RAGE - More Bull from a Dev...???

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

http://games.on.net/article/13929/RAGEs_Troubled_PC_Launch_Explained

I'll let u guys decide...but I'm sick of excuses...

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

FelipeInside

Hes got issues in the head i swear. something in his brain isn't clicking correctly.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

FelipeInside

I dunno, some of that directly contradicts what he said at the keynote speech. For instance, their plan to use PC as the lead platform for future titles, because making consoles first was a huge mistake.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

"both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version" - John Carmack

Well duh, if it is this buggy, no one on the PC is going to buy it.

Blizzard doesn't have any issue selling PC games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Hes got issues in the head i swear. something in his brain isn't clicking correctly.

That's what happens when you don't know what to say to excuse ur mistakes....
Morrinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Morrinator
Member since 2006 • 661 Posts

From a business point of view his comments make perfect sense. If you were in his shoes you would do the exact same thing. It is all about money people... Carmack doesn't owe anyone anything.

Here is what it comes down to:

- if PC gamers boycott (lol) ID games in the future they will still make exceptional money off selling their games on consoles.

- now turn the situation on it's head... they can not survive with only the PC market on their side if the consoles boycotted their products.

If you want to blame anything, how about the absurd pricess for gaming hardware? I mean does NVIDIA and AMD really need to come out with a new card every 4 months.

In my opinion, NVIDIA and AMD with their lack of patch support and price gouging is what has contribute large to the demise of PC gaming with a lot of old school PC gamers switching to console because they get tired of spending 2 days getting a game to run out of the box.

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

[QUOTE="Ikuto_Tsukiyomi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

That's what happens when you don't know what to say to excuse ur mistakes....

To be honest he should've just kept his trap shut and let the community fix it.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Wow. Piss poor showing by such a previously respected figure. There are multiplatform games everywhere with consoles as the lead platforms but the PC versions still work normally (and actually looked and played better). Its utter trite to make flimsy excuses over such a buggy and unplayable mess to your customers who paid you real money and then to say "Thats just too bad folks, we aren't really thinking about you". I love iD games, each and every one of them and I bet if I get Rage after its issues are fixed, I love it too. But this attitude is really off-putting and terribly disappointing. Tell Mr Carmack to get his head out of his arse and take a note or a million from Dice, who consistently cater judiciously to fans on all three platform and received great sales in return. (PC sales > PS3 sales, losing a little bit to 360).
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

From a business point of view his comments make perfect sense. If you were in his shoes you would do the exact same thing. It is all about money people... Carmack doesn't owe anyone anything.

- if PC gamers boycott (lol) ID games in the future they will still make exceptional money off selling their games on consoles.

- now turn the situation on it's head... they can not survive with only the PC market on their side if the consoles boycotted their products.

If you want to blame anything, how about the absurd pricess for gaming hardware? I mean does NVIDIA and AMD really need to come out with a new card every 4 months.

In my opinion, NVIDIA and AMD with their lack of patch support and price gouging is what has contribute large to the demise of PC gaming with a lot of old school PC gamers switching to console because they get tired of spending 2 days getting a game to run out of the box.

Morrinator
LOL, are u blaming the video cards for the bad optimization in Rage....?
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
He makes perfect sense, and I don't have any consoles if that what comes to your mind.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Damn...this trap got me, I actually read the stupidity of Carmack.

Instead of shutting his mouth and concentrate with his team on fixing the game he makes stupid and most of all pointless interviews, how exactly does this help anyone? they'll lose sales because of even more pirates, there's no way some wouldn't act like that after reading something as stupid as this, it'd make some possible buyers avoid this unprofessional developer (the last good game they made was Quake 3 - there are enough years since then for 3 developers to make stupid decisions like id and go under after an extremely successful game) and it'd frustrate people that already bought the game for no reason...I agree with Ikuto, Carmack or whoever put him there wasn't thinking.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Hmm, I can see why most devs left for console gaming, pc gamers are just perfectionist by heart and hard to please.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
from gaming icon to complete a**hole
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

For multiplatform games, we should all know by now that the consoles are the lead development platform, and the reason for that is to maximise profit. Nothing new here.

Ironically, as I type this, there is an advert for RAGE on the TV. LMAO.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

Hmm, I can see why most devs left for console gaming, pc gamers are just perfectionist by heart and hard to please.

Bikouchu35

thats a bad thing? and to the guy who said a dev cant survive off of pc games alone :lol: dont be an idiot of course they can, the pc has a bigger market share than all 3 consoles combined, id just got greedy and tried get as much money as they could by going multi, but then thats what all devs are doing these days

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

All I hear is 'Corporate greed....'

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games" Well excuse me, its not like this platform was what made you the big name developer you are today, dumbass. Get a grip Carmack, ripping excuses out of your backside won't fix the game.
Morrinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Morrinator
Member since 2006 • 661 Posts

[QUOTE="Morrinator"]

FelipeInside

LOL, are u blaming the video cards for the bad optimization in Rage....?

Read son... for God sakes read. I was giving my opinion on why consoles have seemed to grab the attention of developers over the PC community.

Read... think... then post. In that order.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Bikouchu35

Sorry, I forgot that when PC gamers buy a game, they expect it to actually work...

What perfectionists we are.

Avatar image for garrett_daniels
garrett_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 garrett_daniels
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts

Dear PC gamers,

Thanks for making all of our past games best-sellers, providing us with the money to get set up in the far more easily pleased console market. We don't need you any more so here's a botched port tested by the janitor. We're far too busy making DLC to patch this so we'll shift all the blame to the video card companies. It's clearly their fault that every game except ours runs perfectly on their drivers.

Your pal,

John Carmack

CHANCESUNDANCE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CHANCESUNDANCE
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

Bikouchu35

completely off-topic , but i think there are at least 4 trannies/she-males in your sig !!!

on-topic .

er ...

pc should have been the leading platform.

* damn , that sig is haunting me :( *

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I think he's a guy who doesn't like being wrong, so when something like this explodes in his face, he gets all defensive.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

All they could do before was hype it to death as the best game ever made and unlike anything else, and now that it launched and people are pissed they are all about excuses. They can't accept that they F***** up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I think he's a guy who doesn't like being wrong, so when something like this explodes in his face, he gets all defensive.

Wasdie

Precisely. I don't like him anyway. He seemed to have a sense of grandeur about himself when he talked about the game pre-launch

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

seanmcloughlin

Precisely. I don't like him anyway. He seemed to have a sense of grandeur about himself when he talked about the game pre-launch

Like when he said that developing it on all three platforms in parallel was a mistake and from now on all their games will by PC first and downgraded for consoles?

From the start, Rage was intended as id's entry in the console market. It's the first game they made in-house for a console and it was designed with them as the primary platforms. So he's actually consistent about that.

As for the driver issues - AMD screwed up, id has no fault in this.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
*sigh* Pc just lost a once-great developer...again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Baranga

Like when he said that developing it on all three platforms in parallel was a mistake and from now on all their games will by PC first and downgraded for consoles?

From the start, Rage was intended as id's entry in the console market. It's the first game they made in-house for a console and it was designed with them as the primary platforms. So he's actually consistent about that.

As for the driver issues - AMD screwed up, id has no fault in this.

id are a PC developer first and foremost. They should have given more attention and credit to the PC version. After all look how long it took them to actually release the game. When they hype visuals constantly tell us all about this cool megatexturing stuff and then show that crap they fail big time. Now they are getting very defensive about it because they are butt hurt about the backlash they got. As if nothing bad could ever be said about their precious RAGE

It was the same with Crytek after Crysis 2. They hyped it to death also and the PC version was awful and they got attacked for it. now id will suffer the same. unless they can fix it fast

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

*sigh* Pc just lost a once-great developer...again.kris9031998

Yeah...it's bad when even Carmack turns his back on PC.

Things like this make me worry even more about PC gaming.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
In my opinion multi-platform developers should just exit the PC market, it's hard to please the fickle PC gaming community nowadays due to the bandwagoners of 2007(aka the "ooh graphics" guys that seem to outnumber the real PC gamers saying "mouse+kb, community patches, mods, etc") that have no comprehension of what's even going on. Video game companies are just that, they are businesses which provide us with a product, namely, video games. Their goal will always be to get the most profit from consumers whether it be in the short term or long term. To think it's anything else in any case would just be foolish, of course most PC gamers(specially those who bandwagon the platform for graphics) suffer from this error in thought since the real PC gamers who can point to a game such as X-Com: UFO Defense are very small in number. It is thanks to your behavior(the 2007 graphics bandwagoners) that development for PC is like this, and as you show no signs of change, it is your fault, you are a plague to those of us who stick with the PC as a platform for far more valid reasons. Of course I'm not entirely serious about developers exiting the PC market, and you know what? I'm fine with games like STALKER series, DCS-A10C Warthog, Starcraft 2, Total War series, ARMA, Red Orchestra, etc., there are plenty of excellent PC exclusives, it's just some people are too spoiled.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
I iz sad id.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Wasdie

First his rockets, now his games.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

Currently running the game with a custom config that pushes everything to the max and look at these breathtaking screenshots I took:

2011-10-08_00006.jpg

RAGEbeautiful.jpg

2011-10-08_00006.jpg

2011-10-08_00002-1.jpg

ID Tech 5 is officially the most beautiful engine I have ever seen.... Okay but on a more serious note, my PC is more than capable to run the game with everything on full yet it still looks horrible, I also tried the game on a second PC thats even better than mine without the custom config and it still yielded the same, ugly results. Just an extra note, my PC has an ATi card in it while the second one has an Nvidia card.

jernas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 jernas
Member since 2005 • 1514 Posts

Rage should have been a PC exclusive. If done properly (no mouse acceleration, with high res textures, no driver issues etc.) I'm sure it would have sold more copies than the actual Rage we got will. Developers are too greedy to see this and usually end up with empty pockets. Then they complain about the piracy on the PC.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Why bother with a pc version at all if they intentionally made it inferior and flawed? It's not doing us any favors by selling us an unplayable piece of crap.

fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts

I don't know what people were expecting id hasn't made anything really good in like 10 years. There last good game was what Quake 3?!

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

to be fair amd screwed up the drivers, releasing the wrong ones etc... The game actually works great on pc and is fun.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

Why bother with a pc version at all if they intentionally made it inferior and flawed? It's not doing us any favors by selling us an unplayable piece of crap.

Qixote

its not, the pc version is still the best if only by a little bit. Dont let AMDs botched drivers fool you. To be fair, I dont think the game is a visual marvel on any platform, but damn does it ever play smoothly.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

[QUOTE="Qixote"]

TerrorRizzing

its not, the pc version is still the best if only by a little bit. Dont let AMDs botched drivers fool you. To be fair, I dont think the game is a visual marvel on any platform, but damn does it ever play smoothly.

Well then, with this much uncertain I should probably try the demo on my pc before committing any money to it. Oh wait, there is no demo. No sale.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Currently running the game with a custom config that pushes everything to the max and look at these breathtaking screenshots I took:

ID Tech 5 is officially the most beautiful engine I have ever seen.... Okay but on a more serious note, my PC is more than capable to run the game with everything on full yet it still looks horrible, I also tried the game on a second PC thats even better than mine without the custom config and it still yielded the same, ugly results. Just an extra note, my PC has an ATi card in it while the second one has an Nvidia card.koospetoors

This is fro my pc...gtx560ti, x4 955....and it does look amazing imo. Only issue is textures pop in when you turn but the game is very good imo.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

im sorry but thats not an amazing looking game, whatever else it might be (gameplay, story) it isnt one of the lookers

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

ID Tech 5 is officially the most beautiful engine I have ever seen.... Okay but on a more serious note, my PC is more than capable to run the game with everything on full yet it still looks horrible, I also tried the game on a second PC thats even better than mine without the custom config and it still yielded the same, ugly results. Just an extra note, my PC has an ATi card in it while the second one has an Nvidia card.

koospetoors

That's all textures, the engine isn't responsible for their low resolution. Some day we may get a texture pack, and it'll be one giant file... 50-100gb, or even more(but I'd doubt it). At very least, id said they wanted to release at least a level with the proper textures, however I think they need to just release a huge ass texture pack.

Also, for the sake of distribution, it can start to get hard after a certain size, I'd say.. 50gb is the absolute upper limit for a new release (remember, pc optical media is still stuck in the dvd era), wonder how many would cry if that were the size, considering bandwidth caps.

Most of the current version of the game's 21gb size is all just textures, While a game like Crysis was like 7gb, but useing tiled (repeated) textures, so it is much, much smaller.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I think people are misreading parts of the interview and the point being made.

Yeah the rage launch was a disaster on the PC. Carmack points to the AMD driver issue but that's obviously not the only problem. However the rest of his point is not an explanation or justification for those issues.

Rage was a game that was first and foremost developed as a proof of concept for ID Tech 5. As such, to be truly successful it had to achieve several things:

1) It HAD to do well on both consoles. If it failed to do that it would be dead and gone as a potential 3rd part engine other companies would want to license

2) It had to look good. It only partially meets that requirement. there' some really weird, incredibly low res textures seen through the game.

He is correct though, if you're developing technology with the aim of having it work well on all platforms you HAVE to worry about the smaller and weaker platforms first. ID (and by extension Carmack) failed in their launch of Rage and right now I'd guess that the future of ID Tech 5 is uncertain to say the least. But everything he says about platform cross development makes sense and are hardly cause for screaming betrayal.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Yeah the rage launch was a disaster on the PC. Carmack points to the AMD driver issue but that's obviously not the only problem. However the rest of his point is not an explanation or justification for those issues.

Rage was a game that was first and foremost developed as a proof of concept for ID Tech 5. As such, to be truly successful it had to achieve several things:

1) It HAD to do well on both consoles. If it failed to do that it would be dead and gone as a potential 3rd part engine other companies would want to license

2) It had to look good. It only partially meets that requirement. there' some really weird, incredibly low res textures seen through the game.

He is correct though, if you're developing technology with the aim of having it work well on all platforms you HAVE to worry about the smaller and weaker platforms first. ID (and by extension Carmack) failed in their launch of Rage and right now I'd guess that the future of ID Tech 5 is uncertain to say the least. But everything he says about platform cross development makes sense and are hardly cause for screaming betrayal.

Mazoch
@1. Carmack doesn't like licensing his engines, doesn't like supporting them after he makes them. That's why you have to publish with ZeniMax/Bethesda to even license, instead of it being open like UE3.xxx which you can license for free 100% and only once you make 50k off of it do you have to pay Epic a penny.
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

Reminds me of Warren Spector after Epic Mickey launched.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Inconsistancy

@1. Carmack doesn't like licensing his engines, doesn't like supporting them after he makes them. That's why you have to publish with ZeniMax/Bethesda to even license, instead of it being open like UE3.xxx which you can license for free 100% and only once you make 50k off of it do you have to pay Epic a penny.

What makes you say that ID / Carmack / Bethesda dosent like licensing out their engines? That's a HUGE part of what made ID what they are today. I'm not saying that you are incorrect, I've just never heard any hint of that before.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

icyseanfitz

thats a bad thing? and to the guy who said a dev cant survive off of pc games alone :lol: dont be an idiot of course they can, the pc has a bigger market share than all 3 consoles combined, id just got greedy and tried get as much money as they could by going multi, but then thats what all devs are doing these days

No where did I say is a bad thing. Though from a business standpoint they can careless when they can go multiplat and be praised as gods within the console community. Im just speaking my opinion and I think everyone is too fast to jump id when they made doom and wolfenstein 3d for godsakes, give them a month to get this right. I dont think anyone in their right mind would put their eggs in one basket and fail. Market share can mean anything but that does not mean they get a piece of it, for all we know farmville makes pc gaming too!, share does not mean sales.

You see pc mmos left and right tank and the devs disband or move, and in this case id spent a lot though not as much as an mmo I assume I think is far too risky for them just to release it on pc alone they got to make sure they make back to continue on as a business. Im sure theres some hardcore id fans that would buy this, but not enough without the safety net of going multi. I think the word "perfectionist" is wrong now, but I perhaps I was looking for "fickle", when the smokes and mirror settle we will see that id fixes it and be praised again or the opposite.

The purpose of the game is to showcase the engine on all consoles, so t.hey can licenses off to other devs/pubs like they did with doom 3 much like epic did when they used unreal 3 as a hollow showcase (gameplay suc*ed compare to pred) to show off the engine's capabilities.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I've always thought Carmack was a boob. Yea in certain areas he is brilliant, but overall he kind of has a few screws loose.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

GummiRaccoon

I dunno, some of that directly contradicts what he said at the keynote speech. For instance, their plan to use PC as the lead platform for future titles, because making consoles first was a huge mistake.

That's not nice.