SW: The Old Republic GAMEPLAY !!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I'm soooooo pre-ordering this...

LINK

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

+1

Voiced dialogue with all party members would be awesome

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Looks cool, but hopefully they put the massive in MMO. I'd hate for the game to feel like a co-op version mass effect. I'm really interested to see if it will top SWG before SoE destroyed it.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

Eh...combat looks just like any other MMO.

Voice dialogue is cool though.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

Old....*sigh* you had my hopes up :(

Im glad that they showed some pvE instead of pvp though :P

Gameplay looks fun :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

never bought any MMOs, and it looks like i'm not gonna start with this one either : ]

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
Looks generic and boring. Sorry.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

never bought any MMOs, and it looks like i'm not gonna start with this one either : ]

groowagon
Looks generic and boring. Sorry.BDK-Soft
Ur loss.....lol
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Well people, you can't expect them to revamp what an MMORPG is completely. It looks really fun, especially with friends, and I'm giving this a try.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Been following up on the game and I just might get it. Definitly going for Bounty Hunter if I do.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

looks terrific

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
I just hope they don't give Jedi's a lightsaber from the get go.... it should be a long quest, like an epic weapon....
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Swiftstrike5
I just hope they don't give Jedi's a lightsaber from the get go.... it should be a long quest, like an epic weapon....FelipeInside
You aren't a Jedi unless you have a lightsaber. It'd be interesting if you started off with a generic character and had to do a class quest to become whatever you wanted.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I just hope they don't give Jedi's a lightsaber from the get go.... it should be a long quest, like an epic weapon....Swiftstrike5
You aren't a Jedi unless you have a lightsaber. It'd be interesting if you started off with a generic character and had to do a class quest to become whatever you wanted.

Kotor had vibroblades. I wonder if this will have them too.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Swiftstrike5
[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I just hope they don't give Jedi's a lightsaber from the get go.... it should be a long quest, like an epic weapon....GeneralShowzer

Yeah, the one officer in the video had a vibroblade. In the KOTOR series, you had to make/claim a lightsaber before you became a jedi/sith.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Its.... WoW re-skinned. nice music score, decent voice acting. I keep saying it, as an MMO its BLEH, but its star wars, so Il be interested anyway. as a game, no credible "WHOANESS" yet... if ever.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"] You aren't a Jedi unless you have a lightsaber. It'd be interesting if you started off with a generic character and had to do a class quest to become whatever you wanted.

Yeah, the one officer in the video had a vibroblade. In the KOTOR series, you had to make/claim a lightsaber before you became a jedi/sith.

Yeah, exactly what I meant...
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeneralShowzer
Its.... WoW re-skinned. nice music score, decent voice acting. I keep saying it, as an MMO its BLEH, but its star wars, so Il be interested anyway. as a game, no credible "WHOANESS" yet... if ever.Birdy09
MMORPG's like any genre are similar between each other. You can't say that every FPS is Doom re-skinned.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]Its.... WoW re-skinned. nice music score, decent voice acting. I keep saying it, as an MMO its BLEH, but its star wars, so Il be interested anyway. as a game, no credible "WHOANESS" yet... if ever.GeneralShowzer
MMORPG's like any genre are similar between each other. You can't say that every FPS is Doom re-skinned.

You have more faith in humanity then i do. :P

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Birdy09
[QUOTE="Birdy09"]Its.... WoW re-skinned. nice music score, decent voice acting. I keep saying it, as an MMO its BLEH, but its star wars, so Il be interested anyway. as a game, no credible "WHOANESS" yet... if ever.GeneralShowzer

Correct you cant, but thats just a technicality isnt it? Its very VERY WoW Like, down to its themes, mechanics ect.. and it looks like it could be WoW re-skinned, one game trying to capitilize on another games charm just ends up looking the same, this is a huge case of that more than most of the MMO's that have come out recently. (except Allods... which is in the same boat as this).
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
At first glance of the GP demo, it doesn't look very impressive. However, this was a level 10 mission (speculated cap is 50). What other quest do other MMOs have you doing around that level? Killing wolves for pelts? Also notice the dialogue, this will be the first MMO fully voiced. Each class will have 200 unique hours of story, and each class has two advanced classes. For example, a Trooper can specialize as a tank or DPS, or a Jedi can specialize as a tank or dps. An Imperial Agent can specialize as a crowd-control/support and a dps...and so on (not all specializations have been confirmed). The point is, the trinity system will be more complex than what we're used to. Anyway, the fact that it's Bioware and Star Wars guarantees this game will have one of the biggest launches in MMO history, the question is can they keep players going after the story is over.
Slayster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Slayster
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts

Part of me is still wishing for KOTOR3 instead but I do still plan to play this from day 1!

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts

How exactly is that footage impressive? How does it make people get this game from day 1? It looks just like any other mmorpg out there. If it had an ounce of innovation I would consider getting it, but so far it's looking exactly like the other generic mmo garbage.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="LTZH"]At first glance of the GP demo, it doesn't look very impressive. However, this was a level 10 mission (speculated cap is 50). What other quest do other MMOs have you doing around that level? Killing wolves for pelts? Also notice the dialogue, this will be the first MMO fully voiced. Each class will have 200 unique hours of story, and each class has two advanced classes. For example, a Trooper can specialize as a tank or DPS, or a Jedi can specialize as a tank or dps. An Imperial Agent can specialize as a crowd-control/support and a dps...and so on (not all specializations have been confirmed). The point is, the trinity system will be more complex than what we're used to. Anyway, the fact that it's Bioware and Star Wars guarantees this game will have one of the biggest launches in MMO history, the question is can they keep players going after the story is over.

if it doesnt, Ill keep switching classes until the game is completely outdated.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Birdy09

How exactly is that footage impressive? How does it make people get this game from day 1? It looks just like any other mmorpg out there. If it had an ounce of innovation I would consider getting it, but so far it's looking exactly like the other generic mmo garbage.

BDK-Soft
Theyre just wanting thier next WoW Fix.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="BDK-Soft"]

Birdy09

Theyre just wanting thier next WoW Fix.

ya ok, may as well say every fps is the same or any other genre is all the same. If its a mmorpg there are certain aspects that have to be there for the game to even work. this one just looks extremely fun to play. I dont know what people want, maybe a game where everything is upside down and makes you nauseus, I think that would be original and would have to be great!

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

At first glance of the GP demo, it doesn't look very impressive. However, this was a level 10 mission (speculated cap is 50). What other quest do other MMOs have you doing around that level? Killing wolves for pelts? Also notice the dialogue, this will be the first MMO fully voiced. Each class will have 200 unique hours of story, and each class has two advanced classes. For example, a Trooper can specialize as a tank or DPS, or a Jedi can specialize as a tank or dps. An Imperial Agent can specialize as a crowd-control/support and a dps...and so on (not all specializations have been confirmed). The point is, the trinity system will be more complex than what we're used to. Anyway, the fact that it's Bioware and Star Wars guarantees this game will have one of the biggest launches in MMO history, the question is can they keep players going after the story is over.LTZH

The 200 hours of exclusive storyline for every class sounds too ambitious to be true. Kotor 1 had 20-25 hours of gameplay. That's like creating 8 kotor 1 for each class.

Tbh, as a veteran of many mmo (not WoW though), I have to say that this was not really impressive, especially after watching the elementalist/warrior skills trailers for Guild wars 2 (the main 2011 competitor), where everything is cool and flashy. I couldn't help, but think of my minstrel (healer) in Lord of the ring online when I was watching that consular running around. Almost like they couldn't make any innovation for a healer role, except stay back, click the name of the guy you need to heal and press 1. I couldn't really see the other class, so I will not comment about them. I am worried about this, I think I will just grab it for the solo contents and leave after to a mmo with more depth.

Edit; ho and btw, this is not the first fully voiced mmo, Everquest 2 was the first

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts

[QUOTE="LTZH"]At first glance of the GP demo, it doesn't look very impressive. However, this was a level 10 mission (speculated cap is 50). What other quest do other MMOs have you doing around that level? Killing wolves for pelts? Also notice the dialogue, this will be the first MMO fully voiced. Each class will have 200 unique hours of story, and each class has two advanced classes. For example, a Trooper can specialize as a tank or DPS, or a Jedi can specialize as a tank or dps. An Imperial Agent can specialize as a crowd-control/support and a dps...and so on (not all specializations have been confirmed). The point is, the trinity system will be more complex than what we're used to. Anyway, the fact that it's Bioware and Star Wars guarantees this game will have one of the biggest launches in MMO history, the question is can they keep players going after the story is over.Franko_3

The 200 hours of exclusive storyline for every class sounds too ambitious to be true. Kotor 1 had 20-25 hours of gameplay. That's like creating 8 kotor 1 for each class.

Tbh, as a veteran of many mmo (not WoW though), I have to say that this was not really impressive, especially after watching the elementalist/warrior skills trailers for Guild wars 2 (the main 2011 competitor), where everything is cool and flashy. I couldn't help, but think of my minstrel (healer) in Lord of the ring online when I was watching that consular running around. Almost like they couldn't make any innovation for a healer role, except stay back, click the name of the guy you need to heal and press 1. I couldn't really see the other class, so I will not comment about them. I am worried about this, I think I will just grab it for the solo contents and leave after to a mmo with more depth.

Edit; ho and btw, this is not the first fully voiced mmo, Everquest 2 was the first

The reason the counselor stayed back was to provide a camera for the battle. Plus, one of the specializations for the counselor is a DPS one that's like Darth Maul. Like I said, I didn't think it was impressive either, but I don't think we'll know what the game is like until open beta.
Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Siofen
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

God I hate looking at the Jedi councilor robes, it just screams WOW priest, and when he said the councilor is going to be looking at their health bars....dear god.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts
Its.... WoW re-skinned. nice music score, decent voice acting. I keep saying it, as an MMO its BLEH, but its star wars, so Il be interested anyway. as a game, no credible "WHOANESS" yet... if ever.Birdy09
it is NOT wow reskinned.... when was the last time you saw wow have party cutscenes.... or a real story.... or NPC companions that can help with quests.... this game is nothing like WOW besides being an MMO. stop spreading your uninformed drivel.
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
So it's like WoW but simpler. Eh.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
I learned the hard way many times to never buy an MMO straight out of launch. It's best to wait a month or two, even if it's something as popular as this.
Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts
So it's like WoW but simpler. Eh.Vfanek
so you are like.... a human but not. that is about as much sense as your comment makes.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts

as much as I enjoy WoW, I am constantly searching for another MMO to occupy my time. LOTRO was good, but not good enough. Age of Conan was excellent, but not even close to WoW.

Hopefully SW:TOR is my savior

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="BDK-Soft"] ya ok, may as well say every fps is the same or any other genre is all the same. If its a mmorpg there are certain aspects that have to be there for the game to even work. this one just looks extremely fun to play. I dont know what people want, maybe a game where everything is upside down and makes you nauseus, I think that would be original and would have to be great!

TerrorRizzing
.... but there are alot of FPS that are alike.... and they get bashed for it?
[QUOTE="Birdy09"]Its.... WoW re-skinned. nice music score, decent voice acting. I keep saying it, as an MMO its BLEH, but its star wars, so Il be interested anyway. as a game, no credible "WHOANESS" yet... if ever.Roland123_basic
it is NOT wow reskinned.... when was the last time you saw wow have party cutscenes.... or a real story.... or NPC companions that can help with quests.... this game is nothing like WOW besides being an MMO. stop spreading your uninformed drivel.

Im sorry mate, I looked at that fight and saw WoW, what more do you want me to say? IT looks and plays heavily like WoW. what it does with story and characters inbetween is its unique niche I dont disagree, but the combat looks as basic and drab as every WoW clone out there. Like the other more realistic people have said, what the hell is "Whoa" about this footage?
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Wow clone?What do you expect the combat in an MMO to be?

So, every game is a clone of the first game that came out in this genre?And why is it always wow?It's not like wow is the first or best mmo out there.

And seriously, graphics?Graphics in MMOs are less demanding so more people can play them.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Birdy09

Wow clone?What do you expect the combat in an MMO to be?

To be unique to itself or to at least try to stand out and not look like the same?

So, every game is a clone of the first game that came out in this genre?And why is it always wow?It's not like wow is the first or best mmo out there.

Why is it WoW? take a simple guess, its the cahs cow of the industry, many many, infact most MMO's coming out have closely stuck to its formular in many ways adding thier own bits to be successful, with a reversed result of failure due to... being JUST THAT.

And seriously, graphics?Graphics in MMOs are less demanding so more people can play them.

Not my problem, those graphics looked alright from an artistic perspective, but due to the way the world is designed *cough WoW ****cough* sorry bad throat, every looks small and insignifigant... just like in WoW.

coreybg

Not hating, I will be getting this, I give every MMO a chance, but so far, its been a case of yet another WoW-Heavy-Influenced game with one or 2 of its own niche's .... only that combat looked blatantly average for the genre... on the lower scale.

IS this a heavy case of brand babying? I love star wars as much as the next person, but it just seems that Bioware is the Apple of MMO world... is it being fanboy'd up because its a Bioware product despite being behind a curve? because there has been nothing of real interest in terms of gameplay so far.

MaxGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MaxGamer
Member since 2002 • 16500 Posts

Looks like a nice casual encounter for a Sunday morning. I can't say that I'm impressed, but then again this is low level play and the game is far from finished. It's already far more complex than any of WoW's lower level dungeons. The music and graphics are on point, and the dialog gives it a nice single-player feel. I also like how a ranged unit will be able to tank.

It's too early to tell for sure, but this is shaping up to be a pretty solid MMO. Can't wait to see more.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
Hmm, in the movies, one shot from a laser will kill a fully armored trooper...i wish they kept that mechanic, would make the game ALOT more interesting...
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Looks good, but the cartoonish graphics killed all my hype.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

I have to say that I am pretty underwhelmed. Didn't the devs say at one point that there were going to not have the cookie-cutter classes(tanks,healers,dps, ect) that we've seen before? Ha, so much for that BS!

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

I have to say that I am pretty underwhelmed. Didn't the devs say at one point that there were going to not have the cookie-cutter classes(tanks,healers,dps, ect) that we've seen before? Ha, so much for that BS!

THGarrett
They probably said that before they realized they can't get it to work any other way.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I just hope they don't give Jedi's a lightsaber from the get go.... it should be a long quest, like an epic weapon....Swiftstrike5

Building/constructing one's lightsaber is one of the trials to become a jedi, it happends up to 3 times, 1 for padawan, 1 for knight, and 1 more for master. It is also part of rite and ritual.

Though im not sure if the old republic will follow this or not.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I just hope they don't give Jedi's a lightsaber from the get go.... it should be a long quest, like an epic weapon....Lach0121

Building/constructing one's lightsaber is one of the trials to become a jedi, it happends up to 3 times, 1 for padawan, 1 for knight, and 1 more for master. It is also part of rite and ritual.

It maybe the starter quest, and then level milestone quests. But this makes me wonder, how are you going to make interesting looking weapons for Jedi's? theyre just straight beams...
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"] You aren't a Jedi unless you have a lightsaber. It'd be interesting if you started off with a generic character and had to do a class quest to become whatever you wanted.Birdy09

It maybe the starter quest, and then level milestone quests. But this makes me wonder, how are you going to make interesting looking weapons for Jedi's? theyre just straight beams...

Jedi/sith use more than their lightsabers, just that is their main weapon, besides you can make all different kinds of hilts, not to mention the blades, pulsating, or small discharging electricity from the blade, strange colors etc. (also the crystals that you put inside the lightsaber to give it its values)

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

I just hope they do like SWG and allow player guilds to create citys on planets. And have our own merchants selling our wares again :P I loved roaming arround on planets on my speeder looking for the best deals arround while being hunted by bounty hunters :D Was one of the first to finish up my holocrons and become a jedi :)

SWG felt huge because everyone in the community played it's part. Smugglers creating spices and slicing/hacking weapons to make them more powerful. Merchants, architects... I hope they bring in some stuff like this. It made the game for me. Not to mention the fun guild vs guild city invasions >:D

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside
I don't think it's WoW re-skinned, although the graphics do look alike. It's BioWare, they are a quality company who know how to make RPGs...
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Way to go Bioware..... first developer to get me interested in an MMO. Looks absolutely stunning. I can not wait.
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

looks just as boring as any other mmo

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points