RAGE - More Bull from a Dev...???

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Mazoch"]

I think people are misreading parts of the interview and the point being made.

Yeah the rage launch was a disaster on the PC. Carmack points to the AMD driver issue but that's obviously not the only problem. However the rest of his point is not an explanation or justification for those issues.

Rage was a game that was first and foremost developed as a proof of concept for ID Tech 5. As such, to be truly successful it had to achieve several things:

1) It HAD to do well on both consoles. If it failed to do that it would be dead and gone as a potential 3rd part engine other companies would want to license

2) It had to look good. It only partially meets that requirement. there' some really weird, incredibly low res textures seen through the game.

He is correct though, if you're developing technology with the aim of having it work well on all platforms you HAVE to worry about the smaller and weaker platforms first. ID (and by extension Carmack) failed in their launch of Rage and right now I'd guess that the future of ID Tech 5 is uncertain to say the least. But everything he says about platform cross development makes sense and are hardly cause for screaming betrayal.

Mazoch

@1. Carmack doesn't like licensing his engines, doesn't like supporting them after he makes them. That's why you have to publish with ZeniMax/Bethesda to even license, instead of it being open like UE3.xxx which you can license for free 100% and only once you make 50k off of it do you have to pay Epic a penny.

What makes you say that ID / Carmack / Bethesda dosent like licensing out their engines? That's a HUGE part of what made ID what they are today. I'm not saying that you are incorrect, I've just never heard any hint of that before.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Id-Tech-John-Carmack-Tim-Willits-Doom-4-RAGE,12914.html

Also, Machinima's history of id goes into how Carmack would only spend a day with other devs explaining how to do stuff/how it works, couldn't be bothered to actually support it even in early id.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YreEwtV7D0

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#52 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

I respected this guy thanks to all the great games he did in the past. Heck, if it wasn't because of the PC he wouldn't be famous in the gaming world.

Now, instead of giving some love to the PC he turns its back on focuses on consoles. Quite disappointing. Sure, it can be understandable that you get more money from consoles and how developers can rip off consumers thanks to DLC but that doesn't mean forgetting the PC.

I'm glad I didn't waste $60 on this game. Gonna wait for a Steam Sale for get it.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Opps got ninja'd.

As for what Carmack said, well the guy becomes less and less relevant every day. I can't say I am all that impressed by what i have seen of RAGE I mean christ the quality of the textures are lower quality than you would find in an Xbox, PS2 game. I am actually quite pleased that Carmack isn't licensing the engine behind RAGE because to be honest I don't want to see another game with horrendously IQ like RAGE ever again.

HoosTrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 HoosTrax
Member since 2006 • 1325 Posts
Bethsoft really needs PR "handlers" to keep Carmack on a short leash so he doesn't go and run his mouth and make a fool of himself. Still though, you can only blame gamers for placing him on a pedestal with the whole "Carmack is God" thing.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

Once again developing to the lowest common denominator. It doesn't take guts to just go after the money, just a desire for said money. Also whos fault is it for elevating these people to such grand heights as gaming god? Only those that did to blame.

Carmack is a common sense moron. Genius at what he does/did but void of intellect when dealing with people. Just sayin'.

s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
what exactly is so wrong about PC version of RAGE ? Is it just that texture issue ? or more
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Inconsistancy
what exactly is so wrong about PC version of RAGE ? Is it just that texture issue ? or mores_emi_xxxxx
The popping can be vastly minimized by a config edit, and the drivers are all working, apparently Nvidia is still having vsync issues though, maybe fixable with a launch command, can't find it atm though.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I want to get this game I am in two minds,Dont know if you have seen the link below apologise if already posted.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rage-pc-new-amd-and-nvidia-drivers-coming-these-days/

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#59 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

I'll let u guys decide...but I'm sick of excuses...

GummiRaccoon

I dunno, some of that directly contradicts what he said at the keynote speech. For instance, their plan to use PC as the lead platform for future titles, because making consoles first was a huge mistake.

Exactly. He definitely has issues.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Am_Confucius

I dunno, some of that directly contradicts what he said at the keynote speech. For instance, their plan to use PC as the lead platform for future titles, because making consoles first was a huge mistake.

That's not nice.

What's not nice about it, John Carmack himself in his june quakecon keynote speech that for their next title (doom4?) they were going to design the game for the PC first and scale it back for consoles, because doing it the way they did with rage was a huge mistake.

As we can all see from this ongoing debacle.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

He sux. Or has lost all his talent, or somebody else made Quake 3, because... please, that is a master piece Rage is like a joke.

He's full of crap too.

Just include an options menu with everything confiugrable IT DOESNT HAVE TO LOOK GOOD U GORMLESS TOSSA

TheHunterV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TheHunterV3
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts
I've lost respect for ID
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#63 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

Hmm, I can see why most devs left for console gaming, pc gamers are just perfectionist by heart and hard to please.

Bikouchu35

i know right? pc gamers should be blessed by the plethora of bugs in rage, including the absolute choppiest performance (since maxing crysis in 2007) EVEN during the least demanding parts of id's masterpiece. invisible enemies? shouldnt be a problem for anyone! it makes perfect sense for enemies to bug and go invisible during gameplay! i dont understand why pc gamers are so upset when a game is almost completely broken by bugs. :roll:

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Morrinator"]

From a business point of view his comments make perfect sense. If you were in his shoes you would do the exact same thing. It is all about money people... Carmack doesn't owe anyone anything.

Here is what it comes down to:

- if PC gamers boycott (lol) ID games in the future they will still make exceptional money off selling their games on consoles.

- now turn the situation on it's head... they can not survive with only the PC market on their side if the consoles boycotted their products.

If you want to blame anything, how about the absurd pricess for gaming hardware? I mean does NVIDIA and AMD really need to come out with a new card every 4 months.

In my opinion, NVIDIA and AMD with their lack of patch support and price gouging is what has contribute large to the demise of PC gaming with a lot of old school PC gamers switching to console because they get tired of spending 2 days getting a game to run out of the box.

Morrinator

LOL, are u blaming the video cards for the bad optimization in Rage....?

Read son... for God sakes read. I was giving my opinion on why consoles have seemed to grab the attention of developers over the PC community.

Read... think... then post. In that order.

U might have, but u word it the wrong way for sure...

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts

"both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version" - John Carmack

Well duh, if it is this buggy, no one on the PC is going to buy it.

Blizzard doesn't have any issue selling PC games.

GummiRaccoon

Exactly. I dont see why they don't market to PC players more, how many people do you know who DONT have a computer or two?

By the way I have avoided news on this game until I get it for christmas, what exactly are the issues the PC version is having ( thats the version ill be getting, I much prefer FPS games on pc )

Do you think the issues will be fixed by christmas?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

GummiRaccoon

Post release publications are taking old quotes out of context, as with new ones.

Because video games journalism is on the whole, utter ****.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

skrat_01

Post release publications are taking old quotes out of context, as with new ones.

How do you know it's an old quote?

HoosTrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 HoosTrax
Member since 2006 • 1325 Posts
The quote about "developing RAGE for consoles was a big mistake, future titles will put priority on PC hardware" was an old quote from June that's being dredged up in the wake of the Rage release. As far as I know, the quote about PCs not being the lead platform is from last night.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

topgunmv

How do you know it's an old quote?

The PC being the lead was stated a long while ago, the game was intended primarily for a console audience - though yeah it's now news due to the recent PR circulating, which OP has linked.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 skrat_01

The quote about "developing RAGE for consoles was a big mistake, future titles will put priority on PC hardware" was an old quote from June that's being dredged up in the wake of the Rage release. As far as I know, the quote about PCs not being the lead platform is from last night.HoosTrax
Ah gotcha, yes that has been doing the rounds recently as well. I thought it was well established the PC wasn't the lead, quite sure I had read quotes, though it's a bit late to go digging.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

When has Carmack ever been truly relevant? If he broke onto the scene in the late 1990s, he would be far less well known. Only reason he succeeded was because standards for gaming were so low back then.

Granted, I still like the man. No one should ever be trapped by dogmatic commitments to "PC gaming".

He speaks the truth. Console gaming is more relevant because that is where the money is at. When will PC gaming revenues ever eclipse console gaming's revenues? It hasn't, and despite Steam making over a billion in revenue each year, that is still only a fraction of what console games make.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FelipeInside

When has Carmack ever been truly relevant? If he broke onto the scene in the late 1990s, he would be far less well known. Only reason he succeeded was because standards for gaming were so low back then.

Granted, I still like the man. No one should ever be trapped by dogmatic commitments to "PC gaming".

He speaks the truth. Console gaming is more relevant because that is where the money is at. When will PC gaming revenues ever eclipse console gaming's revenues? It hasn't, and despite Steam making over a billion in revenue each year, that is still only a fraction of what console games make.

The_Capitalist

Yes, we know that... but it's not the point.

I'm just sick of developers bringing out the "consoles are more relevant" or "PC is not the leading platform" excuses to hide the fact they brought out a broken product.

It's like "Hey, let's release this and if the PC community doesn't like it, we'll bring out the CONSOLES IS MORE RELEVANT speech".

Take for example CDProjekt in contrast to Rage... they brought out Witcher 2 with bugs like the first. Did they go out and say "Hey, we are concentrating more on the XBOX version"? No, they apologized, started fixing the issues and even gave gamers free stuff. PC gamers in reponse praised them even though they had to wait for the fixes.

THAT's what ID should have done with RAGE... instead of lame excuses.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
RAGE will still be getting patches and a high-res texture pack(supposedly 150GB+ as opposed to the current 11GB textures we are currently using). A lot of folks misunderstand, a good game engine will be good regardless of what platform its games are developed for, but you know the issue with PC gamers, particularly the graphics bandwagoners that make the real gamers look bad, there not looking to have any meaningful communication. Crysis series - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. Metro 2033 - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. The Witcher 2 - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. RAGE - virtual textures, massive non-repeating continuous texture allowing game designers to add whatever details they want, unrestricted, 2011 technology. Downside of virtual textures: massive storage space is required and for retail release, compressed textures pretty much make it so the studio version is the "true" version while the one we get on day one is far inferior due to being only 11GB versus the 150GB+ textures for the version developer's have at id's studios. If the textures are an issue for you right now, then I suggest checking out the latest patch on Steam(not sure if it fixes it but it does add graphics options), and waiting for the massive texture pack(or fix some may call it) coming soon, it will be the studio version of the textures plus some touch ups.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

RAGE will still be getting patches and a high-res texture pack(supposedly 150GB+ as opposed to the current 11GB textures we are currently using). A lot of folks misunderstand, a good game engine will be good regardless of what platform its games are developed for, but you know the issue with PC gamers, particularly the graphics bandwagoners that make the real gamers look bad, there not looking to have any meaningful communication. Crysis series - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. Metro 2033 - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. The Witcher 2 - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. RAGE - virtual textures, massive non-repeating continuous texture allowing game designers to add whatever details they want, unrestricted, 2011 technology. Downside of virtual textures: massive storage space is required and for retail release, compressed textures pretty much make it so the studio version is the "true" version while the one we get on day one is far inferior due to being only 11GB versus the 150GB+ textures for the version developer's have at id's studios. If the textures are an issue for you right now, then I suggest checking out the latest patch on Steam(not sure if it fixes it but it does add graphics options), and waiting for the massive texture pack(or fix some may call it) coming soon, it will be the studio version of the textures plus some touch ups.Zubinen

But do those non-repeating textures add anything to the visuals? I get the feeling that they could have kept repeating textures in certain spots without detracting from the visuals at all.

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

[QUOTE="Zubinen"]RAGE will still be getting patches and a high-res texture pack(supposedly 150GB+ as opposed to the current 11GB textures we are currently using). A lot of folks misunderstand, a good game engine will be good regardless of what platform its games are developed for, but you know the issue with PC gamers, particularly the graphics bandwagoners that make the real gamers look bad, there not looking to have any meaningful communication. Crysis series - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. Metro 2033 - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. The Witcher 2 - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. RAGE - virtual textures, massive non-repeating continuous texture allowing game designers to add whatever details they want, unrestricted, 2011 technology. Downside of virtual textures: massive storage space is required and for retail release, compressed textures pretty much make it so the studio version is the "true" version while the one we get on day one is far inferior due to being only 11GB versus the 150GB+ textures for the version developer's have at id's studios. If the textures are an issue for you right now, then I suggest checking out the latest patch on Steam(not sure if it fixes it but it does add graphics options), and waiting for the massive texture pack(or fix some may call it) coming soon, it will be the studio version of the textures plus some touch ups.The_Capitalist

But do those non-repeating textures add anything to the visuals? I get the feeling that they could have kept repeating textures in certain spots without detracting from the visuals at all.

Maybe I'm playing a different version of Rage than everyone else, but overall the game just looks incredible and runs great. I think most of this "uprage" is just typical pc elitism as the game runs very well for the most part and, once again, looks amazing.

Cobretti1818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Cobretti1818
Member since 2005 • 511 Posts

So the fact that the PC market is smaller than the console market means it is ok to release an unfinished bug-ridden streaming pile of broken crap?

Glad I didn't buy this crap, and NO, I didn't pirate it either.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Inconsistancy

So the fact that the PC market is smaller than the console market means it is ok to release an unfinished bug-ridden streaming pile of broken crap?

Glad I didn't buy this crap, and NO, I didn't pirate it either.

Cobretti1818
Good that you know it's working fine... :roll: AMD really has hurt id's reputation with their dumb shoddy drivers for 3 days.
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Good that you know it's working fine... :roll: AMD really has hurt id's reputation with their dumb shoddy drivers for 3 days.Inconsistancy

As far as I am aware a fair few Nvidia users are having problems with this game too and are currently waiting for Nvidia to issue a new driver update in the hope that it will fix some of the issues. So I guess it is the fault of both Nvidia and AMD and nothing to do with Carmack and Co not actually making damn sure their game works with the current drivers out there. This isn't something you can lay at the GPU Company's door, in my books iD should also share a large proportion of the blame for this mess.

Not to mention the fact that there are no graphical options and a 20 slot save game limit which you can't blame Nvidia or AMD for. THe game just comes across as a sloppy port job that iD really couldn't be bothered with on the PC. Honestly if this is the best iD can do on the PC then they are more than welcome to toddle off and entertain their console audience.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="Zubinen"]RAGE will still be getting patches and a high-res texture pack(supposedly 150GB+ as opposed to the current 11GB textures we are currently using). A lot of folks misunderstand, a good game engine will be good regardless of what platform its games are developed for, but you know the issue with PC gamers, particularly the graphics bandwagoners that make the real gamers look bad, there not looking to have any meaningful communication. Crysis series - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. Metro 2033 - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. The Witcher 2 - standard tiny repeating textures, 1990's technology. RAGE - virtual textures, massive non-repeating continuous texture allowing game designers to add whatever details they want, unrestricted, 2011 technology. Downside of virtual textures: massive storage space is required and for retail release, compressed textures pretty much make it so the studio version is the "true" version while the one we get on day one is far inferior due to being only 11GB versus the 150GB+ textures for the version developer's have at id's studios. If the textures are an issue for you right now, then I suggest checking out the latest patch on Steam(not sure if it fixes it but it does add graphics options), and waiting for the massive texture pack(or fix some may call it) coming soon, it will be the studio version of the textures plus some touch ups.Endgame_basic

Maybe I'm playing a different version of Rage than everyone else, but overall the game just looks incredible and runs great. I think most of this "uprage" is just typical pc elitism as the game runs very well for the most part and, once again, looks amazing.

Maybe just cause it works good for you doesn't mean it works great for everyone...?

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Put yourself in his shoes and try to make an engine as revolutionary as id tech 5 with one of the smallest dev teams in the studio with very limited resources, while making rockets part time. The fact that id managed to even optimize RAGE for consoles to run at 60fps is a marvel.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 shakmaster13

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]Good that you know it's working fine... :roll: AMD really has hurt id's reputation with their dumb shoddy drivers for 3 days.charmingcharlie

As far as I am aware a fair few Nvidia users are having problems with this game too and are currently waiting for Nvidia to issue a new driver update in the hope that it will fix some of the issues. So I guess it is the fault of both Nvidia and AMD and nothing to do with Carmack and Co not actually making damn sure their game works with the current drivers out there. This isn't something you can lay at the GPU Company's door, in my books iD should also share a large proportion of the blame for this mess.

Not to mention the fact that there are no graphical options and a 20 slot save game limit which you can't blame Nvidia or AMD for. THe game just comes across as a sloppy port job that iD really couldn't be bothered with on the PC. Honestly if this is the best iD can do on the PC then they are more than welcome to toddle off and entertain their console audience.

I thought graphics options were patched in via steam.
IcyRhythms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 IcyRhythms
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts

Rage works very well for me after this last patch. Much better looking but textures are still ass from a close distance

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#83 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Lots of pc gamer butthurt in here. Carmack isn't saying anything a dozen other previously pc-centric game developers haven't said already. Rage runs fine for me, I'm lucky enough to have a nvidia card and consoles aren't having any problems, it's only AMD. Enough of the drama.

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts

Rage on the PC also works fine for me and I have a Nvidia card. However I find the texture quality very low for a PC game. Is it the exact same quality textures as the console versions or do the console versions have higher quality textures?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Is it the exact same quality textures as the console versions or do the console versions have higher quality textures?

DJP3000

What the hell are you talking about? PC has the higher res textures. Consoles can't go past the 4k by 4k texture resolution, but PC can go to 8k by 8k and even 16k by 16k if you wanted too.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

Is it the exact same quality textures as the console versions or do the console versions have higher quality textures?

ChubbyGuy40

What the hell are you talking about? PC has the higher res textures. Consoles can't go past the 4k by 4k texture resolution, but PC can go to 8k by 8k and even 16k by 16k if you wanted too.

Thats what he was ASKING.........
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

ChubbyGuy40

That's how much is being cached at max resolution(saving textures out of view so if you turn, it doesn't pop) not in anyway increasing the resolution of the texture, 'cause that's magic. :). The game's the same size, and that means it's the same textures.

Rage works very well for me after this last patch. Much better looking but textures are still ass from a close distance

IcyRhythms

That's going to require a texture pack, I don't know why people think you can make textures magically better w/o increasing the size of the textures. The source is 1tb of textures, the game ships with only 11(so I've heard) gb of textures, ~100x compression of the source texture.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

That's how much is being cached at max resolution(saving textures out of view so if you turn, it doesn't pop) not in anyway increasing the resolution of the texture, 'cause that's magic. :). The game's the same size, and that means it's the same textures.

Inconsistancy

No, it's increasing the size of the texture displayed, not the amount of textures stored in the video card's memory.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#89 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

Endgame_basic

Look at my pictures on page 2, thats with a custom config that overrides the shoddy auto-detection and forces everything on its highest, looks "amazing" eh?

And what the hell are you on about? Typical PC elitism? Hah, never knew complaining about a game being broken was considered elite.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Endgame_basic"]

koospetoors

Look at my pictures on page 2, thats with a custom config that overrides the shoddy auto-detection and forces everything on its highest, looks "amazing" eh?

And what the hell are you on about? Typical PC elitism? Hah, never knew complaining about a game being broken was considered elite.

From a certain distance that game looks great.. but even on the most beastly rigs, the textures are low-res, period. Even with the config set to 8k or 16k. It's still low-res when you walk up close enough, and i'm not talking about putting your face on the wall. You could see low-res textures at a distance you shouldn't even be at.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

ChubbyGuy40

No, it's increasing the size of the texture displayed, not the amount of textures stored in the video card's memory.

: /...

Look foward after looking at object out of view.

Turn camera fast! BAM

Allright, look at that wall again, and then foward!

And, surprise surprise, no poping!

I don't know why I get artifacts in my screenshots, don't get them ingame. Also, these are the new settings id made, that directly relate to the 'cache' settings we had to modify before:

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"

8k is 'large' 4k is 'small'.

It saves the textures on screen as a single texture inside of the memory (well sorta, I suspect it just saves the tiles upto the equivilent of 8k or 4k depending on settings, not actually making it one giant texture), it's dynamically updated, so the texture in memory is always changing, but 4k will only save what's infront of you in high res, and 8k will save a full 360 turn's worth of textures. In no way are the individual textures made higher res.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
I don't know why I get artifacts in my screenshots, don't get them ingame.Inconsistancy
They happen faster than you can see.
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
John Carmack, I am dissapoint.
ralph2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ralph2190
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

For those whose textures look muddy, I downloaded a modded config file posted by a user over at the Steam forums. Choose the config file that matches your system best. Ultra setting config file worked great for me (specs below). I had to edit the anti-aliasing value from 32 to 8 though.

Link here:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25524360#post25524360

Trust me, RAGE will look gorgeous once you use this modded config file. No texture streaming, no tearing (taken care of by the patch as well) and higher res textures.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

At least the game is living up to its name.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
Okay, first off, I bet half these people who are complaining about Rage didn't even buy the damn game in the first place. Second, I have a GTX470 and haven't had a single issue with texture pop-ins or anything.. I did have issues with vsync but I forced it on through the nvidia control panel. I also saw that someone was complaining about low res textures and took screenshots of a wall.. They mentioned before the game was out that it was going to be like that.. The game looks amazing and I really don't see why people are complaining about the quality of the game when it is a solid game. Best shooting in a game yet. Stop getting butt hurt over what Carmack said... lol. you guys are just sad.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

At least the game is living up to its name.

Qixote

5 star post

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#98 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Game runs VERY well now for me, no texture loading AT ALL.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#99 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Probally seen? but heres the update info

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6464/

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 shakmaster13

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

Inconsistancy

IcyRhythms

That's going to require a texture pack, I don't know why people think you can make textures magically better w/o increasing the size of the textures. The source is 1tb of textures, the game ships with only 11(so I've heard) gb of textures, ~100x compression of the source texture.

Tell me if I'm being stupid but I would think that making textures smaller would make the game look better?