PC Gaming Dying? How to HELP PC GAMING !!!

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Ok, so I am over all this threads about "PC Gaming is dying" etc etc..

I want to know how to help PC gaming.

I always buy my games, but I really want to know if I am DIRECTLY helping the creators/publishers or just the place where I buy them.

- I buy it at EB Games.... am I helping anyone directly? or does all the money go to EB Games?

- I buy it at JBHiFi... they aren't even a dedicated games shop. Where does my money go?

- I buy it second hand on ebay? am I just helping the ebay seller?

- I buy it new from ebay? where did it comes from?

It really worries me when I put down $80-$100 on a game not knowing if I'm doing anything for PC gaming...

Pls discuss...

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
PC Gaming is fine.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

- Don't give into stupid DRM (install limits)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
PC Gaming is fine.MadCat46
I know...it's not what this topic is about...
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

JangoWuzHere
How does that help?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Everyone just needs to STOP PIRATING. Unless it's made by EA, of course, but that's just a personal grudge of mine.kdawg88
Well yeah obviously.... What I am asking is that if my hard earned money that I choose to spend on gaming is going anywhere...
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

FelipeInside
How does that help?

I don't like install limits.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JangoWuzHere
Everyone just needs to STOP PIRATING. Unless it's made by EA, of course, but that's just a personal grudge of mine.kdawg88
Uhhh whats wrong with EA?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere
How does that help?

Okkkkkkkk.... so does everyone else....but what does that do with this topic?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] How does that help?

If you want to support the Publisher/Developer then don't buy games used. Buy from first party retailers, or even the own publisher store. Buying from DD sites is also a good way to show support when buying full price. I would avoid buying from gamestop or EB games as they mostly support the used game market..
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] How does that help?

If no-one bought games with stupid invasive DRM than there wouldn't be anymore DRM ZOMG
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12807 Posts

well actually unless they have the right concept idea of a cool game, hard time invest in the game, good creative developers, the right budget it won't work :)

the max you can do is buy games, stay away from piracy and sending letters to developers on ideas of cool new games and feedbacks on how to improve games you can't really do anything, unless you're some kind of tycoon who's willing to invest in a company or you'll someday will end as head manager of developer team ;)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"] I don't like install limits.

If no-one bought games with stupid invasive DRM than there wouldn't be anymore DRM ZOMG

Obviously...still nothing to do with this topic though...
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

The only way to give ALL the money to the devs would be if you walked over to their office and gave them the money and they give you a game...

Another way is to buy it from the dev website (they will get a huge part of the money in that case)

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Buy from the developer/publisher and don't buy used games, it's simple and of course they get money if you buy from EB Games, etc, they buy the games from the publisher and they sell them to you...as long as you don't buy the used games.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Personally i think ea is better than ubisoft. Pirating or simply not buying the game because of drm. Whatever, just dont let em think that their drm is actually doing anything. Make them realize its their games the problems not piracy. Anyway, on thread. Most developers release the pc version last for a reason. They dont think they make as much money out of it and they want to promote the console versions. It would help if they release the pc version first, but so it would be pirated first. Soooo, i think the best we can do is buy retail and not from steam. I dont think by steam deals the devs get that much of money.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust

They get at least as much money as they would retail...actually they get A LOT more in Europe, where games on Steam have outrageous prices compared to retail and PC games also sell a lot more than in NA.

And Steam deals are made by the devs/publishers, Valve has nothing to do with it, FYI a game that doesn't sell anymore or doesn't sell pretty good is not as profitable as selling it at a lower price while getting a substantial increase in sales even if it's just for a few days.

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
I fail to see what is so bad about EA right now. A few years ago I may have agreed, but now, EA are making all the right choices, publishing quality games like the Mass Effect series, Crysis series etc... They've also teamed up with those ex Infinity Ward employees. I was never really bothered about DRM personally, but I can see how others would be. Also TC, stop worrying, PC gaming is fine, I think it won't go away for a long time, and when it does, hopefully something better'll come along. Just continue to buy your games and have fun.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

As long as there's a company like BioWare, PC gaming will keep living.As for EA,I don't see what's wrong with them.Half of the games on the market are published by EA and they fund a lot of companies which makes a good game possible.The only game the ruined was C&C 4, but it was the last of the series anyway.Just buy your games instead of pirating.And if someone releases a good game,it's bound to make a profit even if it gets pirated.

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

As long as there's a company like BioWare, PC gaming will keep living.As for EA,I don't see what's wrong with them.Half of the games on the market are published by EA and they fund a lot of companies which makes a good game possible.The only game the ruined was C&C 4, but it was the last of the series anyway.Just buy your games instead of pirating.And if someone releases a good game,it's bound to make a profit even if it gets pirated.

coreybg

BioWare :D

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
Most Uninformed Post Ever You Sir, Deserve an Award.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts

Personally i think ea is better .

i think the best we can do is buy retail and not from steam. I dont think by steam deals the devs get that much of money.dakan45

1. No Ea Sucks (they buy IP then don't allow others to develop for Different Platform)

2. Steam Deals are decided by developer/publisher of that game

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DanielDust

EA is pretty much the best in the business at what they do, EA, Valve and Blizzard are the big 3 that support gaming as a whole.EA with ther money, publishing and funding studios or buying studios that have financial problems, studios that would be able to make great games, Valve with their very good games (not the case recently but still) especially Steam and Blizzard that makes things interesting for the PC. Other companies worth mentioning, THQ and Sony.

They don't allow developers to make games for certain platforms?....what makes you think that such a game would have been on "that" platform?

EA was bad in the past, now they're doing a lot better, so people need to stop making up facts, this is the real world not some magical world imagined by an individual where all games are made for absolutely any platform.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

If you buy PC Games from mainstream developers, you're supporting install limits and horrible DRM.

If you don't buy PC Games to make a stand against DRM and install limits developers will go "Too much piracy. Not enough sales. PC's a dead platform." Not that they don't do that already.

It's lose lose. PC Gaming is on a downward spiral and the fault lies with selfish developers/publishers and paying customers have done nothing wrong. But we're being treated like losers anyway.

For me, it's simple. When a developer gets their crap together and makes a decent game, I buy it. I've bought about two games in the past two years.

ic4ruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ic4ruz
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts

If you buy PC Games from mainstream developers, you're supporting install limits and horrible DRM.

If you don't buy PC Games to make a stand against DRM and install limits developers will go "Too much piracy. Not enough sales. PC's a dead platform." Not that they don't do that already.

It's lose lose. PC Gaming is on a downward spiral and the fault lies with selfish developers/publishers and paying customers have done nothing wrong. But we're being treated like losers anyway.

For me, it's simple. When a developer gets their crap together and makes a decent game, I buy it. I've bought about two games in the past two years.

1carus

So you have only played 2 games in the past 2 years ?

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="1carus"]

ic4ruz

So you have only played 2 games in the past 2 years ?

which is fine, but makes you wonder what brings him here?
Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

I always buy my games, but I really want to know if I am DIRECTLY helping the creators/publishers or just the place where I buy them.

- I buy it at EB Games.... am I helping anyone directly? or does all the money go to EB Games?

- I buy it at JBHiFi... they aren't even a dedicated games shop. Where does my money go?

It really worries me when I put down $80-$100 on a game not knowing if I'm doing anything for PC gaming...

Pls discuss...

FelipeInside

You can't really directly help the publisher or devs (not that publishers really need help mind you) outside donations or buying games.

If you buy it at any retailer whatsoever, you support the industry but also the retailer.

If you buy it second hand, you don't support the industry, only the guy that sold it.

If you buy it ''new'' on Ebay and it's not a hoax, like second hand copies wrapped and advertised as new ones, you support the devs. If you are worried about where your money goes, don't use this option.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

PC Gaming is dying! Let's all switch to the nobrainer solution, also known as consoles! Oh wait.. I forgot to mention that PC gaming isn't dying, at all. Buy your games at steam, if they start supporting linux aswell microsoft willl start loosing their irongrip and more dev's would use OpenGL instead of directX.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

[QUOTE="kdawg88"]Everyone just needs to STOP PIRATING. Unless it's made by EA, of course, but that's just a personal grudge of mine.JangoWuzHere
Uhhh whats wrong with EA?

liquidation of Westwood.

and Pandemic.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

coreybg

Red Alert 3 compared to Red Alert 2:?

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

I think the real issue is, console games are much more financially viable for media websites. Console fans seem to be pretty hardcore into reviews, previews and such. Thay also seem to care plenty about who is winning between sony and microsoft, also have you noticed the top console gets barely any coverage on gaming websites? Nintendos console is a great example of perception, if the numbers didnt prove otherwise people would swear that the console didnt sell nearly as much as it did, they would also swear nobody bought any games for it. Heck, iphone and ipad gaming is pretty big but most websites dont have any coverage for it at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

1. No Ea Sucks (they buy IP then don't allow others to develop for Different Platform)

2. Steam Deals are decided by developer/publisher of that game

badtaker
EA doesn't make many platform exclusive IPs. So I have no idea what you are talking about. They do the exact opposite of what you say, they buy up IPs then put them on absolutely everything. And even then, they have the simply superb EA Partners program that allows them to publish great games without interfering with the developer at all.

liquidation of Westwood.

and Pandemic.

HavocV3
Liquidation of Westwood was back when EA weren't a good company, liquidation of Pandemic is because Mercenaries 2 and The Saboteur were both two of the buggiest, least optimised games of the past 10 years on ALL systems. I personally enjoyed both of them, but it is pretty clear that Pandemic as a company lacked the ability to create games to the standard that is necessary to be competitive in the modern market. It's a shame, but that's just how it is. So don't hold a grudge against a company for liquidating a developer that hadn't done anything great since the first Mercenaries game.
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

PC gaming isn't dying what you are seeing happening is an "atmosphere" of fear being created by the media. Let's not forget the same sources that are currently proclaiming that "PC is dying" are the same sources that once proclaimed the PS3 would fail :roll: .

As for what you can do to help PC gaming well it is pretty simple. Just buy games as long as you buy games new it is pretty irrelevant where you get them from. If you really want to help then avoid the big game stores they are part of the reason for the PC's decline. If you have a local independant games shop near you then support them and show them that PC gaming is worth supporting. If you see a game released on the console first and you really want it then DON'T buy it on the console wait for the inevitable PC version.

You have to understand the PC gaming market is a very complexed beast and it is under attack in many ways. At the moment it seems "piracy" is the big main focus of people's attention and whilst it is a problem there are other factors which we can't do much about. People don't understand just how massive the PC market is Microsoft and Sony DO and they try everything to get people off their PC's and onto consoles where they can make even more money out of you. So don't support that behaviour especially from third party developers like Rockstar.

At the end of the day all we can do is buy and play games on the PC format if enough people do that then publishers will start to treat the PC with the respect it deserves again. However PC gaming will never die it is a hell of a lot more stable and profitable than the consoles (just google how much Sony and MS have lost on their "next gen machines").

rpgxaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 rpgxaddict
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
PC Gaming will still thrive. Bioware and Ubisoft are huge companies which supports PC gaming. Why would Microsoft stop making games for the PC, they would lose money if they stopped making xbox ports for the PC. I suck at shooters on the xbox 360, but great on the PC, so it'd upset me if PC gaming died...
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Legal, online purchases are the way to go, namely Steam. The internet should be viewed as good for the platform, and we should gradually be moving away from retail purchases. You have to say, 'the internet is here, and we want you (the developer/publisher) to give us the most convenient access to games.' Unfortunately, the dev/pub is not always involved in that 'convenient access.' It depends on how much you want to play the game. If you really want it, then you buy it. If you have doubts, wait until the price drops...staying away from P2P is basically the best thing you can do. EA is a corporation, and corporations are almost always designed to make a profit. EA pumps out games each year, and their titles are consistently average (not bad, average!) which leads me to believe the people who own the company have a single goal. It really has nothing to do with EA, just our economic system, and how that allows companies to affect music, film, video games and others in negative ways, towards profit and away from emotional expression.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
[QUOTE="kdawg88"]Everyone just needs to STOP PIRATING. Unless it's made by EA, of course, but that's just a personal grudge of mine.dakan45
Personally i think ea is better than ubisoft. Pirating or simply not buying the game because of drm. Whatever, just dont let em think that their drm is actually doing anything. Make them realize its their games the problems not piracy. Anyway, on thread. Most developers release the pc version last for a reason. They dont think they make as much money out of it and they want to promote the console versions. It would help if they release the pc version first, but so it would be pirated first. Soooo, i think the best we can do is buy retail and not from steam. I dont think by steam deals the devs get that much of money.

Really, cause I heard the opposite. Basically the most you can do is buy games new, and not second hand off of ebay or from Gamestop. Digital Distribution services like Steam, Direct 2 Drive, Impulse, and others will probably be one of the best venues for making sure the devs get the highest percentage of you money.
1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

So you have only played 2 games in the past 2 years ?ic4ruz

I've only played about two new games in the past two years, yes. I might be exaggerating there a bit. I've bought a few games on Steam and stuff from weekend deals but I haven't played them a whole lot.

which is fine, but makes you wonder what brings him here?TerrorRizzing

This is a forum for all PC Games, right? Not just games made in the past two years?

Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

Pls discuss...

FelipeInside

Your doing it wrong

If you want to help the gaming industry you have to stop buying **** games because guess what, they will just throw out an exact copy of the same old garbage

Mainly it's the console kiddies fault for supporting a failed industry because they have no point of reference

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
I dont really see anything wrong with it. Steam is PC gaming best friend have caused many publisher to jump on board by selling games via online. Microsoft appears to be taking notice and have decided to get back to the PC.
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kaelken

The console kiddies made it a billion dollar industry. Gaming used to be about pioneering creativity and pushing reality

Look at Hitman 1, a true pioneering classic. Well, 3 guy in a basement worked their ass off with a dream.

Already in Hitman part 2 you could tell the mass-produced idiocracy of money greedy companies ruining the game - who the hell decided to REMOVE DUAL WEAPONS?

I mean come on and I see stupid decisions like that every day and I almost can't believe it. But that's the true trademark of capitalism, you want as much money for the weakest possible product.

Or in other words, if junk sells you sell junk

Now in the old days there were a higher purpose, a sense of dignity and artistic freedom, but man are those days long gone -- guess I have to settle for having been there and seen it

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dakan45

As far as i can remember the only hitman taht did not have handballers was the first one.

Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kaelken

Heheh, wrong

/edit

In part 1 there were no illogical HUD that suddenly makes you fail your mission, you had to read your opponent's body language

In part 1, you could yield sawed off + dessert eagle, dual dessert e, dual sawed off, dual hardballers, dual silencers, silencers + hardballer etc etc etc

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dakan45
Well back then you couldnt tell a face from an ass with those graphics, plus the combat was a huge mess of unbalanced gameplay and the game was rated badly by everyone for that reason. As for the second, i think i did it once, but it was to tricky to figure out how it worked.
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kaelken

you never played hitman

/edit

that's not a question

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dakan45

you never played hitman

/edit

that's not a question

Kaelken
I have played all hitman games. I dont know what gave you that impression but i am not gonna start a stupid argument over it. Gameplay was a mess, 2 shots to the chest from the r700 sniper to kill someone and that guy on the miliary base mission in jungle took millions of bullets and your character kept on missing thanks to the terrible gameplay. Oh and whats up with respawning and the lack of save? The best hitman game was contracts.
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kaelken

As far as i can remember the only hitman taht did not have handballers was the first one.

dakan45

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dakan45

Yeah, in the first game you dont have those silver colt 45s with the longslides, you have some other 45s pistols. My point was that in the first game you dont pick it up as one weapon (dual weilded only). You need to have 2 pistols and combine them like you said. But they are not the hitman trademarked guns with the insignia on them, that existed in all games apart from the first one in which they were normal 45 pistols collected by enemies when in the last 3 games, they were available only as an akimbo weapon exclusively for hitman and only him.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
PC gaming retail sales are dead. PC gaming digital sales are blooming into the next world.