They Don't Make Shooters Like Doom 3 Anymore!

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#51 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i dont understand how people don't like games like doom 3 anymore. its like, if the game isn't even partially like call of duty, its not a good game. this is what people are making it seem like. my god, people need to expand their horizons. i wouldn't have a problem if people weren't deliberately asshats about a game if it isn't a COD clone.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

i dont understand how people don't like games like doom 3 anymore. its like, if the game isn't even partially like call of duty, its not a good game. this is what people are making it seem like. my god, people need to expand their horizons. i wouldn't have a problem if people weren't deliberately asshats about a game if it isn't a COD clone.yellosnolvr
Why should people like games like Doom 3? Games like Doom are great, 1 and 2 are still fun and way better than 3 yet they have ancient engines, what exactly would be the problem with such a great looking game like Doom 3, people can't possibly refuse such a feast.

Boring and annoying doesn't mean CoD, it just means the game wasn't good, who said anything about CoD? Makes you wonder why people didn't think the same about the Dead Space series and those games are even slower.

When developers create "monsters" most of them ride the wave, not many of the old famous developers did it though, but id wasn't one of them, they took things for granted with Quake 4 and Doom 3 and what they got were games of lower quality than the predecessors.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I can like a good old scool, arcade style shooter. I loved the original Serious Sam games. But that type of gameplay didn't fit well in Doom 3's environment; and having hundreds of monsters jumping out of closets just added insult to injury. The game suffered from a split personality: did it want to be a horror crawl or an arcade style frag-fest? It was unsucessful at trying to be both. In something like Serious Sam, the environments were much larger and conducive to old school frag-fests. Serious Sam did not pretend to be something it was not.

I don't think anyone here is saying Doom 3 needed to be like CoD.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

yes, far less graphics settings, no lean or other weird mechanics, linear, sure was a terrible console port.. oh wait a minute. Just goes to show what happened to pc gaming between 2004-2007, and how things are actually going back to how they were.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]i dont understand how people don't like games like doom 3 anymore. its like, if the game isn't even partially like call of duty, its not a good game. this is what people are making it seem like. my god, people need to expand their horizons. i wouldn't have a problem if people weren't deliberately asshats about a game if it isn't a COD clone.DanielDust

Why should people like games like Doom 3? Games like Doom are great, 1 and 2 are still fun and way better than 3 yet they have ancient engines, what exactly would be the problem with such a great looking game like Doom 3, people can't possibly refuse such a feast.

Boring and annoying doesn't mean CoD, it just means the game wasn't good, who said anything about CoD? Makes you wonder why people didn't think the same about the Dead Space series and those games are even slower.

When developers create "monsters" most of them ride the wave, not many of the old famous developers did it though, but id wasn't one of them, they took things for granted with Quake 4 and Doom 3 and what they got were games of lower quality than the predecessors.

id didnt even make quake 4 themselves.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

i dont understand how people don't like games like doom 3 anymore. its like, if the game isn't even partially like call of duty, its not a good game. this is what people are making it seem like. my god, people need to expand their horizons. i wouldn't have a problem if people weren't deliberately asshats about a game if it isn't a COD clone.yellosnolvr

I hate millitary shooters. They bore me to death. I far more prefer the arcade st yle found in the likes of Painkiller and Serious Sam killing mindless monsters with 20 weapons to my disposal. Far more entertaining, pure joy.

It's just that Doom 3, not only did the gunplay feel weak as heck, but also it's enviorements were horrifyingly bland, and that pitch darkness didn't help the game at all. I can't front, i liked the game. But thinking about it, i can say that it could of ben so much more... much more better.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] id didnt even make quake 4 themselves.

I know, Raven did it, but they believed that would be for the best, their choice.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
DOOM3, the guns didn't have a nice feel. Too weak sounding, and no recoil. I want aiming down the sights for no reason and loud explosion noises from teh guns.
PRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PRowcester
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts

The graphics suck in Doom 1 and 2, so I bought Quake 2 because the graphics were cool in those days. Then when Doom 3 came out I was impressed by the graphics, so I bought Doom 3 for the first time, and thought that the story and graphics was good. I also thought that the Doom The Movie was cool to.

IceAxe18

Yeah, doom wasn't a terrible movie. Its a standard action movie. The FPS scene was definitely very cool. I loved it.

Avatar image for a_sh0pping_cart
a_sh0pping_cart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 a_sh0pping_cart
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts

[QUOTE="IceAxe18"]

The graphics suck in Doom 1 and 2, so I bought Quake 2 because the graphics were cool in those days. Then when Doom 3 came out I was impressed by the graphics, so I bought Doom 3 for the first time, and thought that the story and graphics was good. I also thought that the Doom The Movie was cool to.

PRowcester

Yeah, doom wasn't a terrible movie. Its a standard action movie. The FPS scene was definitely very cool. I loved it.

Haha, I have to agree with that. Nothing really wrong about the Doom movie and FPS scene paid homage to the game. Kinda cool

PRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 PRowcester
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts

[QUOTE="PRowcester"]

[QUOTE="IceAxe18"]

a_sh0pping_cart

Haha, I have to agree with that. Nothing really wrong about the Doom movie and FPS scene paid homage to the game. Kinda cool

There was a lot of hate at the time for the movie, but I thought it was enjoyable. I guess it depends on the expectations. the one cool part was the FPS. That was really good stuff.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10488 Posts

Every once in a while I fire up an old shooter to entertain myself.

Played some good "old" Doom3 today, and, boy, is itsatisfying to play an old fashioned shooter, no muss no fuss.

Sure, the story is thinner than the gstring on a Las Vegas stripper,

but it's a shooter boiled down to its essential goodness: Gun, ammo, Zombies, kill 'em all!

And the game STILL looks terrific.

Ricardo41

pretty bog standard, unremarkable gameplay though.

enter new room - lights go out - monsters emerge - rinse and repeat.

didnt do it for me im afraid but whatever floats your boat

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
Doom3 is a good game, good horror action allthough a bit simple in gameplay , it still worked for me but today the graphics haven't aged well for me. The environments are still okay but the characters look blocky . I reinstalled it recently and quit after 15 minutes. Quake 4 is a hidden gem, i don't know how it looks today but that game was really good. I never liked quake 1-3 but this is another quake. Story reminds a little of unreal. Good science fiction shooter. Halflife 2 is was off course good and maybe aged a litle better than doom3 because the characters are better made. Same with far cry. Allthough the environment in far cry is a lot better. Doom3 was only advanced in shadows and lightning. I think fear has aged the best, but this was released a year later than the others above. In terms of physics, characters and lighting it's a game of this gen. The environments textures are previous gen however. I must say i played fear multiplayer a lot till last year and I even replayed far cry last year but doom3 and halflife 2 i quit in the beginning. They are too old to be played again and not old enough to play for nostalgic reasons. Quake 4 i still have to give a try but i suspect the same as hl 2 & doom3. So far cry for me previous gen, resident evil IV i could play again with ease too. For multiplayer joint operations typhoon rising (why don't they make something like that anymore?)
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#65 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I dunno. I played some of it again, and it doesn't feel like it's anything special nowadays. A pretty standard corridor shooter with very lousy horror moments. It has its merits, but when you take a look at 2004's Half-Life 2 and 2005's FEAR, you'll see why Doom 3 was irrelevant in terms of both presentation and gameplay about as soon as it came out. The aggressive, zero-brain AI is pretty fun as it allows for mindless carnage and simple evasive maneuvres, but compare the action to the aforementioned FEAR and it all starts feeling a bit lackluster.

It's still preferable over the uninspired CoD campaigns, but there have been many shooters that surpassed Doom 3.

staticxtreme27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 staticxtreme27
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

You haters say what you want, but John Carmack revolutionized the FPS genre with the Doom franchise.

Each of those games has been amazing.

Can't wait for Rage, and Doom 4 is on the hopefully not so distant horizon.

GuitarPAaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67 GuitarPAaron
Member since 2006 • 1368 Posts

You haters say what you want, but John Carmack revolutionized the FPS genre with the Doom franchise.

Each of those games has been amazing.

Can't wait for Rage, and Doom 4 is on the hopefully not so distant horizon.

staticxtreme27

The first games were good but 3, while impressive at the time it isn't that great. I'm not a big fan of half life 2 or doom 3, but I think half life 2 did much more for the FPS genre than doom 3 ever did. It wassn't that great of a game.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

Doom 3's gunplay (and overall gameplay) is absolutey horrendous and a disgrace to the original Doom games. How anyone could want more of it is beyond me. It just wasn't very solid. Half-Life 2 was far better in every regard, as was Far Cry.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#69 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Doom 3's gunplay (and overall gameplay) is absolutey horrendous and a disgrace to the original Doom games. How anyone could want more of it is beyond me. It just wasn't very solid. Half-Life 2 was far better in every regard, as was Far Cry.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Ididn't mind the mechanics and gameplay of doom because ithad suchnice graphics.Now , it's a 7 year old game. Doom 3 was very good when it came out mainly because of it's graphical and technical quality's. Off course when the game ages these pro's go away and that's why doom 3 isn't fun anymore today.

A lot of games have this issue though, halflife is a very good game but i won't play anymore it's just too old. Halflife 2 isn't that old but it suffers from the same issues.

The only game that stood the test of time for me is unreal and unreal tournament (the multiplayer).

Arcade games like kung fu master, double dragon, golden axe, mortal kombat don't suffer from this either.

Who wants to play doom 3 when you can play something like bioshock, mass effect, crysis, dead space.