The Witcher a new Legend?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#51 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts
I really like the game, but until they fix loading saving issues im not finishing it.DarKre
They will release patch 1.2 which will fix these issues before X-Mas.As for The Witcher being a classic...I must say yes.I absolutely love this game even with it's bugs and quirks I still think it is a Incredible game.I haven't finished it yet I'm at chapter 3 but regardless this IS one of the best RPGs I EVER played.
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
The Witcher is pretty cool, it does have a lot of fault too, sadly. For example, there's a lot of small quests which are just plain lame and boring.

I won't jump to any conclusions while I haven't completed it yet, but I would say that, since The Witcher is the first real RPG in a while, most people tend to rate it too high, since they haven't played something to compare it with for a while.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

I'm not too impressed with The Witcher. The combat and just the simple game itself didn't pull me in. For some reason though it made me want to play Stalker again, and Stalker kicks some major ass.GodLovesDead

I'm rather curious why and how STALKER made its way into this thread? STALKER is a FPS, with certain RPG features - quests and annoying inventory system. But it doesn't make it a RPG. We're talking about Torment, BGs, Fallouts and The Witcher. For a RPG gamer such as I, Bioshock has more role-playing (decisions, a sort of lvling up and character developing) feel than STALKER, and we won't even talk about it.

Also, I'd like to add that the voice acting and music are pretty well done. Geralt's voice isn't my favorite, but most of the other characters are well done.

Nothing is profoundly different from other games of this genre in the story department, but it does manage to suck you in and keep you interested in playing which is what good games are supposed to do.

Graphically, well...It's really great what these devs have done with the Aurora engine. I like the Electron engine used in NWN2, but that game lagged at times which was ridiculous. Any great machine should run that game without any problems. But they all didn't run it smoothly, did they? I'm not sure if that was a fault with the engine itself, or poor program balancing. All I can say is that The Witcher is graphically superior to NWN2 and doesn't suffer from the annoying lag that frequented NWN2.

Comparing The Witcher to the BG series, Torment and Fallout series is a tough comparison. I haven't finished this game yet, personally. I think time will tell if this game will become a classic. If people are still seeking it out in a few years from now, that may prove to be a pretty good indicator of the games' worth.

iwokojance

I guess we're in agreement ^^ The Witcher is very well conceptualized and realized RPG, which is quite rare these days. My previous post is more a reaction to the sentiment that this game is "groundbreakingly" good - I think it's not so. It does WELL everything (voice acting, music, narrative and etc.) that the greats have done, and thus makes it a great game at a time when genuine and excellent RPG is hard to come by.

As for the graphic, and yes, it's better looking than NWN series, and I think it's one of the two best looking RPGs ever (the other being KotOR I). The only grip of mine, aside from the loading time is the camera control (quite often disorienting during combats), and thank god it preserves the in-combat pause feature.

Finally, I really have to stress it again: saying that The Witcher isn't up to Torment, BGs, and Fallouts is no way discrediting this game! The fact that we even compare it to the greats means that we know it's a great game; it's just that it's up for discussion as whether it should be considered as among the greatest CRPGs.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]I'm not too impressed with The Witcher. The combat and just the simple game itself didn't pull me in. For some reason though it made me want to play Stalker again, and Stalker kicks some major ass.teardropmina

I'm rather curious why and how STALKER made its way into this thread? STALKER is a FPS, with certain RPG features - quests and annoying inventory system. But it doesn't make it a RPG. We're talking about Torment, BGs, Fallouts and The Witcher. For a RPG gamer such as I, Bioshock has more role-playing (decisions, a sort of lvling up and character developing) feel than STALKER, and we won't even talk about it.

I just stated what happened, chill out. I'm not trying to change any topics here. Just mentioned it because Stalker has heavy RPG elements and has been getting similar scores and attention.

Also, I'd like to add that the voice acting and music are pretty well done. Geralt's voice isn't my favorite, but most of the other characters are well done.

Nothing is profoundly different from other games of this genre in the story department, but it does manage to suck you in and keep you interested in playing which is what good games are supposed to do.

Graphically, well...It's really great what these devs have done with the Aurora engine. I like the Electron engine used in NWN2, but that game lagged at times which was ridiculous. Any great machine should run that game without any problems. But they all didn't run it smoothly, did they? I'm not sure if that was a fault with the engine itself, or poor program balancing. All I can say is that The Witcher is graphically superior to NWN2 and doesn't suffer from the annoying lag that frequented NWN2.

Comparing The Witcher to the BG series, Torment and Fallout series is a tough comparison. I haven't finished this game yet, personally. I think time will tell if this game will become a classic. If people are still seeking it out in a few years from now, that may prove to be a pretty good indicator of the games' worth.

iwokojance

I guess we're in agreement ^^ The Witcher is very well conceptualized and realized RPG, which is quite rare these days. My previous post is more a reaction to the sentiment that this game is "groundbreakingly" good - I think it's not so. It does WELL everything (voice acting, music, narrative and etc.) that the greats have done, and thus makes it a great game at a time when genuine and excellent RPG is hard to come by.

As for the graphic, and yes, it's better looking than NWN series, and I think it's one of the two best looking RPGs ever (the other being KotOR I). The only grip of mine, aside from the loading time is the camera control (quite often disorienting during combats), and thank god it preserves the in-combat pause feature.

Finally, I really have to stress it again: saying that The Witcher isn't up to Torment, BGs, and Fallouts is no way discrediting this game! The fact that we even compare it to the greats means that we know it's a great game; it's just that it's up for discussion as whether it should be considered as among the greatest CRPGs.

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]
It's not my fault the game isn't interesting enough. And stop being overly defensive. My post is perfectly relevant to thread.

TeamR

lol

How am I being defensive? It's just fact that you can't form a solid opinion on something that you've barely even tried. Thats like eating the fries out of a combo meal then saying that burger king food sucks. Your free to have whatever opinion you wish. If you don'tlike the game thats your perrogative. But how valuable is your opinion on the quality of the game when you've yet to complet the tutorial? Answer: Not very valuable at all

"For this to happen, it has to have public appeal. I am part of the public, and it doesn't appeal. Sure, I'm only a part of the public, but GameRankings also gives it a score in the low 80s"

You contradict yourself. Contrary to your belief, gamerankings does not equal public appeal. All that site does is take an average score from the major game critics. While it's a decent gage as to the quality of a title, it by no means accurately portrays how much public appeal or popularity a title has. Look at halo3, it ranks #47th overall on GR, yet it's probably the most popular game released all year.

an even better example would be counterstrike and CS:S. Those two games rank mid-80s on GR, yet are unquestionably the most popular online shooters of the last 10 years.

So no, looking at a critic's score wont predict much. Not even your uninformed opinion can predict wether or not witcher will achieve legendary status. The only people who can place that title are those that play the game. If enough people in the community deem Witcher worthy of such a title, then it shall be so.

3 hours is enough to form an opinion on any game. I don't know where you keep getting this "haven't left the tutorial yet" unless the game has a crazy 4 hour tutorial. It's hard to argue with someone who takes something out of context and isn't looking at the big picture. Sure, Halo 3 is popular and over 90%. Overall rank means nothing here, as top-tier RPGs all hover around 92 percent average. The Witcher not only isn't popular enough, but it also isn't highly regarded by critics. Therefore The Witcher won't be a "legend", but instead will just be a decent RPG for the year of 07. The Witcher isn't going to be played by too many people, and the people that have played it in general believe its a decent RPG.

Go ahead, put up a poll asking if The Witcher is a legendary game, comparing to the cla$$ics. I can already imagine how that'd turn out.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#55 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Is it safe to say that The Witcher will go down in RPG gaming history in the same ranks as Planescape: Torment, Fallout, BG etc? Will it be forever perceived to be up there with the best? I think it deserves it. What does everyone think?nick1689

As soon as they fix the horrid load and save times I will agree.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

Stalker has heavy RPG elements and has been getting similar scores and attention.

GodLovesDead

Stalker has negligible RPG elements (that's why you don't see a thread discussing its place in RPG genre) and its relevance to this thread is close to your mentioning of Halo 3: completely irrelevant.

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts
The Witcher is a great RPG but doesn't come close to BG series IMHO.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

3 hours is enough to form an opinion on any game. I don't know where you keep getting this "haven't left the tutorial yet" unless the game has a crazy 4 hour tutorial. It's hard to argue with someone who takes something out of context and isn't looking at the big picture. Sure, Halo 3 is popular and over 90%. Overall rank means nothing here, as top-tier RPGs all hover around 92 percent average. The Witcher not only isn't popular enough, but it also isn't highly regarded by critics. Therefore The Witcher won't be a "legend", but instead will just be a decent RPG for the year of 07. The Witcher isn't going to be played by too many people, and the people that have played it in general believe its a decent RPG.

Go ahead, put up a poll asking if The Witcher is a legendary game, comparing to the cla$$ics. I can already imagine how that'd turn out.

GodLovesDead

You can form an opinion without even playing the game. Does it make it an opinion worth listning to for someone looking for advice on the game? Nope. Why don't you enlighten us on how far you made it in your long 3 hour campaign. The entire epilogue is a tutorial and I clock that between 1-2 hours depending on how thorough you are. And then tell me how much that opinion is worth when you've barely experienced 1% of what the game has to offer. I'm not saying you cant have an opinion on Witcher, i'm just saying that it isnt worth much. 3 hours is nothing, especially in RPGs as large as this.

Imagine playing Baldur's Gate and never leaving Candlekeep, or never making it past Irenicus' dungeon in BG2.

"Sure, Halo 3 is popular and over 90%. Overall rank means nothing here, as top-tier RPGs all hover around 92 percent average. The Witcher not only isn't popular enough, but it also isn't highly regarded by critics. Therefore The Witcher won't be a "legend", but instead will just be a decent RPG for the year of 07"

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/63576.asp

Fallout 2 has an 86% rating on gameranking. A meer 5% above The Witcher. With a couple good reviews, witcher could actually PASS Fallout 2 on gamerankings. Let's look at some games that rank higher than fallout2:

KOTOR 93%

Vagrant Story 92%

Final Fantasy X91.4%

Fallout 91%

Phantasy Star Online 90%

Fallout 2 86.2%

Yet, which of those games makes it into the 'greatest rpg of all time' discussion the most? Fallout and fallout2 would have scored higher if it werent for some bugs and such. Same goes for witcher. Critic numbers don't bring much into this discussion. Never has, never will