I feel like im the only PC gamer that dosen't find Crysis's graphics impressive?

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I mean yea the game looks amazing thats for sure. But TBH Crysis never really "wowed" me. The graphics are insanely good but I never really ever got excited over them. And yes I play Crysis on Very high at a decent res.

I personally think games like Company of Heros and WiC and a bigger impact on me in terms of graphics. I guess its because their RTS games but when I look at them you can just see the incredible detail put into the game. With all the units on screen and how detailed the characters are just amazes me. WiC is really special by how much detail is put into everything. The effects and textures work are insanely good for an RTS. It could be me really. I don't find Crysis to be a average looking game. Its the best of its kind really. But I felt like Wic and CoH are what really made me go "Wow."

Anyone have similar feelings?

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

I mean yea the game looks amazing thats for sure. But TBH Crysis never really "wowed" me. The graphics are insanely good but I never really ever got excited over them. And yes I play Crysis on Very high at a decent res.

I personally think games like Company of Heros and WiC and a bigger impact on me in terms of graphics. I guess its because their RTS games but when I look at them you can just see the incredible detail put into the game. With all the units on screen and how detailed the characters are just amazes me. WiC is really special by how much detail is put into everything. The effects and textures work are insanely good for an RTS. It could be me really. I don't find Crysis to be a average looking game. Its the best of its kind really. But I felt like Wic and CoH are what really made me go "Wow."

Anyone have similar feelings?

JangoWuzHere
Wandering around in Crysis looks pretty, but yeah, it's nothing special. But when the action picks up, bullets start flying, pieces of buildings are tossed about, etc. I always find myself thinking "wow."
Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Papitar
Member since 2008 • 2377 Posts

Well, I don't know any game that'd be more impressive graphically. I guess you haven't seen it in it's full glory. And the games almost "old" already =)

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JangoWuzHere

Well, I don't know any game that'd be more impressive graphically. I guess you haven't seen it in it's full glory. And the games almost "old" already =)

Papitar

Trust me I have been playing with the Ultra High config which makes the game looks alot better. Its looks great it just didn't impact me in a way. And Crysis isn't "old" just because it came out about a year and a half ago dosen't make it "old"

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

Papitar
Sorry, but I'm with the OP on this one - I could name at least a half a dozen games that are graphically superior to Crysis. I have a Core i7 920, with a GTX 275, and I can run the game maxed out, easily, and it's nothing to write home about - there's something wrong with the textures. This game is not clear at all. It just doesn't look modern to me. I like the god rays, and I like the water, but other than that, Crysis is ordinary. In my opinion, too many people are being tricked into thinking that because the game has traditionally required a beast of a computer to run it well that the graphics are somehow insanely beautiful. They're not. The game is poorly optimized - that's why it takes a beast of a computer to run it well. The graphics are almost fuzzy at times - step inside any building and you'll think that you're playing a game from five years ago. I didn't play Crysis until last week, when I bought The Maximum Edition, but when I did play it the graphics took me completely by surprise. I might add, as well, that Crysis, obviously, is coming up on its second birthday. To me it's showing its age.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="Papitar"]

Charles_Dickens
Sorry, but I'm with the OP on this one - I could name at least a half a dozen games that are graphically superior to Crysis. I have a Core i7 920, with a GTX 275, and I can run the game maxed out, easily, and it's nothing to write home about - there's something wrong with the textures. This game is not clear at all. It just doesn't look modern to me. I like the god rays, and I like the water, but other than that, Crysis is ordinary. In my opinion, too many people are being tricked into thinking that because the game has traditionally required a beast of a computer to run it well that the graphics are somehow insanely beautiful. They're not. The game is poorly optimized - that's why it takes a beast of a computer to run it well. The graphics are almost fuzzy at times - step inside any building and you'll think that you're playing a game from five years ago. I didn't play Crysis until last week, when I bought The Maximum Edition, but when I did play it the graphics took me completely by surprise. I might add, as well, that Crysis, obviously, is coming up on its second birthday. To me it's showing its age.

How is Crysis poorly optimized? The large open areas and graphics justify the way the game runs.
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

[QUOTE="Papitar"]

Charles_Dickens

Sorry, but I'm with the OP on this one - I could name at least a half a dozen games that are graphically superior to Crysis.

Okay, go on.

RmanForLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RmanForLife
Member since 2006 • 646 Posts

I absolutely agree interiors look terrible. Then again, I've only played on high.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
It wowed me. STALKER CS wowed me even more though. Probably because i love the setting a lot more.
JosemlopesBFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JosemlopesBFly
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

Well, I think that the best of Crysis aren't the graphics, but the physics, they work very well in firefights, although they only work with those houses made of metal plates, those thin trees and the plants. It would be good if all kinds of structure would fall apart, a bit like Red Faction

LT_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LT_Snake
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts
For me crysis is probably the only game, that made me stop for some time to look at those beautifully detailed textures and say WOW
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Install the Triple "C" mod. Looks amazing. Some of the textures on buildings don't look that great. My best experience was in multiplayer as US; you have to dive out of a sub to start. Looked fantastic.

CoH doesn't look that great, but I agree with you on WiC. I love in WiC that you can zoom in and listen to the chatter of the units. Damage on units. Player Icon on some units. Destructable ground looks great as well. Simply an amazing game.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10446 Posts

no they wowed me, especially modded up, cant see how they could be considered anything other than impressive

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JangoWuzHere

Install the Triple "C" mod. Looks amazing.

Swiftstrike5
Triple C actually makes the game look slightly worse. But it gives a major performance boost. Ultra high config I feel is much better looking.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

JangoWuzHere

Triple C actually makes the game look slightly worse. But it gives a major performance boost. Ultra high config I feel is much better looking.

I can't play on Ultra High. That's why I suggested Triple C since it integrates some of the impressive features.

Neither WiC nor CoH look nearly as good as Crysis with Triple C. RTSs are an unfair comparison though. I do think WiC is very impressive for an RTS. A lot of detail put into the game.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

Swiftstrike5

I can't play on Ultra High. That's why I suggested Triple C since it integrates some of the impressive features. Neither WiC nor CoH look nearly as good as Crysis with Triple C. RTSs are an unfair comparison though.

I respect RTS graphics more because it seems much more hard to pull off that kinda stuff. I play Ultra High fine on my computer and it look great.
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Charles_Dickens

[QUOTE="Charles_Dickens"][QUOTE="Papitar"]

pinneyapple

Sorry, but I'm with the OP on this one - I could name at least a half a dozen games that are graphically superior to Crysis.

Okay, go on.

Any game that I mention, you're just going to write: OMG, dude, you think that that game looks better than Crysis - you have no credibility. So why should I bother? That's the reason I didn't mention the half-a-dozen games I've got on my shelf right now that have farther draw-distances, superior textures (by a country mile), and much better animations (the NPCs in Crysis look like robots). When I initially launched this title at the Enthusiast settings I honestly thought that something was wrong - obviously the game doesn't look bad, but no way is Crysis, at present, the best looking game I've ever seen. The graphics just don't justify the relatively low frame-rates - the game is not well programmed at all.
CyberAltair5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 CyberAltair5
Member since 2008 • 1346 Posts

I found the new PoP graphics amazing and that's on medium. But I have to admit Crysis did look fantastic.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AAllxxjjnn
[QUOTE="pinneyapple"]

[QUOTE="Charles_Dickens"] Sorry, but I'm with the OP on this one - I could name at least a half a dozen games that are graphically superior to Crysis.Charles_Dickens

Okay, go on.

Any game that I mention, you're just going to write: OMG, dude, you think that that game looks better than Crysis - you have no credibility. So why should I bother? That's the reason I didn't mention the half-a-dozen games I've got on my shelf right now that have farther draw-distances, superior textures (by a country mile), and much better animations (the NPCs in Crysis look like robots). When I initially launched this title at the Enthusiast settings I honestly thought that something was wrong - obviously the game doesn't look bad, but no way is Crysis, at present, the best looking game I've ever seen. The graphics just don't justify the relatively low frame-rates - the game is not well programmed at all.

I'd love to hear what games these are.
Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Papitar

[QUOTE="Papitar"]

Charles_Dickens

Really? Please do name some =p (not being sarcastic here, really I want to know!)

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
i think a small part of it is monitor size. a game like this really needs a nice monitor to show it off or a kuro plasma even tho it can't hit the higher res you'd still be hard pressed to beat it in the color department which im guessing could be a big deal to seperate the shades of green that are everywhere. again thats all prolly really small part of it tho. i think the physic's is really where the game shines, i had fun tearing those shed type buildings apart, as well as shooting a tree into tiny little bits. i just wish the whole game was like that.....ESPECIALLY people. infact im really really really realy really surprized they didn't, as that would have put this game OVER the top.
dbpvivi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 dbpvivi
Member since 2005 • 301 Posts

Its all in the Colours.

The Artists wen't for realism and used realistic texturees/colours. Warhead although less techniqually impressive as Crysis it had a bigger wow factor because of the art direction. They used more intensive colours and colours that complimented each other rather than what you would find in real life.

The UT3 engine is another fine example of this. Games like Mass Effect can wow a user because of the colours and level design. UT3 actually didn't look that impressive compared although they are using the same technology.

You find WIC impressive and not Crysis though? wtf, WIC has boxy little building that are nothing more than a tectured mesh. The units are cloned and the effects are dated?
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/worldinconflict/images/0/34/
compared to
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/crysis/images/0/46/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;1

Your Mad.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
WiC really WOWed me when I first played it, the scope and size is breath taking. Crysis was amazing though, dunno how people can say otherwise, the detail on the skin etc is mind blowing.
Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

No game has beaten Crysis on technical level, but i believe Red Faction Guerilla will give it a run for it's money

skulper34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skulper34
Member since 2004 • 2747 Posts

[QUOTE="Charles_Dickens"][QUOTE="Papitar"]

Papitar

Really? Please do name some =p (not being sarcastic here, really I want to know!)

hahah! i thougth he was going to mention this one game but i guess he didn't Anyway i could name one game that is superior to crysis. Project Offset

For those who dont know what this game is, Project offset was orignially a DX11 engine, hard to find the true story abouthow this engine came to be but i was good friends with one of the programmers. anyway you will see them use DX10 but it seems like they plan tomove toDX11, this engine was out years before crysis was finished. Was created by 2 programmers and 1 artist.I believe back in 2004 and still remains to be far ahead of anything atm. checkout videoshttp://www.projectoffset.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=12

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

They only failed in animations.

Other than that, it's almost photorealistic.

Maybe you don't like the art sty1e. Realism isn't THAT amazing.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
i think its amazing
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

[QUOTE="Papitar"]

[QUOTE="Charles_Dickens"] Sorry, but I'm with the OP on this one - I could name at least a half a dozen games that are graphically superior to Crysis.skulper34

hahah! i thougth he was going to mention this one game but i guess he didn't Anyway i could name one game that is superior to crysis. Project Offset

For those who dont know what this game is, Project offset was orignially a DX11 engine, hard to find the true story abouthow this engine came to be but i was good friends with one of the programmers. anyway you will see them use DX10 but it seems like they plan tomove toDX11, this engine was out years before crysis was finished. Was created by 2 programmers and 1 artist.I believe back in 2004 and still remains to be far ahead of anything atm. checkout videoshttp://www.projectoffset.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=12

Nothing has really even been shown of Offset...and what we have seen is pretty much tech demos. Lets see the game actually come out and in action before claiming it's superior to any other game.

To the topic...Crysis has the best graphics on the market today...on a technical level...you simply don't like the art **** which is fine but don't confuse the two.

Amigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Amigro
Member since 2003 • 737 Posts

No game has beaten Crysis on technical level, but i believe Red Faction Guerilla will give it a run for it's money

Jekken6

Red Faction looks terrible....

As far as Crysis is concerned... it sounds like they're playing Warhead, which is still better than all games out there atm, but I feel that the original Crysis was noticeably better looking. A lot of the newer games today add a bunch of flash and stuff that looks pleasing to the eye on the surface level, but once you get to the details of it it's far less intricate then Crysis. Also, the detail of distant objects is fricking amazing, that's where the resource hog come into play, those mountains that are half a mile away and you can still see individual leaves.

I would think the only game that is out on the market that comes close is the Stalker games. Haven't played WiC yet.

turaaggeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 turaaggeli
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

Jekken6

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Wait......you were serious? :?

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Baranga

Red Faction Guerrilla owns every other game regarding physics.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dnuggs40
I thought Crysis had better physics than RF. While stuff was destructible...it feels really cheesy and unrealistic. Hit a building with a hammer and it falls apart like lego's lol. The destruction...feels...um...off for some reason. I though the first RF was better in that regard. Obviously the physics weren't as good but the destruction felt right...blasting through walls had real impact...this game seems like every structure is held together with super glue.
Kicker_of_Cans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kicker_of_Cans
Member since 2009 • 444 Posts
I acknowledge it's technical achievements, but I prefer the visual design to TF2 and GTA4. It's all a preference thing.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Baranga

I agree RFG looks a bit strange. I don't have a console, but even the videos have this... floaty feel.

On the other hand, having such a gigantic amount of objects flying around without boiling the 360's processor is an amazing accomplishment.

Compare that to the CryEngine 3 video, where the framerate was abysmal when just shooting a bloody tree:|

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dnuggs40
Well I played the demo and was pretty excited about it...but it just feels...cheap I guess. I dunno, maybe some with like it *shrug*
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
When the graphics get to a certain point it becomes hard to pick up the technical differences, the artstyle becomes the deciding factor. I'm thinking you just don't like the artstyle in Crysis, which I can relate to. I personally think that Zeno Clash and Stalker look more pleasing than Crysis overall, but trying to look at it objectively it's hard to come up with anything better than Crysis in its genre.
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Charles_Dickens
When the graphics get to a certain point it becomes hard to pick up the technical differences, the artstyle becomes the deciding factor. I'm thinking you just don't like the artstyle in Crysis, which I can relate to. I personally think that Zeno Clash and Stalker look more pleasing than Crysis overall, but trying to look at it objectively it's hard to come up with anything better than Crysis in its genre. mr_mozilla
And that's what surprises me about the comments posted in this thread - it's obvious just by looking, that in order to get this engine running on most people's hardware, Crytek had to use low res textures. Art style has nothing to do with it. The textures in Crysis are so obviously low-res that you'd have to be Stevie Wonder not to see it.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Crysis certainly is the most impressive game .. in sheer size and awesome graphics. Games like WiC do look amazing but their graphics only seem impressive when I consider they are RTS/RTT crysis has low textures :lol: good one
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Baranga

[QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]When the graphics get to a certain point it becomes hard to pick up the technical differences, the artstyle becomes the deciding factor. I'm thinking you just don't like the artstyle in Crysis, which I can relate to. I personally think that Zeno Clash and Stalker look more pleasing than Crysis overall, but trying to look at it objectively it's hard to come up with anything better than Crysis in its genre. Charles_Dickens
And that's what surprises me about the comments posted in this thread - it's obvious just by looking, that in order to get this engine running on most people's hardware, Crytek had to use low res textures. Art style has nothing to do with it. The textures in Crysis are so obviously low-res that you'd have to be Stevie Wonder not to see it.

Use mods if you don't like them.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
[QUOTE="pinneyapple"]

[QUOTE="Charles_Dickens"] Sorry, but I'm with the OP on this one - I could name at least a half a dozen games that are graphically superior to Crysis.Charles_Dickens

Okay, go on.

oh what a cop-out :| and here I was thinking I had missed out on some kind of awesome-looking game...
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Charles_Dickens

... crysis has low textures :lol: good onenaval

Wait a minute - are you actually going to tell me that those textures are hi-res? Wow. Just wow.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

[QUOTE="naval"]... crysis has low textures :lol: good oneCharles_Dickens

Wait a minute - are you actually going to tell me that those textures are hi-res? Wow. Just wow.

Wait a minute - are you actually going to tell me that those textures are low-res? Wow. Just wow.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dnuggs40

I am trying to figure out what Charles is trying to say...but have to admit I am coming up with nothing. I was just browsing a bunch of Crysis pics and the textures look high res to me. Maybe if he could post some examples of what he is talking about it would help...

Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Papitar

[QUOTE="Papitar"]

Charles_Dickens

I'm still waiting... I feel like I've missed some big games here?

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

I haven't been wowed by a game graphically/technically since I first seen Super Mario 64 on display in 1996. Crysis looks fantastic in addition to other modern games, but graphically it's the benchmark on the market, though Crytek lacks in art direction personally. Visually Call of Duty 4, Team Fortress 2 and Gears of War were more appealing to me.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

What's the best mod for making Crysis look as good as possible?

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

[QUOTE="pinneyapple"]

Okay, go on.

Any game that I mention, you're just going to write: OMG, dude, you think that that game looks better than Crysis - you have no credibility.

So why should I bother?

That's the reason I didn't mention the half-a-dozen games I've got on my shelf right now that have farther draw-distances, superior textures (by a country mile), and much better animations (the NPCs in Crysis look like robots). When I initially launched this title at the Enthusiast settings I honestly thought that something was wrong - obviously the game doesn't look bad, but no way is Crysis, at present, the best looking game I've ever seen. The graphics just don't justify the relatively low frame-rates - the game is not well programmed at all.

I was going to write that? You said there were better looking games I'm just interested to what games you're actually talking about. If you're going to make a statement at least back it up.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AAllxxjjnn
The only game i can think of that looks at least AS good as Crysis is Clear Sky...but yeh, i'm still waiting to hear those half a dozen games that beat Crysis' textures by a country mile.
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

Um.....:shock: If you don't find Crysis graphic impressive, then you find no game's graphics impressive. I feel sad for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

You can't argue with the pics: