They Don't Make Shooters Like Doom 3 Anymore!

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

Every once in a while I fire up an old shooter to entertain myself.

Played some good "old" Doom3 today, and, boy, is itsatisfying to play an old fashioned shooter, no muss no fuss.

Sure, the story is thinner than the gstring on a Las Vegas stripper,

but it's a shooter boiled down to its essential goodness: Gun, ammo, Zombies, kill 'em all!

And the game STILL looks terrific.

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

I'm assuming 'they' is id Tech, in which case, they pretty much stopped making games anymore.

RAGE is sort of their comeback title but it doesn't look that amazing.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

Made me pay more attention to PC gaming

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
can't say doom 3 looks terrific, the charactars look kinda blocky
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I didn't like the fact that the action was in pitch darkness, also some weapons felt weak. Despite that, i had a good time.

Though if you want better old school shooters, that have aged well, i highly recommend you play Serious Sam: The First Encounter & The Second Encounter; Painkiller. Extremely entertaining games, man.

can't say doom 3 looks terrific, the charactars look kinda blockyevildead6789

It's pretty damn good for a game from 2004, ofcourse all details at max., high rez above 1080p.

Still looks great, tech behind it is pretty powerful.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Doom 3 is pretty awful.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]Doom 3 is pretty awful.edinsftw

This.

This. This indeed.

Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deathykins
Member since 2007 • 1412 Posts

I could never get into the game myself. I didn't find it even remotely immersive, which is a very important factor for FPS games for me.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#11 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Thats a good thing right?!
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
good thing because doom 3 was terrible.
Avatar image for a_sh0pping_cart
a_sh0pping_cart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 a_sh0pping_cart
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts
awful, or full of awe?! lol I thought Doom 3 was mildly fun, but it didn't hold my interest to finish it. Neither did Quake 4. =(
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

painkiller was a better doom sequel than doom 3 aka "generic corridor shooter on mars"

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

I was playing Doom3 the other week, and it was pretty good, It's a game that I found continually scary, once I played it on alaptop in a room with about 4 other people, in the middle of the day with my headphones on and I was still terrified. The only other games that Have done that are Penumbra and Silent Hill 2. I love the way the flashlight is used, the way you need to switch guns to use it, and the fear of not knowing what could be around the next corner, The level of interactivity that you have before the **** hits the fan, like the turkey puncher minigame or the PDA emails that you get from the machines, I also remembered the guy who writes a report on you close to the start, you can look over his shoulder and see what he writes about you for a little easter egg. :)

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

TC should try Necrovision.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Great game, enjoyed it more than HL2.

Had a more fleshed out story too if you picked up all the pda's laying around.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]Doom 3 is pretty awful.broken_bass_bin

This.

This. This indeed.

Very much agreed.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Its a fun game, i agree and it STILL looks very good, especially the lighting and the ai is agressive. But its not much if you think about it, its a linear corridor fps. The only thing that applies to "they dont make them like that anymore" is its extreme length and variety of enemies.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

serious sam 1st and 2nd encounter are the best no frills shooter. its like doom but without all the gloom

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Still looks great IMO. The ID Tech engine has aged very well. Especially if you compare it to the gfx eyesore of Half Life 2 which came out at around the same time.
jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]Doom 3 is pretty awful.broken_bass_bin

This.

This. This indeed.

definately this

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Still looks great IMO. The ID Tech engine has aged very well. Especially if you compare it to the gfx eyesore of Half Life 2 which came out at around the same time.jettpack

troll much?

Half life 2 is still effing gorgeous

This Doom 3 still looks good but half-life 2 has aged better imo and still looks great even today.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Played some good "old" Doom3 today, and, boy, is itsatisfying to play an old fashioned shooter, no muss no fuss.

but it's a shooter boiled down to its essential goodness: Gun, ammo, Zombies, kill 'em all!

And the game STILL looks terrific.

Ricardo41
Doom 3 isn't that "ol skool" in its approach. It included some cinematic moments and its pacing ebb and flows between closet-scare tension where nothing actually happened and a horde of enemies attacking you the next. If you really want a game that does it the way they did it in the past, you should try Serious Sam series.
Avatar image for a_sh0pping_cart
a_sh0pping_cart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 a_sh0pping_cart
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts

[QUOTE="jettpack"]

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Still looks great IMO. The ID Tech engine has aged very well. Especially if you compare it to the gfx eyesore of Half Life 2 which came out at around the same time.DJ_Headshot

troll much?

This Doom 3 still looks good but half-life 2 has aged better imo and still looks great even today.

I agree, the Source engine feels timeless. Crank up the settings in HL2:Episode 2, still feels like it belongs in this current generation. I think the Source engine turned out perfect, I think CS:S still looks great! GREAT!

I just finished HL2 and Episode One recently (on Episode 2 right now) and couldn't tell for a second that the game was using technology from 2004!

PRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PRowcester
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts
Dude, I thought Quake 4 was fantastic. Doom 3...well, I love the game, don't get me wrong, but Quake 4 was far more amazing.
GuitarPAaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GuitarPAaron
Member since 2006 • 1368 Posts

[QUOTE="jettpack"]

[QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]

This. This indeed.

iagbas

definately this

People who just say "awful" without a rational and constructive argument are just stupid.

People who call people stupid without a rational or constructive argument are just stupid. Doom 3 wasn't that good of a game. The guns were not fun to shoot. They all felt far too weak really. It wasn't that scary of a game. Having to switch between the flashlight and guns didn't build suspense for me like it was supposed to, it was just irritating. I found it to be quite boring and it just couldn't hold my attention. It was overrated and I don't think it should be the standard for what games should strive to be.
GuitarPAaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GuitarPAaron
Member since 2006 • 1368 Posts

Dude, I thought Quake 4 was fantastic. Doom 3...well, I love the game, don't get me wrong, but Quake 4 was far more amazing. PRowcester

I too had mroe fun with quake 4

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

[QUOTE="jettpack"]

[QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]

This. This indeed.

iagbas

definately this

People who just say "awful" without a rational and constructive argument are just stupid.

So are the people that just say "good" without a rational and constructive argument also stupid? How about people that stay neutral and say "decent", or others that just say it is "fun"? Why do people need to explain their own opinions? By this reasoning everyone that uses facebook and hits the "like" button is an idiot because they don't always explain why...

Also you fit your own saying by not explaining by saying what you did without giving us a rational and constructive argument.

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

[QUOTE="iagbas"]

[QUOTE="jettpack"]

definately this

GuitarPAaron

People who call people stupid without a rational or constructive argument are just stupid. Doom 3 wasn't that good of a game. The guns were not fun to shoot. They all felt far too weak really. It wasn't that scary of a game. Having to switch between the flashlight and guns didn't build suspense for me like it was supposed to, it was just irritating. I found it to be quite boring and it just couldn't hold my attention. It was overrated and I don't think it should be the standard for what games should strive to be.

This. Boring guns + bullet sponges + Mars = profit? No thank you, I've tried to beat it many times but I just get bored and quit.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I love older games like Doom 3, Max Payne 1 & 2, Deus Ex. They don't make games like those any more.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

And the game STILL looks terrific.Ricardo41

I think this is a better description of DOOM and DOOM2. They still do make games like DOOM3, which is one of the things I hate about the current video games market. Let the

Gun, ammo, Zombies, Ricardo41
stay in the '90s where they came from, thanks.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kdawg88
Still looks great IMO. The ID Tech engine has aged very well. Especially if you compare it to the gfx eyesore of Half Life 2 which came out at around the same time.bonafidetk
Even 2004 Source looked better than IdTech4, let alone the 2007 Source.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Their last good game was Quake 3, the rest were average at best, especially Quake 4 that was by far their worst game, it should have never existed. Hopefully Doom 4 and Quake 5 will be like the good games, Doom 1,2, Quake 1,2,3.
PRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PRowcester
Quake 4 shouldn't have existed? Well, I am happy it did exist, because I thought it was a brilliant game. I can see why folks may not like it, but it is by no means a bad game.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kdawg88
There's nothing terribly wrong with Quake 4 and DOOM3 as the quality and production values of both SP and MP are equal with Id's previous releases. It's the fact that they lack completely in any sort of innovation that's bad.
PRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PRowcester
There's nothing terribly wrong with Quake 4 and DOOM3 as the quality and production values of both SP and MP are equal with Id's previous releases. It's the fact that they lack completely in any sort of innovation that's bad. kdawg88
The innovation was there in terms of technology, but it was lacking gameplay.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Still looks great IMO. The ID Tech engine has aged very well. Especially if you compare it to the gfx eyesore of Half Life 2 which came out at around the same time.jettpack

troll much?

try not looking at HL2 through rose tinted goggles maybe. HL2 has blocky environments, low poly models and textures.. Anyway I had enough "Doom 3 Vs Half Life 2" discussions back in 2004 to last a life time so I will just leave it here :P

nocturial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nocturial
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, Doom, Doom2, and Build Engine shooters... THAT's old school shooters right there ;) and to be honest, these games were far more enjoyable for me than most of the shooters today... :P (with a few exceptions:)))

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kdawg88
[QUOTE="kdawg88"]There's nothing terribly wrong with Quake 4 and DOOM3 as the quality and production values of both SP and MP are equal with Id's previous releases. It's the fact that they lack completely in any sort of innovation that's bad. PRowcester

That's the thing, Id (Carmack, really) is great with technological innovation but very poor at doing the same thing with the actual game, at least since Romero left the company. Most of their games are arguably tech demos for the engines, which they license out to other companies. The reason why I love Id Software is their promotion of open-source software and their encouragement of the modding community, which is/was incredibly strong for most of their releases. It's a different kind of innovation, but is innovation nonetheless.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="PRowcester"][QUOTE="kdawg88"]There's nothing terribly wrong with Quake 4 and DOOM3 as the quality and production values of both SP and MP are equal with Id's previous releases. It's the fact that they lack completely in any sort of innovation that's bad. kdawg88

That's the thing, Id (Carmack, really) is great with technological innovation but very poor at doing the same thing with the actual game, at least since Romero left the company. Most of their games are arguably tech demos for the engines, which they license out to other companies. The reason why I love Id Software is their promotion of open-source software and their encouragement of the modding community, which is/was incredibly strong for most of their releases. It's a different kind of innovation, but is innovation nonetheless.

Let's hope Rage will also be like that, ETQW wasn't. Not their game, the Brink devs made it (I hope it'll be a success, Spalsh Damage is a great studio and it deserves it, can't wait for the game ^__^), but their tech and they also worked on it a little, amazing game that wasn't successful because of one simple thing, lack of content, not enough maps (no modding support, since Splash Damage obviously can't add that to something they don't understand), but that was more of a multiplayer game, Rage isn't, tho it depends on how interesting they manage to make it.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#44 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I thought Doom3 looked great on release, still looks good but I think Half-Life 2 has aged better.
jiggaleroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jiggaleroy
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts
If only I wasn't so darned bored about the excess of Shooters in the game market to begin with, who knows, maybe I'd agree or something. It's not like people who like Shooters don't have a bunch of them to pick from. They don't make RPGs like Baldur's gate anymore, that's what the problem is.
IceAxe18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IceAxe18
Member since 2003 • 622 Posts

The graphics suck in Doom 1 and 2, so I bought Quake 2 because the graphics were cool in those days. Then when Doom 3 came out I was impressed by the graphics, so I bought Doom 3 for the first time, and thought that the story and graphics was good. I also thought that the Doom The Movie was cool to.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Thank God! it was boring as hell, and its scaring tactics were cheap.
XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

Those types of shooters can be fun, but only in very small doses. There are just too easy and very boring IMO. I don't like to feel like some god when I play a shooter.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

I said "old" school. Not old school.

Of course, it's a fairly recent game.

I like that it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is. A "dumb" good

looking indoor run and gun shooter.

Contrast this with Bioshock 1: Just as dumb, linear, and unimaginative, but it came with a heap of pretensious bullcrap.

This is why I'm enjoying Crysis 2. I feel I can play the game without having to read two libraries' worth of "back story".

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

The gameplay was overly montonous; I was sick of it just a couple hours in. It was like spending over 10 hours walking down a dark alley with cats suddenly jumping out from anywhere. Not scary, just annoying. Horrifying and startling are two different things; too bad id did not understand this. But the game did have a commendable creepy atmoshpere thanks to its visuals and audio.