The Witcher a new Legend?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nick1689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nick1689
Member since 2004 • 156 Posts
Is it safe to say that The Witcher will go down in RPG gaming history in the same ranks as Planescape: Torment, Fallout, BG etc? Will it be forever perceived to be up there with the best? I think it deserves it. What does everyone think?
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
I would not be surprised, yet I'd still be pretty impressed, I don't think I've seen someone who doesn't like the game lol.
hatefull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 hatefull
Member since 2004 • 186 Posts
you guys are working for cdproject or am i missing something?
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ElArab

you guys are working for cdproject or am i missing something?hatefull

I haven't played it yet, that's what lol.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

Is it safe to say that The Witcher will go down in RPG gaming history in the same ranks as Planescape: Torment, Fallout, BG etc? Will it be forever perceived to be up there with the best? I think it deserves it. What does everyone think?nick1689

No way. It's a good game, but it's nothing exceptionnal or inventive (story is too generic...)

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
Good game, worthy of "a classic" title? Don't know about that... I have not finished it yet, so I guess my opinion on the matter is somewhat moot. So far, I'd say Mass Effect is more for the history books.
IppotheFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IppotheFighter
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
Its a pretty good game it might not be at the level of baulders gate or planescape but it is just about their.
EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

Good game, worthy of "a classic" title? Don't know about that... I have not finished it yet, so I guess my opinion on the matter is somewhat moot. So far, I'd say Mass Effect is more for the history books.artur79

I agree that the witcher is a good game but it's no ****c. As for your comment on Mass Effect. No, it's not worthy of the ****c title either. Hell IMO, it's not even Biowares best. I doubt we will see another BG quality game from Bioware, but I hope I'm wrong.

[hard to believe they havn't fixed the censor thing yet]

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="artur79"]Good game, worthy of "a classic" title? Don't know about that... I have not finished it yet, so I guess my opinion on the matter is somewhat moot. So far, I'd say Mass Effect is more for the history books.EndersAres

I agree that the witcher is a good game but it's no ****c. As for your comment on Mass Effect. No, it's not worthy of the ****c title either. Hell IMO, it's not even Biowares best. I doubt we will see another BG quality game from Bioware, but I hope I'm wrong.

let's wait and see Dragon Age.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 artur79

[QUOTE="artur79"]Good game, worthy of "a classic" title? Don't know about that... I have not finished it yet, so I guess my opinion on the matter is somewhat moot. So far, I'd say Mass Effect is more for the history books.EndersAres

Well, opinions differ. And yeah, the whole ****c=censorship is annoying. Worst thing is that GS thinks it's okay.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 artur79
[QUOTE="EndersAres"]

[QUOTE="artur79"]Good game, worthy of "a classic" title? Don't know about that... I have not finished it yet, so I guess my opinion on the matter is somewhat moot. So far, I'd say Mass Effect is more for the history books.artur79

Well, opinions differ. And yeah, the whole ****c=censorship is annoying. Worst thing is that GS thinks it's okay.

FFS, see what I mean?!?

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ElArab

Yeah apparently Dragon Age is gonna be like a BG 3, lets hope that itself isn't "overhyping" the game.

Off-Topic: what word is "****c"? just PM me. It doesn't look like any 'offensive' words that I know lol... It's boggoling my mind.

iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts
[QUOTE="artur79"][QUOTE="EndersAres"]

[QUOTE="artur79"]Good game, worthy of "a classic" title? Don't know about that... I have not finished it yet, so I guess my opinion on the matter is somewhat moot. So far, I'd say Mass Effect is more for the history books.artur79

FFS, see what I mean?!?

Yeah, I've actually received a couple of warnings from mods here recently for ridiculous reasons. I even censored myself when quoting something in context just to tone it down, but I still got a warning. *shrugs* Oh well. I'll abide by the rules. Politikal correctness and censoring of certain words is right out of 1984. Nice work on helping to fulfill that prophecy. I'll probably get a warning for this comment too. :roll:

Anyway, I can't wait to play the witcher. I ordered the collector's edition from Gogamer last week.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts
open-ended gameplay and depth of narrative wise, The Witcher is close to Torment, BG and Fallouts. But its limited character developing system hurts it a lot.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ElArab
Well, judging from the thread, since I haven't played the game yet (the shipping from GoGamer is gonna take like, more then 2 weeks lol.) Definetly not legend worthy! Yet it's still a "must buy" if you still like the genre.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 artur79

Well, judging from the thread, since I haven't played the game yet (the shipping from GoGamer is gonna take like, more then 2 weeks lol.) Definetly not legend worthy! Yet it's still a "must buy" if you still like the genre.ElArab

The word Gamespot seems to censor is "classic". I can say ass, but not classic, go figure... I've pointed this out one time, some mods just blew it off, said it was my fault somehow... I agree on a must buy/must play. The Witcher is an awesome RPG people should play, although americans (canadians included) should download the European version. I'd rather pirate the REAL version and send the dev team some money than download/buy the censored US-version (americans = stupid/illogical censorship). Just my opinion though...

Lakin0817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Lakin0817
Member since 2004 • 440 Posts
You've got to be kidding, the witcher is nothing more than a brokeback neverwinter nights 2.
Decado_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Decado_basic
Member since 2002 • 4030 Posts
The RPG nerd in me would like to see WTF the stats/skills actually do (there is no feedback during combat, no stat screen that breaks down what has improved etc.). Otherwise it looked promising, and I hope they release an SDK so we can get some mods going for it.
nick1689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nick1689
Member since 2004 • 156 Posts

You've got to be kidding, the witcher is nothing more than a brokeback neverwinter nights 2.Lakin0817

No uve got to be the one kidding, have you played Neverwinter Nights 2?

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 artur79

You've got to be kidding, the witcher is nothing more than a brokeback neverwinter nights 2.Lakin0817

With a better OTS, which is alpha and omega to me. NWN 2 is great if you love isometric view, which I think is the most unnatural view ever. (Not saying that FP or TP is superior, just more natural to me) "Immersion" you know...

crimsonfilms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crimsonfilms
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

My background...

I love FF series. FF VII, IMO, is the greatest RPG in any platform.

I love the BG series and Fallout series in the PC platform. Oblivion is ok, I think it is a big RPG with really poor attention to detail.

Witcher... it is a great game but I am unsure if it is in the same league as BG and Fallout series. It is too early to tell. I want to see what CD Projekt Red does in the next patch to fix the major issues.

No, it is not revolutionary. But it has exceptional attention to environment detail - even better than BG or Fallout in that respect. Watch how random chars go to sleep - they actually fluff their pillows. Watch how birds move away from you as if they are scared. What how people run under cover when rain comes. BG has better character development, especially regarding NPCs. Fallout has a more original world at least in regards to RPG.

The battle system is a combination of Diablo and NWN. Character development like FF X. It is a great game. The best RPG in the PC platform in a long time. Then again, there has not been that much competition except Oblivion. WoW is grindfest. GW is mindless paper thin. Oblivion is the only thing we can really mention. Witcher comes very close. What CD Projekt Red does in the next couple of months can make a huge difference.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 teardropmina

The RPG nerd in me would like to see WTF the stats/skills actually do (there is no feedback during combat, no stat screen that breaks down what has improved etc.). Otherwise it looked promising, and I hope they release an SDK so we can get some mods going for it.Decado_basic

hehe...in addition to what you've mentioned, I'd like to play a swordless or backstabbing Witcher (still better if in a party). It's personal preference. The Witcher to me will always be a bit behind D&D "classic." Fallouts don't really give much control over NPC teammates, but they do offer much more PC creation varietythan The Witcher.

iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iwokojance

[QUOTE="Lakin0817"]You've got to be kidding, the witcher is nothing more than a brokeback neverwinter nights 2.nick1689

No uve got to be the one kidding, have you played Neverwinter Nights 2?

Yeah, NWN2 dissapoints. I'd still like to try the expansion, though.

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
I really like the game, but until they fix loading saving issues im not finishing it.
kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts
cla$$ is a forum bug, never mind it
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
witcher is a great game but not that great imo
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
i think itll be fondly remembered but i dont think itll be held in the same light as games like BG and PT. too many little things let it down on the story front (bad continuity in places, writing not absolutely brilliant (possibly a bad translation) and other little things). still its my fav RPG this year so far (though i still need to get ME) and is an excellent game overall. if the script and story can be improved on and other smaller elements tightened up then i think the sequal could be a classic.
Norwegicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Norwegicus
Member since 2005 • 219 Posts

Its a good game, i had a lot of fun playing it.

But its a little short and even though it has 3 different endings I wont play it two more times to see them. Its just to boring having to go through the same thing over and over again, because the game dont change that much, only the ending.

sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts
The Witcher is a wonderful game, that requires some additional patches to fix some glitches and the bloody loading times. Other then that, the game is wonderful (but hard!).
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Man i hate when people use grindfest...Hell even dnd, where these games come from is a grind fest..Stop using games as grindfest...Diablo was a grindfest, just a fun and different grind fest...Evrey game is a grind fest..Well if you want to believe it or not..If your a gamer get used to "grindfest"..Its what games are about...

Why must we also characterize, eveyr game as oblivion quality..Oblivion other than the graphics, was very poorly done..Well cant say every thing..They did the combat fun an it was tight...It ruined the genre for me..Scaling system was horrible...SOme one is going to say...Oh you never played oblivion..Well you no what ive got the first elder scrolls...Still in my collection..So ive been playing there games from day one...

The witcher is a good game on its own right...Is it a leap in gaming no..Beautiful game id say ya...Its got enough to keep me busy..

Mass effect is a fun game, not one of biowars best imo..This is also coming from a person, who has bought eveyr one of there games...Its original ill give it that..Though they did copy the gow moves, an took away some stuff..For me the game feels like they left a ton of stuff out of the game..Its not kotor...Will i finish the game..Only time will tell..Kotor i was so addicted to it that i had to finish it..Was one of the best games ever...

So damn people if you hate slugfest, than dont be a gamer!!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

I'd say the Witcher is a great game and deserves to be put up there under the classic's category. It differs so much from previous games in the RPG genre and was a nice refreshing change because of this.

I just hope they think of doing a follow up game/expansion sometime soon!

cperry005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 cperry005
Member since 2005 • 490 Posts

I'd say the Witcher is a great game and deserves to be put up there under the classic's category. It differs so much from previous games in the RPG genre and was a nice refreshing change because of this.

I just hope they think of doing a follow up game/expansion sometime soon!

Agreed.

I cant say what I really want to though because if you breathe wrong in these forums youll get moderated.

Make a new thread and you'll get moderated.

Moderated, Moderated,

Moderated, Moderated,

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 teardropmina

The Witcher is a great game, I'd put it right below such classics as Torment, BG and Fallouts. However, I don't feel any groundbreaking change or "freshness" (sense of refreshing whatever) from it. Its character-building/developing system is limited and old-fashioned talent tree style. Narrative structure follows Torment's footstep (which has done it better than any game has been no doubt). The only arguably "new" thing about The Witcher is the combat system...however, though new and somewhat interesting, it fails far short in the tactical department which are very well realized in BGs and Fallouts.

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts
Too bad no demo :(
Pablo_SL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 Pablo_SL
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts
The greatest legend on RPG is Diablo...
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts
My vote goes to Fallout and our Torment.
greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
Too bad no demo :(tkemory
there will be a demo, according to the official forums. I remember seeing this a week ago, dont know if it got cancelled in the mean time.
iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iwokojance
[QUOTE="1005"]

teardropmina

The Witcher is a great game, I'd put it right below such classics as Torment, BG and Fallouts. However, I don't feel any groundbreaking change or "freshness" (sense of refreshing whatever) from it. Its character-building/developing system is limited and old-fashioned talent tree style. Narrative structure follows Torment's footstep (which has done it better than any game has been no doubt). The only arguably "new" thing about The Witcher is the combat system...however, though new and somewhat interesting, it fails far short in the tactical department which are very well realized in BGs and Fallouts.

I agree with these statements. Also, I'd like to add that the voice acting and music are pretty well done. Geralt's voice isn't my favorite, but most of the other characters are well done.

Nothing is profoundly different from other games of this genre in the story department, but it does manage to suck you in and keep you interested in playing which is what good games are supposed to do.

Graphically, well...It's really great what these devs have done with the Aurora engine. I like the Electron engine used in NWN2, but that game lagged at times which was ridiculous. Any great machine should run that game without any problems. But they all didn't run it smoothly, did they? I'm not sure if that was a fault with the engine itself, or poor program balancing. All I can say is that The Witcher is graphically superior to NWN2 and doesn't suffer from the annoying lag that frequented NWN2.

Comparing The Witcher to the BG series, Torment and Fallout series is a tough comparison. I haven't finished this game yet, personally. I think time will tell if this game will become a classic. If people are still seeking it out in a few years from now, that may prove to be a pretty good indicator of the games' worth.

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
I think people will remember it as a bright light in a darkening genre but I don't think it will be considered a classic in the future. It won't go up there with fallout, baldur's gate, planescape etc because I think it's flaws are enough so that it won't achieve a status like that. It was a great game and I really enjoyed it but that is my opinion.
Avatar image for Uberbadassmufuh
Uberbadassmufuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Uberbadassmufuh
Member since 2004 • 1006 Posts
Meh, for what it's worth I think The Witcher is worth of joining the Fallout/BG/Planescape cannon. Many cite forcing you to use a specific protagonist as a flaw, however I think that the way the witcher does so allows you leeway in character development (and I'm not just talking about classes and stats here, in fact those are tertiary concerns to me in RPG's) in many ways dwarfs the options presented in many of the games we take as gold stardards. The Witcher is a VERY different take on RPGs but I think it's a profoundly successful experiment and welcome it to the RPG elite cannon with open arms.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

I consider myself a pretty big RPG fan. My favorite modern RPG would have to be the Baldurs Gate series, for the almost staggering level of quality that oozes from every aspect of the game. From the music to the characters to the amazing story to the combat and environments. One thing I loved about BG1/2 and the other "classics" mentioned in this debate is that you could play them for weeks and weeks. Play through multiple times and never had the exact same experience twice. My first playthrough of BG2 lasted 100+ hours over nearly two weeks. And every one of those hours was TOP QUALITY GAMING. I did'nt think i'd see that level of gaming again, until I played the Witcher.

To me, Witcher definitly ranks up there with the greats. It's a game that just stinks of quality but doesnt look for any favors by borrowing TOO heavily from more accomplished franchises. Rather, not much more than any other game borrows from it's predecessors, which is why I don't quite understand people knocking Witcher for it's lack of originality. Did fallout really start the whole post-apocolyptic craze? No. Were BG or Planescape totally original? No. Were they all great games? Hell yeah!

Anyway, i'd like to write a whole lot more but i'd be here all night if I try to point out every good point aobut the Witcher and I have things to do. I'll just say that I believe it is a great game that rubs shoulders with the other "classics" being mentioned in this thread. I wouldnt have issue with anyone listing it as their favorite RPG of all time.

EverLearner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EverLearner
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
To me, the Witcher is a great game. It has all elements that a great RPG must have: Great and interesting story, nice character development, diverse dialog tree, and most importantly, the choice you make will truly affect the world rather than only some rewards you get. Without the bloody long loading time (I guess it is related to the Aurora engine it used), it is a classic, or at least a must-try this year.:)
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I'm not too impressed with The Witcher. The combat and just the simple game itself didn't pull me in. For some reason though it made me want to play Stalker again, and Stalker kicks some major ass.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TeamR

I'm not too impressed with The Witcher. The combat and just the simple game itself didn't pull me in. For some reason though it made me want to play Stalker again, and Stalker kicks some major ass.GodLovesDead

just a guess: you didnt make it past the prologue before you went to play your shooter, did you? Either way I guess everyone is entitlted to an opinion. Can't please everybody. But your kinda deviating from the topic of the thread

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GodLovesDead

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]I'm not too impressed with The Witcher. The combat and just the simple game itself didn't pull me in. For some reason though it made me want to play Stalker again, and Stalker kicks some major ass.TeamR

just a guess: you didnt make it past the prologue before you went to play your shooter, did you? Either way I guess everyone is entitlted to an opinion. Can't please everybody. But your kinda deviating from the topic of the thread

I played it for around 3 hours. And disagreeing with the topic doesn't mean it's deviating, I was just adding on that that there are better games that came out this year (ala Stalker).

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TeamR

I played it for around 3 hours. And disagreeing with the topic doesn't mean it's deviating, I was just adding on that that there are better games that came out this year (ala Stalker).

GodLovesDead

I was right about the epilogue bit I see.

Also, the OP's question was "Is it safe to say that The Witcher will go down in RPG gaming history in the same ranks as Planescape: Torment, Fallout, BG etc?"

Not "Did you like the witcher?"

If you didnt like it, then you really wouldnt have much to add to the thread. Which in your case is absolutely true. There just isnt much a person who hasnt actually played past the tutorial can say on this subject.

boyd62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 boyd62
Member since 2003 • 374 Posts

For me the Witcher probably ranks up there in GOTY status, and possibly top 10 rpg of all time.I do not think it ranks as high as fallout due to its simplistic combat & charecter limitations, but its still a very good RPG.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

TeamR

I was right about the epilogue bit I see.

Also, the OP's question was "Is it safe to say that The Witcher will go down in RPG gaming history in the same ranks as Planescape: Torment, Fallout, BG etc?"

Not "Did you like the witcher?"

If you didnt like it, then you really wouldnt have much to add to the thread. Which in your case is absolutely true. There just isnt much a person who hasnt actually played past the tutorial can say on this subject.

It's not my fault the game isn't interesting enough. And stop being overly defensive. My post is perfectly relevant to thread.

"Is it safe to say that The Witcher will go down in RPG gaming history in the same ranks as Planescape: Torment, Fallout, BG etc?"

For this to happen, it has to have public appeal. I am part of the public, and it doesn't appeal. Sure, I'm only a part of the public, but GameRankings also gives it a score in the low 80s, meaning that in general the game is only regarded as "Good". If the game were to achieve Fallout, Planetscape, Baldurs Gate, it would need to have gained much more public appeal and higher critic scores similar to what Planetscape, Fallout, and Baldurs Gate have received.

So no, The Witcher isn't a legend. It's just a very good RPG. It'll probably be soon forgotten too.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Although The Witcher is a great game in it's own right I just don't see it measuring up to Planescape: Torment. The save/load bug is a huge issue as are the load times. The combat has a fairly steep learning curve to it and the US version is censored. I personally purchased the European version because of the censorship. Other than that the game is definately worth playing and will probably be the best labled as the RPG of 2007.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TeamR

It's not my fault the game isn't interesting enough. And stop being overly defensive. My post is perfectly relevant to thread.

GodLovesDead

lol

How am I being defensive? It's just fact that you can't form a solid opinion on something that you've barely even tried. Thats like eating the fries out of a combo meal then saying that burger king food sucks. Your free to have whatever opinion you wish. If you don'tlike the game thats your perrogative. But how valuable is your opinion on the quality of the game when you've yet to complet the tutorial? Answer: Not very valuable at all

"For this to happen, it has to have public appeal. I am part of the public, and it doesn't appeal. Sure, I'm only a part of the public, but GameRankings also gives it a score in the low 80s"

You contradict yourself. Contrary to your belief, gamerankings does not equal public appeal. All that site does is take an average score from the major game critics. While it's a decent gage as to the quality of a title, it by no means accurately portrays how much public appeal or popularity a title has. Look at halo3, it ranks #47th overall on GR, yet it's probably the most popular game released all year.

an even better example would be counterstrike and CS:S. Those two games rank mid-80s on GR, yet are unquestionably the most popular online shooters of the last 10 years.

So no, looking at a critic's score wont predict much. Not even your uninformed opinion can predict wether or not witcher will achieve legendary status. The only people who can place that title are those that play the game. If enough people in the community deem Witcher worthy of such a title, then it shall be so.