Windows 10 is looking great

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

- And finally some dedication to PC Gaming

- Microsoft HoloLens

- Surface Hub

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Looks ok

What did they announce for PC gamers?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Here's my round-up of the announcements:

Resizeable Start Menu, Continuum, tablet/PC Mode, windows Modern apps, unified Control Panel, universal apps: Finally, Microsoft gets it! You don't need to force a single OS with a single UI to work on tablets and PCs, you just need one OS that behaves differently in different devices! Why wasn't all this in Windows 8.0?

Free upgrade for Windows 8.1 and 7 users for one year: I'm aware of that Microsoft were considering this for 8.1 users, but having them announce it for 7 users as well was a pleasant surprise. I'll jump in with my 8.1 laptop first for a few months, then if I think it's all clear, I'll follow suit with my 7 desktop.

DirectX 12: The most compelling reason to upgrade to Win 10. And with the upgrade being free to 8.1 and 7 users, there is sure to be more games that actually use it this time.

Fable Legends for Windows 10 with DirectX 12 and cross-platform play through a new XBox app that with social features for non-XBox games, supports DVR and streaming from XBox One: Eh.

Cortana: sounds like a feature I'm either gonna end up marrying or switch off.

Spartan: Sorry, Microsoft, but there is no cure for Netscalgia. Even Firefox is more like insulin shots for a diabetic than a treatment. That it was you who caused it in the first place didn't help either.

Surface Hub: Basically a giant Surface tablet the size of a TV.

Holograms: ...what?!!

Motherfreaking augmented reality headset that makes motherfreaking holograms that lets you go to motherfreaking Mars: ... ...tell me more.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Ehh, still not interested in Windows. Linux has made shitloads of progress as well.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I have a question I'm wondering if any of you can answer: Since anybody with W7 or newer are eligible for a free upgrade to W10, would it also work if I want to install W10 on a new SSD rather than my current HDD?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

@ianhh6 said:

I have a question I'm wondering if any of you can answer: Since anybody with W7 or newer are eligible for a free upgrade to W10, would it also work if I want to install W10 on a new SSD rather than my current HDD?

No one knows the finer details yet.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FelipeInside

@R4gn4r0k said:

Looks ok

The whole inbuilt streaming and video recording etc.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Forgive my skepticism but every time Microsoft releases a new Operating System they claim to be "rededicating" themselves to PC gaming.

/yawn

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

Forgive my skepticism but every time Microsoft releases a new Operating System they claim to be "rededicating" themselves to PC gaming.

/yawn

I totally agree, but at least this time they have showed some features which are PC Gaming based.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

I totally agree, but at least this time they have showed some features which are PC Gaming based.

Oh, I couldn't be bothered to watch the video. I figured it was the same old dog and pony show Microsoft trots out ever few years to appease us groundlings. So, what are these Pc gaming features? I hope it's more than Xbox Live and SmartGlass integration. Ugh...

BarrySumuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BarrySumuru
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Well here are the highlights of the Win 10 announcement in about 8 minutes. http://c.mily.co/413t76 Giant touchscreens, holographic glasses, and a new OS.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

Oh, I couldn't be bothered to watch the video. I figured it was the same old dog and pony show Microsoft trots out ever few years to appease us groundlings. So, what are these Pc gaming features? I hope it's more than Xbox Live and SmartGlass integration. Ugh...

Watch the whole video.

Windows 10 has some great features apart from the gaming (all explained in the video).

The PC features so far are mostly streaming and recording gameplay.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

In a nut shell, DirectX 12 and the DVR game recording feature that you find one xbox one is now available on PC. Also, not necessarily a PC gaming feature but you can now stream play your xbox one games on your PC.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

- Surface Hub

Havent MS already been beta testing this all summer long in Australia?

I've definitely seen a huge TV/Surface tablet on channel 9 during the cricket test series, and they are still using it for the upcoming world cup I think.

It even has the MS logo.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@GTR12 said:
@FelipeInside said:

- Surface Hub

I've definitely seen a huge TV/Surface tablet on channel 9 during the cricket test series, and they are still using it for the upcoming world cup I think.

It even has the MS logo.

I believe it was an older version of the Surface Hub, or more like just a big touch TV with Windows on it.

This is a whole revamped Hub OS specially made for that.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

DX12, W10 and Hololens are looking fantastic. Kudos to MS.

How in the world a crippled version of Shadowplay and having to spend $350 on a closed console box to stream to a most likely higher spec machine is "dedicated" to PC gaming still eludes me.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

Umm.. What features?

Recording: We already have a lot of applications that can do that, and I really doubt that whatever they're adding is gonna be better than Shadowplay.

Streaming Xbox games to the PC: That's an Xbox feature, useless for PC gamers.

Literally the only reason to upgrade is dx12, whenever games actually start using it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

@harry_james_pot said:

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

Umm.. What features?

Recording: We already have a lot of applications that can do that, and I really doubt that whatever they're adding is gonna be better than Shadowplay.

Literally the only reason to upgrade is dx12, whenever games actually start using it.

Those are just the ones they announced, there are more coming (I think).

I know there are applications that can record, doesn't mean it's not a new feature for Windows does it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

I've seen 0 pc focus. They even called it "The Xbox Experience".

I never seen any of you fellows running round crying out for a console port of Fable: a steam app for Xbox or Xbox game streaminng.

How the **** is that pc gaming? it's not. It's garbage. Everything about that was to promote Xbox gaming, not pc gaming.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup

I've seen 0 pc focus. They even called it "The Xbox Experience".

@harry_james_pot said:

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

Umm.. What features?

Extactamundo.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mozuckint
@FelipeInside said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

Umm.. What features?

I know there are applications that can record, doesn't mean it's not a new feature for Windows does it?

New is only half of what I want. The other half is utility.

Unless the majority of your friends are on XBL, Game DVR is quite literally USELESS and outright crap compared to every other equivalent solution on the market. In fact, most of the announcements are worthless unless you already own or have an interest in purchasing an Xbox one.

Microsoft promised dedication to PC gaming, all I saw was "We kinda remembered PC gaming exists so here is a new DirectX, oh and by the way....XBOX XBOX XBOX".

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GTR12

@FelipeInside said:

@GTR12 said:
@FelipeInside said:

- Surface Hub

It even has the MS logo.

I believe it was an older version of the Surface Hub, or more like just a big touch TV with Windows on it.

I was kinda curious about what they had so I gave them (ch 9) a call and just asked what TV touchscreen they were using.

The guy on the other end told me to wait and he'll ask, came back 10 mins later saying it was "a big Microsoft tablet that they sent us to test, and they are one of the sponsors"

I asked if its just for the cricket and he said no, it has presentation capabilities and voice search (Cortana?)

He didn't know anything else, so I just said thanks and hung up.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
@Mozuckint said:
@FelipeInside said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

Umm.. What features?

New is only half of what I want. The other half is utility.

Unless the majority of your friends are on XBL, Game DVR is quite literally USELESS and outright crap compared to every other equivalent solution on the market. In fact, most of the announcements are worthless unless you already own or have an interest in purchasing an Xbox one.

Microsoft promised dedication to PC gaming, all I saw was "We kinda remembered PC gaming exists so here is a new DirectX, oh and by the way....XBOX XBOX XBOX".

Ok. So it doesn't have that many PC gaming features. Did everyone ignore all the other new features of Win10?

@GTR12 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GTR12 said:
@FelipeInside said:

- Surface Hub

It even has the MS logo.

I was kinda curious about what they had so I gave them (ch 9) a call and just asked what TV touchscreen they were using.

The guy on the other end told me to wait and he'll ask, came back 10 mins later saying it was "a big Microsoft tablet that they sent us to test, and they are one of the sponsors"

I asked if its just for the cricket and he said no, it has presentation capabilities and voice search (Cortana?)

He didn't know anything else, so I just said thanks and hung up.

Maybe they are testing it already then???

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GTR12

@FelipeInside:

To be honest, I hope they are testing it, maybe another TV maker in MS, and if they are testing already, then it means less bugs in W10 on release day.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

@GTR12 said:

@FelipeInside:

To be honest, I hope they are testing it, maybe another TV maker in MS, and if they are testing already, then it means less bugs in W10 on release day.

Hopefully.

I remember they did release something a few years back called Surface Hub, but it wasn't the same as this... and it never took off. Maybe this is just a revamped version.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

So Windows 10 is gonna be subscription based? Oh boy, I can't wait to see how much Micro$$$soft are gonna charge a month.

Start button DLC $19.99.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

To be honest, I am still happy with 7 and don't want to "upgrade".

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

To be honest, I am still happy with 7 and don't want to "upgrade".

@harry_james_pot said:

@FelipeInside said:

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

/yawn

Umm.. What features?

Well I don't know if you have see the hololens, but that thing looks revolutionary, well maybe not but that's another one that jumps on the vr wagon

I for one am excited.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@saintsatan said:

So Windows 10 is gonna be subscription based? Oh boy, I can't wait to see how much Micro$$$soft are gonna charge a month.

Start button DLC $19.99.

It's not. I don't get what is causing this much confusion.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mozuckint
@FelipeInside said:

Ok. So it doesn't have that many PC gaming features. Did everyone ignore all the other new features of Win10?

No. I myself stated in a previous post in this exact thread that I liked Windows 10, DX 12, and Hololens. The new browser looks nice, Universal apps will be great, and playing to the strength of each platform is exactly what Microsoft needed to do.

However they also told PC gamers that they would do more. Upgrading DirectX is barely acknowledging Existence. Everything else? Was for Xbox gamers with PC's and PC owners who planned on getting a console, not PC gamers.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2453 Posts

Here you go:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-microsoft-franchises-coming-to-windows-10/1100-6424808/

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 uninspiredcup

Don't give a shit. Pc gamers. Pc not a dumping ground for Xbox: get fucked.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Looks ok

The whole inbuilt streaming and video recording etc.

That's ok. Nothing ground breaking for PC gamers.

Legends is nice and all, but not personally a game I would play.

Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2. Those are games I would like to see ported over.

And a new AOE/AOM/RON is what I want when MS is interested in making PC exclusive again.

Let's hope this is the start of more.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Not at all, it does have a lot of new features, it's just not "dedicated to PC gaming" like you described. :P

@commander said:

Well I don't know if you have see the hololens, but that thing looks revolutionary, well maybe not but that's another one that jumps on the vr wagon

I for one am excited.

I did. I also saw the first Kinect video.. Remember how that ended up like?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

@commander said:

I for one am excited.

I did. I also saw the first Kinect video.. Remember how that ended up like?

Well the first kinect video may have games in it that never were developped but a lot of games were developped that were quite similar, still there's isn't much choice out there. Why? because motion control gaming doesn't work very well in front of a 2d screen. I for one tried a lot of motion controls out there. I had the ps move, the wii, the wii motion plus, the balance board. I even had a gun for the playstation. Some people might like it, but to me it only stayed fun for a short time and that is because it's missing something and that is a 3d experience.

The screen has to be 3d and/or you have to be able to move around in a 3d world. I have been noticing that one doesn't work very well without the other. The kinect let's you move around freely in a 3d world, but a 2d screen pretty much handicaps a lot of movement and potential, you could see it with a lot of motion control games, in the end we got railshooters. A 3d screen (like a vr helmet) can be nice for some games , but in the end it will just be a nice gimmick for a while. Spaceship games can only go so far and while elite is a magnificent game the oculus rift or any other vr helmet is capable of a lot lot more.

This hololens can make that possible. I've been waiting desperately for something like the virtuix omni that let's you run around in a VR world while staying still in the real world and it will come soon, but it will also be pricey. This hololens might actually not be such a bad idea, since it has camera's , it can provide some sort of positional tracking and make your room/mancave/garage/whatever into a vr world. If they're going to do it is another story.

But new tech always starts with ups and downs. Remember the sega cd, the analog stick, the mouse and mouselook, the first gpu's, the n gage, the virtual boy. Some fail some don't, some don't seem to have any use while suddenly 20 years later they've found the perfect use. VR is coming wether you want or not, if this hololens is going to play a big part in it remains to be seen, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. The only real solution for vr is now an omnidirectional threadmill, but it's way to expensive to be viable as a general consumer product.

This hololens could be a great alternative

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FelipeInside

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

I really don't know how to feel about this. Project Spartan for the browser, Cortana for helping us search our computers or to help us with Spartan? They also really seem to be trying to integrate Xbox One into the PC experience which I think is an awful idea because most of us here just don't want that. All we want is Halo and Forza and Gears properly ported over to PC. Not the crap they are trying to shove down our throats. Hmm, I think that's how I really feel about it. It feels like they are trying to shove Xbox One down PC gamers' throats. I hope to goodness I'm wrong. Maybe they actually have those games coming down the pipeline for PC. We'll see. I've got tax money coming in, and my old machine is due to be replaced this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I think i'll finally upgrade from Win7. Especially for DX12.

BUT... i have so much audio editing software that i'm afraid some of it could be incompatible, or not working properly with it. so i don't know if i'll upgrade day 1.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mozuckint

Typical...posting internet comics when an indefensible position gets called out.

Just because the rest of us don't have a shallow of a definition of "commitment" as you do hardly changes the fact that Microsoft's definition of "Commitment" to PC gaming is basically nothing short of "Here, have some Xbox!"

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FelipeInside
@psx_warrior said:

I really don't know how to feel about this. Project Spartan for the browser, Cortana for helping us search our computers or to help us with Spartan? They also really seem to be trying to integrate Xbox One into the PC experience which I think is an awful idea because most of us here just don't want that. All we want is Halo and Forza and Gears properly ported over to PC. Not the crap they are trying to shove down our throats. Hmm, I think that's how I really feel about it. It feels like they are trying to shove Xbox One down PC gamers' throats. I hope to goodness I'm wrong. Maybe they actually have those games coming down the pipeline for PC. We'll see. I've got tax money coming in, and my old machine is due to be replaced this year.

Ehh, Spartan and Cortana aren't on XBOX.

@Mozuckint said:

Typical...posting internet comics when an indefensible position gets called out.

Just because the rest of us don't have a shallow of a definition of "commitment" as you do hardly changes the fact that Microsoft's definition of "Commitment" to PC gaming is basically nothing short of "Here, have some Xbox!"

WTF are you on about dude? Please show me where I used the word "commitment", oh that's right, you can't.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mozuckint

I'll just humor then, since I didn't make it clear enough. You don't have to use the word...but you aren't Microsoft

Now, we are also bringing that same focus, passion, and commitment to gaming on Windows 10, enhancing the PC games and gaming devices you already love, including the Xbox One. We’ve listened and learned from our past efforts in PC gaming and I am excited about what the future holds.”

-Phil Spencer

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@Mozuckint said:

I'll just humor then, since I didn't make it clear enough. You don't have to use the word...but you aren't Microsoft

Now, we are also bringing that same focus, passion, and commitment to gaming on Windows 10, enhancing the PC games and gaming devices you already love, including the Xbox One. We’ve listened and learned from our past efforts in PC gaming and I am excited about what the future holds.”

-Phil Spencer

And from what a MS employee said you responded to MY post with "Typical...posting internet comics when an indefensible position gets called out."

Mkay then.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

- Microsoft HoloLens

- Surface Hub

no

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

- Microsoft HoloLens

- Surface Hub

no

Thanks for the constructive contribution???

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

- Microsoft HoloLens

- Surface Hub

no

np. after win10 flops like 8 and 8.1 did maybe micro$oft will realize how bad they are now and stop doing all the stupid things they've been doing.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

- Microsoft HoloLens

- Surface Hub

no

np. after win10 flops like 8 and 8.1 did maybe micro$oft will realize how bad they are now and stop doing all the stupid things they've been doing.

Labels Microsoft as Micro$oft... (hater alert !!!) :P

Anyway, MS made some interesting choices with Win8 which didn't go down too well with people, but they fixed all that with 8.1. I wouldn't call 8.1 a flop, most people are on it now and have no issues, and lots of devices have now been sold with it.

I'll call it now though, imo I think Win10 might do as good as Win7. It's bringing the best of 7 and 8 into one OS.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

I guess so. But as someone else said. We have to wait for the finer details.