Steam's Big Picture is here!

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

It's pretty good, really, really nicely done.skrat_01

Yep, I like it a lot, feels smooth and the design is pretty good.

Funny thing is this is already better than the XMB of PS3, way smoother and less cluttered with icons.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Half Life 3? No? Don't care. Talk to me when you make games again, Valve.
xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

My thoughts so far on BBM:

Pros-

1: It's a gorgeous and intuitive UI. Easily outclasses the PS3 and 360 interfaces. It's silky smooth and just feels right. I actually like using the UI.

2: It accomplishes it's goal of bringing the Steam ecosystem to the living room. I tried using my PC on my HDTV in the past, and although it worked, it always felt out of place. Steam BBM goes a long way towards fixing that. I can now use my main gaming hub with a controller in hand while interacting with a slick interface that doesn't require binoculars to read text.

3: The browser isn't terrible. I like the way BBM uses the analog stick for typing. Once I got the hang of it, I felt like typing was faster than using the standard virtual keyboard the PS3/360 uses. I was also able to play Netflix and Hulu Plus from the Steam browser, but that wasn't without it's own problems(see cons).

Cons-

1: Although the UI is awesome, it still has a few bugs. Namely, I wasn't able to search for anything after typing in my query. This may be an isolated problem with me, but for some reason search just wouldn't work. BBM also crashed on me for some reason, not sure why. But this is a beta afterall, so I'm sure this type of stuff will be handled before it's official release.

2: The browser, while not terrible, isn't that great either. It was a tad slow, and a bit buggy. For example, typing in login credentials proved to be a pain, since the browser would zoom in on the webpage, but not on the login prompt, which left me hoping that I typed in my info correctly. This was a real pain on Hulu, since it wouldn't even allow me to select the password box without using my mouse. Again, small bugs that can be fixed, but their presence should be noted.

3: And finally, if Steam wants to really compete for the living room, then BBM needs to outclass the 360/PS3 user experience in every way, not just bringing the steam library in large font and icons. Specifically, the use of 3rd party apps like Netflix and Hulu MUST be better supported. Not sure what Steam can do to fix this, but if Steam is going to be my main media hub in the living room, I want to be able to access ALL of my media content, from Steam, with controller in hand.

Outside of those few issues, I think BBM is off to a fantastic start. I hope they fix the above issues, and implement better "in house" support for things like Netflix and Hulu Plus. Great job Valve, you're one step closer to completely taking over my living room!

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 xxxLUGZxxx

Half Life 3? No? Don't care. Talk to me when you make games again, Valve.SKaREO

Geez, did Valve forget to buy you a Hot Wheels car during their last Walmart trip? Grow up.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Big Picture Mode lags for me. When it has stuff loaded (like at the home screen) it's fine, but then I move to the next tab and it takes FOREVER to load.

LP4EVA2005

Wait, big picture is up and running already? cuz im on steam right now and i dont see the Big Picture icon on the menu screen (and i wasnt forced to update when i opened steam)

Go to options and switch to Steam Beta program.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Half Life 3? No? Don't care. Talk to me when you make games again, Valve.xxxLUGZxxx

Geez, did Valve forget to buy you a Hot Wheels car during their last Walmart trip? Grow up.

They are turning PC gaming into a casual console experience. I shall QQ until the cows come home, or until Half Life 3 is released for PC only.
xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 xxxLUGZxxx

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Half Life 3? No? Don't care. Talk to me when you make games again, Valve.SKaREO

They are turning PC gaming into a casual console experience. I shall QQ until the cows come home, or until Half Life 3 is released for PC only.

So creating a superior user experience is Valve turing the PC into a "casual console experience"?

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

xxxLUGZxxx

So creating a superior user experience is Valve turing the PC into a "casual console experience"?

Does Blizzard support xbox controllers in their games yet? Maybe you should start a petition!
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#59 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

You can already do this on Xbox Live which is already hooked up to your TV. Why would someone take the trouble of going through Steam when they already have it ready and waiting on their consoles?

Seems like a blatant attempt to cash in on the console's market to me.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

3: And finally, if Steam wants to really compete for the living room, then BBM needs to outclass the 360/PS3 user experience in every way, not just bringing the steam library in large font and icons. Specifically, the use of 3rd party apps like Netflix and Hulu MUST be better supported. Not sure what Steam can do to fix this, but if Steam is going to be my main media hub in the living room, I want to be able to access ALL of my media content, from Steam, with controller in hand.

xxxLUGZxxx

I disagree. They already have a browser that allows you to access these things. You are running a computer, which is already so much more powerful than Steam itself. It would be a redundant feature.

You can already do this on Xbox Live which is already hooked up to your TV. Why would someone take the trouble of going through Steam when they already have it ready and waiting on their consoles?

Starshine_M2A2

One reason is that not all PC gamers own consoles. I don't own any, and I already have a gaming PC for playing on a TV. This will make it easier for me to run my Steam games. It is also nice that you do not have to buy a game twice.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Why would someone take the trouble of going through Steam when they already have it ready and waiting on their consoles?

Seems like a blatant attempt to cash in on the console's market to me.Starshine_M2A2

I don't own any consoles, and now I have even less reason to :|

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#62 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
[quote="Starshine_M2A2"]

Falconoffury

One reason is that not all PC gamers own consoles. I don't own any, and I already have a gaming PC for playing on a TV. This will make it easier for me to run my Steam games. It is also nice that you do not have to buy a game twice.

But aren't consoles outselling gaming PCs by a zillion to one?
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#63 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I don't really get the benefit of this. Why would you want to look at Steam on your TV? lol
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
Given that I have a HDTV hooked up to my system at all times, I might as well use it for some racing/fighting gaming.
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
Given that I have a HDTV hooked up to my system at all times, I might as well use it for some racing/fighting gaming.
Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

I don't really get the benefit of this. Why would you want to look at Steam on your TV? lol biggest_loser

Because the font of steam is tiny and heard to read on a big screen. This makes it possible to use with a controller as well.

I don't see how anyone could be against this. Isn't PC gaming all about having options and customization? This includes having a simpler UI for use with controllers for HTPCs.

I play on my HDTV all the time, I don't even own a monitor.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
[QUOTE="Falconoffury"][quote="Starshine_M2A2"]

Starshine_M2A2

But aren't consoles outselling gaming PCs by a zillion to one?

There really isn't a way to measure that metric since there isn't really a reliable way to count the number of "gaming" PC's sold, about the closest you could get to producing those numbers would be to count up all the "gaming" PC's sold by companies like CyberPower PC, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, etc. AND also count up the number of powerful AMD and Nvidia graphics cards sold on there own for people wanting to upgrade their custom builts or prebuilts (admitedly this tally would also have flaws).
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I don't see how anyone could be against this. Isn't PC gaming all about having options and customization? This includes having a simpler UI for use with controllers for HTPCs.Ben-Buja
PC Gaming has it's own tea party equivalent. Spreading dumb ideas and misinformation in an effort to keep us "pure." It's much like genocide, really.
cboyuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#69 cboyuno
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

annoying ass voice but cool idea

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#70 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I thought this feature was going to make the controller work with every Steam game. That doesn't seem to be the case. One thing I really dislike about Big Picture is if you press the big X button (guide button) in the middle of the 360 controller, it brings up the Steam BP interface on your TV. Problem is, if you're playing a GFWL title, that button is how you access your friends list and other GFWL features. So what happens is Steam loads and you get taken out of your game. There doesn't seem to be a way to map this feature to a different button in the Steam settings. I know it's still in beta so hopefully this will change.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I don't really get the benefit of this. Why would you want to look at Steam on your TV? lol biggest_loser

Because some of us have the computer hooked up to the TV and Steam is incredibly hard to read.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]me controllers are more accurate than mouse and keyboardR4gn4r0k

You play CS: GO with a controller ?

and quake live and css controllers r more precise mouse is for noobs