $ 400 PS 3.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts
f this happened and with warhawk and other great games coming out the ps3 will soon come out on top every month. I dont know if its true its only a rumor
icantmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 icantmymom
Is the $ 400 PS 3 going to happen before or after Thanksgiving?
jay_k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#85 jay_k3
Member since 2006 • 477 Posts
Awesome, I am definitely getting the 40 gig PS3.
stickstick86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 stickstick86
Member since 2007 • 751 Posts
i really really hope this is true because i want a ps3 but i have a question, what do you peoplecall holiday? what date is that? is it december november or what? thankss
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts
has this rumor been confirmed? i didn't really follow TGS, so i dont know if an announcement was made.
MaximumD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#88 MaximumD
Member since 2007 • 1506 Posts
If this is real, I believe many people will buy the PS3. However, if they lower it to $300, it'll sell like Hotcakes.
icantmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 icantmymom

has this rumor been confirmed? i didn't really follow TGS, so i dont know if an announcement was made.c0mplex

Did not happen at TGS.

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
A $399 PS3 will happen either early 2008 with the strong lineup of games or this holiday season want to know why? Sony has found so many ways to reduce the production cost of the PS3 and they also stated that they found a new way at TGS so expect one soon.
Out_Kast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Out_Kast3000
Member since 2007 • 358 Posts

I've been telling a lot of people about this. It's definitely true. They probly won't announce it til around christmas time though.

Snake_Cro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Snake_Cro
Member since 2003 • 325 Posts
400$ for ps3 eint bad looks like i might get me one after all.
pdias_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 pdias_92
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts

What about the 60 GB PS3?

Avatar image for Ratchetbuddy101
Ratchetbuddy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#94 Ratchetbuddy101
Member since 2006 • 6098 Posts

pdias_92

Discontinued. :(

And I think the price drop will really help PS3's sales since it's in range of the Elite's price now. :D

icantmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 icantmymom
[QUOTE="pdias_92"]

Ratchetbuddy101

Discontinued. :(

And I think the price drop will really help PS3's sales since it's in range of the Elite's price now. :D

The fact that it is discontinued is a good thing because the 80 GB will be $ 500.

PandaSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 PandaSamurai
Member since 2004 • 1152 Posts

it might help sales, but the x360 still has halo 3 and mass effect this holdiay which believe it or not, is more of a system-seller than warhawk and HSstygiansanity

And amazing variety of games from pretty much EVERY genre. 27 RPGs (including those planned for a release soon) ftw. I have a 360, and I love it. However, unless Halo 3 becomes 20 bucks or less, I'm not buying it. Probably not getting Mass Effect either. There are tons of other games.

JustOneSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 JustOneSpark
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
And a star is born...
icantmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 icantmymom
If Microsoft does not rectify the Red Ring of Death flaw, then I expect Sony to win the console wars by 2009. This is because of the price drop PS 3. But if Microsoft does resolve the Red Ring of Death glitch, then I expect no company to win the console wars.
espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#99 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
How awesome would it be if they dropped the card readers, the wi-fi and put the HD at 20GB, they could reatil a model like that for probably $299. I would never buy it but Nintendo has proven that people just want cheap things.
stickstick86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 stickstick86
Member since 2007 • 751 Posts

i hope this is true cause i want to get one...that holiday you say is when? november? im not from the usa....that explain my question and alsothe reason of why im so bad writing on english...