Most overrated and underrated games in Gamespot

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

craziestpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 craziestpunk
Member since 2004 • 56 Posts

Ok.. befere we start I need say that gamespot is the "best" video games webpage ever made.. U GUYS ROCK!.. and this is the place where I find what I need about games... but nobody is perfect.... so this is my list of games where I dont share ur opinion.. and sorry for the spelling... im from Colombia (God bless my country :) )

Lets talk about..

Most underrated:

- FLAT OUT 2: Best graphic engine ever made in a racing game.. if u want speed, destruction, "AMAZING" graphics with no need of a next gen hardware... all u want is this game.

- TITAN QUEST: Wow.. this game rocks.. graphics are amazing.. its so much fun.. "7.6" what where u guys thinking??

- INDIGO PROPHECY: One of the greatest games I have ever played.. amazing...so innovative.. wow it deserves more than 9.

- COMPANY OF HEROES: One of the most impressive RTS ever made.. I saw how u guys gave it a 8.9 and days later u change it to 9.0... how can u guys explain that?...  u knew it deserve more than 8.9 even more than 9.

Most overrated:

- WORLD OF WARCRAFT: YEAH! Lets waste our time!!! we can live forever! lets walk forever!... the most stupid game ever made.

- FEAR: Ragdoll graphic engine? where!!??... dead enemies dissapearing?? this sux!... oh! wow look all the smoke and the explosions.. omG the best FPS ever!... Shut up.. they should see Far Cry.. thats what I call a real FPS.

- NFS *since underground*: they just sux.. how cant EA guys create a believable damage effect in the cars? ..they should ask Empire Interactive (FlatOut2) how to make a racing game.

- FIFA *All*: There is anyone who have played PES before playing this game right now? i dont think so.. it sux.. thats not a soccer a game.. its a monopoly

- GOTHIC III: Is this game playable? or is a beta version? ok anyways I wont play it.. "If you can get past its technical issues" HOW!!!????

- FABLE-TLC: I still regret for playing this game about an hour.. this is not a game for real Pc players.. its for console kids.. boring boring boring bori....

- NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 2: NWN 1 was really great... but this one is a mess.. graphics, camera issues and resource use are a really bad thing.. it looks horrible.. slow as it can be.. so bad for a good game.. and gameplay is so complicated that is boring and anoying.. I cant believe it.

Ok thats my opinion.. now its ur turn.. what games do u have in mind? and why?

FuRRieT87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FuRRieT87
Member since 2006 • 308 Posts
Flat Out2: Arcade to death, and gets rather boring after 10 Races, I wouldn't give it more then a 7.5 anyway... Titan Quest: It had potential, but did fail in many areas, I think Gamespots rating is correct. Company of Heroes: Well, it's true, simply a great game, maybe worth a 9.5 Fable-TLC: I really did like it, so I would put in well rated.
flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts

overrated-company of heroes

under rated- ummmm ill get back to u with that >.>

also i loved indigo prophecy as well, but on the xbox "fight" with that big guy where ur flying around on some roof was too buggy for me to complete.  i dun remember his name, its been a while since ive played it.

AreWeDeadYet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AreWeDeadYet
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

You're so right! gothic 3 sux so bad! how can anyone play that ****

About NFS..... EA doesnt change anything from "game" to "game"

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Overrated - Halo for the Xbox/Halo 2. Not sure about underrated.
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts

Overrated - Halo for the Xbox/Halo 2. Not sure about underrated.Doom_HellKnight

i dont know i have Halo for the PC and i never saw what is so great about it, I dont think that WOW is overrated it is a very good game and it's not like i play ever second of every day but when i got some time off i think it is a great game.

Falcon_75thR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Falcon_75thR
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
Overated - FIFA series, Rainbow Six: Lockdown (got an 8.0 when that game doesn't even merit a 5)

Underrated - Indigo Prophecy, Pro Evolution Soccer series (MUCH better than FIFA and only gets 1/4 the attention)
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

Ok.. befere we start I need say that gamespot is the "best" video games webpage ever made.. U GUYS ROCK!.. and this is the place where I find what I need about games... but nobody is perfect.... so this is my list of games where I dont share ur opinion.. and sorry for the spelling... im from Colombia (God bless my country :) )

Lets talk about..

Most underrated:

- FLAT OUT 2: Best graphic engine ever made in a racing game.. if u want speed, destruction, "AMAZING" graphics with no need of a next gen hardware... all u want is this game.

- TITAN QUEST: Wow.. this game rocks.. graphics are amazing.. its so much fun.. "7.6" what where u guys thinking??

- INDIGO PROPHECY: One of the greatest games I have ever played.. amazing...so innovative.. wow it deserves more than 9.

- COMPANY OF HEROES: One of the most impressive RTS ever made.. I saw how u guys gave it a 8.9 and days later u change it to 9.0... how can u guys explain that?...  u knew it deserve more than 8.9 even more than 9.

Most overrated:

- WORLD OF WARCRAFT: YEAH! Lets waste our time!!! we can live forever! lets walk forever!... the most stupid game ever made.

- FEAR: Ragdoll graphic engine? where!!??... dead enemies dissapearing?? this sux!... oh! wow look all the smoke and the explosions.. omG the best FPS ever!... Shut up.. they should see Far Cry.. thats what I call a real FPS.

- NFS *since underground*: they just sux.. how cant EA guys create a believable damage effect in the cars? ..they should ask Empire Interactive (FlatOut2) how to make a racing game.

- FIFA *All*: There is anyone who have played PES before playing this game right now? i dont think so.. it sux.. thats not a soccer a game.. its a monopoly

- GOTHIC III: Is this game playable? or is a beta version? ok anyways I wont play it.. "If you can get past its technical issues" HOW!!!????

- FABLE-TLC: I still regret for playing this game about an hour.. this is not a game for real Pc players.. its for console kids.. boring boring boring bori....

- NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 2: NWN 1 was really great... but this one is a mess.. graphics, camera issues and resource use are a really bad thing.. it looks horrible.. slow as it can be.. so bad for a good game.. and gameplay is so complicated that is boring and anoying.. I cant believe it.

craziestpunk

Wow, you got some really skewed opinions there...but hey, I cant criticize you for that.

-Most Underrated Game of All Time: Deus Ex

Whether you like it or not, the fact is that Deus Ex is one of the more innovative games to grace our PCs in the past 15 years.  It took RPG-FPS elements found in System Shock 2, improved them, then wrapped a great story and excellent dialogue around it and created an awesome game.  In my opinion, this game should have a 9.8, with the only hits going against graphics and sound (they were somewhat dated).

-Most Overrated Game of All Time: TES4: Oblivion

I got nothing against this game as I had a lot of fun, but I beat the game by level 8!  Level 8!?!?!  What the hell is up with that.  A storyline quest, especially to a so-called RPG, should last atleast 20 hours in my opinion.  I did enjoy this game, but the open-world system (gimmick is more like it) just didnt save it from the fact that the RPG elements were almost non-existent.  Its a good game, dont get me wrong, but I felt like it deserved a 7 or so.  First, the graphics are horribly unoptimised.  Second, the scaleable enemies and equipment absolutely made the game totally unchallenging (I cant help but think this was done for the sake of console gamers) and borderline boring.  Third, while there was a huge amount of dialogue, it seemed there were about 5 voice actors for the whole game, including Capt. Picard (this merits bad markings on audio, imo, as this was a totally obvious issue for me).

Theres my two games I feel deserve to be there.  If possible, lets hear some justification behind your guy's answers.

HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
Over rated : Gears of War and Halo(s)
Underrated: The Dig(oldie) and Resistance: FoM
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

IMO ...

Most Underated : Guild Wars.

Most Overated : World Of Warcraft.

OMGFINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 OMGFINE
Member since 2005 • 2434 Posts

craziestpunk

I think you should play a game for more then an hour... I hated the first hour or 2 I played but ended up loving the game...

jmanw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 jmanw
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts
I think Sed Miers Pirates was way overrated.  BORTING!
dykunas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dykunas
Member since 2004 • 430 Posts

Most Underrrated: Gothic 1, Gothic 2

Most Overrated: Oblivion and a whole bunch of bad games, that i can't include because it would take me ages :)

fahad2mail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 fahad2mail
Member since 2006 • 1471 Posts

Ok.. befere we start I need say that gamespot is the "best" video games webpage ever made.. U GUYS ROCK!.. and this is the place where I find what I need about games... but nobody is perfect.... so this is my list of games where I dont share ur opinion.. and sorry for the spelling... im from Colombia (God bless my country :) )

Lets talk about..

Most underrated:

- INDIGO PROPHECY: One of the greatest games I have ever played.. amazing...so innovative.. wow it deserves more than 9.

- COMPANY OF HEROES: One of the most impressive RTS ever made.. I saw how u guys gave it a 8.9 and days later u change it to 9.0... how can u guys explain that?... u knew it deserve more than 8.9 even more than 9.

Most overrated:

- FEAR: Ragdoll graphic engine? where!!??... dead enemies dissapearing?? this sux!... oh! wow look all the smoke and the explosions.. omG the best FPS ever!... Shut up.. they should see Far Cry.. thats what I call a real FPS.

- NFS *since underground*: they just sux.. how cant EA guys create a believable damage effect in the cars? ..they should ask Empire Interactive (FlatOut2) how to make a racing game.

- FIFA *All*: There is anyone who have played PES before playing this game right now? i dont think so.. it sux.. thats not a soccer a game.. its a monopoly

- FABLE-TLC: I still regret for playing this game about an hour.. this is not a game for real Pc players.. its for console kids.. boring boring boring bori....

- NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 2: NWN 1 was really great... but this one is a mess.. graphics, camera issues and resource use are a really bad thing.. it looks horrible.. slow as it can be.. so bad for a good game.. and gameplay is so complicated that is boring and anoying.. I cant believe it.

craziestpunk

I cant agree with u. NWN, Fable, Gothiq 3, NFS and FEAR is my all time fav game. But Company Of Heros must be 10 out of 10. I agree with this. Best RTS game ever made in this earth. Titan Quest and Flat Out 2 is not great, but they are good. And i think their rating is perfect. Long live Gamespot, long live all gamespotian.
fahad2mail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 fahad2mail
Member since 2006 • 1471 Posts
[QUOTE="craziestpunk"]

- FABLE-TLC: I still regret for playing this game about an hour.. this is not a game for real Pc players.. its for console kids.. boring boring boring bori....

OMGFINE

I think you should play a game for more then an hour... I hated the first hour or 2 I played but ended up loving the game...

Agree with u. Long live Gamespot, long live all gamespotian.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts
[QUOTE="craziestpunk"]

OMGFINE

I think you should play a game for more then an hour... I hated the first hour or 2 I played but ended up loving the game...

Yea, it gets really fun after the second hour...to bad the game ends after four hours, though :roll:

CKeur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CKeur
Member since 2005 • 1918 Posts

IMO ...

indzman

I sense a bias point of view here . .. looks like someone likes GW and hates that everyone else likes WoW :)
OMGFINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 OMGFINE
Member since 2005 • 2434 Posts
[QUOTE="OMGFINE"][QUOTE="craziestpunk"]

mrbojangles25

Yea, it gets really fun after the second hour...to bad the game ends after four hours, though :roll:

well realisticly, 12-16 hours first time through, but 4 hours is definatly possible.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

-Most Underrated Game of All Time: Deus Ex

Whether you like it or not, the fact is that Deus Ex is one of the more innovative games to grace our PCs in the past 15 years. It took RPG-FPS elements found in System Shock 2, improved them, then wrapped a great story and excellent dialogue around it and created an awesome game. In my opinion, this game should have a 9.8, with the only hits going against graphics and sound (they were somewhat dated).

-Most Overrated Game of All Time: TES4: Oblivion

I got nothing against this game as I had a lot of fun, but I beat the game by level 8! Level 8!?!?! What the hell is up with that. A storyline quest, especially to a so-called RPG, should last atleast 20 hours in my opinion. I did enjoy this game, but the open-world system (gimmick is more like it) just didnt save it from the fact that the RPG elements were almost non-existent. Its a good game, dont get me wrong, but I felt like it deserved a 7 or so. First, the graphics are horribly unoptimised. Second, the scaleable enemies and equipment absolutely made the game totally unchallenging (I cant help but think this was done for the sake of console gamers) and borderline boring. Third, while there was a huge amount of dialogue, it seemed there were about 5 voice actors for the whole game, including Capt. Picard (this merits bad markings on audio, imo, as this was a totally obvious issue for me).

Theres my two games I feel deserve to be there. If possible, lets hear some justification behind your guy's answers.

mrbojangles25

Agree completely. I don't quite get the low score for Deus Ex and also System Shock 2 only got a 8.6, Both games deserve so much more. This is also the reason that people shouldn't base their opinions on reviews and certainly stick to buying AAA titles only. If you have, you missed out on the two greatest pc titles ever created.

As for Oblivion, agree completely as well. I just don't get why people like that game so much. I too finished the game at a low level, did every quest in the hope to like the game more. The story is bad and there isn't any reward for your accomplishments.

I remember killing an entire cave of pretty strong zombies at level 10, i got to the inner chamber... I thought finally i'm going to get something really worth my effort. What did i get: A steel sword! Fudging hell Bethesda what were you thinking! I was hyped about this game for two years and i've been a fan since the first game. Why did you have to consolize the game. Just like what happend to Deus Ex: IW!

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts

Ok.. befere we start I need say that gamespot is the "best" video games webpage ever made.. U GUYS ROCK!.. and this is the place where I find what I need about games... but nobody is perfect.... so this is my list of games where I dont share ur opinion.. and sorry for the spelling... im from Colombia (God bless my country :) )

Lets talk about..

Most underrated:

- INDIGO PROPHECY: One of the greatest games I have ever played.. amazing...so innovative.. wow it deserves more than 9.

- COMPANY OF HEROES: One of the most impressive RTS ever made.. I saw how u guys gave it a 8.9 and days later u change it to 9.0... how can u guys explain that?... u knew it deserve more than 8.9 even more than 9.

Most overrated:

- FEAR: Ragdoll graphic engine? where!!??... dead enemies dissapearing?? this sux!... oh! wow look all the smoke and the explosions.. omG the best FPS ever!... Shut up.. they should see Far Cry.. thats what I call a real FPS.

- NFS *since underground*: they just sux.. how cant EA guys create a believable damage effect in the cars? ..they should ask Empire Interactive (FlatOut2) how to make a racing game.

- FIFA *All*: There is anyone who have played PES before playing this game right now? i dont think so.. it sux.. thats not a soccer a game.. its a monopoly

- NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 2: NWN 1 was really great... but this one is a mess.. graphics, camera issues and resource use are a really bad thing.. it looks horrible.. slow as it can be.. so bad for a good game.. and gameplay is so complicated that is boring and anoying.. I cant believe it.

craziestpunk

I couldn't agree more with your overrated list. WOW has to be the most overrated game of all time, though I will admit it's good, but not nearly as good as people say. FEAR I've never understood what people see in. Gothic 3 is just terrible, and Neverwinter Nights 2 is beyond a mess. It's like a herd of elephants walked into a tiny house and had an orgy. Sploog everywhere!

I can't agree with you on Titan Quest though. I think that game got what it deserved. It brings nothing new its style of gameplay, and for people like me who have played Diablo and Diablo 2 to death years ago, it gets boring after about 45 min.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Pedro_

craziestpunk

You hate MMO's, that's understandable. I personally dislike MMO's, but WoW is amazing by all means.

craziestpunk

Please give better reasoning for disliking FEAR. It has the greatest use of lighting and sound in any game.The AI is simply amazing, Far cry was an amazing game as well. I don't understand how you can dislike one so much and like the other the way you do. Unless: Fanboy!

craziestpunk

I wouldn't say *All*. There was a period Fifa was way better than PES.
nikej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nikej
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts
Overrated: Oblivion, Fear, Halo (would also put WoW but have never played it and my opinion would only be based on what my friends would talk about)

Underrated: Deus Ex

Also want to mention that NWN 2 is a superb game once you get patch 1.03
Xcelerate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xcelerate
Member since 2004 • 599 Posts

IMO ...

indzman

Agreed.
Jethr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jethr0
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Everyone in here who hates WoW is just sore because they don't have the dedication it takes to play it all the way through. Either that, or those who have played it have never gone to a roleplaying server and just chilled there, roleplaying out their characters.
FPSGunnerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 FPSGunnerDude
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts
Underated - Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Overated - Halo: What's around the corner? Oh, the same thing over and over Call of Duty 2: Hey, let's consolize and change a perfect series and not for the better Counter Stike: Imagine if it just came out today, people would probably rate it a 5.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _Pedro_
Counter Stike: Imagine if it just came out today, people would probably rate it a 5. FPSGunnerDude

yes, that's why it still has the highest amount of people playing online than any other shooter. Also it still has the biggest pro gamers community in the world. Why?

Gameplay>Graphics
CS 1.6 > CS:Source

People who say source is the same as 1.6, should really play both games quickly after another. They aren't!

FuRRieT87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FuRRieT87
Member since 2006 • 308 Posts
Underated - Dark Messiah of Might & Magic FPSGunnerDude
I'd say DMM&M was overrated not underrated, then again, it was hyped like mad and in the end it's not a great game.
thegreatspanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thegreatspanky
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts
I thought Half-Life 2 was pretty overrated, not that I didn't like that game (I don't like Steam, thats for damn sure), but the graphics weren't all that and the story was bland (I guess to make room for the episodic scheme). Physics engine great, HDR, :thumbs up:, but to give it the score Gamespot did might have been a bit too much (though, I like how Freedom Fighters beat it, that game was good, short, but good). I think HL2 was overrated, the single most deterrent to that game was its lack of story and the seeming moments of deja vu between that game and its predecessor, which I liked more. I think Steam though is the worst thing to hit gaming since the Virtual Boy, that alone hampers my lacking faith in Valve and I probably won't every purchase another game from that company anymore. I don't think Oblivion is, "one of the great RPGs," ether, at least, not in the since of Baldur's Gate, Torment Planescape, or even the beloved Fallout Series, but I do feel that this game warrants high praise. Its immersive, highly addictive, and one can spend hours on end within the world. The quests are astonishingly put together (and I'm not speaking only of the main, of which, to tell you the truth, I've not even remotely attempted :) ), and the graphics, more so on the PC, are quite good. The MOD Community makes this game even that much more better, giving you the ability to build the game and play it however you see fit to do so. I think my only beef with this game is that the maps are not numerous enough, the dungeons, caves, what have you, seem to follow set patterns and layouts, and, in a sense, I can bear that. I think the trick to enjoying this game is to play it as you would say Shenmue, which, beyond all things was one of my more favorite games. Its an RPG in THAT sense, not in the sense of tradition pen and paper stat attribute feat strength etc field; and for that, Oblivion excels in my opinion.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
In my opinion. Most overrated: Oblivion Halo (PC) Fear Doom3 All Splinter Cell games All NFS games except Porsche Unleashed Most EA sport games Underrated: Vampire TMB Jedi Academy Kotor 1 Fallout 1 and 2 GTA1 Hitman1
FPSGunnerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 FPSGunnerDude
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts
[QUOTE="FPSGunnerDude"] Counter Stike: Imagine if it just came out today, people would probably rate it a 5. _Pedro_

yes, that's why it still has the highest amount of people playing online than any other shooter. Also it still has the biggest pro gamers community in the world. Why?

Gameplay>Graphics
CS 1.6 > CS:Source

People who say source is the same as 1.6, should really play both games quickly after another. They aren't!

Actually I was talking about both counter strike games together. If either just came out, and didn't allready have a following, I don't think they would get good reviews. People would be like: "This gameplay is so dated, and how stupid, why would those guys be working together."
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
I'm a huge RPG fan, so I'll post my opinion on the most overrated and underrated rpg's to date.

Underrated: System Shock 2
Underrated: Divine Divinity
Overrated: Oblivion
Overrated: Diablo 2
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts
gothic 3 is the most UNDERrated game i have ever played, if your system is a pansy assed wuss sucker, then go do something about it
pantheonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pantheonz
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Overrated: Oblivion - braindead shooter with lots of kiddie handholding - treats the player like a moron. Fear - okay, but nothing special

Underrated: Gothic3 - a real RPG - still playing it - must be over 150 hours and I would guess I'm not yet half way!!!!

Baroncx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Baroncx
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts
sid meir's pirates! was huge letdown. and you think company of heros was underrated? please.
wafflehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 wafflehead
Member since 2005 • 836 Posts
Underrated: EverQuest (old ..I know but GS's ratings don't justify the game)

Overrated: WoW (pointless end game grinding)
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
gothic 3 is the most UNDERrated game i have ever played, if your system is a pansy assed wuss sucker, then go do something about itbachilders

Agreed. In terms of sheer gameplay, Gothic 3 is an amazing rpg.
johnnyb47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johnnyb47
Member since 2004 • 408 Posts
Overrated: The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

This link will take you to a sincere review of the game. And pretty funny, too. But long story short, Oblivion, while still a fun game to play, derived most of its fun from the setting, which was actually established in the previous TES games. The gameplay mechanics have been severely dumbed-down from Morrowind, not to speak of Daggerfall, the engine is pretty unoptimized, and the game seems to be built from the ground up to cater only to the mass audience that regularly plays Halo on X-Box, because the long-time fans of the series will end up buying it anyway.

Edit: This is the sincere review I was talking about. The former is merely funny, but actually does point out all the flaws in the game.

Underrated: Hitman: Codename 47

To think that Gamespot actually gave the first installment of the Hitman series a 5.2 (mediocre) mark seems mind-boggling now. Even more so when you take a look at the detailed marks, and see that the very same gameplay that was the trademark of the entire series and got consistently high scores starting with Hitman 2, got only 4 on the review for Codename 47. Moreover, at some point in the review, low replay value and linear missions are cited as a cause for the bad score – if you actually played the game, you'd know there are at least 2-3 ways to complete any mission without even blowing everyone to smithereens. Funny that, Hitman 2, 3 and 4 followed the same rules while adding this and that to what proved to be a good game mechanic, and because they were hyped more before game release, they were all rated "Great".
blueray_9th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blueray_9th
I would agree with WOW, Though it is a very good game(probly arround 9.0), i dont think it deserves "best PC game ever." :/
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

I agree about the first Hitman being uderrated, it was certainly more challenging and original than the second installment.  As for overrated I would have to say KOTOR, it was a fun game that drew me in and had great flow, but it lacks challenge and an indepth battle/levelling system. This is coupled with the fact that the sidequest were heavily copy and pasted from the other Bioware games and a story which only had two good parts; HK47 and the big twist, but otherwise is kind of lame and can't compare to others. I agree withe this users review http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarsknightsoftor/player_review.html?id=214451

Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
I think Sed Miers Pirates was way overrated. BORTING!jmanw

You serious. Pirates is amazing. Its not supposed to complex or anything, but it is really fun. I think it deserved the rating it got.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts
Overrated: WoW,  or  Diablo 2 (it's a toss up because both games bored me to tears)

Underrated: Arcanum
NewClass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NewClass
Member since 2006 • 898 Posts
Indigo Prophecy, overrated company of heroes
viagra_ftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 viagra_ftw
Member since 2005 • 1163 Posts
Most underrated: Titan Quest Most overrated: Oblivion
jbkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jbkilla
Member since 2005 • 1796 Posts

Overrated: Oblivion - braindead shooter with lots of kiddie handholding - treats the player like a moron. Fear - okay, but nothing special

Underrated: Gothic3 - a real RPG - still playing it - must be over 150 hours and I would guess I'm not yet half way!!!!

pantheonz

I smell a Gothic 3 Fanboy BTW
IMO Halo is the most overrated game EVER
and Vampire the masquerade is the most underrated game ever.
yukonhey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 yukonhey
Most overrated: Diner Dash. 9.1 for a stupid game with horrible graphics and no gameplay?  This one is unbelievable

Most Underrated: Indigo Prophecy (8.4 is lower than it deserves, for sure. hey! This intense, immersive and inovative game has a lower score than Diner Dash? Aaaaaaah!).

I disagree about Sid Meyer's Pirates. That game is fun and well done.
Smudge_Smill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Smudge_Smill
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts

Underrated

Rogue Trooper - This game was a very nice 3rd-person-shooter, and I thoroughly enjoyed it the whole way through...multiplayer's a bit sad though...very limited

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade - From memory, it got an 8.8, but in my opinion, it's THE best RTS game...should get a rating higher than Company of Heroes....I would sugest about 9.6-9.7

Overrated

Halo 1 & 2 (for xbox) - What's all the hype about?

World of Warcraft - What's all the hype about? it's damn expensive for a pastime

Company of Heroes - Good graphics, boring gameplay

Oblivion

Smudge_Smill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Smudge_Smill
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts

Sorry, let me clarify...Dawn of War is the best RTS game made in the last 8 years, a very close runner up to Starcraft (made in 1998, if my memory serves).

After some deliberation, I've come up with some more opinions on under- and overrated games.

Underrated
Crashday - Such an incredibly fun car game...I'm just wishing and hoping for a sequel!
Trackmania: Sunrise Extreme - Also a brilliant car game...still only half way through it.
Impossible Creatures - A truly unique and brilliant idea, which was represented well.  Unfortunate that there isn't more support.

Overrated
Diablo games (clickfest alert!)
Black and White 1 and 2 - far too mundane and repetitive
Any game made by EA (and especially the more recent Battlefield games (BF2, BF2142))

beckoflight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#48 beckoflight
Member since 2006 • 848 Posts
Dark Messiah is the most underrated i think , folowed by Rogue Trooper & then by Titan Quest & the most overrated games are WoW & Oblivion  !
purcusionist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 purcusionist
Member since 2005 • 82 Posts
I have to agree that "World of Warcraft" is BY FAR the MOST OVERATED! And just to make an equal comparison in the genre. I would have to say that Everquest2 is UNDERATED! EQ2 beats out WoW in every catagory (graphics, sound, gameplay, content) Yet for some strange reason WoW has more subscribers?
Spindry69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Spindry69
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts

Most overrated- F.E.A.R ( boring crud, yes I am a jaded gamer but even so...)

Most underated- Big rigs: over the road racing ( i'm not saying it doesn't deserve it, best review ever?)