Will dusting out my computer increase performance in games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Night_stalker01
Night_stalker01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Night_stalker01
Member since 2006 • 1037 Posts

I got my rig in September last year, and haven't cleaned it out since. However, today I went in to it and shot some air around, marvelling at the massive clumps of dust that flew out of my CPU and GPU fans (along with every case fan in my computer). The amount of dust in there was almost unbelievable, i was practically choking on it the whole time.

my question is: will this noticeably affect performance in games? I thought my rig wasn't running as well as possible for having 4gb of ram, a 640MB 8800GTS, and a 2.4GHz quad core processor, but I haven't had the chance to try out a couple graphics-intensive games since blowing it out. I still have visions of that 2-inch in diameter clump of dust flying out of my GPU fan, and something tells me it might run a little better after that.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Probably not, but if you had locking up or crashing problems that could help them.
PWN-Schubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 PWN-Schubie
Member since 2007 • 709 Posts
probably not, they only thing that it would improve is temperatures, if you were trying to OC, or you had problems with the system crashing it could help.
JokerCCXXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JokerCCXXII
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts
I beg to differ on this one guys. Read this for more info: http://www.askapadwe.com/123/how-can-i-speed-up-my-wow-performance/
PWN-Schubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PWN-Schubie
Member since 2007 • 709 Posts

im sorry, but im not buying that article, maybe from a reputable review site, but i have dusted my system and left it, all system performance did not change.

folding times stayed the same, game framerates the same, system ran cooler.

Nemesis4747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nemesis4747
Member since 2004 • 1104 Posts

im sorry, but im not buying that article, maybe from a reputable review site, but i have dusted my system and left it, all system performance did not change.

folding times stayed the same, game framerates the same, system ran cooler.

PWN-Schubie

Yes exactly, getting rid of dust helps with heat dissipation, it dosnt increase system performance

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
not unless its overheating
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Dusting out the computer in no way increases performance. It just makes things run a little cooler. Even if something is over-heating, the symptoms are artifacts and crashes - not reduced performance.
Mayhem48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mayhem48
Member since 2008 • 894 Posts

Your comp will run cooler, i keep my pc clean

I beg to differ on this one guys. Read this for more info: http://www.askapadwe.com/123/how-can-i-speed-up-my-wow-performance/JokerCCXXII

The only reason i can think of for increased performance when dusting your PC is that your PC runs better when its cool, i cant think of anything else that dusting has an effect on..

CreamBeav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CreamBeav
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts

not unless its overheatingimprezawrx500

WRONG

Significant dust buildup on PCB's can actually cause shorts (not like the pair I am wearing) which can cause erratic PC behaviour and ultimately hardware failure.

SSJBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 SSJBen
Member since 2003 • 7071 Posts

Plain correct answer: No.

In a way however, keeping your PC clean of dust doesn't improve performance BUT keeps your performance at where your PC is supposed to be. Too much dust will cause heat build up, in which case your CPU may throttle down its performance resulting in a general lack of performance. If you have anything OCed, againg too much dust will have these components being too hot causing you to back down on your OC settings. Lost of performance there.

This is generally nit-picking though, but anyone who OC their PC should know more than well enough to clean your PC every once a month or so.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Not unless you're overclocking, but it will make your system cooler and proberbly quiter as fans don't need to run as fast
GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts

dusting will make things better, but only on the heat side, i dusted my pc and my temps went down almost 30C

SearchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SearchMaster
Member since 2005 • 7243 Posts
Yeah, it wont affect the games performance but your system will run under lower temps and when its under load, it will run safer with lower temps and like people here said, it will give oyu more OC headroom