If KOTOR 3 is an MMORPG, would you buy it?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Panther501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Panther501
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
After the disaster with Galaxies, I think I'd stray away from this. Besides, I think KOTOR is best as singleplayer game.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Well it also depends on what Kotor 3 really offers for an overall mmo experience. The potential for any Star wars game is extraordinary in terms of scale and depth. I will like to know about the project before I buy bud for an answer to your question.
adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts

After the disaster with Galaxies, I think I'd stray away from this. Besides, I think KOTOR is best as singleplayer game.Panther501

I don't think there is any if. They are making a kotor mmo

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
As of right now, I don't know enough about this game, other than the fact that it's a MMO. If it's as good as the first two games, then sure I'll buy it.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

I loved kotor 1 and 2, but im not gonna buy kotor 3 if its MMORPG like it looks it will be.

Those games dosnt really have an end, meaning you cant get a complete and rich single player experience, not to mention, not gonna pay for a game every month.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
Hopefully they can keep giving us updates, expansions and other things to keep us busy.
Xxgood-timesXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xxgood-timesXx
Member since 2008 • 726 Posts
if its got a good story than maybe.
wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts
Hell no.I want my KOTORs to be a fantastic SP-only experience not MMO crap.I don't want the story build-up so far in KOTOR 1 and 2 to be ruined by an MMO.Too bad SP-only games don't bring "zeh moneyz" these days so it's not gonna happen.Plus all my trust with Bioware has gone down the chute with ME.Maybe it will improve with Dragon Age but I doubt it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts
I'll only buy KOTOR 3 if it's a SP-only RPG made by Obsidian.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
Well, I don't play MMOs (mostly 'cos of the monthly fee), but I'd prefer a KOTOR MMO by BioWare rather than a KOTOR 3 with a lame unfinished story by Bugsidian
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darth_Kane

I'll only buy KOTOR 3 if it's a SP-only RPG made by Obsidian._Memento_

After the crap KOTOR 2 was? Are you kidding ? Obsidian will NEVER be as good as Black Isle

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

[QUOTE="Panther501"]After the disaster with Galaxies, I think I'd stray away from this. Besides, I think KOTOR is best as singleplayer game.adrake4183

I don't think there is any if. They are making a kotor mmo

yes but it is not kotor 3, its a seperate kotor game mmo/rpg,
zhivago_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 zhivago_x
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
NO. I want Obsidian on the story. I want Revan and i want Exile. And i want a story driven Star Wars single player game PERIOD
zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
This isn't KOTOR 3 people this is a MMO set in the KOTOR timeline.
mudflaps2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mudflaps2001
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts
MMO during KOTOR time period != KOTOR 3. The Star Wars universe is huge, I'm sure the MMO "story" (since when did MMOs have anything resembling a story, anyway?) could easily have nothing to do with the single player games.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

MMO during KOTOR time period != KOTOR 3. The Star Wars universe is huge, I'm sure the MMO "story" (since when did MMOs have anything resembling a story, anyway?) could easily have nothing to do with the single player games.mudflaps2001

The only thing it will share is the universe that is it.. KOTOR was about the story, gameplay mechanics, characters, and roleplaying experience/intereaction. Something that is completely absent or alien in a MMO.. MMO's have yet to tell a engaging story in a way that has the presentation of a singleplayer rpg.. This isn't to say it will be bad, it just won't be KOTOR 3..

Its as good as calling World of Warcraft a sequel to Warcraft 3.

sp1r1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sp1r1t
Member since 2004 • 153 Posts
I'm not interested in KOTOR MMO, however I'm very interested in KOTOR 3 single player game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c20477a5e387

[QUOTE="_Memento_"]I'll only buy KOTOR 3 if it's a SP-only RPG made by Obsidian.Darth_Kane

After the crap KOTOR 2 was? Are you kidding ? Obsidian will NEVER be as good as Black Isle

They're still better than Bioware.

And KOTOR 2 > KOTOR 1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

[QUOTE="_Memento_"]I'll only buy KOTOR 3 if it's a SP-only RPG made by Obsidian._Memento_

They're still better than Bioware.

And KOTOR 2 > KOTOR 1

The majority disagree with you on numerous points..

KOTOR 2 character system was broken in the end where you became overpowered to the point that no matter how high the difficulty was you steamrolled everything, specially as the jedi weapon master..

The last 30 mins of the game is broken and really doesn't make any sense with the subplot that odviously rushed on.. It gets even worse with one of the WORSE endings I have ever seen.. It would be like Empires Strikes back where Vader says to Luke he is his father.. Then you see the ship fly awya fromt eh planet.. It was just about that..

The characters were NOT better then the first in personality.. Infact the only one that was actually interesting was the character that came from the ORIGINAL, HK47.

The game had NUMEROUS bugs, some people havn't been able to even play it yet.. Infact they are waiting for a user made mod to fix the game..

The game was odviously rushed.. And the vast minoriuty of people would agree with you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c20477a5e387

The characters in KOTOR 1 were almost all generic, rehashed characters seen in other Bioware games. Jolee Bindo and Hk47 were the only semi-interesting characters in KOTOR. On the other hand, KOTOR II has one of the best characters in video game and by far the best Star Wars character: Kreia.

Also, KOTOR 1 had a generic "save the galaxy from the big bad foozle who wants to take over it just cause" story, whereas KOTOR 2 had a much more interesting personal story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814

The characters in KOTOR 1 were almost all generic, rehashed characters seen in other Bioware games. Jolee Bindo and Hk47 were the only semi-interesting characters in KOTOR. On the other hand, KOTOR II has one of the best characters in video game and by far the best Star Wars character: Kreia.

Also, KOTOR 1 had a generic "save the galaxy from the big bad foozle who wants to take over it just cause" story, whereas KOTOR 2 had a much more interesting personal story.

_Memento_

Kreia can be summed up as a starwars version of the neutral monk.. And thats it.. Intersting personal story? Half the story didn't make any sense.. Like all these sith lords "popping" up every where.. And having them forming some massive fleet after it was destroyed in the original.. And most would disagree with you.. Most will say HK47 is by far the most unique character.

And you have yet to show how any of the other characters weren't Cliche in KOTOR2's.

And you have yet to try to disupute the glaring flaws it had along with one of the worse endings in history as many are concerned when it comes to a rpg.. The game didn't even give a hint of being mysterious.. It just ENDED, with not knowing wtf just happened.

Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Myrkan
Member since 2004 • 1304 Posts

I really dont know. If you've read some of the stories, they said they were making the MMO because KOTOR 3 as a single player game was ruled out by EA. In other words, if those money grubbing as**oles didnt buy Bioware, we would have a single player KOTOR where we would find out what happened to Revan and the Exile, some of the old characters would return, the Ebon Hawk might return, and you would play as a unique character.

Now that its going to be an MMO, instead of an epic story, its going to be you and thousands of players with the same destiny, or the same mission to learn what happened to Revan and the Exile. This means that the story will be neglected, and because you and thousands of other people are experiencing the SAME EXACT mission at the SAME EXACT time in the SAME EXACT game world, ERRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. In case you havent noticed, this makes me VERY ANGRY. KOTOR is supposed to be a single player trilogy, an incredible story with incredible characters and incredible gameplay. You wont be able to interact with characters like Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Jolee Bindo, and Canderous Ordo. I mean come on. They are all sacrificing an incredible series for some MMO because of EA, those filthy disgusting horrible jerks.

EA IS DISGUSTING.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
[QUOTE="_Memento_"]

sSubZerOo

Kreia can be summed up as a starwars version of the neutral monk.. And thats it.. Intersting personal story? Half the story didn't make any sense.. Like all these sith lords "popping" up every where.. And having them forming some massive fleet after it was destroyed in the original.. And most would disagree with you.. Most will say HK47 is by far the most unique character.

And you have yet to show how any of the other characters weren't Cliche in KOTOR2's.

And you have yet to try to disupute the glaring flaws it had along with one of the worse endings in history as many are concerned when it comes to a rpg.. The game didn't even give a hint of being mysterious.. It just ENDED, with not knowing wtf just happened.

The ending was a bit abrupt, but it still concludes the main plot of the game. You understand what happened to you, why it happened, and you understand Kreia's motives. Isn't that what the game was about? And the worst endings award goes to HL2 + its episodes.

HK47 was a well-written and well-voiced character, it wasn't a particularly deep character. Kreia, on the other hand, was. She craps all over the standard Star Wars lore of lgiht vs. dark and good vs evil. She's an antagonist with interesting and unique motives compared to Darth Malak who just needed a monocle and a long mustache to complete the image of the generic as hell villain who is bad just for the sake of being bad.

As for generic characters in KOTOR 2? Some of them like Mira were generic, yes. But Kreia, G0-T0, the wookie guy, the disciple were all more interesting than most Bioware characters.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
If Bioware is the one developing it then I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because of their streak of great games.

It could be amazing.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darth_Kane

The majority thinks K1 is much better than K2. There have been countless polls and threads about which Kotor is better and in every one of them, K1 won.

But everyone has different tastes and opinions, so there's no right or wrong

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts
I will definitely not play KotoR 3 if it's an MMO.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

it's my impression that it's very close to be not a *if* that KotOR will be mmo.

I don't online while gaming, and so no.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

If they release a 10 day or 2 week trial I'll give the Knights of the Old Republic MMO a chance. However, I've played four MMO's. Only one, Guild Wars, is worth keeping.

Most of the people who work at Obsidian used to work at Black Isle. They know full well how to put good games together that tell good stories. Its hard to deny the story in Neverwinter Nights 2 and the Mask of the Betrayer are far superior to what Bioware did with their Neverwinter Nights. The biggest issue with this company is the distributors. They don't seem to understand that it takes longer to develop a RPG than your standard action adventure.

If you want to grip about the quality of Neverwinter Nights 2 or Knights of the Old Republic 2 I suggest you focus more of your complaints on Atari and LucasArts. Its mostly their fault that these games were in a buggy, unstable, or unfinished state.

sauronthehun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sauronthehun
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts

I really dont know. If you've read some of the stories, they said they were making the MMO because KOTOR 3 as a single player game was ruled out by EA. In other words, if those money grubbing as**oles didnt buy Bioware, we would have a single player KOTOR where we would find out what happened to Revan and the Exile, some of the old characters would return, the Ebon Hawk might return, and you would play as a unique character.

Now that its going to be an MMO, instead of an epic story, its going to be you and thousands of players with the same destiny, or the same mission to learn what happened to Revan and the Exile. This means that the story will be neglected, and because you and thousands of other people are experiencing the SAME EXACT mission at the SAME EXACT time in the SAME EXACT game world, ERRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. In case you havent noticed, this makes me VERY ANGRY. KOTOR is supposed to be a single player trilogy, an incredible story with incredible characters and incredible gameplay. You wont be able to interact with characters like Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Jolee Bindo, and Canderous Ordo. I mean come on. They are all sacrificing an incredible series for some MMO because of EA, those filthy disgusting horrible jerks.

EA IS DISGUSTING.

Myrkan

I agree 100%. You saved me the trouble of typing this up.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts
Probably not. Does me no good on a deployment where I won't have internet.
xNJN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xNJN
Member since 2006 • 1374 Posts
No
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

After the disaster with Galaxies, I think I'd stray away from this. Besides, I think KOTOR is best as singleplayer game.Panther501

Well I think it's a misnomer to title this game "KOTOR 3". I'm viewing it as more of a spin-off of the KOTOR setting as an MMO. Now of course, this means that you probably won't be getting a real KOTOR 3 for quite some time as obviously all Star Wars related work is probably going directly into the MMO.

As for the disaster of Galaxies, that was because of Sony Online Entertainment. Bioware had nothing to do with that game. SWG was actually a decent MMO (for its time) before they completely castrated it. I'll never to this day know why SOE thought it was a good idea to change SWG the way they did. Even after the severe community backlash and loss of countless subscriptions, they still have not reverted the game to the way it used to be. But I guess there is no point now because the game is too dated and people who cared have moved on.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

EA IS DISGUSTING.

Myrkan

I believe everything you posted. EA has said they aren't going to make anymore games without some sort of online multiplayer component. Apparently the new form of DRM is going to be online internet accounts. I don't have a problem with internet activation, but install limits and no more single player only games is just well... very sad.

Sure, the piracy scare has something to do with this, but EA and other publishers are fueling the piracy fire with their DRM that people don't want, so they get the cracked version.

I think if publishers are honestly that worried about piracy, then they need to partner with Valve and Steam, and just make their games available there, instead of enforcing tyrannical DRM schemes. Yes, this is bad for people who don't have internet, or want to install on a computer that isn't connected to a router or something, but it's pretty much either this, or they stop making PC games altogether and you have to buy a console. Yes, I know that piracy on consoles exists, but from the best of my knowledge that's mostly rampant in Asia. If you mod your xbox well then you're kicked off of live, so MOST 360 owners aren't going to take that chance. As for PS3, I would imagine piracy is more rampant there, as they don't really have an enforced online service as far as I'm aware, at least not nearly to the extent of Microsoft. Although right now, Blu-Ray burners are expensive and hard to come by, so that limits it somewhat... FOR NOW.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

While KOTOR 2 had severe flaws regarding it polish I enjoyed it much more than the 1st one.

For one it was a much darker game and captured that atmosphere. Also despite all the movies and games about a failing Jedi order KOTOR2 is the only time I actually felt it. The villains/atagonists were much more interesting than in the 1st. The story, while not having as good of an ending was a much more personal that set up a much better mystery than finding the starfroge.

The characters were much more interesting than your standard Bioware fare and had better interaction among them. For example after finding the Handmaiden's real name you can go and scheme with Kreia about how to use that. Not only that but they were much better written, I never cared about Canderouse (sp?) obsession with war but when Atton Rand began to talk about the Mandalorian and the Sith (?) wars I thought 'this guy is really **** up' It was also much more clever in its use of classic starwars phrases (ie. 'these are not the droids you are looking for' or 'I am here to rescue you')

Not only that but KOTOR2 had much better desinged quests that you had to figure out how to solve instead of having giant directional sings pointing to either 'good solution' or 'bad solution' I loved the one where you can free the two droids, program them for mishchief and then see what happens. or the one where you become the master of the Pazaak tournament.

zhivago_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zhivago_x
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
Kotor 2 with all its failings will always, at least to me, better than the original. Why? Well, it brought me faith into inteligent character design. Kreia, IMO, is one on the best computer characters ever. That cutscene with the Jedi Council reveletaion and her monolouge while sitting nect to that tree always give me the chill. And KOTOR 2 did have the most intersting view on the force and the Jedi/Sith
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

1 of the reasons why i liked kotor 1 better then kotor 2, was that kotor 1 had more exciting worlds to explore.

Kotor 2 was very dull in my opinion, in the world design. It was almost a chore just to get myself to finish that boring mining facility in the beginning. Nar Shadaa could have been a nice viseral place. I know the engine is rather old, but it could pull of some nice locations, like Maaan in kotor 1.

Not to mention revisiting 2 of the same worlds from kotor 1 also made kotor 2 more boring.

Star Wars knights of the old republic was a great rpg game, with exciting characters, choices and story AND exciting locations to experience, which fits the star wars brand.

But kotor 2 was just very dull.

Best thing about kotor 2 was that you could change your characters a lot more.

Also, kotor 2 had you play as some of the other characters for some time in the game, and that was not fun for me.

I liked to create my own character and then have the sidecharacters along and interact with them, but i dont wanna play them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

If its made by Bioware and they get their own servers, then yes I would.

but knowing Lucasarts theyre gonna dump like 50 million into the game, and make it an exclusive for 360...except they will charge 20 bucks a month, not 15.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Good posts, Nikalai_88 and zhivago_x. I agree completely.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lach0121

ok "knights of the old republic" is not a game, it was an Era in star wars that lasted about 7 thousand years before star wars ep1.

they were written as books, and comics long before the games...

so why cant someone make an mmo/rpg out of a universe... not a previous game.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lach0121

and both kotor 1 and 2 were great.

i liked both, equally...

both devs, did a decent job... so one really wasnt better in my opinion..

pdkkbarnes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pdkkbarnes1
Member since 2003 • 391 Posts
KOTOR 1 and 2 are a couple of my most favorite games ever. I will NOT buy KOTOR 3 if it is an MMO though.
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#43 thenewau25
Member since 2007 • 2058 Posts
mmo you said? NAY only sp experience it will fail, but if its form bioware and not osbidian, maybe!
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lach0121

lol this a concept it seems most people fail to realize.

World of Warcraft, is it Warcraft 4???? no no it isnt...

so why do you all think that just because it is a mmo/rpg set in the "knights of the Old Republic" universe.... that is is automatically kotor3?

drkcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 drkcrusher
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

so why do you all think that just because it is a mmo/rpg set in the "knights of the Old Republic" universe.... that is is automatically kotor3?

Lach0121

Absoultly right!

Further, I LOVED SWG BEFORE NGE crap killed it, alot was wrong but alot was right/fixable before NGE.

I'll get the next SW MMO based on KOTOR and let u know if its good or not. ;)

Samazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Samazuki
Member since 2005 • 33 Posts
Your lack of faith is disturbing!
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

If it's made as well as other Bioware games, I'd definitely pick it up. I have more confidence in their ability to make a decent Star Wars MMO than I ever would be in SOE. My main concern about the game would be that it would be nothing but Jedi running around. Not that I have anything against Jedi, but I enjoy playing non-Jedi more often than not. I loved the Dark Forces series, and being able to play a bounty hunter or whatever is a large part of the reason I stuck with SWG as long as I did. When everyone could unlock their force abilities is when I uninstalled and never looked back.

I'm excited to see what the game world might be like. I'm hoping for something like what was seen in the two KOTOR games, but more open world.

Xefiroderc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Xefiroderc
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
No, KOTOR was a great single-player game, and I don't think that it could deliver such an immersive story driven experience as an MMO, though if it turns out to be an amazing game I might give it shot, but I doubt it could feel like the first two games did, a KOTOR MMO, in my opinion, would only be KOTOR in name.
mudflaps2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mudflaps2001
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts

Your lack of faith is disturbing!Samazuki

I lol'd.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lach0121
[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

drkcrusher

Absoultly right!

Further, I LOVED SWG BEFORE NGE crap killed it, alot was wrong but alot was right/fixable before NGE.

I'll get the next SW MMO based on KOTOR and let u know if its good or not. ;)

i will be getting it myself. :)