PC & Mac Game Requirements 4 - All 'Can My PC Run This Game?' Questions Here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

PC & Mac Game Requirements

PC & Mac Game Requirements Thread, #4

Since the old thread was accidentally purged... ;)

Unsure if your computer is powerful enough to run the latest game you desire? Ask (and answer) all such questions in here!

Be aware that all other threads asking similar questions within PC & Mac Games will be locked.

Useful Sites

System Requirements Lab: A simple to use website that utilises an internet plug-in to determine the hardware and software capabilities of your system, and measures it against your chosen game's minimum and recommended specifications. Normally is very reliable.

PC Game Requirements: Lists game specifications for almost all known PC games.

VG Requirements: Identical service to above site.

Determining your System Specs

Windows XP: In "Run", type "MSINFO32". The summary page of System Information will show you how much memory your computer has (Total Physical/Virtual Memory and Available Physical/Virtual Memory). It also displays detailed information about your computer's hardware.

In "Run", you can also type "dxdiag" to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. The "System" tab will display your computer Processor, Memory and DirectX version. The "Display" tab gives you information about your graphics card. You can also check that your graphics card is working correctly by testing the DirectDraw and Direct3D features.

Windows Vista/Windows 7: Exactly the same, except type the commands into the Windows search function on the Start Menu. Windows 7 can also rate your system abilities in accordance with the Windows Experience Index. Open "Performance Information and Tools" in the Control Panel.

Apple Mac OSX: Click the Apple logo in the upper left hand corner, and select "About This Mac". A window should open showing your OS version, processor and memory details. You must check to ensure games are Mac compatible.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

My friends has a single core processor and an HD 3650. Think he can run Dragon Age on low? If not, he'll get it for 360.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I'm wondering if I can run Left4Dead2 or not. I have a laptop with an ATI Radeon X1400, Windows XP, 1 GB of Ram, and intel Centrino Duo "T2500 @ 2Ghz (2CPUs)". SR-Test tells me that my CPU speed is not enough. When I test other games, it tells me my cpu speed is 2Ghz with a rating of 2.4Ghz. I was able to run the demo without too much trouble if thats important info.

FDs-Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 FDs-Nemesis
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

Great Thread. I was just gonna make one asking why there isnt one lol.

How well could my computer run games?

-Windows XP
-Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)
-1024mb RAM
-RADEON X1600 Series 512.0 MB (Im not sure whether its Dedicated or integrated)
-SoundMAX HD Audio

What needs upgrading or would buying a new computer be more practical?

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

My friends has a single core processor and an HD 3650. Think he can run Dragon Age on low? If not, he'll get it for 360.

pvtdonut54

not on your lifer!! dual core even then he wont be gaming at the same quality as a tri core min randged card setup would. his gpu ie his cpu is just utter trash though,

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aura_enchanted

I'm wondering if I can run Left4Dead2 or not. I have a laptop with an ATI Radeon X1400, Windows XP, 1 GB of Ram, and intel Centrino Duo "T2500 @ 2Ghz (2CPUs)". SR-Test tells me that my CPU speed is not enough. When I test other games, it tells me my cpu speed is 2Ghz with a rating of 2.4Ghz. I was able to run the demo without too much trouble if thats important info.

CommanderShiro

nope shooty chipset. meybe left 4 dead one or killingfloor if its any consolation.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aura_enchanted

Great Thread. I was just gonna make one asking why there isnt one lol.

How well could my computer run games?

-Windows XP
-Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)
-1024mb RAM
-RADEON X1600 Series 512.0 MB (Im not sure whether its Dedicated or integrated)
-SoundMAX HD Audio

What needs upgrading or would buying a new computer be more practical?

FDs-Nemesis

2 things very small and simple:

1) get more ram 2Gb is ideal but another 512mb would suffice if you want to save cash.

2) get a better gpu like something in the hd 3650 pr 4650 variety. odds are you wont need to swap psu's. and n the evnt you do it would only be another 25 -35 bucks tops. so yeah theres my recommendation to you.. atm you can play ummm. painkiller ressurection, mini ninjas, and code of honor 3.. thats about it.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

Can I run Resident Evil 5?

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aura_enchanted

Can I run Resident Evil 5?

Steameffekt

yes on like medium.

alexandru126

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alexandru126
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hey every1 first of all, since this is my first post. Been using this site for years, just never thought about the forums:P Ok my question is: I bought a Envy HP laptop with a i7 1.6GHZ processors , 6GB DDR3 RAM, a 4830 Radeon Graphics . I was wondering if I did a good choice? Do you think I am going to be able to play all demanding games on best resolution for at least a year or so with it? I bought this because I did not want a 10lbs laptop nor a 17" one...I was going for good gaming + 15" light laptop. Look all over the place for 2 weeks and this was the best choice I got. If you have other ideas pls post here. I can always cancel or send it back;)! Thank you!
JonChaoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12 JonChaoZ
Member since 2009 • 297 Posts

Hey every1 first of all, since this is my first post. Been using this site for years, just never thought about the forums:P Ok my question is: I bought a Envy HP laptop with a i7 1.6GHZ processors , 6GB DDR3 RAM, a 4830 Radeon Graphics . I was wondering if I did a good choice? Do you think I am going to be able to play all demanding games on best resolution for at least a year or so with it? I bought this because I did not want a 10lbs laptop nor a 17" one...I was going for good gaming + 15" light laptop. Look all over the place for 2 weeks and this was the best choice I got. If you have other ideas pls post here. I can always cancel or send it back;)! Thank you!alexandru126

That sounds like a good choice to me, as long as price isn't an issue. i7 processor, high tier radeon chipset, lots of RAM, and all in a 15" laptop.

FYI, if you find a game that asks for more than 1.6ghz of processing power, you shouldn't worry because they usually compare it to a single or dual core cpu on a desktop. Since you have a multicore and mobile cpu, I think you multiply the cpu by 2 or something. You should get 3-4 years out of that if you want to play the greatest games on max.

vegbjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vegbjt
Can I run Assassins Creed 2 with my Computer? AMD Athlon(tm) 7850 Dual-Core 2.81 GHz 3,00 GB RAM Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Graphichs card
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aura_enchanted

yes assuming you have 2GB ram you will be gaming in highest no aa or af

vegbjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vegbjt

yes assuming you have 2GB ram you will be gaming in highest no aa or af

aura_enchanted
What is `aa or af?
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aura_enchanted

anti aliasing and anti-sotopic filtering.

they reduce the amount of jaggies on nearby objects or terrain and increase the fluid motion of things like blood water etc. liquids and such. there both subte but in rare cases having low settings + full AA and AF can sometimes look BETTER than highest without them.

Booty998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Booty998
Member since 2005 • 701 Posts

I bought the THQ pack from stream and was wondering if my laptop would be able to play Red Faction Guerrilla. Here are the specs

• Blu-ray Disc™ playback
  • 4GB (2GBx2) DDR2-SDRAM-800
  • ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 graphics with 1GB dedicated video RAM
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz)
  • 16.4" VAIO extra-wide HD display (1920x1080)
  • Genuine Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium
  • 500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)

Also is there any other games in the pack I would not be able to run besides Saints Row 2? thanks

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aura_enchanted

I bought the THQ pack from stream and was wondering if my laptop would be able to play Red Faction Guerrilla. Here are the specs

• Blu-ray Disc™ playback
  • 4GB (2GBx2) DDR2-SDRAM-800
  • ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 graphics with 1GB dedicated video RAM
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz)
  • 16.4" VAIO extra-wide HD display (1920x1080)
  • Genuine Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium
  • 500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)

Also is there any other games in the pack I would not be able to run besides Saints Row 2? thanks

Booty998

on like medium.. its very poorly optimized and is full of phsyix based stuffs.

Ml2_Berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ml2_Berry
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts

Can my laptop run call of juraz 2 blood in bound, i know i wont run max or even high for that matter all i care is if its playable and it will be smooth enough to use the edior.

ati hd 3200

amd athlon x2 dual core 1.9ghz

4gb ram

vista 32bit

Ml2_Berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ml2_Berry
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts

Can my laptop run call of juraz 2 blood in bound, i know i wont run max or even high for that matter all i care is if its playable and it will be smooth enough to use the edior.

ati hd 3200

4gb ram

vista 32bit

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aura_enchanted

ati hd 3200

4gb ram

vista 32bit

Ml2_Berry

yes on like medium stably your cpu is a tad to slow for high or highest but otherwise your fine.

Zairon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zairon
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts

Quick bit of help needed guys. I have myself a new laptop but not really sure of its gaming ability.

Its THIS laptop.

AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-64 (2.1ghz, 1mb cache)

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

What do you reckon? In terms of playing new PC games, what could it handle? Lets say that Dragon Age: Origins game, could it handle that?

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Steameffekt

Quick bit of help needed guys. I have myself a new laptop but not really sure of its gaming ability.

Its THIS laptop.

4GB RAM

What do you reckon? In terms of playing new PC games, what could it handle? Lets say that Dragon Age: Origins game, could it handle that?

Zairon

Possibly on low, tbh.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aura_enchanted

[QUOTE="Zairon"]

Its THIS laptop.

4GB RAM

Steameffekt

Possibly on low, tbh.

yeah thats about right.

you bench on half life 2 on medium same goes for oblivion and rainbow six vegas.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Steameffekt

[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

[QUOTE="Zairon"]

Its THIS laptop.

4GB RAM

aura_enchanted

Possibly on low, tbh.

yeah thats about right.

you bench on half life 2 on medium same goes for oblivion and rainbow six vegas.

Plus it's shared GPU memory.

Wiipimp32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wiipimp32
Member since 2009 • 98 Posts

Will an HD5870 fit in my ANTEC300 unmodified and run Company of Heroes 1680x1050 all settings max except maybe the AA's and AF and v-sync?

and how well? (fps wize, im pretty sure it should run it amazingly well, cause it can run crysis at rought 55-60 fps average on a slightly oc'd coreclock) im just wondering because i really need to get rid of my ASUS ENGTX260 TOP. its an amazing card, but its slowing down..

T3AMKILL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 T3AMKILL
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts

how will i run these games: Pro Street, San Andreas, Gears of War

ATI Radeon X1250
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2GB RAM

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aura_enchanted

ATI Radeon X1250
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2GB RAM

T3AMKILL

yes to all

gear of war will play on medium or low, prostreet will play on high, and san andreas you can max out :P

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aura_enchanted

Will an HD5870 fit in my ANTEC300 unmodified and run Company of Heroes 1680x1050 all settings max except maybe the AA's and AF and v-sync?

and how well? (fps wize, im pretty sure it should run it amazingly well, cause it can run crysis at rought 55-60 fps average on a slightly oc'd coreclock) im just wondering because i really need to get rid of my ASUS ENGTX260 TOP. its an amazing card, but its slowing down..

Wiipimp32

eh it might. it would need to be very well placed though. be sure your hard drives are all out of the way for your gpu because it will probably stretch into their cavity by meybe 1/2"(one half inch if you cant read quick measurements). should be MORE than enough for that resolution :P

T3AMKILL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 T3AMKILL
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts

[QUOTE="T3AMKILL"]

ATI Radeon X1250
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2GB RAM

aura_enchanted

yes to all

gear of war will play on medium or low, prostreet will play on high, and san andreas you can max out :P

awesome :D
do you have any idea if i can run the enbseries for SA?

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aura_enchanted

[QUOTE="aura_enchanted"]

[QUOTE="T3AMKILL"]

ATI Radeon X1250
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2GB RAM

T3AMKILL

yes to all

awesome :D
do you have any idea if i can run the enbseries for SA?

i imagine your okay but really boy o id get out of that x1250 stat!

Nmiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nmiak
Can i run Call of duty 4 Modern warfare on lowest possible settings with no lag? AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor for Notebook PCs M300 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 dimm) 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive ATI Radeon HD 4200 w/ 128MB Display Cache Memory and 5-in-1 digital media reader Yes this is a laptop
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aura_enchanted

Can i run Call of duty 4 Modern warfare on lowest possible settings with no lag? AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor for Notebook PCs M300 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 dimm) 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive ATI Radeon HD 4200 w/ 128MB Display Cache Memory and 5-in-1 digital media reader Yes this is a laptopNmiak

oh yeah no issues.

xiph08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xiph08
Member since 2008 • 407 Posts
Think I will be able to run Battlefield bad company 2 when it comes out? Dell XPS M1730 Notebook OS- Windows 7 RAM- 4GB CPU- Intel Core2Duo T9500 @ 2.6GHz GPU- Nvidia Geforce 9800M GT X 2, Sli. (1gb video memory total) It can run all the latest games i have tried maxed. Borderlands, L4D2, Farcry 2, Dragon Age, and MW2.
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 aura_enchanted

Think I will be able to run Battlefield bad company 2 when it comes out? Dell XPS M1730 Notebook OS- Windows 7 RAM- 4GB CPU- Intel Core2Duo T9500 @ 2.6GHz GPU- Nvidia Geforce 9800M GT X 2, Sli. (1gb video memory total) It can run all the latest games i have tried maxed. Borderlands, L4D2, Farcry 2, Dragon Age, and MW2.xiph08

on like medium you need a better cpu and your chipset cant even compete with whats needed for mw2 to max it out

Un_Ordinateur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Un_Ordinateur
Member since 2009 • 296 Posts

What about KotOR on my netbook?

It's a:

Toshiba NB205 mini netbook, 10.1" screen

Windows 7 starter

1.66ghz

1 GB RAM

Intel Atom processor

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GMA950

I think I could probably get it going (Via steam obviously, since there is no Disc drive) on low with shadows and grass turned off, but I want to make sure. Oh, and on a side note, does anyone know if I could play movies using itunes (Bought from itunes) on it?

Un_Ordinateur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Un_Ordinateur
Member since 2009 • 296 Posts

Think I will be able to run Battlefield bad company 2 when it comes out? Dell XPS M1730 Notebook OS- Windows 7 RAM- 4GB CPU- Intel Core2Duo T9500 @ 2.6GHz GPU- Nvidia Geforce 9800M GT X 2, Sli. (1gb video memory total) It can run all the latest games i have tried maxed. Borderlands, L4D2, Farcry 2, Dragon Age, and MW2.xiph08

Almost identical to my rig (Except mine is a Macbook pro under bootcamp). Kudos for getting dragon age. It rocks.

xiph08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xiph08
Member since 2008 • 407 Posts

[QUOTE="xiph08"]Think I will be able to run Battlefield bad company 2 when it comes out? Dell XPS M1730 Notebook OS- Windows 7 RAM- 4GB CPU- Intel Core2Duo T9500 @ 2.6GHz GPU- Nvidia Geforce 9800M GT X 2, Sli. (1gb video memory total) It can run all the latest games i have tried maxed. Borderlands, L4D2, Farcry 2, Dragon Age, and MW2.aura_enchanted

on like medium you need a better cpu and your chipset cant even compete with whats needed for mw2 to max it out

But I do max out MW2, and it runs quite well. Did you mean bc2?
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aura_enchanted

[QUOTE="aura_enchanted"]

[QUOTE="xiph08"]Think I will be able to run Battlefield bad company 2 when it comes out? Dell XPS M1730 Notebook OS- Windows 7 RAM- 4GB CPU- Intel Core2Duo T9500 @ 2.6GHz GPU- Nvidia Geforce 9800M GT X 2, Sli. (1gb video memory total) It can run all the latest games i have tried maxed. Borderlands, L4D2, Farcry 2, Dragon Age, and MW2.xiph08

But I do max out MW2, and it runs quite well. Did you mean bc2?

my apologies yeah.

bfbc2

recommended system requirements: geforce gtx 260, core 2 quad or athlon II 64 x4, 2gb ram

your two gtx sli is about on par with a card sli of two 9800gt's which puts you a tad under the gtx 260 so meybe high but safest bet will be on medium.

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#43 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

Will i be able to run BFBC2.

Core i7 870 @2.93 Ghz

ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB

24inch ASUS monotor

Windows Vista Home Premium x64

4GB Corsair DDR3 Domintor RAM

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Can i make a suggestion about usefull sites?
Can you add Yougamers
I found it much more accurate than systemrequirements labs and seems like they test each game and besides the developers min and recc. settings they also give their own min and recc. specs based on their testing which are more accurate

Nmiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nmiak

[QUOTE="Nmiak"]Can i run Call of duty 4 Modern warfare on lowest possible settings with no lag? AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor for Notebook PCs M300 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 dimm) 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive ATI Radeon HD 4200 w/ 128MB Display Cache Memory and 5-in-1 digital media reader Yes this is a laptopaura_enchanted

oh yeah no issues.

What are the highest settings i can run this on without lag though?
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 aura_enchanted

[QUOTE="aura_enchanted"]

[QUOTE="Nmiak"]Can i run Call of duty 4 Modern warfare on lowest possible settings with no lag? AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor for Notebook PCs M300 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 dimm) 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive ATI Radeon HD 4200 w/ 128MB Display Cache Memory and 5-in-1 digital media reader Yes this is a laptopNmiak

oh yeah no issues.

What are the highest settings i can run this on without lag though?

most likely on lowest or low or a mix of the two via manually setting them.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#48 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
So I reallly want to get Dragon Age: Origins and it says on srtest that my PC can run it on minimum, I just want to make sure my PC can run it no problems... I say this beacuse I remember it told me I could run Empire Total War well but I still got terrible lag. I need an answer soon cause I'm leaving in an hour... My specs are... Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00 GHZ 3.25 gigs of ram Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT with 256MB Vram I'm on XP
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 aura_enchanted

your playing it on medium for sure you lack a quad core or the 8800gt to play it on anything higher.

AdianBMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 AdianBMG
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

Can i upgrade my laptop with GMA965 and X3100 graphics with a newer graphic card?
I will to play NBA 2K10!!! :-D

PLS ANSWER

BTW i have 2 GB ram and intel core duo T2410 2.0 Ghz and win 7 Ultimate 64-bit8)