Most overrated and underrated games in Gamespot

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Smudge_Smill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 Smudge_Smill
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts
After acquiring Gun Metal less than a week ago, I've spent a LOT of time playing it, and I just didn't want to stop, it was so damn fun!

Gun Metal is definitely an underappreciated and underrated PC game!
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts
Hey guys, pst, lets show how super edgy and hardcore gamers we are by dissing a bunch of popular games. Oh man, what and awesome idea, yeah! But we can do better than that, lets also point out what games are our favorites and say anyone who disagrees is wrong and an idiot. What an awesome idea for a topic.

I hate topics like this, they innevitably dissolve into a bunch of people telling each other whats right and wrong, half the time without even having had played the games they're insulting or having played the game with a skewed perspective because they just 'know' they gotta hate that game. Because it's just sooooo edgy and cool to hate.

Everyone loves to bash the big guys. It's like mob rule, only on the internet.
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
Does anyone remember the Most Wanted 07 feature a little while ago? They had Halo 3 (suprise suprise) and Crackdown *cough*halo3beta*cough*, but Supcom and Crysis were nowhere to be found!
ben2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ben2000
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts

Underrated:  EVE online....  Gamespot gave this a 6.6 when it first came out.   The Gamespot community rating for it is 8.4 though.   And the rating for the Revelations expansion is 9.2, but unfortunately Gamespot won't do a review of it because all expansions to EVE are free.   Go figure.

JimmyLuong25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 JimmyLuong25
Member since 2006 • 129 Posts
Don't know you guy but some of the point that GS give to an game it not only for it gameplay,graphic and ecct but it for the popolarity of the series and the devp.But i think game like NFS:Carbon,CoH,Oblivion,WoW,GW,FEAR,ect.. are just fine,the deserve every bit of the point no more no less.Anyway game that have a lot of potential like Gothic 3 ,Dark messia,Vampire blood line are a little underrate.
While i agree that gothic had an uber number of bug and error but i think nobody can deny the uber gameplay of the gothic series in general and Gothic 3 in particular.It is much more than normal hack and slash mindless game,you can feel that the world really live.I wish when the devloper have fix all the bug GS will give it another review at least it deserve an 9,4 if there none bug.I'm great fan of gothic series also
DM it deserve at least an 8,5 GS say that the game can be interesting an start but eventually ppl will find it repetive.That is not true i have found that every moment in the game are dam unique.......well apart kicking monster ass(that it wat i love of the game
zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 zsc4
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
COH is fairly rated i would have to say, and of course NFS is over rated.
muffinman392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 muffinman392
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Most Underrrated: Gothic 1, Gothic 2

Most Overrated: Oblivion and a whole bunch of bad games, that i can't include because it would take me ages :)

dykunas
*sniffle sniffle* but I liked Oblivion.. *sniflle again*
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts

- TITAN QUEST: Wow.. this game rocks.. graphics are amazing.. its so much fun.. "7.6" what where u guys thinking??

Gameplay is so outdated, and the graphics are too, seriously, compare it with Medieval 2 Total war which has a hundred times as many enemies on screen and still looks as good

- FEAR: Ragdoll graphic engine? where!!??... dead enemies dissapearing?? this sux!... oh! wow look all the smoke and the explosions.. omG the best FPS ever!... Shut up.. they should see Far Cry.. thats what I call a real FPS.

Eh, yeah, enemies dissapear if you dont'have body detail on high, idiot.

It has amazing AI, which makes for superb gameplay, it has amazing graphics, solid sound acting, it has everything.

- GOTHIC III: Is this game playable? or is a beta version? ok anyways I wont play it.. "If you can get past its technical issues" HOW!!!????

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people who don't like it are console pets who expect to be told what to do, at every step, it's not Oblivion, it's a living world. You can transform into a meatbug and go past guards if you want, YOU DECIDE. It has absolutely gorgeous environments.
And most people hardly get ANY bugs, I get like one ever 2 hours, and then a quicksave and load solves it.
craziestpunk
SunnySimantov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59 SunnySimantov
Member since 2005 • 784 Posts

Most overrated: Diner Dash. 9.1 for a stupid game with horrible graphics and no gameplay?  This one is unbelievable

yukonhey

Oh My God! Why hasn't anyone else noticed it yet?! Why?

Yes indeed, the review was ridiculous. Sure you can say it is cheap thus high value, but it has nearly 0 gameplay and 90s graphics.... Please shout it louder!

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

OVERRATED = Halo (PC version, lazy level design bored me to tears and I had to stop playing it halfway through)

UNDERRATED = Guild Wars: Nightfall (8.2? are you kidding? AAA game easily)

Oh, and Diablo 2 is underrated, I think the game deserves a 9.0 on the money.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts
Hey guys, pst, lets show how super edgy and hardcore gamers we are by dissing a bunch of popular games. Oh man, what and awesome idea, yeah! But we can do better than that, lets also point out what games are our favorites and say anyone who disagrees is wrong and an idiot. What an awesome idea for a topic.

I hate topics like this, they innevitably dissolve into a bunch of people telling each other whats right and wrong, half the time without even having had played the games they're insulting or having played the game with a skewed perspective because they just 'know' they gotta hate that game. Because it's just sooooo edgy and cool to hate.

Everyone loves to bash the big guys. It's like mob rule, only on the internet.
the_mad_madman

Or maybe people just don't like the games that they're saying they don't like.  No, that can't be possible! I mean, they're the popular games so they have to be good. Right? They're the "big boys"!

And, if you hate these topics so much, why click on the link in the first place? Was it to be "edgy" and "cool"?

Nah, I didn't think so.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Underrated: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Honestly, I think Jeff only rated it bad because it didn't come with a Big Mac.

Overrated: Gears of War

Because no one's ever hidden behind a rock in a game before!

Wezker619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Wezker619
Member since 2006 • 1427 Posts
Why would you say WoW is overrated there is 8 million people login in that game. Maybe its just a good game. From a person who enjoys flatout 2 and titan quest you have no authority to ever to say WoW is a overrated game. CoH is okay and the score is good enough. You only play as Germans and Americans what about the Japanese and British.
Avatar image for marshiemallowma
marshiemallowma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 marshiemallowma
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Overrated- Halo 2

Underrated- LoZ: MM

Skamiplan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Skamiplan
Member since 2004 • 470 Posts

Ok.. befere we start I need say that gamespot is the "best" video games webpage ever made.. U GUYS ROCK!.. and this is the place where I find what I need about games... but nobody is perfect.... so this is my list of games where I dont share ur opinion.. and sorry for the spelling... im from Colombia (God bless my country :) )

Lets talk about..

Most underrated:

- FLAT OUT 2: Best graphic engine ever made in a racing game.. if u want speed, destruction, "AMAZING" graphics with no need of a next gen hardware... all u want is this game.

- TITAN QUEST: Wow.. this game rocks.. graphics are amazing.. its so much fun.. "7.6" what where u guys thinking??

- INDIGO PROPHECY: One of the greatest games I have ever played.. amazing...so innovative.. wow it deserves more than 9.

- COMPANY OF HEROES: One of the most impressive RTS ever made.. I saw how u guys gave it a 8.9 and days later u change it to 9.0... how can u guys explain that?... u knew it deserve more than 8.9 even more than 9.

Most overrated:

- WORLD OF WARCRAFT: YEAH! Lets waste our time!!! we can live forever! lets walk forever!... the most stupid game ever made.

- FEAR: Ragdoll graphic engine? where!!??... dead enemies dissapearing?? this sux!... oh! wow look all the smoke and the explosions.. omG the best FPS ever!... Shut up.. they should see Far Cry.. thats what I call a real FPS.

- NFS *since underground*: they just sux.. how cant EA guys create a believable damage effect in the cars? ..they should ask Empire Interactive (FlatOut2) how to make a racing game.

- FIFA *All*: There is anyone who have played PES before playing this game right now? i dont think so.. it sux.. thats not a soccer a game.. its a monopoly

- GOTHIC III: Is this game playable? or is a beta version? ok anyways I wont play it.. "If you can get past its technical issues" HOW!!!????

- FABLE-TLC: I still regret for playing this game about an hour.. this is not a game for real Pc players.. its for console kids.. boring boring boring bori....

- NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 2: NWN 1 was really great... but this one is a mess.. graphics, camera issues and resource use are a really bad thing.. it looks horrible.. slow as it can be.. so bad for a good game.. and gameplay is so complicated that is boring and anoying.. I cant believe it.

Ok thats my opinion.. now its ur turn.. what games do u have in mind? and why?

craziestpunk

FEAR Dissapearing corpes wtf?? your comp must suck FABLE-TLC just a simple ownage game for a few hours its cool
stavredzikov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 stavredzikov
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts
Overrated=GTA San Andreas,Sims,Halo,GTR,Ultimate Alliance
Underrated=Dark Mesiah,Sacred,Quake4,Prey,NFS Carbon,Tomb Raider:Legend
Shotgunmxhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67 Shotgunmxhu
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts

I have to agree.  WoW is pretty overrated.  It's fun, but I can't see why it has such a cult following...

Avatar image for no_one_specific
no_one_specific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 no_one_specific
Member since 2003 • 2612 Posts
I honestly don't care about overrated stuff. I used to think the Halo games were overrated. But it's genuine fun with a group of friends. Underrated- Hitman: Codename 47 Now I think the game deserved better than a 5-point-something. Now I own Bloodmoney and Silent Assassin, and while those games are better, Codename 47 is still really good. Sure, the controls are strange (w to run forward, and S,Z,X, and C to walk) and there's no save system, but the missions are creative, and the game is fun, despite being a little frustrating.
sozar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 sozar
Member since 2003 • 428 Posts

overrated:

Oblivion.....nice game but 9.6 for what ?

World of Warcraft........9.5 the game is is great but we need 4 pages to write the bad things about it.

FIFA games

unreated:

Metal Gear Solid one 8.5 hellooo gamespot :S

Gothic 2  8.1 one of the best rpgs.

greatestali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 greatestali
Member since 2005 • 665 Posts
FIFA is kinda overrated

BUT shadow of the colossus is really underrated 8.7?????????????????????????????? I mean WTF was gamespot thinking man?
mxpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mxpower
Member since 2003 • 198 Posts
Overrated:
Oblivion: It had me for a while then I started to get bored with it.
Diablo: What can I say I just didn't like it.
Brothers in arms: I hated this game. I thought COD was way better. The squad controls sucked and the graphics weren't that impressive either. I think what turned me off this game was when I shot a german in the head 3 times before he died.

Not really underrated but forgotten.

Operation Flashpoint. I loved everything about this game. Well the graphics weren't that great but I guess you can't have everything.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
I got nothing against this game as I had a lot of fun, but I beat the game by level 8! Level 8!?!?! What the hell is up with that. A storyline quest, especially to a so-called RPG, should last atleast 20 hours in my opinion. I did enjoy this game, but the open-world system (gimmick is more like it) just didnt save it from the fact that the RPG elements were almost non-existent. Its a good game, dont get me wrong, but I felt like it deserved a 7 or so. First, the graphics are horribly unoptimised. Second, the scaleable enemies and equipment absolutely made the game totally unchallenging (I cant help but think this was done for the sake of console gamers) and borderline boring. Third, while there was a huge amount of dialogue, it seemed there were about 5 voice actors for the whole game, including Capt. Picard (this merits bad markings on audio, imo, as this was a totally obvious issue for me).mrbojangles25
I'm still level 13 and haven't beaten the game... and it's plenty hard for me. And the graphics seem optimized fairly well... I can run it looking like a 360 with a $150 graphics card (7900GS) and P4 2.8ghz. Although I do agree about the voice actors... the repetitiveness can get REALLY annoying.
zayl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 zayl99
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts
Overrated: Guild Wars - got bored at level 3 Half Life 2 - Sure it's a great game but everyone makes it out to be more than it is.
lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
Everyone in here who hates WoW is just sore because they don't have the dedication it takes to play it all the way through. Either that, or those who have played it have never gone to a roleplaying server and just chilled there, roleplaying out their characters.Jethr0

Don't assume we're all idiots because we don't like the game you like. WoW sucks when you get in to the higher levels, because all you do is sit in Ironforge spamming "LFG PST" all day and then go grind for a few hours. And when you hit 60, there's absolutely nothing to do other than raiding the same instances over and over and over again. That, and the game's community is horrible. It's full of racists, homophobes, stupid little kids, people who think they're God because they have Tier 3, and jerkoffs.
surfer_1844

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 surfer_1844
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Overrated: GEARS OF WAR!!!

Am i the only person alive who played Kill.Switch for PS2? gears is the exact same game with better graphics being a given and a slightly different storyline. And you can beat it in like 9 hours first time through easy. It's a one gimmick game where all you have to do is stay in cover until you have a perfect shot.

Underrated: Diablo 2

Ok...so it got a pretty high score..8.6 or something...but it deserved like a 9.6....only marks off for graphics and sound, this game is way more addicting then WOW, i tried the free trial of WOW and fell asleep. I still play Diablo 2 and think it is the best RPG ever made besides Fallout.

oh...and Halo sucks...i bought and Xbox to play it and now im stuck with a heavy ass paperweight.

jimbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#76 jimbow4
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

Underrated:

Dark Messiah of Might And Magic, the game is sheer fun.

Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators, a nearly perfect combination of various genres.

Overrated:

Call of Duty 2, it was pretty boring.

laineter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 laineter
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts
For me WOW and counterstrike is the most overrated game in gamespot and the underrated is doom and call of duty.
SacKings384

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SacKings384
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
Underrated: Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LOD... Both were some of the highest played most well kept online games of all time. The fact that they would get hacked and then very soon would be fixed was amazing. The servers were relatively fast and lets face it the game was one of the greatest most playable games of all time. It didn't matter how many times you beat the game because that was just a small piece of the Diablo pie...

It's obviously not played so much now because the graphics are outdated and Blizzard and Battle.net have all but forgotten about it... It's now destroyed by massive dupes and hacks that make it unplayable. But it had its run for a long  long long time...
georgetkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 georgetkat
Member since 2004 • 124 Posts
I don't know about overrated, but underrated would be pretty much ANY adventure game. Gamespot hates some genres automatically, and gives them low scores without any kind of regard to the fact that they're not reviewing a genre, but an individual game within that genre.
akeanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 akeanon
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts
Over rated : Gears of War and Halo(s)
Underrated: The Dig(oldie) and Resistance: FoM
HostileEffect

Hostile...I love you.  It would be hard to agree with your assessment more.  I just finished playing The Dig last month and what memories!